Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

My favorite New Japan pattern that everyone forgets is the annual Fale Is A Threat season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

KungFu Grip posted:

Jerusalem please change the thread title to NJPW 2017 - chapp in peace

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

DEAR RICHARD posted:

remind me what the point of a shoot headbutt in a wrestling match is, please

The same reason there are chairshots to the head, except less bad because at least you aren't giving a poo poo about yourself or your opponent instead of just your opponent.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

Kane got title runs

Fale beat Nakamura for the IC Title. :colbert:

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I think New Japan should put on good wrestling matches and that New Japan fans in the US who bought tickets purely on the chance to see New Japan wrestlers having good wrestling matches will like seeing good wrestling matches, especially if their favorite wrestler wins in the main event.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

RealFoxy posted:

I think even Paul Heyman would be jealous of how good Jado and Gedo are at finding nobodies and turning them into stars. I'm starting to believe that Kushia is the best Jr Heavyweight since the KENTA/Marifuji era.

I think everyone would be jealous of them for pulling the greatest carny move ever: Sending their planned next megastar to TNA on an excursion to ensure he has no interest in ever leaving for a US company.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I only saw a little of Watanabe in ROH but I seem to recall he wasn't anything particularly special and some people thought he was going to be largely forgotten when he returned to New Japan.

Then we got EVIL and the world became a DARKER, EVILER place :devil:

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I can't believe the guy who called Chris Benoit Chris Jericho (or maybe it was the other way around) made mistakes.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MrBling posted:

can someone talk at length about Hirai Kawato?

This years G1 is the first time I've really seen him and he seems like he has the potential to be a real good wrestler.

He's only 20 years old, so he will probably do a lot of wrestling fellow young lions and/or losing to anybody he faces of real note for the next couple years before going on an excursion to USA or Mexico, then we'll see where he stands after that. Okada was only 24 when he won his first IWGP Championship after starting in New Japan at 20 (and the win came so quickly after his return from being a jobber in TNA that the goon reaction was largely 'lol okada really lol new japan'), so it's not unheard of that someone could rise that quickly.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Giant Murderbaby posted:

I subscribed to NJPW World recently so I have been scouring through their back catalogue and I found a match between Makabe and Tanahashi from 1999 and holy poo poo they are BABIES.

http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00270_1_1

They look like default options in a create-a-wrestler mode.

Getting non-generic gear is a key part of the separating being a Young Lion from being a real wrestler, and Young Lion Tanahashi would have been less than a month into his career at this time.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Daryl vs. Fale should main event the Dome.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I want to see a fun young lion team with his buddy old man Nagata and similarly I want the other fun young lion to get beaten up by his enemy old man Nagata.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Matt Riddle is more or less a perfect fit in New Japan outside of the weed thing.

The weed thing could be a ticking time bomb though, and not in a Hiromu way.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Juice go to CMLL.

Elgin too.

Hell Izuka can come too so I can see some horrible Puebla matches.

The question isn't what Iizuka would have in Puebla that would be terrible.

The question is what Iizuka match in Puebla would be most terrible.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

shiksa posted:

so are these guys gonna start getting their own outfits/characters/etc. after the young lion cup? or does management just cross that bridge when it comes with whatever guy at whatever time?

Generally guys get characters/outfits/etc. after doing an excursion overseas. The Young Lion Cup is more a showcase.

It usually goes:

Wrestle other young lions and job to veterans for a year or more.
Overseas tour for a year or more.
Return to fanfare with a character.

For example, Hiromu wrestled for three years as a young lion, then went to CMLL and ROH for three years, then returned last year with the Time Bomb thing and shortly after won the Jr. Heavyweight Title.

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 12, 2017

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Isn't The Bullet Club literally a Japanese property, which is why The Elite exist?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

So if they match last year's November/December, that'd put them at a little over 350k and a little over 10% growth? Pretty good.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

NowonSA posted:

I like that even big deal guys like Kenny and Okada are still in stables so they can be in wild 4 man tag matches and such at any given time, no matter if they're a champion or not. NJPW is good stuff.

It makes sense. If you're a wrestler, why wouldn't you want to hang out, be friends, and have matches with a top star?

And if you're a cool person, why wouldn't you want a bunch of friends?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

ribtstu posted:

im getting really excited for wk

thanks for reading

hot take, but same

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

St Evan Echoes posted:

imagine posting on the something awful forums and not being the kind of nerd who liked Donatello the best just get the gently caress out

Raph or get out

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

He uses a loving stick.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

The part about being second biggest behind Omega is true.

i mean, who would be bigger, the Bucks? Bucks are light heavyweight tag guys, which is about as low on the New Japan totem pole as it gets for non-Young Lions.

the only person i could see an argument for is juice, and that's a really tough one to make

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

wait, never mind BIGMIKE is wrong

he's not Bad Luck Fale

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I'm going to be disappointed with myself for hyping myself up for something that will probably never happen, but I've been thinking about the prospect of post Wrestle Kingdom being an increasingly infuriated Chris Jericho going up against Tranquilo champion Naito and I want to see it so badly.

I mean, Jericho does have an opening in the Fozzy tour that happens to fit Strong Style Evolved, and the way he's talked to Naito on Twitter does feel like a storyline...

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

sleep with the vicious posted:

All your favourite athletes are abusing peds bro

what if my favorite athlete is yokozuna

are you telling me cheeseburgers are peds

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Kojima: Shut Up And Eat Bread Gaiden: But Not Right Before Bed Let's All Eat Bread In The Morning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I can't believe Okada is going to beat up Goku in Xenoverse 3.

• Locked thread