Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Frankly we don't need anything but the Caribbean and the Western Med.

But we need every scrap of both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

paragon1 posted:

Why are my fellow members of the New Taifas ranting about the Almoravids when Palermo is right over there!?

why would we want an indefensible exclave in Italy when we could remove the dagger from our back?

If you're worried about Palermo so much you could always suggest vassalizing it. Without Sardinia, Corsica, and the Balears, any direct Italian possessions become difficult to defend anyway.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

paragon1 posted:

I don't, but if you want to rant nonsensically about traitors then surely you should start with Palermo?
Did Palermo literally ally with the French?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The proposal specifically grants the Sultan free reign to use whatever tactics are needed, including breaking up that alliance.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Everyone wants to give the berbers credit for their long past semi-aid, and ​not their recent treason. Thankfully my fellow Taifas see the light!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Also re: this bizarre obsession the Ulema have with getting us involved in the kingdom of heaven:

Our own house isn't even in order, we have a responsibility to the Muslims of the West. Leave the holy land to the caliph, it's his job.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Once again, the Sultan is empowered by the bill to do anything it takes to crush the Almoravids, including preemptively severing their alliance with France or allying with other powers. AND this is placed second after the reestablishment of Iberia's natural borders.

E: indeed, I fail to see why our oldest ally dumping us for the French isn't being treated as the existential threat that it is by all factions. The Almoravids have
1. Threatened the Taifas by creating a pincer surrounding Al-Andalus
2. Threatened the merchants by stealing our islands
And 3. Made common cause with the largest, most aggressive Christian power around for the express purpose of attacking their fellow Muslims. When we allied with Christians, it was to fight other Christians, as is proper!

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 2, 2017

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The Almoravids will pay their due but I actually agree that we're forgetting our priorities. Draft legislation is inbound to rectify this!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The French have proven a paper tiger, the decadent fools of Morocco are isolated, and Europe is in flames, now is the hour friends!

Finish the Job Act
1. Prioritize the final annexation of Aragorn and Castile, along with all French holdings in Iberia.
2. The Sultan is granted broad mandate on how to accomplish this, including what constitutes sufficient manpower, when to attack (preferably when the French are distracted by the Catholics however), and what to build.
3. In order to lock down our reconquests, forts should be constructed action the Pyrenees as they are retaken, to stymie French advances.

Further, I encourage fellow Taifas to use our postal system in the future, so as to create the most comprehensive bills possible, rather than splitting ourselves into many pieces.

I would also remind them that while Moroccan colonies needs must be ours eventually, our hold on the Majils, and thus our chance to complete the Deconquista, will not last forever.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 4, 2017

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It'll be the Western Med vs the Eastern Med for March of the Eagles

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Staying with the Taifas

I like the new kid. Seems smarter than who we thought we were up for.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I propose the Al-Andalus Under Arms Act. This grants the sultan mandate to do whatever it takes to maximize our effective manpower. This includes the construction of barracks, preference for manpower in special events, and alliances with enemies of France or Morocco.

Addendum: said alliances include the Catholic League

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 9, 2017

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Agreed. Whatever happens, Al-Andalus will always need more soldiers, though hopefully they'll prove a bit more loyal than the last batch.

A slight alteration.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I strongly suggest our Merchant compatriots focus on taking all the islands, not the mainland.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

To rule is for those with swords and coin, not mere imams.

The Majils was created the lead, not to read!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Mountaineer posted:

"We should attack Morocco and take their poo poo."
"Oh no Morocco allied our rival, those traitors!"

Come on, guys.

They literally did this before for no reason at all.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean do recall that we destroyed France and severed this alliance before. Morocco is much weaker, we could easily sever it when we take their colonies.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Taifas, huddle up!

Now, as to the Jizrunids, which royal rules is royal business, and not for we humble servants to stick our soft, fleshy necks into. With that said, I propose a bill for all of Al-Andalus! Even for our opposition parties, who sunk the Iberia-spanning super power we created into bankruptcy and civil war! It's almost like merchants are meant to advise, while imams and bootlickers are meant to be silent backbenchers!

The Mountains and the Sea
-An all mandates and quotas granted and demanded by Al-Andalus Under Arms are renewed
-Forbids aggressive action without sufficient funds or manpower, though what is deemed sufficient is at the sultan's discretion (save that there be no outstanding loans).
-Demands the construction of fortresses along the Pyrenees, to slow French advance
-in any conflict with France or Morocco, priority is to be given first with severing their alliance, and second to severing any relationship they possess with Iberian minors.
-in event of war with Morocco, the Navy is to block the straits to prevent Berber access to Al-Andalus
-Aggressive action against France or Morocco is only to be taken in the event that France is already distracted by another major conflict. Morocco's engagement or lack thereof isn't relevant.
-The capital is returned to Cadiz sure why not

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 14, 2017

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I would support this, provided with one caveat: the capital should be returned to Cadiz. Toledo's vulnerability to French invasion and Christian uprising, along with it's youth, make it entirely unsuitable.

fine

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Hashim posted:

Just to make sure, is this only for the Taifas or are you proposing it as a coalition? If it is a coalition, you'll need to announce who's partnering you. If you want a greater likelihood of it passing, then it'd be better for it to be restricted to the Taifas.

