Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I'm on board the Corn Cobb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

C. Everett Koop posted:

I want to be but I don't want to have to be owned first.

No, that's to become one.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tanahashi liked sex and was properly rewarded for it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cavauro posted:

Is Japan wrestling a shoot? aka real.

No but CMLL is. AAA sometimes is.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
"Omega is hurt by doing this thing, while he's become the third biggest star in Japan doing that thing."

Sure thing pal.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Cameo posted:

I like how Bix notes that Kenny doesn't speak the same way in English-speaking countries.

It's almost as if there's a certain point to why Kenny speaks English the way he does when he's in Japan.

And by working it into his character a bit it seems less like he's patronizing the crowd.

oatgan posted:

He also speaks Japanese though

And he uses it sometimes, but the Bullet Club leader works a bit better when he's speaking English rather than Japanese.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Sucks that with Tanahashi out we won't get the match with the top two matches facing off in tag matches that have been really good in recent years.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thauros posted:

Couldn't pull that off anyway as they don't do cross faction teams, but those owned when you could pair Okada and Nakamura up.

Tanahashi and Okada vs Naito and Switchblade wouldn't gently caress things up.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Super No Vacancy posted:

tanahashi and switchblade arent in a top match

They are in the top match.

Also this is the most interested I have been in a NJPW show in about 2 years. The Jericho stuff has been a breath of fresh air.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thauros posted:

It wouldn't other than the fact that they don't do that poo poo at all even with face factions and the first time Okada and Tanahashi team up should be on a bigger show.

Which made me think about how rare it is for unaligned heels to be in NJPW and there's two in the top three matches on this show (one freelance and one main force). The last time I remember an unaligned heel in a major singles match was the gracie stuff in 2014.

Jericho's not sticking around for more than maybe one or two more big matches at most. Jay White otoh I'm sure will join or form a faction on New Year's Dash. Where do you guys think he's most likely to end up?

The two most likely possibilies to me seem to be:

1. "Silver Lion" BC faction after a split, especially now that Kenny's being portrayed as an outright face in the Jericho feud
2. Suzuki-gun. ZSJ's only an occasional guy which leaves the old, injury prone, and limited Takashi Iizuka as the only full time heavyweight besides MiSu in the stable

With the way Gedo books I can't see Okada and Tanahashi teaming up in the main event of a major show as a major deal.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

St Evan Echoes posted:

Does New Year Dash stream live NJPW World?

Yes.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The Dome show is good because I can just watch the top 3 matches and then go to work and watch the rest when I get home/forget to watch it and just say I did.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tanahashi has a ton of charisma and fantastic psychology. The Tanahashi/Anderson match from New Beginning several years back is an absolute masterpiece as the match is perfectly structured and Tanahashi's selling and timing are so on that he makes it feel like Ken Anderson will win the title a month after he beat Okada.

He makes everything mean something, except instead of doing it with holds he does it with frog splashes and sling blades.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I guess it'd make sense for the two WK Main Event losers to feud.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

coconono posted:

oh yeah, don't expect a significant singles match out of the top tier roster guys until the dome. This is a huge chance for the younger and lower card guys to start making bids for placement in 2018 cards.

The relevant young guys in those singles matches won't even be around for most of 2018.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Fan voted MVP and MOTYC -
https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/943096196519751681

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/943094259879616512

Since this is a Japan poll super shocked Kenny won, but Hiromu beating out Tana is great

It's never great when the better man loses.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I watched Dominion later that day under the assumption it went to a draw and they almost swayed me that Omega would win. It was really something else.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Foul Fowl posted:

hopefully goto loses his hair and gets a new gimmick. because he is treading water. not even ripping off shibata's finisher was enough to make him cool.

Hopefully Goto wins because Suzuki's reign has been horrible.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The NEVER belt seems perfect for Goto as a way to get some credibility back. I wouldn't mind if Goto was the one to beat Omega once Kenny wins the belt. He's too good to keep booking like he simply cannot get the job done under any circumstances.

There's no reason for Goto to ever win the big one unless he unexpectedly catches fire as a noble failure.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Goto has great music and I always thought he should have been a bigger star than he is until I saw him in ROH a few years ago. He felt like just a guy then.

