Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

fart blood posted:

Finally watched WK11, after all the hype. I haven't followed NJPW since Naito was heavyweight champion.

I got up to the main event. As it's beginning, my roommate walks into the living room.

She says "What's this?"

"This is New Japan Pro Wrestling. This is Okada vs. Kenny Omega. A lot of people are saying this might be the very best wrestling match ever. Hyperbole, but we'll see."

I'm about two minutes in, with the match beginning with that extended headlock spot.

She looks all unimpressed and says "I don't see how this is so great." Then walks away.

Gotta love casual fans.

P.S. I really loved the match.

I think I fell asleep like 3 times trying to watch the Shane Douglas/Chris Jericho/2 Cold Scorpio/Pitbull #2 match from ECW before finally watching the whole thing and being blown away

You have to be in the right mindset/not be sleepy in order to get through long matches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/MrLARIATO/status/840996660092256256

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A reminder that the Long Beach Convention Center was home to the 1992 WBF Championship

That's not a good omen

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/857972221054038016

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Can Cody just go away?

He completely sucks

He should have did a full tour with New Japan on the undercard before getting a push - he's young enough where he still has time to learn

As of right now, he's mediocre

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just watching Omega-Okada now and I already have a "lol that's not 5 stars" moment - Okada whiffs on kicking Omega in the face about 6 minutes in and Omega sells it anyway

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sigmachiev posted:

That's a stupid match but whatever, at this point I'm going so I can boo Cody. No doubt there will be a couple really good multiman matches.

It's no different than WWE putting their TOKEN FOREIGN GUY in big matches when they're touring:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeS02F3WRis

Maybe not so much anymore since WWE's roster is more diverse, but back then it happened a lot

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

I'm actually more shocked to hear Dave write that Omega/Okada is (right now at least) ahead of where Flair/Steamboat was at a comparable point in their program.

I'm pretty sure Meltzer was at one of those televised Flair/Steamboat matches and is shown on camera completely losing his mind at how great it was, too :3:

Dave rated this Flair-Steamboat house show match 6 stars that he saw in person:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub6efQnQwgo

Dave overrates things he sees in person

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How are ticket sales for Long Beach doing?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

8-bit Miniboss posted:

First run sold out quickly. People who didn't get tickets moaned. NJPW sold a 2nd round of tickets. People who didn't get tickets moaned.

Edit: Looking forward to Saturday, I got tickets for that day.

It's in the 10,000-seat Arena, right?

So this will be the biggest non-WWE event attendance-wise in the US since WCW closed?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Corbyn posted:

4.5 star Cody

What the gently caress

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

C. Everett Koop posted:

You mean to tell me Big Dave's too busy to spend time with his sons?

Nephews

:eng101:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
During the "Being the Elite" Q&A from a few days ago, Kenny mentioned some Japanese reporter who is "the Japanese Dave Meltzer" and knew all their payoffs when no one else would

Who is he?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Spuckuk posted:

Omega vs Jericho at wrestle Kingdom! Fuuuck

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Would Jericho be open to working ROH dates I wonder?

• Locked thread