Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Can someone quickly run down why these non-Suzuki guys in Suzukigun suck? Are we talking sloppy, bad at psychology, competent but can't connect with the crowd, bad characters, bad looks? I wanna know what to be ready for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Okada is the best wrestler in the world and this is the first title defense in his current run where I'm actively rooting against him. Kenny... you can do it

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

If Okada is considered the best wrestler in the world right now does that make Omega #2?

That's where I'd rank the two of them, with AJ Styles at #3

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
The best thing about Yujiro Takahashi is that he shares both his given name and his surname with wrestlers on the roster who are much, much better than him

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

I Before E posted:

Who's the other Yujiro?

Yujiro Kushida

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

I Before E posted:

This but Dragon Lee and Hiromu doing the tag partners who hate each other thing

I'm pretty sure Hiromu loves Lee. When he made his adorable BoSJ scrapbook, the entry for Lee just said "LOVE"

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Obviously nothing will replace Tana's glorious golden mane but you're kidding yourself if you don't think he still looks hot as hell with the new haircut.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Artelier posted:

Was this part of the G1? I know Tama Tonga as almost Roman Reigns but with stamina and the not-RKO. Sounds fun.

Yup. Tama's an interesting case: there's been a general "Tama is underused" sense around here for a while because he has an amazing quality of movement that lets him make spots as basic as a stinger splash look like death, and he can do a lot of really fun character work as per his G1 matches with SANADA and Yano, but he's definitely been passed by in terms of "push this man now" sentiment by stars like Juice and EVIL

I think a lot of it just comes down to the fact that in spite of this legitimately very important positive qualities I've mentioned, he very rarely if ever has a singles match that truly grabs people's attention and makes him look like a star. He was in there this tournament against best-in-the-world workers like Okada and Omega, and nobody was really saying "holy poo poo you have to see Tama vs. _____". Granted, his place on the card meant he didn't have any main event slots where he could get a 20+ minute showcase, but neither did Zack Sabre Jr. and people have been rightly giving enthusiastic recommendations of his matches with Tanahashi, Ibushi, and Ishii

It's a bit of a sad situation given how much potential folks have seen in Tama over the years, but it's not like NJPW is really hurting for other lower-card stars to give push opportunities to. For now, it looks like Tama's going to stay parked in the heavyweight tag division with his less talented brother, while occasionally getting the opportunity to do great Bullet Club character work. There are many worse places to end up

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I really hope that Taguchi Japan gets a clean sweep against those Suzukigun DORKS

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I think a lot of why I can't get as into Suzuki as a character as I'd like to is that I fundamentally can't respect a guy who chooses to hang out with Taichi on purpose

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

shiksa posted:

that would be cool as hell.

im finishing up destruction at kobe and i just realized i LOVE okada's music now. i used to really dislike it, and i wasn't really into okada, and i thought the music was a little much, like, calm down moneyfucker. now it gets me so hyped when i hear it.

Whenever it first hit during his undefeated run in the first two thirds of the G1, I would just instinctively think "oh you're so hosed" about his opponent. He just owns the building whenever he comes out these days

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Reading the HOF stuff in this weeks Observer and Okada pretty much is 100% first ballot Hall of Famer in 2019. Still hard to believe he's only 30

I'm guessing it's 2019 specifically because that's the first year he's eligible - how does eligibility actually work for the Observer HoF?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Can someone please give a summary of how Big Mike hosed up? I think part of it is he was being an rear end in a top hat to Jeff Cobb on social media?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you for clearing it up! It's definitely weird that I'd only heard about the Cobb stuff previously based on the limited attention I'd been paying to NJPW news recently, but at least I know now

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Does Switchblade have any faction affiliation? If not, are there any other unaffiliated heels on the current NJPW roster? I might be missing some, but as far as I can tell everyone fits into CHAOS, Taguchi Japan, LIJ, Bullet Club, Suzuki-Gun, or the face remnants of of the NJPW main force that didn't get absorbed into Taguchi Japan

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I just saw a video of Jay White in the Switchblade gimmick for the first time and it looks like he actually has decent presence in the ring, which is weird because literally every still image of him looks like a teenaged Trent Reznor cosplayer who's about to cry

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Tana’s best moment for me was his pitch-perfect one-night heel turn when Okada won the belt from him at I think Invasion Attack. That’s when it really clicked that this guy had a phenomenal ability to give the crowd exactly what they wanted

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Naito's got my absolute favorite blend of "sympathetic & likable" and "relentless rear end in a top hat" that I've ever seen on a top heel. And it's all part of a very consistent characterization that's had a clear and compelling evolution over the years. Okada's had a phenomenal run and may very well be the best main event wrestler of all time, but I think it's time for him to hand it over. After all, he's got at least ten more years in his career barring serious injury, so he'll have plenty of chances to get it back and pad his already legendary set of accolades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Super No Vacancy posted:

naitoooooooooooooo

• Locked thread