Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

I, Lutfi al-Uthman, will remain with the Taifas! The Christians are puny before our might! France shall fall to the forces of Al-Andalus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Frionnel posted:

Either we give them rights or bring them to Islam, this status quo promoted by the merchants will lead us to disaster.

Hmm, you're right. This has to end somewhere, and fast!

I, Lutfi al-Uthman of the New Taifas, hereby propose that in order to stave off any further rebellion we are to acknowledge and formalise the Dhimmi's rights before the Sultan, as well as the rights of any Qarbiyan Dhimmi that may arise due to the Merchants' efforts in the west. The rights of worship and language of all Dhimmi are to be protected in return for loyalty and a standard Jizya tax. Let Humanism become the future for Al-Andalus!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

I, Lutfi al-Uthman, will remain with the New Taifas! We've already squandered the opportunity to invade France once, I will not allow us to squander it again!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

TildeATH posted:

Proposing Olé -- Conquer Iberia first and foremost and then take back historically Muslim lands like Corsica

I, Lutfi al-Uthman, of the New Taifas, endorse this proposition! With so few friends we really don't need to alienate the few friends that we have, even if the slights of the Almoravids are many.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
How about a proposal?

When - not if, WHEN - the French-Almoravid Alliance kicks us in the nutsack, can we not just throw the "Let's attack our oldest ally in pure pettiness"-faction into the Oubliette? I can't in any way whatsoever see any gain from this decision, and I am the one raving on and on about establishing the Rhine as the new Islamic border into Europe which might just be the only thing the French-Almoravids stood in the way of.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Mr_Autoshades posted:

Proposing The Coming Storm Act: Mandating that we spend the time we need to in order to recoup our military force(Land & Naval) and manpower up to pre-war levels, and prepare for the inevitable powder keg that is Europe to Ignite. When the conflict breaks out we should declare war on France in an endeavor to further Cripple France's ability to war with Al-Andalus.

Reasoning:
- We Beat France once but I highly doubt that we'll be able to do it again if they get better allies (Like the Almoravids)
- We want to avoid any Military adventures until it can do the most good for the Sultanate
- France Is going to Start Colonizing eventually, the fewer resources they have at home means the less they have to do so.
- We probably won't get a better opportunity to kick France in the Teeth
- I'm pretty sure the King of France said something rude about your mother

I, Lutfi al-Uthman of the New Taifas, joyously endorse this proposal! It is good to see some common sense amongst my Taifa brethren for once.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Hashim posted:

Also, I didn't see this mentioned anywhere, but if the Majlis wants to get involved in the coming religious wars in Europe, we can join either the Evangelical Union (Protestants) or Bavaria's league (Catholics). Alternatively, we could just wait for it to break out then attack, but then without our own allies, essentially what the Coming Storm Act proposes.

I, Lutfi al-Uthman of the New Taifas, say that we Aim Opportunistically rather than joining either side of the conflict. By allying with Bavaria we're merely limiting ourselves to not getting anything out of it, which is far beneath what Andalusia should strive for. Let them have their conflict! We'll merely mop up what remains when France already has bled themselves dry.

Luhood fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 4, 2017

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Hashim posted:

There isn't a Muslim reformation, but there is the potential for the Sunni world to be divided into two big blocs - the Armenian and the Andalusi - later on down the road. Depends on a few things happening though, like us refusing to bend to the Vakhtani Caliphate.

Incidentally, what would have been the effects of acknowledging his authority? I mean with the choice already made it shouldn't be any danger in revealing it to us, no?

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

You are illegitimate and and traitor, along with your thrice-accursed mother. The Majlis cannot be realigned because you have no authority to call it! We of the New Taifas demand that surrender all power to us immediately, so that a real Sultan can be crowned!

Agreed! This so called "Sultan" needs to be torn down from his throne, his mother thrown to the French, and the New Mubazirun castrated and sent to force-labour on the plantations in al-Qarbiya!

-----

And with that roleplaying out of the way, what faction needs to be in power for us to select Humanist ideas? With all of this nonsense about heathens and heretics within our borders we really need some way to erect a proper Dhimmi system to ensure they won't try to stab us the moment we look the other way.

