Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mirepoix
Mar 22, 2009
So my truck hit a 40 pounder like 5 years ago and I've had migraines a couple times a month ever since then and just kinda sucked it up (because I'm retarded), but I don't like my BAS, do you guys think I can just go to the base hospital at night and ask for a migraine med prescription? I have buddies who are on imitrex for similar blast-related migraines and I would like to try it. Yes I am dumb for many reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

mirepoix posted:

So my truck hit a 40 pounder like 5 years ago and I've had migraines a couple times a month ever since then and just kinda sucked it up (because I'm retarded), but I don't like my BAS, do you guys think I can just go to the base hospital at night and ask for a migraine med prescription? I have buddies who are on imitrex for similar blast-related migraines and I would like to try it. Yes I am dumb for many reasons.

You can try, but they're more than likely just going to give you something to take the edge off until you can get to bas. If it's really that much of a problem to go there then request for outside treatment.

Also document everything and get copies etc. No one gives as much poo poo about you as you do. Act accordingly.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

mirepoix posted:

Dude what get that poo poo documented like yesterday. Now.

I get your BAS sucks, a very common theme. That said you want to start making a paper trail and making them aware. The only way you could be seen is via the ER. I'm not sure if they'd start you on imitrex, since they wouldn't be able to monitor it. They could give you a shot of it. As said above they'd probably just give you a very small supply of something to deal with the migraine and tell you to see your Doctor.

It sucks but you pretty much have to utilize the BAS for non-mental health medical issues. ER is the only other option. Get your chain of command involved if needed, don't let them bully you.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I'll be honest, 29 Palms had an awesome mental health section and I was able to talk to them without having to go through anyone else. Maybe it's not that way everywhere, but my point is you have options, you gotta do the legwork yourself though. Trust me, it's worth it.

mirepoix
Mar 22, 2009
But I'll break my nine year streak of not going to sick call!! Fine I guess I'll like take care of my medical problems instead of ignoring them like an idiot.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

mirepoix posted:

But I'll break my nine year streak of not going to sick call!! Fine I guess I'll like take care of my medical problems instead of ignoring them like an idiot.

I get it you're a tough guy and SSGT said only bitches go to medical. No offense, but people often do what you do and then EAS. They have literally no paper trail for any ailment. Oh their back is going out two years later? You had migraines the whole time you were in how come you're only now bringing it up? Etc etc

These people are the ones that develop a vehement hate for the VA. The ones posting bi-monthly to fb "gently caress THE VA DENIED MY CLAIM AGAIN"

PathAsc posted:

I'll be honest, 29 Palms had an awesome mental health section and I was able to talk to them without having to go through anyone else. Maybe it's not that way everywhere, but my point is you have options, you gotta do the legwork yourself though. Trust me, it's worth it.

Yeah mental health is usually the only exception to this sort of thing outside of an ER visit

They also started a fairly new program (maybe five years old? Just guessing) I think it's an MFLC? Marine family life counselor? Something like that. Each unit should have one. Anyways the whole point is to negate any of the above because it heavily deters people and have someone available that doesn't write poo poo down or you have to jump through hoops to see. Also deal with family issues etc

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 22, 2017

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

To continue, all of what I did set me up for a great experience with separation and continuing support from the VA

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

It's kinda sad how little they tell lowly enlisted about that poo poo. I had no idea that disability was even a thing until I was already in for like three years. Thanks to this forum I started documenting my poo poo early and ESPECIALLY in detail on my final/separation physical.

My claim from start to money in my checking account was like three-four months? Maybe less? I've had an overall pleasurable experience with the VA and all of that

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I get it you're a tough guy and SSGT said only bitches go to medical.

SNCOs are idiots, it's why they stayed in long enough to make staff.

America has this culture of medical brinkmanship because getting basic healthcare can easily bankrupt you, but that should never be an issue for anybody with tricare or VA benefits. If there's something wrong with you, get help from a professional. Anybody that hassles you for that isn't worth paying attention to.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

It's kinda sad how little they tell lowly enlisted about that poo poo. I had no idea that disability was even a thing until I was already in for like three years. Thanks to this forum I started documenting my poo poo early and ESPECIALLY in detail on my final/separation physical.

My claim from start to money in my checking account was like three-four months? Maybe less? I've had an overall pleasurable experience with the VA and all of that

Internet Wizard posted:

SNCOs are idiots, it's why they stayed in long enough to make staff.

America has this culture of medical brinkmanship because getting basic healthcare can easily bankrupt you, but that should never be an issue for anybody with tricare or VA benefits. If there's something wrong with you, get help from a professional. Anybody that hassles you for that isn't worth paying attention to.