Also, starting from the next policy session, I'll probably put a block on moving the capital except under certain circumstances. Can't be moving everyone around every couple years. I might even move it to Cordoba, as a compromise between the two options.

Only Taifas

E: I am attempting to craft standing policy for the Taifas. You don't necessarily need to hit every demand, just be aware of what we generally expect. I think this is better than us just asking for, say, the building of barracks for decades at a time.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 15, 2017

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The 'Why fight with what's broke?' Act

This act revives all previous demands and permissions granted by The Mountains And The Sea and Al-Andalus Under Arms acts, save that the Sultan is now expressly forbidden from offensive warfare. We are in tatters, and it is the height of hypocrisy that the merchants and imams who derided us as dangerous warmongers are now trying to go to war in this state AND attempting to revoke the rights of dhimmi in an attempt to further shred the fabric of the realm.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Assuming they're unprotected we might want to just squish Aragon or Castile and get it over with.

on the other hand the boring but practical buildup military policy has proved about as solid as we can hope for at the moment

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's Time.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Dance Officer posted:

The Taifas consist of buffoons and inbreds. Their incompetence in leading our armies was on display in our last war. Only after the death of most of the officer corps could reforms and modernizations take place. Men of noble birth are not automatically suited for leadership roles.

I remain with the League

An absolute pile of nonsense, we've been a minority party running on a consistent policy (in fact, literally the same policy) of rebuilding and defense throughout the entire regency and mercantile shitshow. It's not OUR fault our budget for training officers and researching new arms has been strangled by a colonialist majority :colbert:.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The Taifas do not speak in treason. Nor, however, do the merchants or the misguided imams, who understand at least the importance of the body. Rather, it is these so called "loyalists" who TRULY weaken the house of Jizrunid. They seek to infantilize our sultans by simplifying their political sphere via primitive absolutist tendencies, thus robbing them of crucial political acumen needed to deal with the other great powers. Further, this is a blatant abrogation of responsibility, and act of laziness which forces the rightful duties of members of the Majils onto the already beleaguered Sultan.

Resume your posts, whatever they may rightfully be. Go to the merchant houses, the mosques, and the qasbahs, and do as you ought to do, rather than bringing harm and burdens to the royals.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Alright, to business then. I think our strategy of creating package bills has been serving us pretty well.

Concurring with Soup, I think Aragorn should be our first priority.

Sevila I Do Like It

1. Terminate Aragorn immediately, should our mercenary forces be deemed sufficient for doing so and they not be protected by no higher power.
2. Cease all military action until our debts are paid off and our forces be restored to at least 75%.
3. Once our warmaking powers are restored, strike at the Moroccans, aiming primarily to take the Seville and Qharibya trade nodes. If the Sultan sees an additional alliance as needed for this operation, he is given mandate to pursue such.
4. When our truce expires, presuming we are not at war with Morocco and they are unprotected, terminate Castille.
5.. Maintain military research and construction as deemed appropriate by the Sultan.

Taifas, any proposed amendments?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Taking proposed amendments into account:

The Sevilla Do Like It

1. Terminate Aragorn immediately, should our mercenary forces be deemed sufficient for doing so, and should they be protected by no higher power.
2. Strike at the Moroccans once we have a greater army, a budget surplus, and equivalent military technology. Tangiers is to be our primary target, with secondary importance being granted to particularly juicy Qaribyan holdings and enlarging our vassal.
3. When our truce expires, if they are unprotected by any great power and our forces are deemed sufficient, terminate Castille.
4. Maintain military research, military construction, and debt payments as deemed appropriate by the Sultan to further the above goals.
5. Not a single goal on this manifesto, or on any other measures passed by this body, is to be considered an acceptable reason to provoke war with France. Don't do it.

Signatories of the previous bill, for legislative ease, can probably be considered to carry over unless they say otherwise?

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I would give the Sultan more freedom in eliminating Castile. When the truce ends, we strike.
Restrictions lightened.

Soup du Jour posted:

Seems like a solid plan, although I'd prefer that any war with Morocco be more targeted towards enlarging our vassal in the Maghreb. Weakening Morocco while keeping our administrative power free for Iberia would be ideal.

