Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

dromal phrenia posted:

1. I'm glad that Japan still treats adultery as a big deal

buuuuuut you also get things like the AKB member shaving her head for the audacity of having a boyfriend, or the TV talent Becky being involved with a married singer and getting MUCH more of the heat than he ever did. Taichi's wasn't a big deal because he's not that famous but also because it wasn't another famous person involved (just a fan IIRC).

and the way to contextualize NJPW touring schedule is they have house shows and PPVs, but not a weekly TV show ala Raw or SmackDown. All of the story beats rotate around the bigger events, and promos/etc. stuff is all interviews and not in the ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

coconono posted:

I think Tanahashi is a Kamen Rider now.

His dreams have come true!

Nah Tanahashi is filming a NJPW docu-drama movie so the hair had to go back to "normal."

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

Then forget Riddle, bring over Cobb/Keith Lee and let them hoss-off against War Machine.

This sounds like extremely my poo poo.

Excited for both those guys, hope they get over as well as we think they will.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I actually really liked that Rocky Romero was able to translate the promos at the end of the G1. That was the idea when they had someone like Yoshitatsu at the desk, but Yoshi's English isn't strong enough to pull off the colour commentary aspect, while Rocky and Don were able to do the babyface/heel announcer dynamic.

:ssh: plus I'm sure Rocky can better understand from Gedo what they want to get across and pull it off in English than Yoshi-Tatsu could :ssh:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Germansimp posted:

Look, people in Hiroshima, I know Suzuki's a heel, and you have the human garbage can that is Taichi out there, but NOT singing along to Kaze ni Nare? That's shameful.

Fukushima. Wrong part of Japan.

Though you are correct, not singing "Kaze ni Nare" is shameful.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Baron Corbyn posted:

Neoliberal Tanahashi.

Mods, name change etc.

I'll try to catch it this weekend, the G1 was a lot of King of Sports but I'm trying to get real excited again leading into Wrestle Kingdom.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Baron Corbyn posted:

I love puns and Delorean Driver is a great pun.

harder to yell out in Japanese though.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Sydal: I was born at exactly 4:2-
Goes to jail

Nahhh, there's plenty of people here who wear stuff with pot leafs or other first-year-uni stoner stuff. It's just the actual product itself that's kinda definitely seriously a no-no.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

iirc one of the ways to pronounce 9-4 in Japanese is Ku-Shi.

Yep, there's ways to read numbers in Japanese that correspond to some syllables. So 9-4-6-9 is Ku-shi-ro-ku, or Kushida Lock. Same as mentioned with Yoshi-Hashi, 4484 yo-shi-ha-shi. Some of this goes back a long time, and also the 80s/90s when people had pagers.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Food Court Druid posted:

I hope it's Cobb and Riddle, and everyone treats them as juniors.

It would be perfect for the next Roppongi Vice to be a pair of gaijin who may or may not have vices (sup Riddle).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yep, the Monday is a national holiday in Japan so it's a guaranteed three-day weekend.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Johnny Landmine posted:

Evil! Bushi! Sanada! Hiromu! Naito! y... Generico!

Be still my heart

Also if Neville leaves and comes to NJPW he’ll be unreasonably good. Just let him and Kushida go for the next year or so.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The ROH title match is the piss-break match at previous WKs, if that helps to answer any questions.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

About 12 hours until WK tickets go on general sale. At most 14. Keep your heads on a swivel.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah NJPW was directing online sales to this site, before 30 minutes ago sales were only to NJPW fan club members.

At least on this site, all of the floor seats were gone inside two minutes. I had to settle for “1F Stand” seats (baseball infield for Tokyo Dome), which should be fine.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

checksin posted:

ditto, i just went with 1F stand
i figure arena b would have a bullshit view even with my tall gaijin head

poo poo, now i have to go get them from will call that day, don't i

Depends on what you agreed to for ticket delivery!

I’m going by 7-11 tonight to pay for and pick mine up.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

extremely jealous of all y'all doing WK trips! Please take notes so when I go later in 2018 (maybe around the G1?) I have ideas of things to do :)

WK is an easy trip, just a few train changes and I’m there :v: I should have already posted something of a guide in here (check history), that may help, but otherwise the only addition is that it’ll be muggy as poo poo in Tokyo around G1 time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Baron Corbyn posted:

Watch out Dwayne and Dave, the next wrestler to cross over into the acting world has emerged and he's coming for your crowns.

https://twitter.com/njpw1972/status/925535852557508608

Nah, no big acting stars that aren’t Ken Watanabe act in both domestic Japanese films/TV and Hollywood.

