Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Helsing posted:

No. I said, and would continue to say, that if you think the current team of Democrats in the White House have done a bad job of running the party then you should be skeptical of candidates they endorse for the DNC.

Why should this override the candidate's stated beliefs and actions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Helsing posted:

I wouldn't say it should override everything they've done, skepticism doesn't necessarily mean total opposition, it just means you should be wary of why this candidate is getting the endorsements they are getting. In this case I think he's essentially the anyone-but-Ellison candidate and that elements of the democratic party who are resistant to giving ground to progressives are endorsing him for that reason.

But why would they back a progressive candidate like Perez if their goal is to forestall progressivism? This is, and I must admit being gleeful at the chance to use this phrase, "9-dimensional chess".

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Condiv posted:

supporting the TPP isn't progressive

So the sole litmus test should be: do they support trade deals y/n?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Condiv posted:

tpp is a poo poo trade deal. sorry if i think a guy who's for nafta 2: nafta harder isn't progressive. plus, perez has other problems like suggesting the "bernie is for whitey" meme during the primary, refusing to take a stand against dems taking mega-donor money, being in the pocket of the same establishment that has been screwing over the poor for 8 years, etc. All good reasons to support ellison over him, as well as ellison having actual election experience

Okay, so Perez's sins are 1) he insulted Saint Bernard Sanders of Burlington, 2) he refused to advocate running the Democratic party on no budget, 3) he held public office under the Obama administration which has been actively hurting the poor, unlike white presidential administrations, and 4) he distinguished between NAFTA and the TPP, which is another insult against Saint Bernard Sanders of Burlington.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Condiv posted:

1) making false attacks against a primary candidate sucks, and i think he's not trustworthy because of it

2) bernie seemed to run his campaign well enough on small donors, ditto obama. maybe the dems should have to appeal to the general populace instead of taking billions from mega-donors only to lose.

3) yep, he's the pick of an administration that has been coddling bankers after they destroyed the economy and letting said bankers kick people out of their houses. obama letting the banks off with a slap on the wrist after they were caught forging ownership documents so they could evict people is hosed up, and I'd like as few people associated with that poo poo in control of the party

4) nafta is terrible and has been used to gently caress over the poor in all signing countries for the benefit of the upper class. TPP is nafta redux and is poo poo, and a supposed labor advocate and progressive should be against it.

got it?

Well, to judge from the Bernie diehards, it wasn't a false attack at all. Furthermore, it's also possible for someone to be wrong about something without it being a nefarious conspiracy to destroy you.

Sure, let's rely on squeezing money from the people least able to afford it, because by god, we're gonna run this place on the cheap instead of taking advantage of the free money being handed to us by idiots.

Okay, let's blacklist everyone who held public office as a Democrat before 2016, except for the Blue Dogs who disavowed Obama and got their asses kicked in elections.

TPP isn't poo poo and latching onto it as a nefarious gambit by Haim Saban and George Soros to drain the blood of the poor is one of the many reasons why Bernie diehards can't be trusted with power.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Condiv posted:

except he knew it was wrong. it was a smear campaign. also love that you are clinging to "bernie diehards" to try to win an argument

money from mega-donors is not free, it's always got strings attached. also, bernie didn't have to run his campaign cheap, and neither did obama. what did the excessive donations to the hillary campaign buy her? a loss to an orange clown who had half her money

nah, just the ones being pushed by the obama administration. you can tell the difference right?

yeah, i'm not gonna believe that after nafta was pushed the same way and then turned out to hollow out the poor and middle class.

You can't prove that, you are engaging in conspiratorial rhetoric. In fact, all your thoughts on the issue seem to be purely half-baked. You want to punish that uppity Obama because someone told you he personally destroyed the middle class with NAFTA, so you pretend that Democrats generally were all in favor of having wild horses tear all bankers apart on live TV and only oppressed into silence by B-Rock the Islamic Shock. You insist that Obama funded his campaign on small donors, but people donating the maximum legally made up a full third of Obama donors as compared to a quarter donating $200 or less. Bernie Sanders, meanwhile, also took money from PACs and large-scale individual donors as well. You basically are ignorant of a great many things and subsist solely on memes rather than actual thought. Your mind has been wasted.

Agnosticnixie posted:

The only idiots are the people who think oligarch money is a gift rather than an investment to ensure that the party remains a watchdog of capital.

And yet only the mighty consider free trade an unequivocal good.

Money doesn't allow people to mind-control you, moron.

Actually, the really rich don't like free trade as such, preferring trade rigged in their favor. It's academics who push for free trade as such.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Agnosticnixie posted:

Good thing there are no other ways to manipulate things and people besides physical coercion and telepathy.

