Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
That Steve Harvey impression was so on point too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Over here in the UK we have a comedian named Frankie Boyle who does an election retrospective show after each election and he did one for the American election where Michelle Wolf was the American guest on to provide the "local view". I didn't realise she was big enough to have an international following but I definitely think she's improving and carving out her own niche from Kristen Schaal.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

raditts posted:

I like the idea that Trevor goes home at night and watches his own show.

It's probably still new enough to him that he finds it incredible. Let him get a few years under his belt, get a little jaded.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Yeah the Stewart generation is done. I still watch but I'm not able to watch live anymore so I catch up after the fact. Thread is pretty dead these days which is a shame as the correspondents still knock it out of the park usually. Ronnie Chieng feels criminally underused and Roy Wood Jr and Jordan Klepper are solid these days. Hassan Minaj is also usually excellent though his "teen talk" segments don't really do it for me (probably cause I'm 32 next month).

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

This protestors bit is infuriating. I'm trying to remember if Colbert would have done the segment any differently back in his day

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Echo Chamber posted:

The bit's infuriating or the subjects?

It made the point that people protesting are real. I didn't think it was that funny.

The people but I guess I also felt Desi could have mocked them a bit better if that makes sense?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

shades of eternity posted:

I confess

Meal team 6 both made me laugh hard and is one hell of a loophole. :D

It was an excellent segment.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

It looks like they rushed curling Michelle Wolfs hair back from her recent relaxed look for that Rachel Dolezal bit.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

So the President Show is just a temporary thing?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

John Kasich shouldn't have used a shepherds metaphor for leaders. I just kept waiting for him to accidentally call the citizens sheep.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Eh I didn't hate it. Its only many to be a temp thing until Jordan Klepper launches though right?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Just catching up on this week and I was expecting the guests on Monday to be Jon Favreau, the famous director and Jon Lovitz the famous comedian plus a third guy.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Can't you just go through the archives and jean everything tagged with Fox? The 50 lies in 50 seconds type stuff is what I'd start with personally.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

The Trump thread was so not down with last night's Antifa piece so figured I'd come here and see the direct hot takes but forgot this is a dead thread :(

I liked Ronnys bit with the Australian students. Ronnys always a good time.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

You give Antifa a pass on random loving vandalism because a)it's random loving vandalism and b) there's a literal 50/50 chance it was enacted by a state infiltrator, as has been the discrediting tactic for basically forever.

Turns out the bit was largely loving hypocritical of him, considering he's A-OK with police gunning down striking miners. But I guess state violence gets a pass from him.

https://twitter.com/shujaxhaider/status/903664218884501504

Video is unavailable for me, got another link?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Loved the bus tour bit. Lets have more of that and less of desk.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

raditts posted:

Imagine if The Nightly Show was the best we could hope for in terms of post-Colbert TDS spinoffs.
I would like to see Larry have a show somewhere else though, maybe with a longer show that doesn't come on every day so the panel thing could actually have a chance of working. I imagine he would have a lot to say about the way things have been going since he got cancelled.

Larry has a podcast called Black on the Air which is honestly fantastic. Turns out long one on one interviews are where he shines, he was wasted in the panel format. He gets excellent guests too.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

get that OUT of my face posted:

And TV shows that focused on good politics first and entertainment second did fuckall to stop it. John Oliver can attest to that. Shows like Last Week Tonight have only increased this year. None of them are good, none of them are insightful, and none of them give me any reason to tune in.

If shows like Bojack Horseman and Broad City can turn serious topics into something that's funny and worth watching, then why can't yet another Daily Show clone do that? My problem isn't that they have a point, it's that they do nothing with it. I don't watch TV to be lectured.

I'm not clear on what exactly you want these shows to be doing.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

get that OUT of my face posted:

A lecture from John Oliver or Jimmy Kimmel isn't that. A bunch of condescending snark from Sam Bee isn't either. If you're going to do political comedy, don't forget the comedy part.

Trump is ramping up tensions with North Korea! *makes clown face and goes bloopety*

Politics is a little unnerving right now. What the Daily Show under Jon did best was to sometimes put away the comedy and just be informative, and these successor shows are trying to follow that mold. You want it all to be funnier but I really don't see what that should translate into while still being informative.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Hey guy I was arguing with earlier: I just tried the latest episode of the Jim Jefferies show and I think it might be what you're looking for. He doesn't preach, he pretty much just riffs on one segment of current news without downplaying its seriousness and then take a look at something else happening in the world and its never stupid or unfunny.

(To reiterate, I'm reviewing the most recent one, Oct 10th and haven't really seen a full ep before just they occasional thing on YouTube)

If you make it your only political themed show and since it airs once I week I think you should give it a shot.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

IRQ posted:

Deep dish owns.

I've never tried deep dish but I believe that Italian guy, he was very convincing and I liked the way he took it apart.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I'm watching the Rose McGowan interview from last night and I can't tell if she's crazy or not...

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I've had a wicked flu all week so I've been binging past episodes of the opposition in the background while I work. It can be a bit over the top but when it hits its point well it's absolutely gold.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

The Daily Show is now releasing the entire show as a podcast with no ads. It's fantastic and it's become my getting ready in the morning background noise. Only downside is obviously it ruins visual gags but I can live without the few of those for the sheer convinence.

It's called Daily Show: Ears Edition.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Boywhiz88 posted:

So it’s come to this: The Daily Show Clips Show

Well sadly that was only the first few episodes, now it's clips and extended interviews (which are a good idea). And they've been doing clips forever, it's just part of any modern shows social media. Don't see it as a bad thing.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Echo Chamber posted:

Nightly Show was more interesting to discuss because of all of its rough edges. I can't say it was a good show. It was frequently dreadful.

But I would have liked to have seen how Larry would have took on the Trump presidency, Kanye, Dennis Rodman in the Singapore Summit, Black Panther, BBQ Becky, and Permit Patty.

He has a podcast, you can find out.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I can't believe this thread is so dead that the host can have a minor scandal without it even being posted. Is it Trevor or is this just the wrong show for our Brave New World?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

I crush a mix of Jim Jefferies and John Oliver and it somehow balances out to old Daily Show kinda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

swickles posted:

Was fun. Florida Man got tackled which was nice. The taping itself was less than an hour, which seems super efficient, so props to Noah, the crew, and writers for keeping it that tight. Also, Noah handles a crowd as well as anyone in terms of Q&A and the inevitable dumb questions.

If you don't watch/listen to the between the scenes clips they're excellent.

• Locked thread