Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The only weight classes are heavyweight and super heavyweight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The belts are good.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RealFoxy posted:

It's so weird how we thought that NJPW were stupid for making Okada a champion when he debuted after being some random TNA jobber dork into a legitimate best wrestler of the last 20 years

No, just no. He's had an extremely good run but there were a lot of extremely good wrestlers going in 1997.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Venomous posted:

aye but Okada's the best wrestler in the world right now, maybe second to AJ Styles at a push, so they have a lot more going for them rn than, say, Misawa did back then

You could argue Misawa was on the decline in 97, but most would argue that Kobashi was BITW at that time and he had a decade of top tier work ahead of him, plus drawing some huge business. Then there's Michaels who was active at that time, Benoit who had a decade left before child murder, Angle yet to debut, etc.

Okada having more of a claim than any of those guys is suspect, but he has a contemporary in Tanahashi who is nearly as good as he is now and has a long track record behind him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RealFoxy posted:

I said "A legitimate best of the last 20 years" as in, one of the best of the last 20 years. Not THE best of the last 20 years

Even then hes' not even top 10. He's stacking up against Kobashi, Misawa, Kawada, Tanahashi, HBK, Angle, Mysterio, Benoit, Hijo Del Santo, Negro Casas, Danielson and some big match wrestlers like Cena and Atlantis who deserve consideration. I mean if we're putting Okada in this list we need to put AJ Styles above him as his recent track record is nearly as good and he has a much longer overall track record.

By 2020 he'll definitely be in consideration.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Captain Magic posted:

I thought the Morishima/Danielson match at Manhattan Mayhem II was
five stars?

The following Danielson matches are five stars:

vs KENTA
vs Morishima (Manhattan Mayhem)
vs Morishima (Final Battle 2008)

This is official I have ranked them.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

coconono posted:

Reminder that Misawa was still turning in A+ main events right up until his death. Okada is on that track but not there just yet. We will see how he fares as the injuries start to limit his mobility.

Misawa was not having very many good matches after 2003. He was extremely limited by the end, the KENTA match he had in ROH was almost a miracle.

Okada has had 5 excellent years. He's on track to be an all time great in ring wrestler. However if we looked at Samoa Joe in 2007 you'd think the same thing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

cams posted:

come on now, joe had those triple threats with aj styles and christopher daniels, and he had

more triple threats with aj styles and christopher daniels

Joe vs Punk, Joe vs Punk, Joe vs Punk, Joe vs Kobashi, Joe vs Danielson (maybe his second best title defense) Joe vs Low Ki, Joe vs Jay Briscoe, Joe vs KENTA vs Danielson, Joe vs Necro, Joe vs Morishima, Joe vs Angle, Joe vs Aries, Joe vs Homicide and on and on and on.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

cams posted:

i meant after 2007

i think a few of those last ones were still after that though

It took me a minute to remember all the great Joe matches so someone saying "he was always bad" seemed more likely than a sarcastic "he was still good after he died on stairs vs Sting!"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Everyone should want Kenny to win because the Wrestler of the Year arguments will be heated.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Can Cody just go away?

He completely sucks

He's pretty good.

Main event was one of the best 60 minute matches I've ever seen.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Cosmic Brain:

C. Everett Koop posted:

I hope Cody wins the strap in LA and Kenny doesn't get it :twisted:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

I'm just watching Omega-Okada now and I already have a "lol that's not 5 stars" moment - Okada whiffs on kicking Omega in the face about 6 minutes in and Omega sells it anyway

Better remove like half of the five star matches.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

excuse me but i have a bone to pick with new japan wrestling, and the spot that ruined the business from the gauntlet match: zack sabre jr. not only holding back ishii, but pushing him back as well

This is why I try to only watch CMLL where they do not insult my intelligence with unrealistic nonsense like that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Baron Corbyn posted:

loving hell I feel bad for people going to the G1 Special if the top two matches are Okada/Cody and Tanahashi/Mr. rear end

The latter owns so much.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Baron Corbyn posted:

it does, and I am very happy it is happening but if I'd bought a ticket to see the one NJPW show I could without flying to Japan from the USA, I'd kinda want at least one big match with NJPW top guys.

Cody/Okada is just plain bad.

Cody/Okada will be great.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

After watching Okada-Omega II i still think the first one was better but that was magnificent. All the shout outs to the first match were great but i preferred Omega in the first match using EVERYONES finisher and the kitchen sink. Its purely aesthetics there vs this matches story of v triggers v dropkicks.

My main nitpick that took me out was that Omega by the end had taken five rainmakers and i'm conditioned to view it as a one hit KO (or at worst three). By the third rainmaker i said to myself "by wrestling law Omega should be clinically dead." Towards the end i was shouting PIN HIM HE IS DEAD.

The protection of the One Winged Angel was brilliant.

It takes like 3 Rainmakers to put away every challenger these days.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Granted, I did. Heard about it before I watched it. That said, they telegraphed it to gently caress with the dropkick staggers in the last few minutes. Even watching it live I'd have known they were gonna do the draw by about three minutes left.

If you didn't know they were going to do a draw until 57 minutes in a 60 minute match that is pretty impressive on their part. I went in assuming draw, then when the Bullet Club came out had my mind changed, then around 50 I assumed draw again. Not sure why knowing a draw is happening is any different than knowing a guy is going to win. In the end the story is still has a great arc and to me felt satisfying at the end.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 12, 2017

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Watch Tanahashi vs Karl Anderson from The New Beginning 2013. It was my MOTY for 2013.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Price Check posted:

Anyone asking why they're not doing more inspiring Okada & Tanahashi matches in Long Beach needs to remember that the shows are already sold out.