Dance Officer posted:

Don't wait till the debt is paid off. Strike Morocco when Al Andalus has a bigger army and is at least on the same mil tech, and there's a surplus in the budget.

Oh and we should take Tangiers for ourselves. We want to dominate to dominate the Sevilla node as much as possible. Everything else can be pawned off to vassals.
Compromise arranged.

Grizzwold posted:

I would like an amendment to points 3 and 4 to also exclude a war with France, whose truce with us will expire at the same time as Castille's. We should avoid having to fight on two fronts if at all possible. Also point 1 is a bit hard to parse, "should... they not be protected by no higher power" seems to be indicating that war is preferred if they have powerful backers.
The French Problem clarified.

This is not an official legislative position, but informally, I believe I speak for all the Taifas when I say I agree with the merchants that force is likely not the best solution to colonial unrest, at least not at this stage. Perhaps we might arrange hear from colonial delegations at the next summit? A matter for the Sultan's consideration.

Of course, should talk of taking up arms turn from more than just talk...

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 12, 2017

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That does seem to be the move.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

e: amended version further down

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 14, 2017

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

gently caress Em, They're French

1) THOU ART THEE STICK OUR BOYS IN THE PYRENEES DO IT DO IT DO IT
2) All spending, research, and building rights granted to fulfil point 1
3)Do this:

quote:

Haven't played this in years, but is the go-to move for crushing France still occupying most of the country, then just hanging out on it letting revolt risk rack up and manpower crater while you loot them for 5 years, then finally signing the peace and letting rebels split them into 15 mini-nations?
4)When peace is made, take as much Iberian French territory as possible, possibly throwing some to Castile so we can beat it out of them later.
5) Build fortresses all along the Pyrenees

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 14, 2017

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

by the way Soup you should add "adopt defensive ideas" to Great Wall

e: unless we already have that, in which case folding humanism in would fit with the theme of peace and security

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah actually forget defensive ideas, just add Humanism.

Also we don't need to cancel war with Morocco I think, orders are only valid for one session

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

the forts are part of the war package so you can just vote for Humanism

it's unlikely that we'd have the provinces to put them in before the end of next session anyway

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean really the only contradictory command comes from the Ulema demanding Religion and conversion, where we of the much, much larger ruling faction want Humanism and peace. Everything else is fairly straightforward.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I suppose our new toes across the line and the existence of Castile don't hurt the centuries long dream of pretty borders MUCH. We did it people, our borders are, in practical terms, secure!

Beyond the mop up and border enforcement, I believe our next concerns should be soothing all ruffled feathers in the colonies and finding a way to take Moroccon holdings both along the straits and in the Caribbean.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The Southern Design

1. Extinguish Castille the moment the truce expires, providing they don't suddenly acquire French protection again.
2. Once our internal borders are thus secure, begin spreading money and influence around to acquire allies against Morocco both in Africa and in the West.
3. Once a sufficient force of allies and our own troops have been built up, cross the straits with intent to seize Tangiers as well as other territory along the straits.
4. Secondary to the aforementioned territory, seize Moroccan colonies and force them to turn over territory to our allies and vassals.
5. Do not engage if France will join the conflict. Take whatever actions are needed to break up this alliance.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 19, 2017

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

As an aside, though not a formal proposal, I think in further conflicts with France we should refrain from taking their land directly. If we end up in a defensive war, we should focus on ripping off bits of the south for Provence, taking colonial holdings, forcing them to release places like Brittany, and giving off their eastern holdings to the various random German states. We don't really need our foot any further in the door than we already have it.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 19, 2017

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I meant Provence.

Palermo frankly should be back on The List now, along with Sardinia. Those debts are long due to be paid back.

As for Gaul, gently caress no, we finally have a nice, defensible mountain border and have restored Al-Andalus, we don't need to traipse around Frankish fields and involve ourselves in new fronts. Let's focus on restoring old holdings, the colonies, and conquest of the Western Med.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I should probably have included taking Sardinia when that truce expires in the proposal.

Oh well, Sultan's prerogative.

Yessod posted:

That's what we'd suggested last time. Drive up revolt risk and grind manpower to 0 through long occupation, split off French nations. Instead we got the Pyrenees and independent Corsica for some reason. So, get ready for another war with France as soon as the truce is over. We barely bloodied their nose, they'll be coming back.

I just don't want us expanding North because France is boring and trite. It still behooves us to weaken them though.

To my mind, I want us to eventually directly rule Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Sardinia+Corsica, Sicily, and Naples.

E: in the case of North Africa this means mostly the coastal regions, we don't need big chunks of Sahara

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean we're not here to NOT blob, we just have to blob in novel ways.