Free trade is rigged in their favor.

The whole reason taking money is considered corrupting is because of the sense of reciprocity, which is not inevitable, and the worry of losing further money, which is an asinine thing to consider because it ignores why businesses donate money to politicians in the first place.

OK, well, if we want to play semantics games, I'll say that you're committing a foul by using hazy definitions that are whatever you want them to be to win the argument, which is against the rules and disqualifies you from speaking for the next three turns.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NNick posted:

The DNC is not a policy position, but one of power.

Since Perez comes from the Clinton wing of the party, people outside of that wing are skeptical he can remain neutral.

Ellison represents a shift to the left in who has organizing power. The democrats need those people to organize.. centrists don't organize. Since the Clinton democrats blew the last election, when it was her turn, now it should be someone who represents the people routinely demonized and delegimized during the primary for being impractical. A claim that became an absurdity when Clinton lost.

Perez doesn't "come from the Clinton wing of the party" any more than Ellison does. Both are firmly on the left wing of the Democratic establishment. Neither will give the Bernie-Or-Busters what they want.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Is "maybe a guy who thought it was a good idea to run Hillary Rodham Clinton as our 2016 presidential candidate isn't the best choice to run our political party" an illegitimate chain of reasoning?

Having decent political instincts is a qualification for the job, and Perez made an enormous miscalculation in the most recent, highest-profile contest in the business. I'm not saying he had to back Bernie to be qualified. If Perez had backed Biden or tried to draft someone else, that would be acceptable proof of "not a complete loving moron" status to me. But nobody who looked at HRC in 2015 and thought "yes, this is a great candidate" is qualified to run any political party. Not even the Greens.

On the other hand, should the Democratic party be run by morons who don't understand how political primaries work?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Do you have any evidence that Ellison (or Buttigieg or any of the other candidates running for chair) don't understand how primaries work?

Not talking about Ellison, I'm talking about you. You are saying that Perez should be locked out of the candidacy, because you don't understand how political primaries work. That is, we should orient the leadership of the Democratic party around you and people like you, who know very little about anything. Why is this considered a winning strategy?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I like that the Democratic party now has to, at a point where it needs money more than ever, support itself entirely on the backs of the poor. Possibly unions too.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Please tell me how primaries work in a way that explains why Perez backing HRC was not, as it appears to us mortals, a mistake but rather a brilliant move worthy of Augustus Caesar :allears:

quote:

Is "maybe a guy who thought it was a good idea to run Hillary Rodham Clinton as our 2016 presidential candidate isn't the best choice to run our political party" an illegitimate chain of reasoning?

The only way for you to say this while understanding how the US Democratic Party selects presidential candidates is if you were to conclude that the party leadership should have resisted the will of the Democratic Party membership and rigged the primaries for Bernie, or if you were to conclude that Hillary Rodham Clinton should have uniquely been banned from running as a candidate in the primaries for the 2016 presidential candidate nomination. Both of those things would mean that you should still be locked out of any power within the Democratic Party, as you are announcing your intent to abuse that power and hijack democratic decision-making in favor of a oligarchic tyranny.

Alternatively, you don't know poo poo about poo poo but want to trumpet how much you hate that uppity HRC. Your choice.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Reminder: the primaries literally had a built-in method for ignoring the will of the party voters, they were called "superdelegates" and all they loudly announced that they were going to vote for Clinton right out of the gate. I'm sure this didn't effect Sanders turnout at all, though. Neither did the AP calling the race for Clinton the day before the California primary because of those superdelegates.

And yet the margin of victory for Clinton was greater than the total number of superdelegates, which was not true in 2008. It's far more reasonable, without resorting to the inane argument that there was this silent majority of Bernie voters who would have voted if not for the rascally superdelegates and the criminal Associated Press, to say that the 2008 primary was rigged for Obama than that 2016 was rigged for Hillary.

Neither one is reasonable in absolute terms, either.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The French Communist Party, which distinguishes between party leadership and lay membership similarly to how the superdelegate system does, is counter-revolutionary. :cool:

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

turns out elections are actually determined by live human voters, not money, as HRC found out last november

You need money to pay human workers. Can't rely on volunteer labor indefinitely, not just for the moral reasons, but for the simple pragmatic reason that people need to loving eat you loving moron.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

trump had basically no ground game and he won

turns out if people don't want to vote for you you lose no matter how much money you have

In order to do things like a 50-state strategy, you need people on the ground doing things like sparking turnout. In order to counter voter suppression efforts, you need people on the ground driving buses and getting people registered and explaining that they won't get in trouble if they vote with no ID. In order to serve disenfranchised groups and get them to turn out, you need people on the ground. In order to engage in the kind of machine politics you'd probably need to increase turnout substantially, you need people on the ground. In order to engage in local politics, you need loving people on the loving ground to find the loving candidates you need to run against the loving republican dogcatcher that runs unopposed. Fuckface.

