Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MotU posted:

you can also add egg to any white castle burger

That's good since it'll probably be the only thing properly cooked on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I saw the segment where they teased dissension between Cody and Kenny but couldn't hear a good chunk of what was said. What happened?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

Where's Double J???

Drunk in a ditch somewhere.

Seriously though, I wonder if his few appearances weren't supposed to be more, and he hosed it up like he did when he was NWA champ by making big demands. Apparently he asked for all kinds of star treatment when he went there as NWA champion and NJPW was none too pleased.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

That was with Zero One. I assume he was there as part of the deal to do the PPV and when NJPW didn't go forward with that arrangement they didn't need Jeffrey.

Ah okay. Still, how dumb do you have to be to big time people in Japan, a place with a pretty set in stone way of doing things?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He also had a fun match with Mike Elgin in PWG back when he was still Kamataichi. I think the show was Prince?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The_Rob posted:

Oh poo poo. Crazy that they want to bring back the LA Dojo. I was there for a couple years.

Like, as an employee? That's pretty cool.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

schweens posted:

Please do this match at Wrestle Kingdom. Let Okada/Naito main event

WK could be something like this

Okada v Naito, for the big belt
Omega vs Ibushi, US title
War Machine vs G.O.D. tag belts
Cody vs Tanahashi, ROH title
MCMG vs Young Bucks, IWGP Jr. titles
MiSu vs Zack Sabre Jr. NEVER title

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

I'm guessing based it looking like they're doing ZSJ/Tanahashi for the IC title and Desperado/KUSHIDA that Juice or Elgin beats Suzuki in the G1 for a NEVER title shot and Suzuki/Tanahashi is the eventual outcome of that faction battle. I'm not sure on how one of them ends up dropping their title, but I guess they could do a unification match to get rid of one of their four singles heavyweight titles.

poo poo I forgot to even include a match for KUSHIDA

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

coconono posted:

Hiromu/Fale. Daryl must be avenged

NJPW's history says that doesn't go too well for Hiromu. Juniors don't seem to be allowed triumph over heavyweights unless they move up in weight class.

Which is a shame, because he has good matches with heavyweights.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://twitter.com/MrLARIATO/status/884192347763990528

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm really pleased ACH has a seemingly permanent spot now with NJPW, I think it's insane ROH missed the bus on him AND Cedric Alexander, certainly lends credence to the whole "ROH doesn't like pushing multiple black people".

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Remember when it seemed kinda bleak for NJPW because they lost Nakamura, Devitt and The Good Brothers?

Seems forever ago now.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

VJeff posted:

I bought a Fire TV Stick pretty much specifically to watch NJPW on my TV. I have been extremely, extremely satisfied with the purchase.

(Having said that, really, why isn't it on Roku or PS4 yet - if they really want this US Expansion to be real they gotta get on that poo poo)

Agreed about the Roku comment, there are tiny lovely indies who have managed to figure that poo poo out, get on it NJPW

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TUS posted:

Im so happy for Chuck Taylor!

Same. He's a pretty likable guy and far worse talents have gotten the friend contract.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It sounds like Chucky T is finally getting his due, good for him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is there any possibility they have Best Friends win as part of trying to help Trent's credibility as a heavyweight?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
KES is more interesting if you're aware of how much Archer improved

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Maybe Elgin will wear an ill-fitting suit again

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Everything I've ever heard about Tana makes him come off like the platonic ideal for how Top Talent™ should treat others and conduct themselves.

Well, except the DDT thing, but that might have been an angle?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Cameo posted:

Step One to becoming Top Talent? Cheat on your news anchor girlfriend enough that she loving tries to stab you in a hotel room when you dump her.

Pfft, do you know another way?

Seriously, I'd read that it was her having troubles with mental health, and the "Pout about having to work DDT" was the only negative thing I'd heard. Safe to say her career is deader than XPW?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

rovert posted:

Havok's social media situation being unearthed during her NXT tryout was poor timing obviously. But Elgin acutely hosed himself over.

For the sake of making a point, New Japan likely wouldn't have cared about the initial rape allegation cover up situation. But they would care about bad mouthing his tag partner Cobb.

