Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

RealFoxy posted:

I wonder if Bullet Club will take a break for a while and come back, emphasizing Kenny Omega's comment about him wanting to take NJPW Global and becoming a more tweener faction after Suzuki Gun mop up CHAOS

I mean I only just started watching for WK11 but the commentary seemed to be hinting at a split, which would continue the nWo references I guess. Omega/Cole/Young Bucks and Fale/Page/GOD honestly feel like they should be two distinct entities in terms of the ways they act and present themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

What was up with the young boy Billy Gunn kept squaring up to?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Dangerous Person posted:

AXS is airing the main event of WK11 in a minute. I've managed to avoid seeing any of it so I'm super excited for this

They're airing it with JR on commentary, right?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Huh, $2.2 million is WWE main eventer pay and would put him level with pretty much all the top guys there bar Cena and Lesnar if Forbes can be trusted. He'd be 6th in WWE for earnings between Rollins and The Big Dog.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Apologies for the error

Yeah, it makes sense why he's still firmly in New Japan with how much he's paid. I doubt WWE would go that far for him

It makes me wonder what Nakamura was making and how much he gets for being in NXT. I think I remember hearing NJPW gave Okada a massive pay rise but Nakamura must still be NXT's top earner by a decent amount.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Venomous posted:

that reminds me, I have a friend who's going to Japan in April, and I asked them to buy me an LIJ t-shirt from the New Japan shop b/c gently caress paying the shipping costs. I fit a UK medium, but is a Japanese medium anywhere close to that, or should I get a size up or down or whatever?

I'm a UK medium but large tends to fit me better in Japan.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Any word on the Honor Rising card? I think Kevin Kelly said it'd have Adam Cole vs YOSHI-HASHI on commentary during the Osaka show.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Is Okada/Tiger Mask W not for the title, then?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

KungFu Grip posted:

Did Dave give star ratings to the Road to New Beginning show with the 3 eliminations tags?

from Reddit

quote:

Henare vs Oka 2.25

Kojima/Nagata vs. Liger/Yoshitatsu 2.75

Tenzan/Tiger vs. Iizuka/TAKA 1.5

Makabe/Honma/Shibata/Juice/KUSHIDA vs. CHAOS no rating?

Suzukigun vs. CHAOS 3.5

Tanahashi/Elgin/Taguchi/Nakanishi/Dragon vs. LIJ 3.5

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

Elgin-Naito got a fiver from Big Dave

Can't really argue with that. What'd he give Hiromu/Dragon Lee?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

rovert posted:

Meltzer says Zack Sabre Jr is starting with New Japan soon

BoSJ?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I think we have different definitions of good news, mate. (wrt Cody, ZSJ is pretty cool)

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

No commentary?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Wait, I went to the bathroom. How did Henare get hurt?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Food Court Druid posted:

I'd be fine with Cody as a secondary singles guy for BC who could credibly challenge for the NEVER or IC belts.

I'd be fine with him in their fourth string tag team with BONE SOLDIER, wrestling young lions and losing to Tencozy on the undercard.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Is there any reason Taichi is teaming with Kanemaru instead of Taka now or is mixing up tag teams in stables like that normal?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

So, I'm going to be in Japan when Sakura Genesis happens. I'll be in Hiroshima when it happens so I'm not flying up to Tokyo to see it but are there sports bars or something that'll be showing it like you get with WWE shows in the US/UK?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

harperdc posted:

there miiiiiiiiight be some kind of pro-wrestling bar you can go into, but no, probably not. Culturally it's not the same like in the US or UK.

cheers, didn't think so but thought it was worth asking. I guess I'll just watch it when I get back.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Have they had intermission yet or are they running straight through?

no intermission yet.

Why are they having these guys enter to the one theme they don't have the rights to?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Punisher Martinez is such a goofy name

I keep hearing 'Punishment' Martinez from Kevin Kelly.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Anything from this show worth watching before I start playing Horizon Zero Dawn?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Venomous posted:

Eh, if you're doing it after tomorrow, you could add in Okada/Tiger Mask W if it's any good.

speaking of which, I think it was very cheeky of NJPW's Twitter to announce this as a first time ever match and then tweet to advertise Okada/Ibushi as a free match on NJPW World.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

What was up with Sabre Jr. being listed as a member of Chaos in the opening graphic? It certainly made the ending more surprising for me.

