Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Covok posted:

Keith or Perez! Who wins! You don't decide! We're the democratic party and we know better!

DNC chairman doesn't need to be popularly elected and it'd be pretty loving stupid to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

I would prefer that we make it so when you put in centrist it says cuck and when you put in cuck it says centrist.

That still involves us using that stupid word so uh... :fuckoff:

In exciting news, David Duke endorsed Ellison.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

readingatwork posted:

Nope. Still don't regret my Stein vote and I swear to God if they put up Booker in 2020 I'll vote for her again.

JeffersonClay posted:

Trump thanks you for your useful idiocy.

Jill Stein is a hilarious buffoon. I'm all for primarying from the left but you idiots got Trump elected so at the same time all dumbass leftists can get hosed.
Jill Stein Errantly Blames Dems for Betsy DeVos Confirmation

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kilroy posted:

You've spent the last few months defending the sound logic of eternal centrism whenever called upon to do so, and very often when not called upon to do so or explicitly asked not to do so. A central pillar of that logic is that the Democrats don't need the left to win elections, so I don't see what you're so up in arms about. You centrists don't need our votes and you won't have them - godspeed.

"gently caress everyone that's not me"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

Hey that is the cntrist motto. I mean its why you guys get off to black and white working class barley getting by because they're either on welfare or at walmart and the factory jobs are gone. But you get to pay less for iphones so all's good.

I'm not a centrist and it's very hosed up of you to accuse people of this kind of poo poo because they wanted a competent politician instead of a transparently corrupt businessman as president.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

I just tell it as it is. Also competent people don't have private email servers going against protocals and know that if they need hispanic voters they campaign for their votes, and that states with republican governors you want to go for you should probably be campaigned in. Rather then just attending fundraisers in Hollywood. Also I tell it as it is. As Jefferson Clay was wmore ththen happy to throw black and hispanic males under the bus because Abuela lost. You defended him. So there is also that. Really its just sad you guys try to pretend you have a ounce of empathy in you. All you want are cheap iphones.

This still never happened. Stop lying about people crowsbeak you motherfucking liar.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

The fact both of you celebrate so many American workers living in miserably is almost as bad to the fact you're both very happy to throw Minority males under the bus.

Citation needed you motherfucking liar.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah you know what I am talking about you defending Jefferson after he blamed lowerclass black and hispanic males for Abuelas lost. On the trade front. I don't see you condemning Jefferson Clay's positions in the economic crises thread.

Also I see that Jefferson now is asserting again that all of us Bernie supporters who voted HRC in the election are traitors. So once again you both lie through your teeth. Which is fitting for centrists.

Whatever JC does has nothing to do with me except to the extent that you are making up lies and whatever he does in other threads I don't care about. You are a lying mother fucker you lying mother fucker. I helpfully bolded the parts that are lies.

Brainiac Five posted:

Picking Perez would be a sign of rejecting the conspiracy theorist effort to take over the Democratic Party by stomping their feet and threatening to not vote if they're ever denied anything. That would be a fairly lovely reason to pick someone for an apparatchik bureaucrat position, but so is picking Ellison as some absurd effort to unperson Obama.

It's almost like people in this thread are using this decision as a proxy for all sorts of insane nonsense instead of what is actually is.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kilroy posted:

Voting for the lesser of two evils while the Democrats have gone to utter poo poo since LBJ is what got us Donald Trump.

Actually I think if you look closely you'll find that voting for the greater of two evils is what got us trump. You have this weird insistence that it's the democrats fault that Trump is president even though the Republicans are the ones who ran him and voted for him and in fact many democrats actually voted in the general election for the most likely other person to win and in turn prevent him from winning.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 16, 2017

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Condiv posted:

it is dems fault. they had an easy election and they flubbed it hard with an unlikeable candidate who apparently can't figure out how to campaign.

There isn't a rolleyes big enough for this. People voted for her in the primary. You may not like it but acting as though refusal to appeal to you is the cause of all the nation's woes is incredibly childish.

If you are making this DNC thing a proxy battle for your leftist vote you are an idiot. If you don't care who they pick because they didn't elect Bernie you don't need to post in this thread.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 16, 2017

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Condiv posted:

people voted for her
Great. Your insane hatred has nothing to do with Perez/Ellison you big baby. A person who voted for Hilary in the general has less responsibility for Trump than literally every single other person in the country.

Either can do a great job, that's why they both have so many endorsements. Some leftists are gonna be big babies about the party not leaping left fast enough, and those idiots can get hosed.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 16, 2017

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Blaming Republicans isn't helpful. We can't exercize any pressure on them and they aren't going away. They are going to be there as a malevolent force in our politics for the foreseeable future.

Blaming people in general isn't helpful, but blaming the exact wrong people seems worse to me, for some reason.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I too think its idiotic to point out that our president has been compromised by a foreign government, repeatedly.

That's not what just happened in this conversation.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

RaySmuckles posted:

calling people that are already weary of you names is not an effective method of getting them to vote for you

"hey everyone that didn't do exactly what i wanted last election, you're a literal nazi, i hate you personally, and i blame you for our country's current political problems, you racist piece of poo poo. please vote for my candidate, tia"

Suggesting that certain actions are ethical or unethical isn't name calling.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kilroy posted:

You're right, we should tolerate people trying to whitewash or rewrite history provided that the facts in question are only tangentially related, as opposed to directly related, to the topic at hand.