EDIT: Also, 3 million more people voted for Hillary Clinton, and you masturbating to the thought of her being thrown in a woodchipper won't change that. Nor will, before you start, busting out Jacobin spank banks about how reality doesn't matter.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NNick posted:

Perez was routinely mentioned as on the short list for VP. He was in Obama's cabinet, and endorsed by major donors who accused Ellison of being an anti-Semite.

To say Perez and Ellison are the same is pure revisionism.

Nobody said they were the same person, so I don't know why you quoted me while raving to thin air about how Obama's foul neoliberal essence has coagulated in the body of all his cabinet members, just like how Frances Perkins and Harry S Truman were politically identical back under FDR.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NNick posted:

I don't know if you are missing the point on purpose.

Perez comes from the Clinton/Obama wing of the party. I don't think this thread is about litigating why that wing of the party is bad, but denying it seems to me like an attempt to equivocate Ellison and Perez.

Ellison is not beholden to centrists for his political career and is clearly seen as a threat to their power.. Even if Perez and Ellison were identical on policy, where they come from is informs us on who they are beholden too.

Ellison and Perez are both establishment Democrats from the left wing of the establishment, based on their relationship with the party and their expressed political opinions. Obsession with the prospect of Clintobaman fluoride corrupting the precious bodily fluids of one and not the other privileges personal associations over political beliefs, and transposing this onto political beliefs privileges stupidity and ignorance over knowledge.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fiction posted:

I grasp it well. I'm saying I and people like me trust Ellison more than Perez to play the game in a way that actually reflects how voters feel, and not how Haim Saban feels.

Haim Saban doesn't vote?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Crowsbeak posted:

His single issue and the fact he has millions shouldn't overwhelm the voice of thousands of others .

Characterizing a Jewish person as a phony infiltrator attempting to hijack politics from real Americans is sketchy. So is using terms like "donor class", and singling out Jewish people as exemplars of this "donor class" that apparently is distinct from the bourgeoisie. There are perfectly innocent explanations, I am sure, but y'all can't control your fool mouths for long enough to throw some bloodthirstiness at auto execs alongside "unmanly" industries like finance and entertainment.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fiction posted:

Hey, as an anti-Zionist Jew, go gently caress yourself for this argument. Many of us are very unhappy with the stranglehold that wealthy people have on Democratic politics and it has nothing to do with being Jewish or unmanly or something insane like that.

I'm sorry you're unaware that there are more rich people than financiers and entertainment industry people, and that they donate money and shape politics via their wealth-generated power, such that you merely run up against antisemitic stereotyping due to your fetishization of loving ConAgra and GE and Lockheed Martin as more innocent than the guy who brought over Power Rangers. I hope you become smarter and less ignorant in the future, such that you can successfully criticize the role of wealth in American politics.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Insisting that it's Jewish Zionists who control American foreign policy concerning Israel more than the MIC and various Gentile imperialists is also very telling.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cease to Hope posted:

Haim Saban personally condemned Ellison, something ConAgra and GE executives did not.

A shame people extended that to "Saban is a fake American and the most relevant example of wealth corrupting politics", then.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Periodiko posted:

No one said this, either.

There's this little concept called "implications". When you set a dividing line between "voters" and "Haim Saban", you are implying the latter is not a legitimate member of American society. When you insist Saban is just an example and so there's nothing sketchy about constant references to him, you are implying he is the most relevant example. I hope this lesson in high-school English has illuminated you.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fiction posted:

He is the most relevant example of a donor getting too big for his britches and trying to strongarm the party into doing what he wants in the election this thread is about. Hope this helps.

Would you, perhaps, describe him as "uppity"?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fiction posted:

Nah I'd describe him as one of the only donors who in broad daylight tried to smear one of his political opponents as an anti-Semite (despite the fact that many Jews are backing him) because he wouldn't give Israel the tongue-bath that's apparently required to become a Democrat.

Ah, so he's deceitful, possibly even congenitally a liar, given that he attempted to claim someone was antisemitic when Jewish people liked them, since as we all loving know antisemitism is defined as "Jewish people disliking you," you schmuck. I do like the vast Zionist conspiracy implied by this belief of yours, where no Zionist actually conflates support for Palestine with antisemitism, but it's all a malicious web of slanders.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cease to Hope posted:

Brainiac Five, how do you feel about the ADL accusing Ellison of anti-Semitism? Do you feel that Ellison did indeed invoke "the specter of age-old stereotypes about Jewish control of our government"?

