Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I saw quite a few people saying that Kenny should have won the belt last night, especially because of all the fresh eyes and life him and Naito have brought to the product. People need to remember that Okada was just crowned the Ace a year ago. There was never any chance of him losing under the Dome this year, and probably for a few years yet. The only thing that ever mattered was whether the match was going to make Kenny look like he COULD have won, especially without help from the BCs, and cement his position as a top guy so he can win the belt later. Remember, he was a Junior until this year, and every other guy who went up to Heavyweight from Jr. has taken years to earn being booked to this level. He came within a hair of beating the Ace on his own merits, without help, and never got to use his own finisher. Kenny Omega has arrived.

What we should be really celebrating is that they DID let Naito win. That was the big question mark, if they had the balls to let the Old Ace lose under the dome a second time in two years, if they had that level of confidence in Naito or if they were going to dismiss his current run as a flash in the pan. Thankfully the stars aligned and they pulled that trigger. The Tana/Okada/Nakamura/Styles set has officially become the Okada/Naito/Omega/?? set, and its going to mean years of great feuds, just like the old one did

If I were going to make a wild guess about a storyline this year, it would be that Tana gets the IC belt back or set his sights on the NEVER Openweight, and successfully defends it at WK12 this year. They can still keep his character alive a bit longer by doing that because both his Dome Losses have been as a challenger, which means he has one last golden egg to give in the form of "The first man to win a title from him under the dome."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Jerusalem posted:

They should take part in more wholesome activities that involve zero gambling, such as pachinko!

I think my favorite thing about Japan was how the video arcades all had this progression from the door to crane games to Arcade Ticket Games to Pachinko and Slot machines. They're literally training them all their lives to slowly move up the gambling ladder.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

drat, that package looks awesome. Are they really blowing this story off with Suzuki going for the belt this fast? Are they going to go full on early BC and have the whole stable dogpile Okada so Suzuki can walk out Champion? It seems from the package that the angle they want to push is LIJ, Bullet Club and Chaos have no choice but to unite to stop Suzuki, but I could also easily see them as just doing this as a one-of and going back to business as usual.

I dunno, either way I'm eager to find out what happens.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

loving tragic if true. Seeing Shibata win his first ever singles championship at WK10 was an amazing thing, even from the nosebleed section I could tell he was something really special. There aren't a lot of guys who could make plain black trunks and "The Wrestler," their gimmick, but the way he carried himself made him seem like a loving John Wick-esque hero assassin come to life. I'll keep hoping this is a work, and if its not I'll hope that he's retiring young, healthy, wealthy and satisfied that his last match is the best match of his career and he ended it on a note that will probably end up borderline mythical in years to come.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

sigmachiev posted:

Last two matches were both real good. Dominion is going to be amazing. Kenny wins or they do a broadway, calling it now.

A time limit draw at Dominion leading into Kenny winning in Long Beach would make a ton of sense. Kenny winning at Dominion and defending against Tana in Long Beach would also make a ton of sense.

I'd still really like to see Kenny defend his title against a major Japanese star in a ladder match, like we never got during his IC title feud with Tana due to that injury. I almost shelled out for an entire vacation to Osaka just to see that because the idea of a major Japanese star who'd only ever wrestled "strait," matches stepping right into an American Indy Wrestler's wheelhouse to try and beat them at their own game was so alluring. Maybe when/if he gets the IGWP we'll finally get it.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Thauros posted:

I wish they'd just do two US weekends a year instead of trying a full spinoff promotion and I.m gonna be disappointed if this whole weekend exists to put over Cody Rhodes (don't hate the guy, he's fine, but that's not who I'm paying too much money and flying cross country to see either)

What if the whole weekend exists to put over Juice Robinson or Mike Elgin?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Is that the actual bracket? If so, holy poo poo, Kenny v Naito in the semis and Juice almost certainly going to the finals, that's dope. On the other hand, I find it really hard to believe they would put Juice over either of those guys, yet also really hard to believe they would put the US belt on either of them when putting it on Juice would make a ton of sense.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Jerusalem posted:

I used to care so much about Honma :sigh:

Have we heard about Shibata's status anytime recently? I care a lot more about him being able to walk properly than anything Honma related.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Jesus, I just googles is and WWE has 585 registered employees. I had no idea New Japan was THAT much smaller of a company, forget about the level of gap in net worth. I would have never guessed it from how the company presents itself and its production values, if nothing else.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Benne posted:

The Naito/Okada story is so good, and the way you can trace it back years (whether intended or not) is legitimately amazing.

Is there a good American comp for this? I know Rock is the default answer (blue-chip babyface gets rejected by fans, goes heel, becomes more popular than ever by just being himself), but even Austin wasn't such a constant thorn in his side like Okada is here (mostly because Austin had Vince as his real money-making foil).

Crow Sting and Hollywood Hogan? Not an exact match, but the dynamics are kind of similar. Although we know it's not how it went in real life, if you just go by what's on-screen you can claim that foreshadowing of Hogan's heel turn go back as far as 94 when the crowd first started turning on him and he had a heelish edge during the Brother Brudai angle. He and Sting were portrayed as fairly close during that period, and of course the metamorphosis into Crow Sting is a direct result of the atmosphere of mistrust and anger the NWO and Hogan's turn in particular caused in the WCW locker room. Once he returns in his new form Sting makes life hell for the NWO, whether he's just haunting them or dragging X-pac into the rafters with him, and it's all about sending a message to the world that the NWO has poisoned that he's not going to accept the status quo Hogan has created, and intends to bring it down by beating him and taking his title.

Like I said, it's not a perfect parallel, especially since parts of Naito's story are in Hogan's part and others are in Sting's part, and the basic heel/face dynamic between Okada and Naito is reversed, but there's more than a few similarities.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

KungFu Grip posted:

who would want a Christmas cake after the 25th?

something something milf joke.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

I want to live in the universe Kota Ibushi inhabits for about 15 minutes.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

I got the scoopz brother. Its New Japan X Barkley: Shut Up And Jam Gaiden. The only thing that can stop the next Chaos Dunk is... CHAOS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

So the next Soul Calibur guest character is Okada!

• Locked thread