While WWE obviously wouldn't really care about bad mouthing Cobb. But they most certainly would have cared about the initial rape allegation cover up situation and beyond.

No idea what ROH would think of either situation however it is well documented Delirious and Elgin really don't get along or get along for long.

Elgin kept digging and digging and digging a bigger hole for himself this week. The week of the #MeToo Movement made Time magazine's 'Person Of The Year.' And when his NJPW contract is up in the air anyway.

Didn't Delirious and Elgin both come from Gateway Wrestling?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Imagine how good at wrestling Elgin will be after THIS meltdown

Somebody has to be willing to book him so we can find out before we'll know for sure

Also if you can't have a good match with Omega in NJPW, go ahead and quit the biz now

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The video of Omega attacking Jericho for retribution was money, especially with Jericho doing a good job showing how rattled he was afterwards. Being virulent with the media, forcing the reporter to write down that it'll be Kenny's last match.

Also bix has been making GBS threads on Omega on twitter for like a year, that's nothing new. He claims Toru Yano, Nattie Neidhart, Yoshi-Hashi, and Trevor Lee are better than Omega. Lee's the only one in that list who can regularly have compelling matches.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Takuan posted:

There's a youtube channel called Rasslin' Rantin' that has a series explaining New Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6tuEOOMCv0

It's pretty good, and it's a pretty quick way to get an idea of how the company presents itself and how it's different from the WWE.

A channel run by a guy named Showbuckle has some good NJPW stuff, too.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Takuan posted:

Showbuckle's videos are great too, though not as introductory-level as Rasslin' Rantin'.

Though his video on Tetsuya Naito is a great way to get an understanding of the history and significance of this year's Wrestle Kingdom main event.
https://youtu.be/VZgZEgCkrs0

Yeah, it's by far the video I learned the most from. The Tanahashi vs Okada one is great, too though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sleepwalkers posted:

Same re: WK10. Tana is awesome, he's extremely polished and an exceptionally good worker, but it was the massively different style of Shibata/Ishii that hooked me. I appreciate Tana for what he is now, but it took a while.

And the parallels with Cena continue.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Tonfa posted:

Current roster members who have not succeeded in their IWPG Heavyweight title challenges:

8x- Hirooki Goto
6x- Minoru Suzuki
2x- Kenny Omega
1x- Bad Luck Fale, Cody, EVIL, Kota Ibushi, Michael Elgin, Takashi Iizuka, Tomohiro Ishii, Toru Yano, Yujiro Takahashi

Jeez Hirooki, get it together

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Hopefully Goto wins because Suzuki's reign has been horrible.

The NEVER belt seems perfect for Goto as a way to get some credibility back. I wouldn't mind if Goto was the one to beat Omega once Kenny wins the belt. He's too good to keep booking like he simply cannot get the job done under any circumstances.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What happened with ACH in NJPW? Seems like he hasn't been around in a while.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NuclearPotato posted:

Why do I get the feeling that a Cody in Japan meet and greet would go over about as well as Virgil at a convention

People seem to think he's the equivalent of what he meant in WWE over there but I don't get that impression at all.

I think they're pretty high on him, just not as much as they are on Kenny.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

It does help him get bookings but that doesn't really make fans come see you and buy your poo poo. He's actually bringing in fans on top of being liked backstage.

I've chalked it up to him having supreme confidence in presenting the whole "misused former WWE talent" thing. Lots of people, like Adam Rose, float that out there but get exposed as simply being nothing special. The difference between those bums and Rhodes is that he makes an effort to present something different than what he was doing in WWE. He also made a point to give the impression he was excited to work the indies with that list he posted on Twitter. I think, in a sense, there isn't a ton of difference between Shane Douglas going to ECW and becoming a big deal to that type of fan, and what Cody is doing now. Cody is a very confident talker who is buoyed by being a member of Bullet Club who is able to appear frequently in the U.S., and as tired as some may be of the Bullet Club, it puts butts in seats. Conversely, Douglas was a very confident talker who had the underground buzz of ECW doing the same thing for him that BC does for Cody. The major difference being that Rhodes is a better wrestler and doesn't get exposed as badly as Douglas when he doesn't have booking covering for his deficiencies.

Cody can also cut a strong heel promo without dropping 30 F bombs.

• Locked thread