I support Ellison, so your gotcha is really loving bizarre. It's almost as if, like the ADL, you conflate criticism with hatred.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cease to Hope posted:

I am highlighting the similarities between an argument you clearly reject and your own accusations. Nobody's pulling Haim Saban out of the air; he decided to involve himself in the race.

Which of course justifies everything up to and including Crowsbeak's verbal vomit. Involve yourself in politics and you are no longer a real American.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fiction posted:

Huh? I'm just saying prominent conservative Democrats who support Israel love to trot out accusations of anti-Semitism when it comes to critics of Israel despite the fact that the Jewish population in America is increasingly at odds with that viewpoint.

So you defend yourself from charges of being a conspiracy theorist by insisting you believe politicians should simply transmit the will of the volk. Uh huh.

Fiction posted:

"Involving yourself in politics" is not the same as "using your ill-gotten riches to unduly influence politics in your favor," which is where 99% of political activity actually stems from in America. It's not unique to Haim Saban but he got himself involved very publicly in away that many people have had enough of.

Weird how this disproportionately focuses on entertainment and banking, and not, say, the auto industry asking for Japan to be denounced as a currency manipulator and forced into opening up their markets, as Rep. Sander Levin made a statement about just this week.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fiction posted:

OK first of all how the gently caress are American Jews "the volk." What the gently caress is wrong with you.

Second, "but trump" is the worst goddamn defense I've ever seen for anything involving the DNC.

You're the one insisting that these statements are illegitimate because Jewish people in America are less supportive of Zionism now, which implies that the ideal state of politicians is as a passive, soulless entity without thoughts or beliefs of their own, merely reciting what the people believe.

Sander Levin is a Democratic Representative from Michigan. Please don't open your mouth without knowing what you're talking about ever again.

Cease to Hope posted:

Haim Saban directly intervened in this election, while auto industry executives did not.

You don't actually know that. You assume that we would hear about it, rather than it happening via private conversations and backdoor meetings. At least Saban made his accusations public.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

How dare you not manufacture imaginary meetings to support my argument, sir! How dare you!

The automotive industry of course has no influence on politics, unlike the rootless cosmopolitans of the entertainment industry.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's honestly shocking me how you all are falling all over yourselves to insist Haim Saban is the greatest manipulator in American politics and other industries are basically innocent. Are you doing this out of knee-jerk reaction? I really, really hope so.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cease to Hope posted:

On the contrary, people in this thread are assuming it's happening. You were the one who came storming in, insisting that using Saban as an example of large-dollar donors exerting their influence was anti-Semitic.

You just said that it wasn't happening. That only Saban had interfered. Lie more convincingly.

After that lie I guess you must be lying about what I said, not simply mistaken. How pitiful!

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fiction posted:

Maybe I mentioned Saban because he directly, publicly intervened in this race and is thus a good example to point to? That would be a non-insane interpretation of my post.

This doesn't address most of the criticisms I have made, bucko. Your insistence on your own purity and innocence is a major fault you and many others apparently feel the need to show off as much as possible.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cease to Hope posted:

I just said only Saban intervened directly. Nobody can name specific donors who intervened indirectly for obvious reasons.

Now we're getting into pedantry, where you try to defend the implicit claim that Saban is more egregious than the auto industry by insisting connotations don't exist. Does this sound convincing to you?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry maple grampy was less popular than that uppity ballbuster Hollary Klointon and you've invented a fantasy of betrayal to use as a litmus test.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoy how the Bernie or Bust people are dumb enough to think that open white supremacy and misogyny makes you a bad candidate in American politics. We definitely should let you all have control of anything more important than a model train set.

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Fiction posted:

Is there a typo in this post? Also being an open white supremacist is a bad thing which is why she should never have been considered for nomination.

So do you vary up your Clinton snuff fantasies, or are they fairly consistent?

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cease to Hope posted:

Donald Trump is not running for the DNC chair.

Papering over the inane proxy war won't make it go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ISeeCuckedPeople posted:

The Clintonites in this thread do not realize that no matter how much they defend Perez politics is 90% perception. It doesn't matter if Peres IS no different from Ellison. What matters is that people perceive him to be so.

And thats why Hillary lost the election. Idiots like you don't get perception at allll

Well poo poo, why have policy at all if reality don't matter.

• Locked thread