Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your overall favorite class to watch played
Spellblade
Ritualist
Druid
Witch
View Results

• Locked thread
SwordOfKaz
May 4, 2016
Seems like a lot of people seem to want us to try out the different classes/unlocked starting location.

I'm honestly pretty excited to see how this next run is going to go, since we seemed to do pretty well this time. I'm more interested to see what other random events we can find and how we can unlock the other characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
I want me some river adventures, so

Spellblade
Witch
Celestin

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
Two days left in the voting and lets see our current results

Aquasnake
Spellblade: V
Ritualist:
Druid:
Witch: Zanzibar Ham

SwordofKaz
Spellblade: Zanzibar Ham
Ritualist:
Druid:
Witch: V

Starting Village
Celestin: VI
Wolf Clan:
High Tribe:
Dustfolk: Zanzibar Ham

It's neck and neck and it looks like it's still anyone's race folks.
But personally my money is on Potoooooooo for the photo finish.

VVV Noted, you fight that current.

Aquasnake fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 16, 2017

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
To switch things up -

Witch
Spellblade

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

A dual wielding fighter and a lance wielding blood mage walk into a bar.
They later come back out of the bar with much more blood on their clothes than in their bodies.
Most of it is theirs.

The game continues throwing new things at us, this time with an ice theme.
We've unlocked a new Ice flavored class and starting village. Vote now on your phones.

Episode 2: Sword + Blood = Minimum Life Expectancy

Look at that, a brand new episode, and it has lots of cool new features. Such as...
1. Links to the actual episode and not a random youtube video.
2. Is named properly in both title and link.
3. Didn't take literally an entire day to exist.
4. Six (6) large cupholders.
5. A challenging boss fight.

What improvement, what will next week's episode hold? Cooler stuff? Hotter stuff? Icier stuff? Vote now!

Our Character Classes

Spellblade:
Type: Quick
Ritualist:
Type: Ranged
Druid:
Type: Wild
Witch:
Type: Strong
Snowdancer
Type: Frost

Starting Villages

Dustfolk: Desert Tribe that relies on the Seeker of Waters to survive the harsh summers.
Wolf Clan: Secretive Tribe in the heart of the cedar forest, hiding in the shade of the great trees.
High Tribe: A proud people of the mountaintops, boasting of their closeness to the Moon in the night sky.
Celestin: Nomadic Tribe that follows the Holy Ufratu River annually from source to mouth and back again.
One Voice: Nearly forgotten tribe in the snowlands that worships the idea of the Goddess in song and dance.

Please Bold all votes.

You know the drill, vote ends next Tuesday night. And while I can't stop you from voting for the same classes again, maybe not both at the same time please?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Wild Frost Wolves

My vote isn't for specific people to play a specific character, but if I must then I'm guessing Kaz would rather not be a Druid again so soon (even though they're rad) so he can be the Snowdancer.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Wild Frost Wolves

My vote isn't for specific people to play a specific character, but if I must then I'm guessing Kaz would rather not be a Druid again so soon (even though they're rad) so he can be the Snowdancer.

Unless you decide to use it later, I'm stealing your other vote so I can play druid.

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013
Ritualist
Snowdancer
Wolf Clan

I suspect that despite your claims to the contrary, you've seen the promised "river adventures" and the bluish marshland maps were exactly that. I mean, I would consider getting giant rocks thrown at me to be an adventure of sorts.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Ritualist
Witch
Dustfolk

Visit all the hometowns as the characters from them at some point.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Aquasnake posted:

Unless you decide to use it later, I'm stealing your other vote so I can play druid.

By Wild Frost I meant Druid & Snowdancer :v:

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Zanzibar Ham posted:

By Wild Frost I meant Druid & Snowdancer :v:

Now I get it, it was right before I went to bed so I didn't realize you were voting by type. You said you weren't voting for specific people so I thought maybe you were just trying to vote for any of the unplayed villages or something.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was trying to say that I don't care who plays the druid and who plays the snowdancer really, but I got mixed up a bit I guess. I probably should have just made a straightforward vote instead of trying to be fancy. Anywho, no harm done :)

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

"Are you ready to start the First Moon Feast"
--> No
"Too bad, we need to start it."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Snowdancer
Spellblade
Dust Folk

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The LP convinced me to get the game, and I've played ahead (if you can call it that). Thanks for that final push, it's a neat game.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Well, that was a cavalcade of catastrophes. :allears:

Snowdancer
Spellblade
High Tribe

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

ZeeToo posted:

Well, that was a cavalcade of catastrophes. :allears:

Ain't that the truth. Given what happened, the boss went a lot better than I thought it would... right up until it didn't.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
It looks like the game is keeping track of both player's accomplishments, and then assigning their traits randomly to whichever player it likes.

