Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

Why do black people love the 300M so much

You've never heard of the 300M referred to as the "Black Man's Bentley?"

An Arnage, the Bentley that it looks most like and that people try to model their 300s on with aftermarket poo poo.

Dodge makes poo poo cars that fall apart, and their interiors are the loving pits. I remember driving some Challengers around a few years ago (I rent cars frequently when I travel) and it had the exact same radio display as my 1987 Mustang (that lovely, green, alarm clock readout). The one car they made that actually ran like a champ, and that you could actually get some performance out of if you tweaked them right, was the mid-late '90s Neons. I still see guys use those in bomber racing, and they can haul rear end.

This, of course, does not represent classic Mopar, which produced phenomenal muscle cars and legendary power plants like the 426 Wedge.

Count Freebasie fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Rex-Goliath posted:

ya if you want low maintenance buy japanese
if you don't mind maintenance buy german
if you're a cheapass who doesn't care about anything buy korean

lol @ buying american cars
i've been driving a volkswagen into the ground for about a decade and am buying japanese after this. but i think i now know what it's like to be one of those military enthusiasts who love german tanks from world war II. they grow on you while being over-engineered maintenance nightmares. also you lose the war ultimately.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
oh and the factory which built them goes kablooey and the executives are put on trial for war crimes.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

It sounds like everyone's experiences are anecdotal and subjective :shrug:

I'm driving a jeep cherokee from 20 years ago and the thing is a battle tank. Sure some small things are breaking down but the engine fires up every time. Even when I had a cracked radiator it ran. Even when I forgot to put oil it ran. Even when I drove through flooded streets it ran. Even when one cylinder misfired, the other seven picked up the slack.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

935 posted:

I'm driving a jeep cherokee from 20 years ago and the thing is a battle tank. Sure some small things are breaking down but the engine fires up every time. Even when I had a cracked radiator it ran. Even when I forgot to put oil it ran. Even when I drove through flooded streets it ran. Even when one cylinder misfired, the other seven picked up the slack.
i'm going to get a japanese compact car because i'm practical like that, but no joke i am mightly tempted to get behind the wheel of something that can eat a hellfire missile and keep rolling.

*licks lips*

now back on the subject of cars, what's the goon opinion about ........ mazda

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Wikkheiser posted:

i'm going to get a japanese compact car because i'm practical like that, but no joke i am mightly tempted to get behind the wheel of something that can eat a hellfire missile and keep rolling.

*licks lips*

now back on the subject cars, what's the goon opinion about ........ mazda

dont drive them if youre in a rust belt or else lol

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

FedEx Mercury posted:

All cars are made by GM now, don't be fooled by marketing.
i want a GM volkswagen

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I drive a 2017 Corvette so I'm kind of a douchebag

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Hot Karl Marx posted:

dont drive them if youre in a rust belt or else lol
i'm not so ... zoom zoom i guess

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Gaunab posted:

I drive a 2017 Corvette so I'm kind of a douchebag

Actually, I own the official douchebag mobile (although an IROC owner has a good claim on that, as well).

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

935 posted:

the cherokee is literally an amc design that chrysler inherited and sold until they made the grand cherokee

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Wikkheiser posted:

*licks lips*

now back on the subject of cars, what's the goon opinion about ........ mazda

they arent honda but at least they aren't nissan

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
I drive a new Mazda 6 and enjoy it very much.
Get one of the newer design ones though, otherwise your just driving a Ford.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

shoophobo posted:

I drive a new Mazda 6 and enjoy it very much.
Get one of the newer design ones though, otherwise your just driving a Ford.
yeah i like them new mazda 3 hatchbacks

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Count Freebasie posted:

Actually, I own the official douchebag mobile (although an IROC owner has a good claim on that, as well).

HEY LADIES DROP YOUR PANTIES

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
a lot of gm cars are built like tanks such as the grand prix, grand am, cavallier, and you see ancient ones on the road still truckin but they are doing just that and little else

like yeah it'll run and by golly it will run even if you abuse the poo poo out of it but the 1993 corolla/prizm i drove for years didn't have peeling enamel or sagging upholstry and all of the knobs and switches inside of it worked. the heater core never gave out. the air conditioner worked. the windows didn't get stuck in the down position. i cant say the same for any 00's grand prix even if they run while leaking every fluid they contain

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i want an affordable car that "hauls rear end" and i dont care if its the trashiest thing ever should i just go down the camaro/mustang route?

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

Fallen Rib

nigga crab pollock posted:

a lot of gm cars are built like tanks such as the grand prix, grand am, cavallier, and you see ancient ones on the road still truckin but they are doing just that and little else

like yeah it'll run and by golly it will run even if you abuse the poo poo out of it but the 1993 corolla/prizm i drove for years didn't have peeling enamel or sagging upholstry and all of the knobs and switches inside of it worked. the heater core never gave out. the air conditioner worked. the windows didn't get stuck in the down position. i cant say the same for any 00's grand prix even if they run while leaking every fluid they contain

My roommate has a 2005 grand am it's a POS, the paint is ruined, the interior paneling all warped and melted, makes all kinds of noises...
But the fucker runs and runs well. He plans on driving it in to the ground even though he could afford anything he wanted.