And I’ve been on the periphery a bit but I’m excited to catch up ahead of Wrestle Kingdom and boy this weekend’s show looks like the place to do so.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

What else is forgotten so far - Heavyweight Tag title match, NEVER title match, NEVER trios match are all ones you’d have to imagine are there. ROH title match possibly? Another separate grudge match or gimmick match of some kind? Any chance they do one of the Tag or trios matches as multi-team (prob for trios IMO).

In any case I have tickets and I’m excited :3:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Just FYI, the way Tanahashi and Kota played after the match made it seem very much like a senpai/kohai, big brother/younger brother thing. As in Ibushi got a bit uppity and tried to challenge the bigger brother, and he had to get a bit mean, but afterwards was supportive - "You'll get it next time" promo from Tanahashi, and calling Ibushi back to the ramp for it - especially coming through with Ibushi snapping off some bows to Tanahashi and the crowd.

And then the Switchblade video kicked in, and we see a young boy coming back. Amazing that Jay White could cover up the rocket on his back with all that leather.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

VJeff posted:

I bought a Fire TV Stick pretty much specifically to watch NJPW on my TV. I have been extremely, extremely satisfied with the purchase.

(Having said that, really, why isn't it on Roku or PS4 yet - if they really want this US Expansion to be real they gotta get on that poo poo)

Watch New Japan make a PS4 streaming app and only release it in the Japanese PSN store :v:

Also I’d bank on WK12 getting more than 40,000 in. Probably 45k if the early sales are any indication.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I mean I understand why they only use one hard camera for all the house show tag matches...but man does it suck comapfed to the regular events.

It’s expensive to haul a lot of equipment to municipal town gyms and bingo halls.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jubs posted:

That's the Liontamer.

the Liontamer is higher angle and the knee into the back, Walls was higher Boston Crab but is now essentially just the Boston Crab.

and the NJPW commentators are just gonna mark out and yell it out in Japanese and won't point out how the Young Lions also use the move because professional wrestling is all about suspending belief.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Wonder how many of those rules are due to rowdy 80's All Japan Women's crowd attacking Dump with sewing needles

Wait what

Also I went to WWE’s shows in Tokyo 2015-16 and Jericho was over as gently caress. Of course there’s only so much crossover between NJPW and WWE fandoms, but its Jericho, he’s a big enough name to be a big draw. And NJPW is pushing that already, at least on Twitter.

Wrestle Kingdom gonna be reeeeeaaal good.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

coconono posted:

Dude lives in country and has a big schlonger.

And is a young, handsome-enough dude with a bit of money and a decent profile. Tokyo (let’s be real, Shibuya or Roppongi) is your oyster in that case.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

To think, we all thought that Matt Bloom was Juice's mentor, but it was actually Dave Meltzer all along.

Ya wonder if he asked Devitt for any advice...

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

So wait we’re getting Goto vs Suzuki as a hair match at the Dome too?

Kami ni kire~

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The shot of Jericho with the belt in the ring is the cover of this week’s Shūkan Puroresu. Saw it on the way to work this morning. To say the Angle has no heat based on the Fukuoka crowd is a bit disingenuous.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It’s like y’all forget he had the white IC belt for a bit recently too and did almost zero with that.

He’s completely serviceable but the IWGP title choke streak is more “lol Goto” than sad. Suzuki is understandable, he’s supposed to be a credible heel outsider so that means not a champion in waiting, but Goto is now almost just worst-case-scenario Naito.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’m just happy I get “Kaze ni Nare” at the Dome because I didn’t last time (WK10).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

something something milf joke.

the most misogynist Japanese joke I've heard - what do women and Christmas cakes have in common? No good after the 25th.

:japan: in a nutshell

[edit]

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Gin and Fried Food

DDT tickets and WK12 Dome tickets :boom:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thauros posted:

a yakuza style game where you switch off between tana, okada, and naito as the playable characters would be my dream game. minoru suzuki is basically kuze from y0 anyway.

Yakuza team is already working on Hokuto ga Gotoku (aka Fist of the Yakuza) which is a crossover with Fist of the North Star coming next year, and since I want this NJPW game to come out soon, I hope that is something that comes along down the line.

just please god let it be a Good Wrestling Game (non-Fire Pro division) and I'll be happy.

I doubt it's Fire Pro itself licensing in the game, the only license they've done was the Takayama DLC and that was charity.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

what if njpw came to them

what if its just more mobile game junk

The mobile games don’t usually warrant this level (WK12 fan fest) of announcement and fanfare.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

naitoooooooooooooo

I’m excited for a new NJPW console game if it gives us more of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

NJPW fighter in the Tekken engine

DO IT

• Locked thread