Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I was more thrown off by the writers thinking that chanting "shame" originated with loving game of thrones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, felt like an ARG/viral thing where they try to make it seem like someone hacked the feed. Something to do with Russia and the president.

Edit: it listed a site:
http://www.thepresidentshow.ru
(registered by Viacom, spoilers!)
redirects to a twitter account in russian

Lemme guess, they want people to follow this account, thinking he will leak stuff like the piss tape, then on Saturday (April Fool's Day), they prank everyone.

Or just marketing for the trump tweet museum.

e:
In case you're too lazy, the tweets say, in the order posted:

Make the night again late

Great things ahead!

Make the television gorgeous again!

IRQ fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 30, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Echo Chamber posted:

Black Twitter is the only redeeming part of Twitter.

The rest is either an alt-right/gamergate shithole or white Hillary supporters and white Bernie supporters fighting over who's more woke.

Twitter owns. Twitter gives everyone, from the illegitimate president of the USA to celebrities, to regular every day idiots, an unfiltered megaphone with which to blast their stupidity/racism/etc. out into the sucking void of the twitterverse. And when you tweet into the abyss, the abyss tweets back.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/30/us/drexel-professor-tweets-trnd/

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/03/01/former-clinton-volunteer-in-hot-water-after-swipe-at-widow-fallen-seal.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/magazine/how-one-stupid-tweet-ruined-justine-saccos-life.html?_r=0

http://www.businessinsider.com/fired-over-a-tweet-2015-5

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I don't know what I think about that but it's not like you could pay me to watch Nightly or @midnight so that's a win for Comedy Central in that I'll at least try it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

jojoinnit posted:

So the President Show is just a temporary thing?

I mean ratings aside, it's only a weekly show to begin with; it's taking thursdays at 11:30. Reducing the burden on the Klepper project to 3 days a week might be a good move after the creatively bankrupt Nightly Show shat itself at least 3 of the 4 nights it was on anyway. Maybe Klepper can handle 3 nights of being a Colbert-lite?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

im still shocked by how long "that's my bush" lasted on comedy central lasted

i put it in the same catagory

That's my Bush was amazing. It was not so much "Bush bad!", because, you have to remember, this show came out in like April of 2001, he hadn't had time to really do anything terrible when it was written, so he became more just the bumbling oaf sitcom character in a parody of old sitcoms. Perhaps you were thinking of Lil' Bush, in which case I agree with you that was hot garbage, but That's my Bush was good.

The President Show, however, is awful.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It was always that way.

Or at least it was criticized for it. I guess Jon Stewart would lay some more sick burns on CNN than Trevor does.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Grand Fromage posted:

How do people still think painting themselves orange is a good look?

Because the other option is their ghoulish translucent skin, a pallid reminder to everyone around them of the imminence of their death.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Last Week Tonight is still excellent though.

The main story segment has been pretty devoid of anything resembling comedy for awhile now and has become "hey idiot, here's a thing that sucks about america you should probably already should have known about.".

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

-Blackadder- posted:

What recommendations of really compelling Daily Show clips can you goons make?

I don't know that something that is going to be mocking him is the best path to enlightening him.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

And it's... the Colbert Report again?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Generic American posted:

It's not so much the pronunciation as the emphasis. Same thing as how Trump says "China"— technically correct, but he drags out the wrong syllable(s) and sounds like an alien trying to blend in with humans. Antifa ("an-tee-fuh") stands for "anti-fascist", but Trump says it like the "-tifa" is the primary part of the word rather than the combination. So instead of emphasizing "Antee-Fuh" or just a fluid "Anteefuh", it becomes "An-TEEFUHHH". And it certainly doesn't help that he just blurts it out on its own like he literally just learned it five minutes prior and wants to show off his new word to everybody.

He invented the term you know.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Hot take: Antifa owns and Trevor Noah is bad

Hot take: it's a really complex problem that isn't easily or quickly answered. And I imagine the guy that grew up under apartheid might have a fairly good sense of that. I don't necessarily agree with him, but I get it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Oh Snapple! posted:

Had to rely on dailymotion for it, bit starts about 8 minutes in

For anyone unfamiliar, video of the incident in question is here, and you can see the miners being ripped up by a hail of gunfire as they flee disoriented from a cloud of teargas at about 1:25, so, you know, don't watch if you really don't want to see that.

It's a bad loving set.

Hey I hadn't seen this one before, thanks it was fun! :)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

NutritiousSnack posted:

Trevor Noah, the guy who grow up under apartheid, was only allowed to participate in a multicultural society thanks to protestors that make antifa look like pacifist pussies. I have a lot of problems with antifa and when they use violence but lmao no

Did I not say I don't necessarily agree with him? I was only saying that perhaps people like oh snapple who have some kind of insane vendetta against Trevor Noah and the daily show in general (this is not the first thread I have seen that poster go off the loving deep end with unhinged bullshit about him and other daily show alums [did you know jason jones and sam bee are kkk grand wizards according to oh snapple?]) I might consider that Trevor Noah actually lived this poo poo and might know a bit more than we do, he does a great impression of Mandella after all!

LinYutang posted:

I used to sometimes dislike Jon Stewart's handwringing about how he was "just a comedian" but for the most part he did not lean into the same type of sanctimonious antics that Oliver / Bee / Noah eagerly engage in. There was a little more humility on his part which was refreshing.

Please, Jon Stewart would be falling in line with the "violence is always wrong" message too.

None of these people are going to give a positive view on antifa.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah like I said, unhinged vendetta.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

WampaLord posted:

Maybe y'all need to be having huge arguments about what you're going to promise people in 2018. I recommend healthcare.