Luhood fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 8, 2017

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
I dunno, as much as I want to make the reasonable choice I've been playing a raving, warmongering madman all this time. I can't really stop now with a good conscience.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Frionnel posted:

And yet you didn't support my war against Morocco! Not raving warmongering madman enough if you ask me :colbert:

I'm a raving, warmongering madman against the RIGHT people! Or do you think the Rhine sounds like a reasonable border of al-Andalus? :colbert:

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

I, Lutfi al-Uthman of the New Taifas, propose the Cutting the French act. We are to declare war upon France in a moment of their weakness, NOT to seize any lands but to free lands from French yoke.
  • Castille is to be wrested out of their role as Vassal and be given freedom once more;
  • Aragon is to be given back all lands from Rousillion and southwards;
  • Navarra is to be given to Castille, assuming we managed to wrest them from French hold. If we didn't they are instead to be given independence;
  • The Mediterranean Islands are to be free, which means Sardinia be given independence and the Balearic Islands be given to Aragon, to Corsica-Sardinia or Independence - in that order of priority - depending on which we are able to;
  • Finally, if the War Score allows it (which I highly doubt), we are to split of the Gascon and Occitan lands - in that order of priority - into their own independent states.
Unlike the rest of you I don't really care for the insanities in the west. My goal, the true goal for any Andalusian general worth their weight in steel, is to do what al-Thaqafi couldn't and make the Andalusian borders lie on the other side of the Pyrenees. The only way to ensure that is to weaken the French, to further down the lines annex these lands and these people into the Andalusian fold. The only way to do that is to ensure the French can't do anything with them to begin with.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

And how useful would an alliance with them have been at that time, precisely? We still had a large amount of Iberia left to reconquer, allying Morocco at that time would have been at best useless (if we opted not to attack the powers in Iberia subordinate to France) by virtue of blunting our ability to act, and at worst actively counter productive when we did it anyway and they chose France over us!

Except that's not how alliances work. Morocco was allied with France, not at the time still independent Castille/Leon/Whatever. So if we attacked them for our proper Iberian clay France would join them in the defence, and at worst Morocco wouldn't be callable to our war. In the meanwhile Morocco would actually be a strong defence against France, seeing how the AI tend to favour defensive wars over offensive and the AI wouldn't be interested in starting a war that could break their alliance. Like I've said previously, allying Morocco would be the worst offensive move we could've done if our goal is the Rhine - which for most of us it isn't. Defensively it could've been one of our best moves since it gave France much greater reason not to try anything untoward.

That said the alliance wouldn't really be useful any longer considering Castille is a vassal and thus would drag them into our war with France, but still!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Fellow Majils! I, Lutfi al-Uthman of the New Taifas, hear you all calling out for us to ally a strong Muslim power to strengthen our position. Now, I only ask of you one thing:

Please point out the possible candidates for such a things! As you'll soon find, there are none. There are currently only three strong Muslim Powers in the Mediterranean that aren't us: Morocco, Tunisia, and the Armenians. Two of those three are our Rivals and Enemies, and the third already is our Ally. I suppose that lavender-coloured one north of Armenia is possible, but what good will they be when France and Morocco comes breathing down our necks? What we need to do is stop having our heads stuck so far up the Dar al-Islam and start realizing how desperate we are for help. How desperate we are for allies. Any allies.

As such, I propose the simply named Bavarian Alliance Act. We need to ally with Bavaria as a means to protect ourselves from the French and our so called "Muslim Brothers" in Morocco. Only then, when we are safe from the overbearing sword of our rivalling neighbours, can we start even thinking about rebuilding.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

I, Lutfi al-Uthman of the New Taifas, propose the "Free our Dhimmi" Act! Should they be found in a precarious position we are to attack France with the goal of having them release Castille and if possible Corsica-Sardinia.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Frionnel posted:

Taifas life for me.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Soup du Jour posted:

It's time for Iberian Consolidation. Annex Aragon as soon as possible, and then Castile as soon as the truce ends. We need to end these minor principalities as soon as possible, and set the stage for the final confrontation over the Pyrenees. Also, France is way too strong to take on right now.

Seconding this one!

Scratch that, new post shows I have changed my mind!

Luhood fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 12, 2017

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Seeing how Soup du Jour's "Iberian Consolidation Act" was revoked in favour of Rodyle's proposition my vote is suddenly free again.

Mountaineer posted:

I propose we secure an alliance with Mali. They might be willing to help attack Morocco, so I think it's worth pursuing. While they are unlikely to be much help in any of our other wars, it can't hurt to broaden our alliance network.