Gotta save the big matches for their top guys for a time when they need to sell tickets.

Not just that but they are 3,000 seats. The shows are getting better than a B show card. Some of the matches we already know are fantastic.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The inverted bell curve of opinions on Kelly/Callis is pretty crazy to see.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RealFoxy posted:

Mine too, and I think it holds up to tons of the NJPW main events. Probably one of my favorite 5 matches of the last 5 years.

e: Extremely overlooked and under-rated compared to the NJPW main shows the last 6 years.

I've never seen a match where there was 0% chance of a title change that made me more sure I was going to see a title change even though I knew it was impossible.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Like the Terminator he never wins in the end.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

Singles. I assume this match is happening because Tana is literally wrestling with one arm and they wanted to give him something safe and easy before the G1 starts. He'll probably just sit in a chinlock for like 5 minutes before hitting a couple Slingblades and High Fly Flows and getting out of there.

The build for this started before he got injured. Tanahashi loves weird American style matches when he's in the US.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

It does make me wonder how much longer they can rely on using Tana near the top of the card. I know why he's still there -- living legend, loyal company man, gracefully passed the torch, can still have great matches with anyone -- but the dude is beat to poo poo, and always seems to be working through one serious injury or another over the past few years. They should probably put their foot down and force him to ease up his schedule, but I don't know if that will happen.

Wrestling.txt

They do ease up on him a bit. There have been a few tours where he barely does anything in the tags because he's banged up.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spikeguy posted:

Just caught this, loved it. Has there been any negative reactions to it from the usual grouchy ex wrestlers/wrestling reviewers? Also, i feel so worried for these two - those bumps looked super hard. Do Japanese wrestlers get more time to recover or do they just have shorter careers?

They get more time to recover as there are gaps between tours.

handsome only face posted:

they get more time to recover in that they're not wrestling 4-5 days a week every week, and when they are the multi-mans at smaller shows aren't as strenuous as singles

During a tour they are working that much.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The_Rob posted:

I don't think I could say this. Maybe at this moment they are but over all. You can't hold a candle to how consistently good AJ has been nearly his entire career in ring wise.

Kushida has been great for years and years.

Mistico and Dragon Lee both deserve to be in the discussion for the best in the world too.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I actually wonder if he'd rerate some of the Flair/Steamboat and Misawa/Kobashi higher these days

He's said they wouldn't for obvious reasons. You can't rate things out of context, although he did go back to Misawa/Kobashi and try to see how it compares in its own context.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

Has New Japan shown interest into Jeff Cobb or is he stuck because of Lucha Underground fuckery? I'm imagining him in the G1 or anything and it would be so great.

Lucha politics make it very unlikely even if they weren't overflowing with foreign talent.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Ricochet worked for LU and NJPW simultaneously I don't think it'd be an issue
The Grindhouse Wrestling Epic luckily isn't lucha, it's the direct AAA ties (or being a The Crash talent) that cause a problem. NJPW hasn't even made an attempt to book Rey Mysterio Jr for a major show. They are pretty loyal to CMLL.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
KUSHIDA is in a short list with Mistico, Dragon Lee II and Rush where I want to write up an argument they are the actual best in the world right now, but aren't in a position to show it with star ratings.

Okada's year has been so good that I don't bother.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

Which Mistico?

There is only one legal Mistico.

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

dominion made me finally become super invested in kushida, that dude is so crisp and so good at being the fiery babyface that will get pissed enough to just slug a man in the mouth. kushida/takahashi was the match i come away from feeling blown away the most. I like Okada/Omega 2 a ton, and it's a big, insanely impressive match, but the Jr. Heavyweight match was my motn, especially with the Bushi ending for the cherry on top.

I voted for him as Best Technical Wrestler the only time I ever bothered voting in the Observer Awards and felt very justified even though it was before he'd really had a chance to shine in big singles matches.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Caristico is also extremely good but Mistico is pretty obviously better so I can't make the argument for him as BITW. It's funny because I didn't really appreciate him during his peak. It was only after WWE and the fans unfairly crapped on him that I really appreciated how good he is.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Hoping Okada ends up in the goober block and drops a match to YTR setting up King of Pro Wrestling.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spermgod posted:

recent history shows they aren't going to give away a marquee match on a show that's a guaranteed sellout

Tanahashi/Nakamura and Naito/Tanahashi are pretty marquee. Neither was quite as big at that moment as they'd be before or later, but still big name matches.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Spermgod posted:

i don't remember but i don't think those shows sold out as far in advance as last years did

Given the dome show attempt in 14 they had to be supremely confident of a sellout in 15. It's G1 we might get something kind of weird name wise, or we might get two big stars, there's just no trend lately.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
YTR is gonna pin Okada and main event the September show give it to me.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The NJPW World broadcast isn't going to be JR and Barnett right? I've gotta use my VPN that night.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Baron Corbyn posted:

you can buy a normal one here.

I wonder if the company selling it now why that specific cat toy has probably just received a sudden bump in sales.

I would honestly rather listen to Kelly and Callis. JR was really bad for the Bate/Dunne match.

I have no interest in JR and cannot stand Josh Barnett. I'd rather listen to it in Japanese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Demtor posted:

I loving hate how NJPW world now puts up post match interview clips above the events. It totally spoils the outcome when you see the one wrestler celebrating with the belt while the next vid picture (right above the actual event!) shows the other being held up by two other guys. Spoilers!! WTF, Japan.

It reminds me of the time they changed the banner on the site to advertise the G1 Finals... when I had just logged in to watch the last day of the tournament. :saddowns:

Guess I'll stick to torrents.

gently caress you Japan for spoiling things that have already happened, kind of! I'm gonna steal your poo poo for that!

• Locked thread