I can't wait to see how the democrats find a way to gently caress up in 2018.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Trevor's "when should black people protest" piece was really really good.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Echo Chamber posted:

So Jordan Klepper's show started last night. I'll give it a shot for a week at least.

I'm rooting for the guy, but I'm not sure if we need yet another Alex Jones riff.

I think a better "Colbert Report... but in the Trump era" would be a parody of all the YouTube rationalists that D&D mocks.

I couldn't make it through the first episode. Colbert Report only bad was not doing it for me, as much as I liked Klepper on TDS.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Phi230 posted:

tevor noah had a 5 minute long standup bit about killing striking miners

Yeah I've seen it it's pretty funny but it sure does sound bad when you take it out of context.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Imagine if The Nightly Show was the best we could hope for in terms of post-Colbert TDS spinoffs.
I would like to see Larry have a show somewhere else though, maybe with a longer show that doesn't come on every day so the panel thing could actually have a chance of working. I imagine he would have a lot to say about the way things have been going since he got cancelled.

If Larry could murder Bill Maher in the thunderdome and take his show I think we'd really have something.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

FELD1 posted:

It didn't help that toward the end of Larry's run on Nightly Show he had to pad out his panels with those idiot staff correspondents and they'd talk over the guests constantly.

Oh god I had blocked out my memory of those idiots. They were all just so painfully unfunny.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Klepper's show just makes me bored. I'm not sure if it's just actually bad or there's just so much of this kind of thing now, but between TDS, Colbert, Full Frontal, and LWT I kind of have a glut of political comedy shows to watch.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

get that OUT of my face posted:

And TV shows that focused on good politics first and entertainment second did fuckall to stop it. John Oliver can attest to that. Shows like Last Week Tonight have only increased this year. None of them are good, none of them are insightful, and none of them give me any reason to tune in.

If shows like Bojack Horseman and Broad City can turn serious topics into something that's funny and worth watching, then why can't yet another Daily Show clone do that? My problem isn't that they have a point, it's that they do nothing with it. I don't watch TV to be lectured.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 11, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Trump can't actually do that though, at least not the way he seems to think he can.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I really can't stand when they do a week somewhere and it's all just references to crap in a city I've never been to and don't care about.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Polygynous posted:

gently caress deep dish tho

Deep dish owns.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

He also clearly let the pizzas sit out and get cold and yeah deep dish is absolutely not good that way.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Echo Chamber posted:

Well, Noah and Klepper have been back from the break for a while now. I'm still watching both shows, as imperfect as they are. I don't see the need for a new 2018 thread.

A thing that's irked me a lot about about Klepper's show is when its characters don't distinguish between liberals and the left. Like, I'm not sure if it's because the right wingers they're parodying don't, or if it's because the show's (presumably, generally liberal) writers are uninterested in the schism between the Left and liberals.

Like, I understand just ignoring the conflict going on in the Democratic Party and progressivism entirely, because the dumpster fire of the Right already provides too much material, but this problem (for lack of a better word) always flares up for me when Klepper's character talks about how Hollywood and MSNBC are Left-wing. And now, Oprah's a Leftist too. Maybe this is a problem that "says more about me".

The only people who make this distinction are capital L Leftists and middle aged white women who still blame bernie for hillary loving the dog in 2016.

So I feel your pain, but don't expect the late night comedy guys to get this granular. The politicians that have taken the progressive vote for granted all this time certainly don't.

So The Opposition actually got ok? Maybe it's time to give it another shot.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Every comedy show on the planet is going to give a hot take on the taint this week, strap in for all the fresh hilarity.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I had to turn of Colbert early during that, which is saying something because I like Amy Schumer a lot. The whole thing is just so lazy.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

PT6A posted:

If you can't laugh at taint jokes you're just dead inside.

I've had a really awful week so far so a little bit yeah.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

I enjoyed The Nightly Show. It took a bit to find it's legs though.

The Nightly Show had good episodes, when it really wanted to.

The problem was Larry Wilmore seems like he was deep into trying to give his comedian buddies breaks on his show but none of them were any good and had shitall to say about most of the topics.

I can't really get into the opposition. I like Klepper but he's not Stephen Colbert and I'm not sure trying to make another Colbert-like character is going to work when the world is literally on fire.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Atomizer posted:

This was pretty much it. A discussion among comedians cracking jokes in-between trying to have a serious conversation can work, but not really between like 5 people on a 30-minute show, that's really 22 minutes without commercials, and even less when you take out the intro/outro and any skits, etc. I think I was mostly interested in TNS because it reminded me of Tough Crowd (and I guess also to an extent Bill Maher's shows.)

Maher can get sort of real guests though, so his show's panel format works a bit better. Aside from Bill Maher being a part of it of course.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

JazzFlight posted:

The panel about space featuring Neil deGrasse Tyson and two idiot comedians was one of the frustrating things to watch and completely turned me off to the show. It was actively hurting the cause of science/knowledge to air that garbage.

Oh god now I'm remembering the episode where that guy from Blackish goes all anti-vax in the most ignorant way. "injecting yourself with a disease?! That's crazy!!!" :science:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

jojoinnit posted:

I can't believe this thread is so dead that the host can have a minor scandal without it even being posted. Is it Trevor or is this just the wrong show for our Brave New World?

Is this something other than him taking poo poo for calling the french soccer team african?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hooo boy there's really no defending that joke, it just keeps getting somehow worse at it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It's just that it's such a mean-spirited joke that is fully punching down, and 2013 wasn't long ego enough that that's any sort of excuse.

e: i get that he's taking some kind of stance like you can't apologize for every joke you tell as a comedian or it'll just never end but that's the kind of copout people like Bill Maher used when he decided to casually drop an n-bomb.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 26, 2018

• Locked thread