Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Quorum posted:

Yeah, this is gonna backfire hard. Call and tell them just this, if you can.

This. I'm basically gonna call my friend on the transition team to Gibbs slap him in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

This. I'm basically gonna call my friend on the transition team to Gibbs slap him in person.

Just saw your post in the Trump thread. Nice work.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Your Boy Fancy posted:

the apparent followup:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/942418247110086656

Hope this guy is very wrong because, :staredog:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

he's not, but fortunately the centrist opposition to ever actually doing anything can be countered by fear.

you'd prefer someone whose knuckles you don't need to hit with a stick every fifteen seconds to prevent from offering the republicans a massive win in exchange for Political Capital (tm) but as long as you're quick on the trigger it's a manageable problem

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Ze Pollack posted:

he's not, but fortunately the centrist opposition to ever actually doing anything can be countered by fear.

you'd prefer someone whose knuckles you don't need to hit with a stick every fifteen seconds to prevent from offering the republicans a massive win in exchange for Political Capital (tm) but as long as you're quick on the trigger it's a manageable problem

As long as you're willing to point out that Both Sides Are The Same™, context will never matter.

He's not even governor yet, for crying out loud. Someone make the 80's meme thing only with "Rhetoric Means More To Internet Leftists Than Action."

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Your Boy Fancy posted:

As long as you're willing to point out that Both Sides Are The Same™, context will never matter.

He's not even governor yet, for crying out loud. Someone make the 80's meme thing only with "Rhetoric Means More To Internet Leftists Than Action."

oh, they're not the same, rest assured. he is much better than Gillespie! his instinct is only to offer republicans a couple of uncontested wins as opposed to all of them, and can have his knuckles rapped effectively when he does so.

as the tweet warns you, though- keep that knuckle-rapping stick close to hand, this ain't gonna be the last time you'll need it.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Ze Pollack posted:

oh, they're not the same, rest assured. he is much better than Gillespie! his instinct is only to offer republicans a couple of uncontested wins as opposed to all of them, and can have his knuckles rapped effectively when he does so.

as the tweet warns you, though- keep that knuckle-rapping stick close to hand, this ain't gonna be the last time you'll need it.

Virginia politics: where engagement is a daily thing. Who needs BREAKS from politics, anyway

oh hey there's a new NJPW show up, guess I know how this afternoon is going.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Yeah, I'll take "inclined to do dumb things when not yelled at" over "driven by the very infernal engine of Satan himself to undermine the foundations of a civilized society." Tbh if we as Democrats had been this engaged and involved during Obama's presidency both some of the need and his desire to compromise for the sake of compromise could've been prevented. Let's hope that lesson sticks-- politics aren't just elections, elections are just where you start!

And in four years I get to daydream about Governor Fairfax :syoon:

Quorum fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 17, 2017

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Seems to me that Northram gave a long winded, rambling talk about healthcare reform and the reporter didn't know wtf to write.

I picked out the phrases:
expand access to health care
defining eligibility to control costs
obligating the state to escalating costs
provide better service
managed-care Medicaid
incentivize people to really have good health
back on the workforce [through] training

Which is fine in a brainstorming session, but won't all end up in the same plan. Some are mutually exclusive. But these are the kinds of ideas I would expect to see thrown around in the beginning if Northram wants to do a Medicaid overhaul along with the expansion.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Incentivizing good health is a cool idea but the punishment for not doing what you can to be healthy shouldn't be telling you to go die by refusing your health care

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

cheetah7071 posted:

Incentivizing good health is a cool idea but the punishment for not doing what you can to be healthy shouldn't be telling you to go die by refusing your health care

I don’t think what you’re suggesting was said in that article.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Are there any likely GOP votes in the Virginia Senate for Medicaid Expansion as of now? Kinda curious to see if "eligibility requirements" is a concession Northam's trying to sell them on to get the expansion through.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Grammarchist posted:

Are there any likely GOP votes in the Virginia Senate for Medicaid Expansion as of now? Kinda curious to see if "eligibility requirements" is a concession Northam's trying to sell them on to get the expansion through.

if he's actually promising to privatize it then he can probably nab a couple folks who have stakes in managed care companies or related services

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The Muppets On PCP posted:

if he's actually promising to privatize it then he can probably nab a couple folks who have stakes in managed care companies or related services
Yeah, even without knowing any of the 50 state senators in question I guarantee at least one would gain enough from that, and even in the worst case he needs to flip, what, two? If the recount and the unfinished one and the re-election all go poorly?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Interesting tidbit I got in my daily email on VA news: Northam is being "bipartisan" by appointing GOP Delegates and Senators to useless posts which will force special elections and give the chambers to the Dems.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Can the Republicans not just refuse those posts? Or are they technically "promotions" so each individual person would benefit from taking the post?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

axeil posted:

Interesting tidbit I got in my daily email on VA news: Northam is being "bipartisan" by appointing GOP Delegates and Senators to useless posts which will force special elections and give the chambers to the Dems.

