Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
EVIL is probably the next generation of stiff NEVER brawlers if that's what you're asking, but he doesn't do many kicks. If you want a lot of kicks, maybe Nakajima over in NOAH?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

It might just have been Nagata, but Oka looked like a million bucks in the opening match.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Taguchi... nice.

Ryusuke Taguchi posted:

‘Thanks to the guys back in the studio. (Laughter). Thank you. I am the player manager of Taguchi Japan, Ryusuke Taguchi. (Applause). Well, today, at the end of the day, the boys done marvellous (laughter). I really thought there, maybe we didn't quite hit 69% on the pitch tonight, but at the end, the ball rolled into the area, and we burst the onion bag with the eagerness of a puppy (laughter). The boys in Taguchi Japan don't give up. We always get back in there. We get knocked down six times, we get up again nine times. “Down for 6, up for 9.” That's our motto. Elgin, Dragon Lee, (when you're in front of goal) tranquilo, tranquilo. We’re about 69% of where we want to be so there's work to be done. Dragon Lee, Elgin, ganbatte (do your best). You understand? Ganbatte. (Dragon Lee shrugs, uncomprehending) Isn't it? Marvellous. OK! Communication is key. (Laughter).
Yes? Yes! Yes? (Taguchi toys with an imaginary earpiece) Yes. Well, the fans were the 12th man on the pitch tonight, and with their support we will win again. There's not 12 of us? There's not 12 of us. Shall we finish? (Applause). OK! (Sotto voce to Elgin and Lee) we say “we are Taguchi Japan”, OK?
Dragon Lee, Michael Elgin, Nakanishi, Tanahashi and Taguchi. We! Are! Taguchi Japan!’
The five pose to applause to end the show.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

I'd be fine with Cody as a secondary singles guy for BC who could credibly challenge for the NEVER or IC belts.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Would the Young Bucks or Rocky be caught up in the purchase? Those are the only guys NJPW would really worry about losing.

Otherwise, I figure they'd just get another US indy (EVOLVE?) to affiliate with, or maybe set up their own American territory.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

here comes the spunk posted:

So what do you all think they are going to do with Makabe? His only GBH buddy is going to be gone, possibly forever. I know he's a bit of a celebrity so I don't think he'll join Suzuki-Gun or anything that drastic.

He can join the New Japan Dad crew.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

From what I understand the hospitalization was due to dehydration as much as anything else, although the headbutt probably didn't help.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

This won't surprise anyone, but Omega/Ishii was really good.

I also loved monster heel Bad Luck Fale talking about helping underpriveleged kids in his promo video.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Thauros posted:

That's the ideal card imo. Put Tana alongside one of the face gaijin in the tag title match.

My pick would be Tana against Suzuki, possibly for the NEVER belt. It lets him get a significant Dome win and stay a threat after putting younger guys over the last two years.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I wonder if New Japan would look at buying ROH....

What would be the point?

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

Just some back of napkin scribblings

Okada/Naito/Omega/Tana as the main four, SANADA/EVIL from LIJ, Goto/YOSHI-HASHI/Ishii/YTR from CHAOS, Fale/Tama Tonga/Tonga Roa/Cody (or like Adam Page if he's not in) from Bullet Club, Misu/ZSJ from Suzuki-gun, Elgin/Juice/Makabe/Nagata to round out the field?

Kojima could be in there too. And I'm holding out hope for Tiger Mask W, since he's still showing up here and there.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Finlay's gotten swole.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Pop-up Hiromu!

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

That ruled absolutely.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

They're going Broadway!

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

HOW ARE THESE PEOPLE SITTING DOWN????

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

I'm almost unconscious, but I think that was the best match I've ever seen.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

Is that the actual bracket? If so, holy poo poo, Kenny v Naito in the semis and Juice almost certainly going to the finals, that's dope. On the other hand, I find it really hard to believe they would put Juice over either of those guys, yet also really hard to believe they would put the US belt on either of them when putting it on Juice would make a ton of sense.

I could see Kenny and/or Naito losing their quarterfinal matches. It seems like NJPW doesn't want to give any really big matches away on this show, and they can get their wins back during G-1. Juice beating Naito in the finals would be a great payoff to their spring feud, though.

Also, Billy Gunn in a NJPW main event is hilarious to me.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

It's going to be weird when the two top champs, Cody and Billy Gunn, skip the G-1.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Naito/Omega sounds like the best possible final, as they're the only two plausible winners (and they had an incredible match last year_. The problem with that is you need to put one of them in Okada's block. Actually, Omega beating Okada on the last day of the block might be a good way to put a pin in their rivalry for the next six months.

It would have been nice to have Shibata in the mix though. :smith:

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

I totally bought some of the nearfalls in KUSHIDA/BUSHI.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

ROH has been booking their guys to be less important than the Japanese since like 2004

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Kenny currently has a new title and three feuds simmering simultaneously. Okada is still the ace, but it increasingly feels like Omega is the centre of the promotion.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

sigmachiev posted:

Anyway G1 chat: So Naito is definitely winning huh or are we not sure.

That was almost certainly the original plan. Some have suggested that they should switch course and stick with Okada/Omega considering how hot that feud's gotten, but I have a feeling that they're going to keep those two on separate paths for a while after the G-1 in order to establish Omega as the ace of the American expansion.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

I hope Roppongi 3K is Tanaka and Komatsu.

I hope it's Cobb and Riddle, and everyone treats them as juniors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Kind of surprised to not see Young Bucks in the junior tag tournament. Maybe R3K will win, and the Bucks will challenge them afterwards. I definitely don't want to see one of the Suzuki-gun teams get the shot at the Dome.

• Locked thread