Then I saw him in ROH this year and he tried as hard as he could to take no bumps in a match with the Briscoes and I fell in love again. (He ended up taking 1)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'd give Naito the belt for six months and go to Omega because it'd probably slightly annoy Naito fans that NJPW won't make him the guy and somehow get him even more over.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I think Suzuki probably is a good first challenger for Naito cause he still has an air of being legit and a LIJ/Suzuki Gun feud will be unique. Than you go into Jericho and maybe Sanada/Evil as the New Japan Cup winner before..Ibushi and Omega.

I don't like Suzuki that much but that sounded pretty good until I realized how bad LIJ and The Goon would make it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Kitamura is going to be so over in CMLL.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

C. Everett Koop posted:

Assuming that Long Beach is a double-shot like last year, I'd go Naito/Cody to main day 1, which furthers the eventual Bullet Club breakup and sets the stage for Naito/Omega down the road, and day 2 run Omega/Ishii for the US (Ishii goes over to free Kenny for his eventual IWGP challenge) and Bucks/R3K in a ladder match for the Jr tag belts. Bucks deserve a headlining match for the work they've done, I don't think they could go vs. R3K straight up but make it a gimmick match and you could get away with it. Maybe.

It's one night.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I hope the winner shaves the loser's pubes.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Kawato is probably the better fit for having a good year in CMLL but man I wanted to will Kitamura onto Puebla shows.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
According to a tweet in Japanese they've hit 30,000 tickets sold for the Dome.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

I say this as a big Cody fan and I do believe he has a natural charisma but every time he is trying to do a Big Memorable Promo he very much comes off as a man playing a character trying to do a Big Memorable Promo, whereas Hard Times felt like something Dusty could have just been saying whenever he wanted

It was, Hard Times wasn't a particularly notable promo at the time. He did those promos all the time.

I have no idea what Cody's appeal is, but he clearly has it so I can't really deny whatever it is.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

VJeff posted:

I've heard promoters love him and he's a good locker room guy, that's gotta count for something.

It does help him get bookings but that doesn't really make fans come see you and buy your poo poo. He's actually bringing in fans on top of being liked backstage.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Bard Maddox posted:

kota ibushi is unquestionably the coolest person in wrestling and nobody even comes close

MDK.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

https://twitter.com/TIMEBOMB1105/status/945992376283119616

How can you be cheering against him at the Dome? HOW?!?!?

You want KUSHIDA to win and set up lots of great Ready Player One joke tweets.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Thanks you've managed to make me almost hate KUSHIDA!

For a second I thought "I hope he doesn't like that book" and then screamed LALALALALALALLA until I thought of literally anything else.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

schweens posted:

You could think about Okada's Rainmaker gimmick being inspired by a possible love of Reagan and trickle down economics

Naito is a sovereign citizen

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SalTheBard posted:

I'm really excited. I had about 8 people over for Dominion but for WK12 it's looking like 12 or so. I'm really excited that people I know are enjoying it!

Me: Wow are these people insane?

Me 10 years ago: Let's all have a party and stay up all night for a DREAM Dynamite show none of us give a poo poo about!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It being on a weekday really sucks cause I want to watch it live but have work the next day but my sick days reset sooooooo

"Hello work I am sick of the best wrestler in the world being champion, I will not be in tomorrow."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

feel like the last two are extremely worked answers

all those matches are happening in 2018 and he knows it

Him saying he'd want to break off from the Bullet Club rather than Cody being kicked out was interesting although not really shocking.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

It feels like he and the Bucks have been teasing leaving the BC for like 2 years.

Something about his tone made it seem like he was teasing him being against the Bucks too.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Nick and Matt try to interfere on Thursday (because no DQ) and Kenny takes them out so it stays one-on-one, leading to a turn at NYD?

It's not something I would expect for months and months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thauros posted:

they have to shoot a big angle at NYD, omega's explicitly face in his current angle, jay white needs a stable, and i don't think the goto turn is happening even tho I'd love to see it. BC split would make sense.

I could see an Elite/BC split but I can't see him breaking off from The Elite entirely this soon. Not until the All In show is at least nearing.

• Locked thread