Wait, wait, wait...weren't there people here and in USPol criticizing him for NOT doing this earlier?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Alter Ego posted:

Wait, wait, wait...weren't there people here and in USPol criticizing him for NOT doing this earlier?

yes, glad to see he reversed course on that too

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
It’s almost as if you should judge him by his actions and not his rhetoric, and also never listen to Kilroy

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

cheetah7071 posted:

Can the Republicans not just refuse those posts? Or are they technically "promotions" so each individual person would benefit from taking the post?

It's the latter; also the general idea is to select delegates/senators who a) are in precarious positions (which, lol, is like half of the senators at the moment, they weren't up this year but they all saw what happened to their colleagues in the house), and/or b) would prefer a nice safe four-year or more executive appointment to serve as a lifeboat through the age of trumpy rage (which overlaps quite well with a).

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Alter Ego posted:

Yeah, I was mad he wasn't (but also too lazy to post about it but I saw other people doing it)

You doing okay, Northam. Keep it up.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Quorum posted:

It's the latter; also the general idea is to select delegates/senators who a) are in precarious positions (which, lol, is like half of the senators at the moment, they weren't up this year but they all saw what happened to their colleagues in the house), and/or b) would prefer a nice safe four-year or more executive appointment to serve as a lifeboat through the age of trumpy rage (which overlaps quite well with a).

Yep. To maintain the charade though he has to act like bipartisanship is something he's really interested in and this isn't just a back door way of getting Dem majorities.

VPAP is the group that puts together this morning email digest, I recommend subscribing to anyone who's interested in VA politics

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Your Boy Fancy posted:

It’s almost as if you should judge him by his actions and not his rhetoric, and also never listen to Kilroy
Are you actually flatly refusing to acknowledge rhetoric is action? Like (edit: a person with immense political power) claiming that you think sanctuary cities are terrible has immediate effect on people's lives, regardless of whether you proceed to lock those people up for two days without adequate access to food, water, or bathrooms.

twodot fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Dec 19, 2017

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

twodot posted:

Are you actually flatly refusing to acknowledge rhetoric is action? Like (edit: a person with immense political power) claiming that you think sanctuary cities are terrible has immediate effect on people's lives, regardless of whether you proceed to lock those people up for two days without adequate access to food, water, or bathrooms.

Rhetoric is not action. Northam is not in power yet. And even when he is most people don’t listen to him because governors aren’t people who wield immense political power. B level celebrities have more followers than governors do.

Cool example of nothing though.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

hanales posted:

Rhetoric is not action. Northam is not in power yet. And even when he is most people don’t listen to him because governors aren’t people who wield immense political power. B level celebrities have more followers than governors do.

There's a convenient catch-22 here isn't there because if he does gently caress over immigrants you'll say "well what did you expect, he's just doing what he said he would, idiot, didn't you pay attention to the election :smug:"

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Dec 19, 2017

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Your Boy Fancy posted:

...or Ralph Northam, apparently.

Also here's that Wapo article you said would never happen:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...m=.e55e256483bf

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

hanales posted:

lol literally "things governors say don't matter because they don't have enough twitter followers"

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

https://twitter.com/@reemadamin

follow along for news on the big 10 vote district recount

https://twitter.com/reemadamin/status/943152895981244417

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

down to a five vote lead :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/reemadamin/status/943171755593650176

(I think that's 10 of 24 precincts, meaning that the dem is on track to win by about two votes).

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Landslide Symonds

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Landslide Symonds

otherwise known as why_your_fucking_vote_matters.txt

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

twodot posted:

lol literally "things governors say don't matter because they don't have enough twitter followers"

Pretty much. No one pays attention to interviews with these guys beyond niche areas like these discussions.

I bet you the vast majority of Virginians don’t even know his name.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/reemadamin/status/943186460005617664

Lead is back up to eight, I think. Still more than half to go.

edit: it's 7, apparently. Misunderstood the previous count.

https://twitter.com/reemadamin/status/943193310490963968

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 19, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/reemadamin/status/943199157753348099

Not looking good. Most of the precincts that had changes were 1 or 2 max, and some were zero.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Four precincts left, four vote lead:

https://twitter.com/reemadamin/status/943202198250557440

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/notlarrysabato/status/943207057435648000

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
How does Virginia resolve ties

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

https://twitter.com/reemadamin/status/943210529891512327

LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

How does Virginia resolve ties

I think every state has some variation on picking randomly - flipping a coin, drawing cards, what have you

tried to find what

nevermind

:siren:

https://twitter.com/reemadamin/status/943210529891512327

• Locked thread