Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Ularg posted:

All parts besides the computer case itself and one of my Hard Drives are just turning a year old this month.

What PSU do you have? Is it also a year old like your new components, or the same age as the case?

If your temps aren't reaching much above 60c, it doesn't sound like an overheating issue. Did you record these temps while playing games that cause your computer to turn off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Ularg posted:

Yup, I had the game running on one monitor and HWMonitor on the other monitor. I wish there was a way to record it to view it after a shutdown, but as I kept looking back it never got above that 60ish mark.

PSU is also just turning a year old now, EVGA 550 G2 Supernova (550 Watt PSU)

I also opened the side panel of the case up and use a regular fan to circulate air out of the case but it didn't help. Could a dead case fan still connected to the Mobo cause problems? Besides the overheating issue, just having it connected and possibly drawing power.

I'm able to run the computer for as long as I want, hours and hours after this problem started and have no issue until I start running demanding games like Doom 2016, Mad Max, and Homefront The Revolution.

Having a broken case fan plugged in shouldn't be causing these problems, but if you've got the case open already you may as well pull it. I can't imagine the ~3 watts at max the fan could pull would be enough to take down the system.

Are you overclocking your CPU and/or GPU? What do you have your computer plugged into (the wall, a power strip, ups)?

Do you have your old PSU still?

I don't know if hwmonitor does, but many computer sensor programs (HWiNFO for example) will allow you to log to a file. I'm not totally convinced that the issue here is temperature related though.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jan 4, 2017

• Locked thread