Are you saying we shouldn't have dedicated thread topics? Because that's where this logic leads.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
They should implement ranked choice voting.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

JeffersonClay posted:

Except the ones that couldn't sully themselves by voting for them.
im pretty sure you established in one of these threads that there aren't enough of those to be worth the effort of outreach

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

In a sane world this would be a strike against Ellison

A thousand times :same: jesus christ people are the worst.

Is anyone here really strongly against Ellison? Or strongly in favor of Perez over Ellison? I've been assuming that we have the obvious "ellison only :mad:" types and then everyone else, but the primary chat is obscuring some of the lines of "reasoning".

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Condiv posted:

perez wants to coddle banks some more, other people don't want that

[citation needed]

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

And as I've been saying: optics matter.

"If Perez isn't a deeply in the pockets of the big banks why do I keep insisting that he is?"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

mcmagic posted:

Who cares about the 3 million votes?

The President does.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Except that's not true? Perez, until like a month ago when y'all decided he was Hitler, was widely liked by Progressives. Hell he was the person progressives were hoping Hillary would pick as her VP.

Then why do I keep insisting otherwise huh smartguy?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Calibanibal posted:

if he wins it means republican ascendancy for at least another 20 years

Based on?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
False tridichotomy

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
"vote for clinton"- Bernie Sanders

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I don't like the idea on campaigning on a very specific thing, knowing it's not deliverable.

Medicare is not single payer. It's, full stop, not single-payer. It's a complex morass of private, public multi and no-payer insurance.

That's cool but now that everyone understands your argument and disagrees with it in a fundamental way you can stop bringing it up because it's not relevant to the fact that medicare for all is a great soundbite.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

JeffersonClay posted:

It means that when our opponents hack us and release documents intended to inflame tensions in our coalition and depress turnout (ratfucking), we should call it out as ratfucking and refuse to let the hacked material diminish our chances in the election, rather than using the ratfucking to fuel counterproductive infighting about the primary process.

If our politicians are not perfectly behaved at all times they deserve to lose!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Alter Ego posted:

I think that while some folks in this thread aren't applying it, there is a strong case to be made that with a good campaign Bernie Sanders could very well be President right now.

This counterfactual is both useless, old as dirt, and highly irrellevant to who is DNC chairperson.

Who is DNC chairperson is barely worth discussing except to the extent that bernouts want to flip out about perez.

Cerebral Bore posted:

No, it's because he was doing better by every available metric back during the primaries.

Clearly not votes.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Fiction posted:

I'll be fine with him if he loses. If he wins, you're drat sure my local DNC is getting an earful and there'll probably be more vicious primaries.

Also fulcrum it's incredibly obvious to anyone with half a brain that Perez was put forward by the Obama wing because they fear Sanders having any power whatsoever. Sorry you have to cast material reality as a conspiracy to have your arguments make any sense.

:ironicat:

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

This is going to end with Democrats shooting themselves in the foot instead of uniting with those Filthy Sanders Lefties isn't it?

No, because it's the Sander's lefties losing their poo poo over this nothing of an election, not the Dems.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I don't think children throwing temper tantrums should be bought the toys they are demanding, but that's just me.

"He's only throwing things around because he's enthusiastic. Don't you want your child to be excited to go to the store"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Ugh all these engaged and vocal people asking for a small if symbolic concession smh

Asking?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Wait what the hell. Do you think people protesting trump are also children throwing temper tantrums?

DNC chairperson election, just like national election.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Wait, so if we just put 15 dollar minimum wage in the platform, even though we keep losing elections because no one likes the old guard, eventually it'll just happen? Wow!

"Wait, so if I don't vote for the major party candidate who supports what I want I don't get what I want?"

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

JeffersonClay posted:

We tried running a campaign all about pluralism 4 months ago and it didn't go very well.

"Tried" is a really strong word for Hildawg's populism.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

You realize how big open this is, right?

"None of them support what I want, so I'm voting for the orange guy to at least give them all hell"

Yeah. People flipping out about Perez are a lot like dumb accelerationists.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Confounding Factor posted:

Perez will be DNC chair and then Booker 2020.

I'll take it in trade for Ellison 2028. :getin:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

readingatwork posted:

It's about perception. I agree they aren't that different on substance.

Some undefined and unquantified People believe it to be true, therefore the DNC (whoever votes) should bow to the whims of some people on the internet and change their votes to Elison. Too bad no one told them.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Majorian posted:

You can probably quantify it as fairly close to the amount of people in Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin who voted for Obama, but didn't turn out for Clinton. And their feelings on the matter should probably count for something.

I super doubt the average voter is nearly as emotionally invested in the outcome as this thread is.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Majorian posted:

I don't think it's a given that they fully knew her record as a political figure.

Why not? If for no other reason than that white 'leftists' have been going on about "superpredators" since the primary. What is it about black people that makes you suspect them of being politically ignorant as a group?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Majorian posted:

Let me stop you there and direct you to a couple posts ago, when I said that most voters are low-information, regardless of race, gender, etc.

Yet minority voters broke HARD for Hillary clinton, and you think that's because...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Majorian posted:

the narrative that the Clintons were better on race than they actually were.

Please elaborate

• Locked thread