Also, I'm pretty sure that with the exception of that match, Kanemaru has now picked up the victory in every single match that Suzuki-gun has won since they came back. Of the ones shown on NJPW World at least.

rovert posted:

I posted here a month ago ZSJ is a Heavyweight in New Japan. I don't believe that has changed. So don't count on it.

I'm not sure how privy Kevin Kelly is to future plans but he said on commentary something along the lines of "Sabre is stepping up in weight class for this match. He'll be a junior in NJPW."

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Thauros posted:

Hey there's another Korakuen tomorrow morning at the standard time of 4:30 EDT/9:30 GMT.

Card's a mystery until the show like NYD. I wonder if that means it could be a little more important than the standard Road to show or if it was simply to conceal ZSJ's allegiance? Prob more the latter sadly but only one way to find out!

it's listed on their schedule as a second night of the 45th anniversary so there might be more going on.

There's also a press conference for the New Japan Cup at 12:00 EDT/5:00 GMT with English language commentary.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Press conference is starting now.

E: Yuji Nagata is replacing Honma

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 7, 2017

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Shibata is wearing a suit without socks. Absolutely disgusting.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Sounds like they're going to do Juice/Naito soon. I hope so, I like seeing Juice do well.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Weird Hiromu didn't come out for that last segment and just got represented by his jacket and title sitting in the corner. I'd say I hope he didn't get hurt, but he looked okay running out of the ringside area after his match.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Skinty McEdger posted:

If you don't mark out when he does the whole poundshop laser claws thing in his intro then I don't know whats wrong with you. I would go to a rave with Evil.

An evil rave.

I marked out at the last show when the Evil cosplayer by the entrance also had the light up glove during his entrance.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Thauros posted:

He wouldn't have pinned Goto in a match with three CHAOS juniors one night after pinning Shibata if he wasn't going to be a heavyweight. Yes, the NEVER title is technically openweight but they'd never debut a junior that way.

have any juniors even actually challenged for that belt? Wikipedia says Masato Tanaka was the lightest champion.

rovert posted:

To be fair NJPW did a faction swerve with Zack this might be similar.

Was that deliberate then? I just assumed whoever made the graphic thought all skinny Brits were the same and mixed him up with Ospreay.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Thauros posted:

yeah, on that Yokohama Arena show that bombed in part because AJ hadn't gotten over yet. KUSHIDA also challenged Ishii during that same reign on a Taiwan show. Other than that, nothing

they do Taiwan shows? How often do they do them? I'm in Taiwan and if they come here semi-regularly I'd want to check out a show

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Cheers, I'll keep an eye on their schedule. Too bad I didn't get into NJPW sooner. I could have seen Yoshitatsu vs. BONE SOLDIER live in the flesh.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I'm pulling for Juice but a second round match up against Suzuki or Shibata doesn't bode well for his chances barring some shenanigans from the loser of the first round match. At least he should beat Yujiro.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

A Juice chant. Whatever city this is knows what's up.

Is David Finlay a junior btw? The makeup of the teams would suggest he is, but he looks around the same size as Naito, Juice and Shibata.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The undercard is done and the cup matches are about to begin if anyone's waiting on that. 2 hours in for anyone watching the show later and wanting to skip the tags.

There's an intermission so probably more like 2 hours 10

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Mar 11, 2017

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Huh, genuinely no idea who comes out of this side of the bracket now. Thought it would be Elgin for sure, then Tanahashi when he was eliminated.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

lmao at that dad trying to get his kid to do Naito's eye thing when the camera was on them.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

Tama Tonga and Tonga Roa look weird without facepaint

Tama's a really handsome guy.

Roa's finish is badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Seeing how imbalanced this match is makes it more obvious why ZSJ is in the heavyweight division.

• Locked thread