Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

Could be an issue with the 12v rail on the PSU, it would be odd to see video drivers cause a systems to hard crash nowadays.

GPU temps should be fine if they are under 80C (under load)
CPU should be fine if they are under 70C (under load)

The 550 G2 has adequate 12v rail output

and MSI state that their 970's require 28a

How old is the PSU? The caps can age and as a result reduce the output of the psu.

Run a Furmark GPU load test and see if the system crashes exactly as you describe, if it does my money would be on the PSU being sus.

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Ularg posted:

Unsure whether it's a safe thing to do or not. If I need to be grounded and using anti-static wristband while doing it.

i would not be grounding myself if the PC is connected to the mains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread