Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Buy 1 get 1 bottle of Lysol FREE!
(This is my first OP, so please be gentle)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3QJTulgTQ4

Rogalia is a sandbox MMO (easy on the MMO, the current server capacity is 300 and usually rests around 50 people online). It costs $11.99 on steam currently with no subscription model. The English version of the game launched December 11th.
It is developed by a russian dude who goes by the name Tatrix, and his wife, don’t know her handle.
Cost 12$ on steam.
The game is (so I’ve been told) a clone of HnH or Hearth n Haven.

Pros:
Very freeform. Do what you want. My playthrough has basically consisted of me joining, doing the intro tutorial, buying a plot of land, and making the journey through understanding the games systems.
You are self sustainable from level 1. Is it easy? No. Is it rewarding when things start to come together and you make process? Very.
Sandbox Craft everything, breed everything (terraforming is not in but is planned)
Full loot PVP is in, is full drop and is fairly balanced, with new players up to lvl 20 not dropping anything at all, and whenever a non criminal is on the surface level, they gain synod protection which makes them gain 80% protection bonus as long as they do not attack back in PVP. Another bonus to not being a crim is that you can teleport to your claim on I think a 20 second cast time for free.
Fairly interesting leveling system.(I’ll cover this below) But basically, leveling is more complex than, go chop 1 billion trees and be lvl 100.
Weed Whore(cause everyone shares the one) and Beer
These things are in the game. I haven’t hosed the town whore yet, but I do know that you can get venereal disease from her. Weed is an important tool to level up, and all the cool kids smoke it. I’m unsure about beer and wine, but I can make it soon and find out.

Cons:
Small Dev team They are currently working fairly quickly on implementing fixes/improvements, but it’s definitely not as fast as another team. I ‘think’ the game has been in development for over 2 years but I don’t speak Russian and all the old stuff is in Russian so I don’t know.
No Guild system although according to tatrix, basic guild functionality is very easy to do, and he is implementing that soon.
Directions, what directions There is VERY little information in English about this game. Most of what I have learned is through painful trial and error, and talking to people in chat, but what the gently caress do they know anyways so some of this stuff is going to be wrong that I’m going to put in here.
Lag The server for the game is in Europe somewhere, and I get a lovely ping.

The Basics
The leveling system, or how I learned to love eating worms.
In Rogalia, I’m pretty sure your actual character level doesn’t effect anything…or at least I haven’t figured out what it does affect.
What does matter is Macronutrients/vitamins and Attributes and skills. This is going to get a little weird.
The attributes and their paired macronutrients/vitamins and skills are:

1. Strength - Protein - Carpentry/Metalworking/Leatherworking
2. Vitality - Fat -Stoneworking/Mining/Lumberjacking
3. Dexterity - Carbohydrate -Pottery/Tailoring/Swordsmanship

1. Intellect - Phosphorus - Mechanics/Alchemy
2. Perception - Calcium -Survival/ Farming/Fishing
3. Wisdom - Magnesium -Herbalism/Cooking/Leadership

In order to gain strength, you need to eat foods with Protein, in order to gain Vitality, you need to eat foods with Fat and so on. (Note: if you die you lose all your macros/vitamins you haven’t expended in leveling.)
Each stat is tied to several skills. Your skill can never be higher than your stat that is associated with that skill.
If you look above you’ll notice that the attributes are numbered. That is because the attributes with matching numbers oppose each other. So if you have High strength, you will use up more macros/vits to level up Wisdom. This is coupled with the fact that macro/vit requirements to gain attributes scale at higher attributes. In order to do everything, I mainly use two characters, one for the first three attributes, and one for the last 3, although you can have 5 characters and the combinations can be varied.

ok, so why don’t I just eat all the food and level up?

Because of fullness that’s why. Each food has different macro/vit benefits, and also gives you fullness. If you go over 100 fullness, you will not gain macros/vits from whatever you eat, and will move extremely slowly until you poo poo in a toilet, or the fullness wears off.
Ways around this: Sleep in a bed on your claim while offline. This will drain your fullness down to near zero allowing you to wake up have a snack, and go back to bed.
Eat sitting at a table, like a civilized human. This gives a 10% fullness decrease to anything you eat.
Smoke a joint. I ‘think’ this gives a 15% temporary fullness decrease, I know it gives a decrease not sure how much.
Drink Water. You need water normally, but hydrating will lower your fullness to a small amount.
Do drugs. Through alchemy, you can create macro/vit drugs to raise your levels without eating. Be aware, using drugs may give you aids.

If you attack a player, kill a player, loot a player, gut a players corpse, you will lose karma. If you go below zero karma, your name will turn red, you will lose Synod protection (the ability to teleport from anywhere on the surface to your claim land without using resources.)
To gain karma, kill mobs, bury corpses using grave stones, or purchase indulgences from the church.

Claims
Your claim is your own slice of land ownership. It can be as big or as small as you can afford. Initially it will cost you 8g, so you can spawn in, do the tutorial for 7g, then gather a small amount of grass to make into ropes and sell to the npc vendor in the northwest corner of town.

Once you place your marker in the wild, you will have a claim, craft a respawn stone from rocks and place it there. This will allow you to teleport between your claim and town. Your rent will be 8g a week unless you enlarge your claim. Claims cost 4silver a square per week. What I have found is that if you pay your claim out a long ways, and then enlarge your claim, it does not do the math to make you pay 4s a square per week to the end of your term, so pay for a long period, then pay to enlarge, and it will be much cheaper. *this will be fixed eventually so take advantage of it now.*

The second thing you should do is wall off your claim. People can’t attack you, or go through your chests, or harvest your crops, but they can remove your leather from your tanning vat, get on your horse and ride it away, or push your plow out of your plot and then lift and take it.

If you are interested in playing or already do play, let me know and I’ll help you get started! I know this is a crap post and I will work on it more and add screenshots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Been playing this a bit, it's pretty fun.

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan
loving poo poo am I going to spend $12 on another trash sandbox that I'll play for two weeks and never touch again?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
what is with russians and their desire for 2d isometric sandbox MMOs?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I think if the dude's goal is to fill that 300 player cap he's on the right track, looks halfway between Dragonspires and UO in terms of style and tech. I can't tell if it's the animation or the actual runspeed, but I feel I would be yelling at my monitor to speed up within seconds of trying to walk.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

I slipped into a dude's base while he was upgrading his fence and drove out with his motorcycle that apparently costs 7.50 USD to obtain. How do I keep myself safe from reprisal

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Looks like complete poo poo, OP. Like someone's first time ever making a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Scent of Worf posted:

Looks like complete poo poo, OP. Like someone's first time ever making a game.

these dudes got through the crimson haze though

• Locked thread