I used to drive a 2001 impala that used to be my mom's. loving cooling system used as many plastic parts as possible. Blew up several times, needed all kinds of work but I kept fixing it. Big and comfy it was. Once I be came a well paid computer janitor I got the slightly used Mazda and gave the impala to my brother, who promptly begged my parents like the spoiled brat he is for a brand new Mazda suv, which he hates.

They sold my car man.. :( I hope whoever has it now is taking care of her.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

numberoneposter posted:

i want an affordable car that "hauls rear end" and i dont care if its the trashiest thing ever should i just go down the camaro/mustang route?

the true trashy 'haul rear end' car is the firebird

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

numberoneposter posted:

buy an old turbo saab its eurotrash as gently caress and it hauls some serious rear end just dont be surprised if it decides to not start randomly

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

Fallen Rib
loving love old saabs

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
i was driving my parents chrysler minivan to move some furniture and every time you try to switch the stereo away from the setting its on it shorts itself and turns off. otherwise it works fine even at max volume

how

why

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

shoophobo posted:

They sold my car man.. :( I hope whoever has it now is taking care of her.
it's ok your 2001 impala is in car heaven, like doggy heaven, but with cars ... and roads paved on the clouds ... and the seats are always warm and there's free maintenance from angels :angel:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

buy an old turbo saab its eurotrash as gently caress and it hauls some serious rear end just dont be surprised if it decides to not start randomly
there is a saab in town that presumably used to be red but is now kind of a matte orange that has a sticker that says "old saabs never die they just get faster"

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
A company so synonymous with failure that it became the only car that Al Bundy was ever shown owning.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 6, 2017

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

$2,650 · 1986 foxbody LX V8 5 spd

quote:

Time to let this go. Don't let the appearance fool you this is one strong muscle car with a long list of improvements. Rust free ,turn key but too many projects on the go. I've been holding off on selling this and will probably change my mind again so grab it while you can. Comes with a bonus to the right buyer.
5.0 L 302 HO fuel injected
BW T5 5spd trans from 1992 GT
GT dash
Newer HD clutch
New cap & rotor & wires
Recall seats
17 in rims & tires

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

numberoneposter posted:

there is a saab in town that presumably used to be red but is now kind of a matte orange that has a sticker that says "old saabs never die they just get faster"

there is always that one dude in a shitbox 80's 900 that is somehow three times the horsepower it originally was much like there is also that one dude with an e30 slammed so low he'll bottom out over a pop tart

i had an '02 9-3 because my dad's a dickhead. nice car but so many weird things went wrong

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i test drove an e30 325 a while ago but it didnt seem appreciably faster than my shitrocco i owned at the time and i passed on it

if i find the right e30 tho...ultimate turkish gangster car

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You gotta put the key in the ceiling to start it. :v:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

saab quest in my area is looking pretty grim

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i was driving my parents chrysler minivan to move some furniture and every time you try to switch the stereo away from the setting its on it shorts itself and turns off. otherwise it works fine even at max volume

how

why

could be worse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TnGjq9mWSI&t=200s

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I almost bought that sporty turbo 9-5 once but ended up with a nice acura instead.

That is my saab story.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

numberoneposter posted:

i test drove an e30 325 a while ago but it didnt seem appreciably faster than my shitrocco i owned at the time and i passed on it

if i find the right e30 tho...ultimate turkish gangster car

Everyone loves the e30, but only the ones you see in tearing down a european dirt road screaming at 9k rpm.

Count Freebasie posted:

I want to hate it but I also love how ugly foxbodies are. Plus they are everywhere so if you need to salvage poo poo its always around.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
I think most Turkish gangsters have moved on to E39's and E46's.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Buy GM if you're going to buy domestic. They make rock solid V8s at least

Bullshit my Cadillac's Northstar V8 was leaking oil like a sieve and had to have all the gaskets replaced.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I'm not the sort of person that demands the finest quality ~materials~ in my car's interior but Dodge interiors make me want to vomit. Growing up I had cheap injection molded plastic toys that felt better.

I have a used Lexus now because I like cars that don't break down.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
i enjoyed my dads dodge avenger

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

a lot of gm cars are built like tanks such as the...cavallier

:laffo: what

the cavalier is the definition of a disposable shitbox that isn't meant to last and never does

one of the cars i learned to drive on was its sister car, the sunbird, and in addition to everything about the fit and finish of the thing just being so slapdash as to be comical, it blew the engine at 110k miles. the only thing i can say in its favor was that it actually was less awful to drive than the ford tempo i also was learning on; to date that fuckin tempo was the most miserable vehicle i have ever driven from any manufacturer.

actually, thinking back, the third car i learned to drive on was my grandma's chrysler le baron, which was significantly less poo poo than the other two in every way. point to chrysler i guess, except the part where its transmission seized on her at 150k in the middle of an intersection.

as far as gms that last, if it does not have an ls or a 3800, it does not last. every other engine they have made is various levels of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
K cars rule actually despite Dodge\Chrysler's misgivings. Lee Iacocca ruled.

• Locked thread