Both of these infinitely loving a green weenie until the rapture.

mirepoix
Mar 22, 2009
Nah I'm not a tough guy, I just really didn't want to go on meds, I know that's irrational.
Also I am the staff nco. I haven't really been in charge of lower enlisted since I was a corporal though, I am one of those eod dudes.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

mirepoix posted:

Nah I'm not a tough guy, I just really didn't want to go on meds, I know that's irrational.
Also I am the staff nco. I haven't really been in charge of lower enlisted since I was a corporal though, I am one of those eod dudes.

Meds are good, hth. I was loving miserably in a constant guarded state with super fun lows and exhaustion interspersed. I got balanced out and they helped soothe my nerve damage without surgery. Just giving you the support man, ignore the stigma.

mirepoix
Mar 22, 2009
Yeah it's really just been self-inflicted for a while I guess, I know plenty of guys who are on meds for whatever. I'll try to go this week I think.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Thump! posted:

lol I joined the army after a four year break from the Marine Reserves.

I'm dumb as all hell ama

mods please ban Thump! if he ever posts in the marine thread again

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Anyone have any stupid motto phrases to replace devil dog, like Inchon Invader, Fallujah Freedom Fighter, Montezuma Mad Man?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Chapultepeckers

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

That's a good one I like it. Keep em coming.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

mean dick suckers

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Fellow Belleauwoodsmen

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Junior enlisted warrior

Cockwatch

Fukkboi

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Japan Jailbaiters

pick up the pace
Dec 7, 2009

United Marines

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Yoohoo, Fuckstick, Cock-holster, Lance Criminal, gently caress-stick, Bullet Sponge...

If you have a personal problem child the nicknames are easier to come up with. You know, so that one of them knows that GodDamnit means them kinda thing.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Steezo posted:

Yoohoo, Fuckstick, Cock-holster, Lance Criminal, gently caress-stick, Bullet Sponge...

If you have a personal problem child the nicknames are easier to come up with. You know, so that one of them knows that GodDamnit means them kinda thing.

"Nasty". Hey there Nasty. Whoa there Nasty.

Was "Special One" a thing? Like, "WHOA THERE SPECIAL ONE!"

I feel like there were a lot of variations on "(whatever) One".

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Lost one

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Lost Marine Plan:

Kill yourself.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Victor Vermis posted:

"Nasty". Hey there Nasty. Whoa there Nasty.

Was "Special One" a thing? Like, "WHOA THERE SPECIAL ONE!"

I feel like there were a lot of variations on "(whatever) One".

Nasty, Heinous, Bright One was one I heard a bunch... "Hey there Bright One the gently caress you think you're doing?"

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Here are some freebies if you're still in and want to be a trend-setter.

Shooter
A-Driver / A-Gunner (very "SHIPMATE!"-esque)
Stick (when addressing a group)
Stackman (when singling out one in a group to be shat upon)
Hue City Slicker

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Arrive alive

No, gently caress you, you dui magnet piece of gently caress

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

You guys really went off topic but I guess I was vague, no problem, carry on Suribachi Sea Warriors.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Victor Vermis posted:

Here are some freebies if you're still in and want to be a trend-setter.

Shooter
A-Driver / A-Gunner (very "SHIPMATE!"-esque)
Stick (when addressing a group)
Stackman (when singling out one in a group to be shat upon)
Hue City Slicker

if anyone called me a-driver i'd be very perturbed

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Stare into the suck and it stares back into you

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Names of the 16 that died in the crash have been released

https://news.usni.org/2017/07/14/marine-corps-releases-identities-of-16-servicemen-killed-in-kc-130t-crash

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I did my Okinawa tour with a couple of them way back when. This fuckin sucks.

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

The little chicken girl wants me to ease up!
He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

Why is Sgt Murray's Raider pin orientated incorrectly on his breathing device's port side?! Dig em' up and smoke his rear end.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Miloshe posted:

Why is Sgt Murray's Raider pin orientated incorrectly on his breathing device's port side?! Dig em' up and smoke his rear end.

time and place dude

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

The little chicken girl wants me to ease up!
He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

Dude, I deployed with 2nd MSOB multiple times. gently caress you. This is GiP, I thought?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I dunno like I get it but otoh it's in poor taste for sure. I guess we're all in poor taste and I'm not real removed from the reality of this whole thing but at least a thin veneer of class would be cool

I've also decided to drink high-gravity beers in lieu of lunch and dinner today so, fuckin, whatever I guess.

Also if you ever have the chance to hang out with bros you haven't seen in a while boy howdy you should definitely take it particularly in our line of work.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I laughed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

I laughed.

He's gonna eat a sixer for making my trip to hell that much more certain.

• Locked thread