Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chomskyan posted:

Perez won't agree to ban corporate contributions.

Neither will Ellison.

You know who has, though?

Buttigieg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

and two weeks later, he walked that back by saying that he'd put the question of whether to ban lobbyist donations to the DNC, a move designed to fail

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
average House winning campaign = $1m

average Senate winning campaign = $10m

so just for federal legislative elections, Democrats should be looking to fundraise something like $700m every two years.

they raised $150m in 2014

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Main Paineframe posted:

Yeah, this is the real problem with the whole Ellison vs Perez debate: Buttigieg is to the left of both of them, and has far fewer establishment ties, but by throwing Ellison into the ring the establishment effectively froze out real anti-establishment candidates. Sure, Buttigieg has zero chance, but the nature of this race is such that outsiders never had a chance; thanks to Ellison, though, he doesn't even get press. Setting up Ellison as the "true" leftist outsider candidate and setting it up as a one-on-one outsider vs establishment race means that the only reason anyone even remembers Buttigieg is because he's got a funny name, and I wouldn't be surprised if the establishment was quietly pushing that view themselves to make sure that the two establishment candidates totally dominate the discourse.

I mean, seriously. Chuck Schumer leaped at the chance to endorse Ellison.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cease to Hope posted:

Schumer is a close Sanders ally in the Senate.

Schumer endorsed Clinton in loving 2013, way before she even announced. This was the shadow primary that cleared the Democratic field for her. He's a big reason Bernie was her only real opponent.

and anyways he's terrible

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Insofar as a Sanders wing of the party exists, Chuck Schumer ain't in it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Again, I think Ellison is a much more telegenic person who I think is better suited to be the de facto face of the party for two years until we hit 2020 primary bullshit. He's obviously a more natural communicator.

I do think Perez's involvement with labor and knowing how to work things "behind the curtain" are important skills and I would hope if he does not become the DNC chair that get him to run for some kind of office.

MD Gov: Perez

DNC Chair: Buttigieg

2020 Nominee: Ellison

tbqh

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I like this a lot, but only if Warren doesn't run in 2020.

Gonna have to be ageist here

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Convergence posted:

Maryland's republican governor is actually pretty great and has a >70% approval rating, and is no threat because of the eternally blue legislature. He's one of the very, very few examples of actual functional fiscal conservatives (and not insane corrupt ideologues). He also loathes Trump.

So basically, save Perez for a different state

Perez is from Montgomery County, MD, and Hogan opposes Trump like McCain opposes Trump: in a manner designed to not offer meaningful substantive opposition

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chelb posted:

If Ellison is smart, he knows he probably has a future in the Democratic Party that lies outside of the Democratic National Chair.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ytlaya posted:

There seems to be some sort of general opinion that Buttigieg is to the left of Ellison/Perez. Why is this? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with it, but I can't find anything specific that seems to point towards that conclusion.

Marched with Women's March instead of going to donor meeting with David Brock

Actual pledge to ban lobbyist donations

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/aseitzwald/status/831602599535206401

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
you see NAFTA killed jobs which is why job losses didn't start until GWB's inauguration

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
TPP members: Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, and Vietnam.

We currently have FTA with Australia, Canada, Chile, Mexico, Peru and Singapore.

Our tariff rates on Brunei, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand and Vietnam are on the order of like 3% outside of certain goods (e.g., chicken tax on Japanese light trucks)

Like sure I get the "what's the benefit to American workers to get them to sign on" but the idea that our trade agreements killed jobs doesn't make sense

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah now I want you to go to Indiana and Ohio and tell everyone there that Nafta made their life better.

yes I agree there's been a longstanding misinformation campaign deflecting blame for job losses from capitalists to foreigners

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Helsing posted:

Entrenching really lovely intellectual property laws and establishing establishing those terrible Invest State Dispute Settlement provisions were far greater sins of the TPP than any impact on jobs.

Sure but like defending Malaysian workers isn't really a "protect American workers" program

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Helsing posted:

I'm not really clear on what you're trying to say here but not wanting to cede political power to ISDS tribunals seems like a rational and intelligent position for labour unions.

again, ISDS tribunals are more an issue for other countries than the United States; we've got one through NAFTA and haven't lost once

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/NomikiKonst/status/832053927692627968?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/keithellison/status/832064578930475011

https://twitter.com/aseitzwald/status/832070740040175618

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alter Ego posted:

...yes? $15 is living wage adjusted for inflation.

No it isn't; it's too low

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alter Ego posted:

No, we need to stand for something, and that something should be a minimum wage that makes it so the single mother of 3 that lives in the lovely inner-city apartment only has to work one job instead of two or three. If it only polls at 50%, then that just means we haven't advocated for it hard enough or shown clearly enough how it would benefit everyone. We have dialed it back for far too long--it's time to crank up the volume and rip the loving knob off.

Why you keep insisting that poll-tested bromides are the best way is beyond me. That way of thinking just lost an election.

Living wage for a single parent of three is on the order of $30

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's just mind boggling how there's this huge blow-up over $12 vs. $15 when they're both sub-living wages anyways.

I just don't understand that level of militancy over leaving profit in the hands of capital while continuing to leave workers struggling to survive. I'm

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/aseitzwald/status/832995713596399617

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

pretty hosed up that Ellison's making shady smoke-filled backroom deals to clear the field tbqh

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
jesus the Republicans are so loving ideologically rigid they can't even pass a loving tax cut

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol yes ellison is everything with sprinkles and a cherry on top instead of the first and most visible signal that the base of the party is being listened to.

actually comparing endorsements picking perez is p much telling the party's base to go gently caress themselves

Why are Bernie voters "the base" as opposed to Clinton voters, given that, you know, there were more of them?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raskolnikov38 posted:

well i and the party's base of activists and unions want the person so the DNC should give us the person instead of going "they're both okay." regardless if their policies are the same the base has clearly decided which messenger it prefers

i'm talking about unions and activists groups which have overwhelmingly picked ellison

How are unions "the base" if they can't deliver votes?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Obama ran on ending the partisan divide

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

thechosenone posted:

Wasn't it hope and change?