I wonder if it's intentional, to simulate how a story gets muddled after being told for generations.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Despite your disadvantages at the end, you could have still taken the boss out easy if YOU HAD ATTACKED THE HEAD WHEN HE WAS DOWN AAARRGGH

You both need to spend some more quality time with the melee classes. To that end:

Witch
Spellblade
Wolf Clan

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Despite your disadvantages at the end, you could have still taken the boss out easy if YOU HAD ATTACKED THE HEAD WHEN HE WAS DOWN AAARRGGH

You both need to spend some more quality time with the melee classes.

You aren't wrong on either account. However, the only one capable of doing any damage died at that moment, and then panic set it.

Side note: No joke, this week's vote is actually really close and some things might come down to a tie. (Actually time is weird and I thought we were more than halfway through the week to the next episode)

Anyway here are the totals so far.

pre:
Aquasnake:	
Spellblade	
Ritualist	II	
Druid		I
Witch		I
Snow Dancer	II

SwordofKaz:		
Spellblade	III
Ritualist	
Druid		
Witch		I
Snow Dancer	II

Wolf Clan	III
High Tribe	I
Celestin	
One Voice
Am I the only person in the world who still uses Roman Numerals for things?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Witch
Snowdancer
Wolves

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It may be better for the votes to have people pick their top two classes and a town, and then you pick the top two that win the vote and decide among yourselves who wants to pick what. I doubt many of us want a particular person to play a particular class, and it splits votes like is currently for Snowdancer.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Bruceski posted:

It may be better for the votes to have people pick their top two classes and a town, and then you pick the top two that win the vote and decide among yourselves who wants to pick what. I doubt many of us want a particular person to play a particular class, and it splits votes like is currently for Snowdancer.

This is very sensible and we will use it in the following weeks going forward, because sometimes I don't think through all of the alternatives when I come up with and idea and just stick with the first one that comes to me.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Bruceski posted:

Wait... We weren't doing that already? Shows how much attention I've been paying :)

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
Snowdancer
Spellblade
WOLF WOLF WOLF

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
So is there any kind of new game plus, where you can bring back your already leveled up characters? Since the Celestin homeland seems significantly harder than the other 3.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Double Plus Undead posted:

So is there any kind of new game plus, where you can bring back your already leveled up characters? Since the Celestin homeland seems significantly harder than the other 3.

It seems like there are certain things that you can do that effect later runs, like food that ups certain stats for the very next run, so you could figure it out and plan to buff your physical stats in anticipation of your immediate next run, but other than that... I'm not really sure, we shall find out together.

Episode 3: You Can't Outfox the Sun

It bears mentioning in writing that we are changing the voting method to just vote for the two characters that you want to see played, and we will determine who plays what when we begin each Moon Hunt. Voting ends next Tuesday Night

On a related note New Character

Sargon
Type: Traitor
Uncompromising seeker of enlightenment.

It finally happened.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
"The Demon" the Sun Cult keeps referring to is the Moon itself. They are opposed to her, so they call her a demon.

Anyways, for this next run:
Sun Cultist
Ritualist
One Voice

I just opened the game to check what that class was actually called, and apparently another thing that patch did besides rename Merchant locations to Upgrades was replace all of the class names with the default character name. Kinda weird.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Oblivion4568238 posted:

I just opened the game to check what that class was actually called, and apparently another thing that patch did besides rename Merchant locations to Upgrades was replace all of the class names with the default character name. Kinda weird.

Yeah I just noticed it had a quick download a few days ago, and this is one of the many games that infuriatingly just forgoes patch notes of any kind.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Latest video had like 50% less running into the spiked-shielded enemies with your faces, and that made me happy. Cool game, very interesting. Seems to be vaguely about the preservation of traditional/tribal culture vs a violent modernization.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

I personally am at least marginally better at not face tanking things when I can shoot them instead, but only marginally. also Congratulations Oblivion, you are currently leading the polls by an almost infinite percent.

(Please Vote)

Aquasnake fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 29, 2017

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013
Snowdancer and Sun Cultist hailing from One Voice. Because life is nothing without a challenge.

