Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

KungFu Grip posted:

disappointed that Fale is suddenly Okada's next opponent after losing the NJ Cup and not even picking up the win in his match.

Isn't that generally how these things go? Like, in 2012 Goto lost to Okada, so Tanahashi was like 'okay, I was the runner-up and Goto hosed up, so I deserve another shot' and he won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Probably best if he misses the G1. And the Tag League. And you know it's probably best if he's out altogether until New Year's Dash.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Aye, Naito's set to win the G1, and I suspect they're going to have Okada either retain until January or beat Omega in October/November after he loses at Dominion. (On that note, it'd be cool if the G1 winner would actually go over this time. Like, the only reason they had Kenny win last year instead of Naito was because they really didn't want Okada to lose his first defense, even though in kayfabe he came really drat close to losing it.)

Also, if Kenny wins at Dominion, who's going to face him at Long Beach? I bet it'll be Ishii, since he has a title shot saved up from beating Okada in the G1 and he beat Kenny in the first round of the NJ Cup this year.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

sigmachiev posted:

He's got Ishii at Dontaku, so it'd be three matches together in the span of only a few months, which isn't typically how they do things. Then again it'd be a rubber match kind of thing so could work.

Assuming Kenny wins, I could see him going against Tanahashi. Send in the living legend to get the belt back on the champ's home turf kind of story. And he can lose to Omega in the US no problem.

Ah, shoot, I hadn't seen the Dontaku card. Fair dos. Tanahashi would be good, but I doubt he'd want to come back to the HC scene just for a show in Long Beach. I suspect they're going to save that rematch (maybe the Omega/Tanahashi ladder match for the IC title???) for WK12. Thinking about it, I hope it's Michael Elgin in Long Beach, since he's already beaten Omega and it's only logical.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

In contrast, Naito's average is only a measly 4.75. Simply atrocious. Not like Kenny Omega, with his wonderful average of 5.375.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Baron Corbyn posted:

I'm kinda surprised btw, since I heard Dave has taken points off for headbutts in the past and this one had a headbutt that sent Shibata to the emergency room?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Fighting spirit, I guess. I didn't hear the WOR episode about Sakura Genesis, so idk what he said there, but yeah, I guess it made the match seem that more real and it fit Shibata's character and it's a 5 for that reason. Same with the blood. He probably wasn't blading, because it's looking less and less like a work every day, but at the time it seemed like the best example of blading for years and it fit with Shibata's determination and character that it was just...yeah, it worked for the match.

e: also, who do you folks reckon will challenge War Machine in the future? That was the first match I've seen by them, and they looked incredible, but I'm not sure who'll be next. Wish Lance Archer were healthy, we could've had a KES/War Machine programme for a bit. Maybe EVIL and SANADA could give it a shot.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 13, 2017

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jesus Christ. I really hope he gets better soon and absolutely stays out of the ring forever because holy gently caress that doesn't sound good at all.

...what a way to retire though.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Cardboard Box posted:

can new japan stop letting their talent do headbutts now

ftfy b/c holy poo poo if Honma comes back he needs to stop doing diving headbutts

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

DEAR RICHARD posted:

remind me what the point of a shoot headbutt in a wrestling match is, please

~realism~

it's the wrestling equivalent of method acting, if 'method acting' meant 'bleeding hardway and giving yourself a subdural haematoma'

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Yeah, iirc Tanahashi lost all of his matches in the 2012 World Tag League because Captain New Japan took every single pinfall for him. Obviously it didn't matter to Tanahashi because he was in the main event of WK7 anyway, but that's what happened regardless.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

...Minoru Suzuki finally won a singles title in New Japan and not one post about it since then? drat. That match was great.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Yep. The way I see it, Okada will get his rematch with Kenny after the G1 and Naito will go on to win in the finals. I also see it being Okada/Naito at the Dome, and I also feel like Omega/Ibushi will happen there but I also really want the Omega/Tanahashi ladder match beforehand. Heck, if they don't sign Ibushi, they're probably going to do Omega/Tanahashi at the Dome.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

tbh if Tanahashi wins at Dominion I kinda want them to do Omega/Naito in Long Beach, but w/e

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

tbh if I were a washed-up wrestler in NJPW or wherever I'd want a match with the former ace of the promotion as well, just for the hell of it

Venomous fucked around with this message at 10:35 on May 8, 2017

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

harperdc posted:

Make Hiromu into the new Nakamura actually plz thx

unify the Jr Heavy and the HC and make the juniors fight for the IC alongside the heavies

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I still think that Naito will win the G1 and Okada will win back the title in around October, but idk. Either way, I think 2018 will be the year they break the G1 cash-in losing streak.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Thrifting Day! posted:

Here's a thing, what's with the incessant hate of Taichi?

Sure he's not great, but he's no more boring than a lot of the other lower card guys who get flung in multi man's

Taichi cheated on his wife and made that his gimmick. For this reason, he sucks and he should go home.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

C. Everett Koop posted:

Any decent outsiders expected this year or are we stuck with two weeks worth of Cody Rhodes matches?

ZSJ for sure. Maybe Kushida if he loses at Dominion (he won't). Would love to see Matt Riddle this year too. Otherwise, idk. Kento?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

No, just no. He's had an extremely good run but there were a lot of extremely good wrestlers going in 1997.

aye but Okada's the best wrestler in the world right now, maybe second to AJ Styles at a push, so they have a lot more going for them rn than, say, Misawa did back then

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Naito is going to win the G1. LIJ is still the most over thing in NJPW rn, and Omega only won it last year because in hindsight it made a lot of sense for NJPW's new ace to win his first Dome match after definitively becoming the ace, even if they made a drat good feud around it that lessened the inevitability. This time, Naito will win and he'll have an incredible match with Okada.

Okada is probably going to be in Omega's block, and he'll get his win back there and get the title back at KOPW to face Naito at the Dome.

After Kenny loses the HC, he'll probably aim for the IC title and have the Tanahashi/Omega ladder match at the Dome.

If I am right, the fact that this is so predictable isn't a bad thing, because all of these matches will be wonderful as heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Elgin and Naito are in different blocks, so Elgin's going to beat Naito at Long Beach. Okada/Omega III will absolutely go to a draw, but Omega will advance to the finals nevertheless. Elgin and possibly Yano will beat Okada. IDK about the rest, but Ishii's probably going to get his win back against Naito. Great lineup anyway.

e: also, I made a wee prediction bracket for the US title tournament for the hell of it, so we can see how remarkably wrong most of us are at the end http://challonge.com/fj71sljk

Venomous fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Jun 26, 2017

• Locked thread