Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

fukuoka has a rep from both new japan and dg shows of being the corpus christi of japan. reactions were p good by that standard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Jack Anderson posted:

The gently caress is "Masked Horse"?

The go home Korakuens are sponsored by the national horse racing association. charlton speculated it may be the glorious return of the captain but no one knows.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Full Korakuen cards for the Road to WK doubleshot are out. In addition to the normal dome buildup matches we'll get to see YLC matches on both nights and a NEVER trios title match.

ROAD TO TOKYO Dome
December 17th at 4:30 EDT/9:30 GMT
Korakuen Hall

YLC Match:Syota Umino [0] vs. Tetsuhiro Yagi [0]
YLC Match:Katsuya Kitamura [4] vs. Ren Narita [0]
YLC Match:Hirai Kawato [4] vs. Tomoyuki Oka [4]
Jushin Liger, Tiger Mask IV, and Henare vs. Suzuki-gun (Desperado, Kanemaru, and TAKA)
Kota Ibushi and Togi Makabe vs. Bullet Club (Yujiro and Leo Tonga)
CHAOS (Hirooki Goto, Tomohiro Ishii, and Toru Yano) vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, Takashi Iizuka, and Taichi)
Satoshi Kojima, KUSHIDA, and Masked Horse vs. Roppongi 3K
NEVER Openweight Trios Championship:L.I.J(c) (EVIL, SANADA, and BUSHI) vs. Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale and GoD)
CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada and YOSHI-HASHI) vs. L.I.J (Tetsuya Naito and Hiromu Takahashi)

ROAD TO TOKYO Dome
December 18th at 4:30 EDT/9:30 GMT
Korakuen Hall

YLC Match:Syota Umino vs. Ren Narita
YLC Match:Tomoyuki Oka vs. Tetsuhiro Yagi
YLC Match:Hirai Kawato vs. Katsuya Kitamura
KUSHIDA, Liger, TMIV, and Masked Horse vs. Suzuki-gun (Taichi, Desperado, Kanemaru, and TAKA)
Togi Makabe and Henare vs. CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii and Toru Yano)
Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale and Yujiro Takahashi) vs. L.I.J (EVIL and SANADA)
Kota Ibushi and TenCozy vs. Bullet Club (GoD and Leo Tonga)
CHAOS (Hirooki Goto and YOSHI-HASHI) vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki and Takashi Iizuka)
CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, SHO, and YOH) vs. L.I.J (Tetsuya Naito, Hiromu, and BUSHI)

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

My guess is that Masked Horse is gonna end up being Taguchi. He's teaming with mostly juniors and Taguchi's not booked under his own name.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Sucks that with Tanahashi out we won't get the match with the top two matches facing off in tag matches that have been really good in recent years.

Couldn't pull that off anyway as they don't do cross faction teams, but those owned when you could pair Okada and Nakamura up.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Tanahashi and Okada vs Naito and Switchblade wouldn't gently caress things up.

It wouldn't other than the fact that they don't do that poo poo at all even with face factions and the first time Okada and Tanahashi team up should be on a bigger show.

Which made me think about how rare it is for unaligned heels to be in NJPW and there's two in the top three matches on this show (one freelance and one main force). The last time I remember an unaligned heel in a major singles match was the gracie stuff in 2014.

Jericho's not sticking around for more than maybe one or two more big matches at most. Jay White otoh I'm sure will join or form a faction on New Year's Dash. Where do you guys think he's most likely to end up?

The two most likely possibilies to me seem to be:

1. "Silver Lion" BC faction after a split, especially now that Kenny's being portrayed as an outright face in the Jericho feud
2. Suzuki-gun. ZSJ's only an occasional guy which leaves the old, injury prone, and limited Takashi Iizuka as the only full time heavyweight besides MiSu in the stable

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

With the way Gedo books I can't see Okada and Tanahashi teaming up in the main event of a major show as a major deal.

I know modern New Japan is hardly '90s All Japan, but that would still be a cool 2nd or 3rd from the top match on like a New Beginning B show especially since neither of those guys may be in the title scene

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Jenny Angel posted:

Does Switchblade have any faction affiliation? If not, are there any other unaffiliated heels on the current NJPW roster? I might be missing some, but as far as I can tell everyone fits into CHAOS, Taguchi Japan, LIJ, Bullet Club, Suzuki-Gun, or the face remnants of of the NJPW main force that didn't get absorbed into Taguchi Japan

nope. as I was speculating I'm asssuming he gets one at New Year's Dash. the last time they had an unaligned heel was early ingobernable Naito in the main force and being a sullen dick to his partners for a couple months before LIJ began in earnest

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Tokyo Sports awards courtesy of STRIGGA:

MVP: Tetsuya Naito
Best Tag Team: Suwama & Shuji Ishikawa
Best Bout: Okada vs Omega (1/4)
Technique: Hideki Suzuki
Fighting Sprit: Katsuyori Shibata
Special Award: YAMATO
Women's GP: Io Shirai
Rookie of the year: Yuma Aoyagi

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

You want to reserve Thursday the fourth off. it'll start at about 2 AM Eastern time/11 PM Wednesday night on the west coast

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Benne posted:

I think Switchblade would get over better if, like, we knew who he was and what he actually stands for. They debuted the gimmick at Power Struggle and basically hid him since then. Maybe they're trying to protect the mystique of the character, but we know basically nothing about him heading into the Dome, which doesn't seem promising for a young talent you're immediately pushing into a marquee match against Tana.