Also, this LP made me buy the game (because I wanted to find the Moon first). Thank you for showing it off!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Just finished several runs of the game and read the lp, only to find that there are still some significant things to unlock! Nice.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Episode 4: +5 Chakram of Burning Love

So it turns out that the Sun Cultist is all about friendly fire, it's not the most pleasant experience in the world. Also for whatever reason I decided to roll a d20 to pick my character instead of flipping a coin and then decided to base all of my actions in the run on literally a roll of the dice.

On a relatively unrelated note, I mentioned that I watch movies while my editing is processing and otherwise working its way to be viewable by your eyeballs. This morning I watched "The Edge of Seventeen" So it's time for a...

Five Second Film Review
I really enjoyed this film, it's a high school drama focused on an awkward 17 year old girl with literally only one friend, meanwhile her older brother is basically the coolest kid in school. The characters a very strongly emotionally driven and have very clear motivations. If you ever had a sibling that you felt was favored over you (I'm an only child) and were or are an awkward teenage girl (I was not) I think you would really enjoy it. Even if you are not these things but you want a good drama to watch I recommend it.

If you do like this film I would also recommend checking out an indie film called "Cheerleader" It may be difficult to watch as I'm not sure it's in theatres outside of film festivals. But both of these are very realistic portrayals of what high school is like for a lot of people.

To reign the tangent back in, what are your thoughts on my dice gimmick that just sort of happened? Also I'm not sure if it's just because the thread wasn't very active, but the number of votes clearly suffered between this update and the last one and I don't know if it's something we would be able to fix by just me posting in the thread more often, or if a lot of people are just onlookers and don't feel like voting.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
You need more Charm than what you had to seduce Mardokh, but you also can exploit that weakness without discovering it in the same run. I don't know the exact threshold of Charm, but I Rested at every camp on the run that I did it with. You'll want a character who can survive without boosting their essential stats because they're Resting all the time instead. I hate to suggest a character twice in a row, but the Gravity Well just might be the best tool for survival in the entire game.

Ritualist
Witch
Dustfolk

But, before you begin the next run, be sure to talk to the High Priestess and investigate the space she's standing in front of. If I can go ahead and vote for this, bring both Run 1 characters, since you seemed to take to them so well.

The dice gimmick was interesting for this run, but I don't think it ought to come back until you've filled out the constellations, if that's something you feel like doing in the scope of this LP. Event outcomes and trait icons aren't so random and hard to remember as you're making them out to be, and you should be able to start working towards specific traits if you go in with a plan. Also, the mountain is not named Heduanna, the merchant namedrops previous characters to egg the current characters on to becoming as powerful as them. It's part of that whole shared ancestry thing that you see when you meet the other playable characters as NPCs.

Lokapala
Jan 6, 2013
If you want to actually find the Moon, you might want to pay attention to the character that gives you directions (you meet her in the Outskirts every sigle time, come on!). And just in general, take every bolded line of dialogue as instructions, because that's what they are.

And I think the Charm threshold for seducing Mardokh is 25 (you also don't need to have the Seductive trait in your top 3, only to gain it at least once).

:eng101: Kubele the Witch comes from the Dustfolk, Enkidu the Druid is from the Wolf Clan, Dumuzi the Spellblade belongs to the High Tribes, (En)Heduanna the Ritualist is one of the Celestin and Ninlil the Snowdancer hails from One Voice. The locked character has no home, for she is a wandering Priestess (you know how the village leaders keep urging you to find a priestess? That's her.)

Snowdancer
Blood Witch
Celestin

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Ritualist
Witch
Dustfolk

This is a really pretty game, and I'm really liking the LP of it. Pretty chill (well, except for the disaster episode :v:). My only complaint is length of video. They're kind of daunting at 1hr/1.5hr.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

LucyWanabe posted:

This is a really pretty game, and I'm really liking the LP of it. Pretty chill (well, except for the disaster episode :v:). My only complaint is length of video. They're kind of daunting at 1hr/1.5hr.

Yeah, I think you missed the ground floor on the voting for episode length, I'm mostly surprised at how they're so consistently almost the same length, probably just good game design, but it's kind of nice knowing approximately how long on going to be spending on each run before it even begins.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Aww, yeah, went back through the thread and saw it. Oh, well. Not a huge deal for me, I'm still gonna watch them. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwordOfKaz
May 4, 2016

LucyWanabe posted:

As we go further and further into this LP I am also starting to realize just how long these runs are going for. And it doesn't exactly help that we always record these after midnight and at least one of us has been up for work since early in the morning.

Also, good to know that someone seems to understand how this game works, cause I'm sure as hell not clear on it, once again, owing to severe lack of sleep during recording sessions.

• Locked thread