As such I, Lutfi al-Uthman of the New Taifas, will support seeking an alliance with the West Africans. We need every ally we can get if we are to ever resist the French menace, not to mention if we want to steal the Colonies from beneath the very noses of the Moroccans. If possible I will also support Rodyle's "The Sevilla Do Like It" Act, but my premier vote is with Mountaineer in case I don't get a second one.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Frionnel posted:

Proposing the Bill of Rights Act:
The Sultan is to put an end to our constant rebellion problem by adopting Humanist ideas.

I, Lutfi al-Uthman of the New Taifas, support this suggestion! I'd also like it if we were to add the Leonese and Catalans to our list of protected Dhimmi, but really I'll be supporting Humanism either way.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Rodyle posted:

The Southern Design

1. Extinguish Castille the moment the truce expires, providing they don't suddenly acquire French protection again.
2. Once our internal borders are thus secure, begin spreading money and influence around to acquire allies against Morocco both in Africa and in the West.
3. Once a sufficient force of allies and our own troops have been built up, cross the straits with intent to seize Tangiers as other territory along the straits.
4. Secondary to the aforementioned territory, seize Moroccan colonies and force them to turn over territory to our allies and vassals.
5. Do not engage if France will join the conflict. Take whatever actions are needed to break up this alliance.

This sounds like a nice proposal!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

France is on its knees, and the Maghrebs are falling as their colonies one after another break free from their colonial masters at home. Only a firm militaristic hand can properly advise our sultan of sultans, and help him make use of the situation we now find ourselves in.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

If Morocco isn't on the table here, there's nothing to discuss. Islam at home, empire abroad.

Morocco is one of our Rivals unless I misremember, so they should be on the table as we want them to be.

EDIT:
In all my haste I forgot to vote...

AJ_Impy posted:

/

Proposing a Coalition motion: Death to All Infidels.

*Convert everyone not currently a true Sunni to the faith of our beloved Sultan, to suppress revolts.
*Pounce on one of our rivals when they are isolated and weak, and when we have the manpower and resources to do so.

Additional submissions will be considered, and added in if need be. What one cannot achieve, the many can.

This looks like an intriguing proposal, and while I personally do think acknowledging them is more appropriate than force-converting them I also see the need of compromise if we want to get our stuff through.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

/

Proposing a Coalition motion: Death to All Infidels.

*Convert everyone not currently a true Sunni to the faith of our beloved Sultan, to suppress revolts.
*Pounce on one of our rivals when they are isolated and weak, and when we have the manpower and resources to do so. In specific:
-If Morocco or France become involved in a war or rebellion, Al-Andalus will immediately declare war.
-The war goals against Morocco are the seizure of Tangiers, and then as much adjoining territory as possible.
-Against France, it is their removal from the Mediterranean by whatever means necessary and possible without directly taking territory for Al-Andalus.
-Moroccan intervention takes priority over French.

Additional submissions will be considered, and added in if need be. What one cannot achieve, the many can.

With these additions I don't really have anything to intervene with. Supported!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
I want to propose a simple act so that we the Taifas have something to fall back on should the coalition fail to bear fruit. But at the same time I know that if I propose a new act I will in fact withdraw my vote from the coalition and thus potentially ENSURE it will fail...

Oh these dilemmas! Hashim, help me out here! Is my math correct or have I missed something? And if I have in fact missed something, and the coalition will succeed even without my vote, would it be rude of me to ask for 'bout an hour or so to write one up?

Luhood fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 26, 2017

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Hashim posted:

As it stands, the Taifas will form most of the support in the 'Death to All Infidels' coalition with or without you, so it'll be fine for you to withdraw and propose your own policy so long as other Taifas don't start supporting the other coalition. The only problem currently facing the Death to Infidels coalition is that it has only two Ulema supporting it, so it needs at least one more Ulema vote for it to be tied with the current Ulema Madressa policy, and two more if it's to succeed without issue. So, as things currently stand, neither coalition will pass.

Also, if you need time then sure, go ahead and write up your proposal.

Swell, thanks for the heads-up!

I, Lutfi al-Uthman of the New Taifas, am proposing the Jizrunid Middle Sea Act. It consists of two one thing:

1. We are to Vassalise Sardinia! If possible by Diplomacy (i.e. if we aren't at less than 50 Relationship already and if the button isn't X-d out with some massive amount against or something), and if not by Force! Thus we will secure our hold on the Middle Sea and secure the Jizrunid legacy by grabbing lands France stole from us ancient times ago.

