Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Finally watched WK11, after all the hype. I haven't followed NJPW since Naito was heavyweight champion.

I got up to the main event. As it's beginning, my roommate walks into the living room.

She says "What's this?"

"This is New Japan Pro Wrestling. This is Okada vs. Kenny Omega. A lot of people are saying this might be the very best wrestling match ever. Hyperbole, but we'll see."

I'm about two minutes in, with the match beginning with that extended headlock spot.

She looks all unimpressed and says "I don't see how this is so great." Then walks away.

Gotta love casual fans.

P.S. I really loved the match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I watched that New Years Dash show. I liked it but two complaints (I'll spoiler it in case no one has seen it):

1) I really hated the finish to Elgin/Kushida v Naito/Takahashi because it annoys me when champions get pinned in non title matches. (It's probably also because I'm a huge Tetsuya Naito mark)

2) not sure why LIJ already lost the belts

Other than that it was fun.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Super No Vacancy posted:

they have champions lose in tags/multimans all the time to set up future challengers, they did the same thing with goto. you should differentiate tag losses from singles losses

I still don't like it. I believe it's better practice if the champs always go over. If the champ is on a tag team, and loses because his partner is pinned, that's fine.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Rodney the Piper posted:

The champ losing to a guy is an easy way to logically set up a contender for that champ. Doing it in a tag match of some sort helps protect the champ but shows enough that the challenge can beat them, leading to intrigue for their upcoming title match.

Eh, I don't buy it. The champ is supposed to be the best in his division. If he gets pinned like anyone else, I begin to care less about seeing someone take the belt off him.

If a champ has to get pinned in a non title match, it should be very, very, very, very infrequently. I mean, "once every seven years" kind of infrequently. That way, it's shocking, and means more.

If a champ has to lose, do it in a tag match where his partner isn't a champion and let him eat the pin instead. It's an easy angle. The challenger pins the champ's partner, so that's a loss in the champ's record. The challenger can then boast that when they meet at the PPV or whatever, he's gonna pin him. Or whatever. I'm making naan and there's flour all over my hands so I'm typing like a retard.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I like LIJ :smith:

And Tetsuya Naito is by far my favorite wrestler right now. That guy is awesome. I hope he gets a decent heavyweight title run in the future instead of that Edge-like stopgap reign he had last year.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I'm happy for Juice Robinson. He's not lighting the world on fire but you can tell he's using NJPW as a learning experience. Good for him.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

The_Rob posted:

I was listening to Cornette talk about the omega vs okada match and man I know it's old hat at this point to bitch about corny but dude really needs to update what he thinks about wrestling. Like first of all he spends 10 minutes bitching about omega no showing a show a decade ago. Then he rants about the ddt stuff, and when he finally gets into reviewing the match it's him saying there is too much selling and the match should have ended in a count out after the table spot. A count out on their biggest show of the year for the title in the main event. I'll give him credit for giving the match some credit but come on.

Cornette's rant on the match was truly old crotchety stubbornness but I think you're taking his "count out " comment out of context. He was saying that the spot was so brutal that it should be used when you want to do a count out or write someone out for an injury angle, rather than having that spot and then continuing the match for even longer afterwards. He wasn't saying end that match in a count out with that spot.

He's still a stubborn old prick with bad opinions about a modern product, though.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

The_Rob posted:

I mean I get what he was saying. And he even gave that spot a lot of credit for how good it looked. But he said that it looked so good it should have had him get counted out or do a hospital angle. Which in the context of a smaller match I would actually agree with him. But the main event of wk 11 I don't get that at all.

He wasn't saying do a count out in the match, he was saying don't do a spot that brutal unless you are planning to either do a count out finish or write someone off tv for a while. He just worded it poorly because as always he lets his crotchety complaining get the best of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I love how Okada's default facial expression is "not amused"

• Locked thread