Keep in mind he was pushed to run because of his '04 DNC "no red America or blue America" speech

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

"I want to make childcare universal and education free" is apparently not good enough for y'all.

Childcare, which costs more than college, and for which loans and grants aren't available

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Medicare itself isn't single payer, so I don't know why people are using Medicare-for-All as the basis for calls for single payer.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Main Paineframe posted:

Because Medicare itself is popular, so saying your healthcare reform is "like Medicare" gets your plan 5 to 10 extra favorability points in the polls.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Because everyone knows someone who couldn't live without Medicare. It's a third rail that even Republicans can't get near. If you call your plan "Medicare for all", you gain the advantage of making your opponents look like they're arguing against Medicare, which is political suicide.

It has nothing to do with scaling the existing Medicare system to infinity. Nobody is seriously proposing that.

sure but like the same "the ACA is terrible" crowd crowing about a plan that has absolutely no out-of-pocket caps at all unless (horror of horrors) you pay money to a insurance company might have something to do with the relative popularity of Medicare vs. Obamacare? Not to mention limited networks. Deductibles are low, but like you get cancer and need a $30k a month treatment, you're on the hook for $6k a month until treatment is over vs. a capped $7k if you've got non-Medicare health insurance.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean the "Medicare is awesome" thing is because it just works without you really having to think about it but that's more about how Democrats made Obamacare more complicated than it should have been in order for it to be popular, as opposed to a discussion about the relative substantive merits.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
like she was up what, double digits in October?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crowsbeak posted:

its not about progresivism or centrists actually. Its about if the policies appeal to the basic self interest of voters. FOr that is why people choose to vote. Hillary had at one point boosted TPP, which frankly wouldn't have been bad for the most part in concerns to manufacturing. However to people in the midwest still remembering the damage done in the 80s and 90s by trade policies it was not something they could back. Meanwhile the orange rear end in a top hat offers to bring their jobs back. Many didn't believe him, but also couldn't vote for someone who had supported more trade policies that were not in her interest. (Didn't help that Kaine was saying she really supported it either). Meanswhile the people in these towns and cities all over the Midwest were being told by orange asshoel he wanted America to be great again. Some thought that would mean better lives. others knew he couldn't or being great wouldn't help them. But then HRC said everything was great and they knew that was a lie. So they either vote fro Trump or stay home. Trump played to their self interest and won.

@BI I hope justice is successful then if he is trying to do things differently.

The damage done in manufacturing was in the 2000s

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Kingfish posted:

By earlier trade policy.

The early 2000s recession, itself caused by an earlier recession in the EU, killed 3m manufacturing jobs, followed by bleeding another 2m during the '08 recession (the two sharp drops). The first recession caused probably by the introduction of the Euro, and the second because of the financial system melting down. Neither due to trade.

Meanwhile, manufacturing itself grew 35%

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crowsbeak posted:

Which was done by earlier trade policy. Also Whisky telling people convinced their job is in china, or in Mexico because evil NAFTA or WTO that you want a even bigger trade agreement doesn't make them want to vote for you. It makes those that had jobs in factories despair and those in the remaining factories mad. So best not to encourage such feelings.

Again, the job losses were due to external recessions, and I think it might be worthwhile examining why people are convinced that their job is in China or Mexico (we don't even have a trade deal with China!)

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paracaidas posted:

2 sets of logic that baffle me, and I'm earnestly looking for someone to explain to me what I'm missing. Based on reading and participating in this thread, I don't believe either of these are strawmen.

First - two of the main strengths I've seen brought up for Ellison is that he's a favorite of a portion of the progressives who are gaining steam, and that he's demonstrated an ability to activate the grassroots in order to defeat a handpicked establishment opponent in a primary. The last few pages also show a desire to primary out establishment centrists. Why would you (so fervently) want such a great resource for that tactic in a role where he is forced to maintain neutrality?

Second - The Hillary wing (or neoliberal, centrist, establishment, etc) has failed in the last election(s) and need to be replaced by messengers who promote an ideology with broader geographical appeal, specifically in the Rust Belt. How does this mesh with Hillary's running markedly ahead of Feingold, despite the latter's populist campaign going against a multimillionaire tea partier? How does that fit with Portman in Ohio, among the least populist senators, easily outpacing Trump? I'm in favor of (race-concious) populist messaging, but I've not seen any indication it'll cure what ails the Democratic Party.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/02/21/opinion/move-left-democrats.html

quote:

Mrs. Clinton came closer to winning Texas than she did Iowa. She fared better in Arizona, Georgia and Florida than she did in the traditional battleground state of Ohio. The electoral action for Democrats may have once been in the Rust Belt, but it’s now moving west and south.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Kingfish posted:

So the jobs that can't be automated go overseas when the economy dips? And the trade deals have nothing to do with this?

We just straight up lost both jobs and production during recessions, then never added jobs back during recoveries as firms increased per worker productivity instead of hiring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

We just straight up lost both jobs and production during recessions, then never added jobs back during recoveries as firms increased per worker productivity instead of hiring

I mean, you might say that, given our trade balance over this time, we replaced domestic growth with foreign imports, but the big changes in our trade balance coincided with flat employment, not job loss

• Locked thread