2. Throwing a bone to the Ulema we are to ensure all Andalusians follow the True Faith, by which I mean ridding the Garnathan heartland of the Shia menace. The Dhimmi are excused in that they don't know any better having no proper history with Islam before coming under glorious Jizrunid rule, but Garnatha really should know better than that!

By doing this we secure large parts of the western Middle Sea under our rule by loyal subjects. Other proposals are already trying to deal with the Moroccan issue and with Oversea affairs, thus I feel it only proper that we too pull our weight.

EDIT: Turns out converting the Shias is illegal under this administration.

Luhood fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 26, 2017

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Hashim posted:

I pointed this out in a different policy, but this part of the proposal is illegal. Provinces can only be converted by policies when the Ulema are at least the second-largest faction, anything less than that and conversion is completely banned, except through coalitions.

Oh! My mistake, I thought it meant that conversions are illegal If proposed by the Ulema! Never realized it meant "Completely", will change it at once!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Before the great age of exploration we the Majils helped the sultan make and found our nation, and together we have ensured that Andalusia have thrived in both fortune and strife. Up until now! Now the sultan spits at our memory and curses our very establishment. Utman III has gone too far!

I, Lutfi al-Uthman, sides with the Majils!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
As much as I'd like to blame everyone left, right and centre, I also know that right now we have other things to be worrying about. A vote for B is a vote for a stable Andalusia.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Alright people, place your bets: Will Utman lose his member?

I'm gonna go out on a wild-card and say he gains one!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

We're Taifas together, Taifas forever, we're nobles yet so much more!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
As much as I love both Innovative and Defensive ideas, we're in somewhat of a pickle with both Admin and Military right now.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I propose The Devilishly good deal contract

Thus I will endorse this proposal! Let's throw the Merchants a bone and have some money start flowing into our coffers!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Ikasuhito posted:

this raises a good point, why would anybody want to go to the colonies? it seems like that's a good way to get murdered and your home burned down every few years. each of our colonsy should consist of like 3 Guys.

You kidding, right? I mean, have you seen our homeland recently? First the many wars under Utman III, then the greatest civil war in European history the Fitna during which we were invaded once again, and now finally the reign of Al-Mushin when we were once again invaded and had our asses collectively handed to us until our northern enemy got dogpiled by its many neighbours.

Sure, the colonies get their fair share of warfare and invasions, but by large they're significantly better off there than in wartorn Iberia.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Patter Song posted:

If you're talking about how different they are, how about that they border a still large native empire holding half of Mexico in 1700?

That sounds like something that could be very easily dealt with come Victoria, or even in EU4 if we stop trying to declare war on Moroccan colonies already.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Hopefully not, it's a great thread!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Woo, Al-Andalus is back! Glory to the Sultan and all that!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Why can't Andalusia ever catch a break? Poor Jizrunids...

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I propose the Andalusi Consolidation Act:

1. Reconquer Portugal, by whatever means necessary.

2. Begin aggressive colonial expansion in North America, with the goal of a land connection between our two major colonies there.

I may be late to the party, but the Taifas have my vote and Cyrahzax has my vote!

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Y'know what, let's give as good as we get shall we?

When we win over Morocco, force the Independence of some of her colonies!

There is very little chance we actually manage to succeed in the war against the Gharbians, considering how difficult it will be to actually invade them without a navy. Let's deal with Morocco and then take on France, them we should manage to defeat without greater issue - specially when we're in a Golden Age.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

I propose the Andalusi Reconstruction Act!

We are to, in no specific order:
  • Secure an Alliance with a great power in order to stave of any hostility and aggression from Morocco and France in this time of strife.
  • Do our best to pay off our rampaging debts before they take us out first.
Once these both are done I am sure there are other things we need to be doing in terms of other Acts and Propositions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
We all did everything wrong... gently caress, I'm almost a bit sick to my stomach how many just want to see everything burn and seemingly take pleasure in it. I know it's all a game and all, but... gently caress.

Hashim posted:

If the sultan and Majlis wanted his head, they could come get it,

That said, this man really deserves to be our Zuriman once this all finally breaks down. The sheer balls on this man.