I like Jay White, and I'm hoping he'll shock us all and have a star-making performance. But it's been a weird roll-out so far, and not something that makes me think they have confidence in the kid.

If they're re-debuting him in a match third from the top at the Dome against Hiroshi Tanahashi for a belt that's expected to headline shows they have confidence in him. It's way too early to say whether or not the confidence is well placed and there are elements of the gimmick that come off as lame and tryhard. Kinda unfair judging him too harshly based on one post match challenge segment tho.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So I’m finally having time to watch lots of NJPW (side job that allows you to watch stuff while doing the main job)...and with regards to Kitamura, he’s on PEDs, right? I mean that physique looks awesome, but that’s not legit right?

Let's just say that we factually know he was banned from amateur wrestling in 2011 after pissing hot for anabolic steroids. He may have made the 2012 Olympic team otherwise as he was a three time national champion

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/941902473970704384

best course of action as ibushi can actually win now

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Reminder that the first of the Korakuen doubleshot shows is tomorrow

ROAD TO TOKYO DOME
Korakuen Hall

Jushin Liger, Tiger Mask IV, and Henare vs. Suzuki-gun (Desperado, Kanemaru, and TAKA)
CHAOS (Hirooki Goto, Tomohiro Ishii, and Toru Yano) vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, Takashi Iizuka, and Taichi)
NEVER Openweight Trios Championship:L.I.J(c) (EVIL, SANADA, and BUSHI) vs. Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale and GoD)
CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada and YOSHI-HASHI) vs. L.I.J (Tetsuya Naito and Hiromu Takahashi)

Thauros fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 17, 2017

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

NJPW hardly does singles matches on Road to shows any time of the year anyway and are rare in the company outside of tournaments and title matches. Even on major ppvs like Sakura Genesis and King of Pro Wrestling the bottom half of the card is gonna be multiman matches.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/K0jiii/status/942311344140931072

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

ROAD TO TOKYO DOME
Korakuen Hall

[/quote]

this is on. full camera angles for the YLC is a welcome change

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

suzuki tormenting young lions is always good

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Thauros posted:

My guess is that Masked Horse is gonna end up being Taguchi. He's teaming with mostly juniors and Taguchi's not booked under his own name.

yep

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

abraham linksys posted:

sounds like today's show was sufficiently short + hype i should at least throw it on in the background, nice

man it'd be insanely dope if they had done the YLC final as like a Dome show super-undercard match, but I don't know, maybe fans would just totally reject that

Just woke up and watched the two matches I missed and yeah. Main even was super heated and didn't just feel like yet another good but interchangeable LIJ vs. CHAOS match like we've seen on every show this year and the YLC matches were fun.

It wouldn't even need to be on the Dome imo given the single block league format but I do wish the last night was in Korakuen instead of a single cam show in Shinjuku FACE.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Second half of the doubleshot is tomorrow morning

ROAD TO TOKYO DOME
December 18th at 4:30 EDT/9:30 GMT
Korakuen Hall

YLC Match:Syota Umino [2] vs. Ren Narita [0]
YLC Match:Tomoyuki Oka [4] vs. Tetsuhiro Yagi [0]
YLC Match:Hirai Kawato [6] vs. Katsuya Kitamura [6]
KUSHIDA, Liger, TMIV, and Masked Horse vs. Suzuki-gun (Taichi, Desperado, Kanemaru, and TAKA)
Togi Makabe and Henare vs. CHAOS (Tomohiro Ishii and Toru Yano)
Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale and Yujiro Takahashi) vs. L.I.J (EVIL and SANADA)
Kota Ibushi and TenCozy vs. Bullet Club (GoD and Leo Tonga)
CHAOS (Hirooki Goto and YOSHI-HASHI) vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki and Takashi Iizuka)
CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, SHO, and YOH) vs. L.I.J (Tetsuya Naito, Hiromu, and BUSHI)

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Can somebody post that video of La Sombra chilling in the ropes before the camera cuts to a pre-Tranquilo Naito going :aaa: like the secrets of the universe have just been revealed to him (which they had)?

I just crack up every time I think about it, it's like that photo series of Jared Leto seeing a coat he really likes at a fashion show.

There's the picture. I don't have video on hand but I imagine that has to be from either the World Tag League 2014 opener (November 22nd - Naito and Sombra vs. AJ Styles and Yujiro) or the first Korakuen show from Fantasticamania 2015 (January 18th - Naito, Sombra, and Taguchi vs. Nakanishi, Dorada, and Captain). I'm guessing the former as Taguchi's nowhere in sight.

Shame the former is from right before World started

Thauros fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 18, 2017

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Benne posted:

It's Hair Vs. Title, yeah

now it looks like hair vs. hair + title

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/942718882082471936

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Someone a few pages ago was talking about how they wanted a YLC tie resulting in a tiebreak at the Dome and it could happen. If Oka beats Kitamura on Thursday it'd result in a three way unbreakable tie with Kawato (assuming he beats Umino, which he will). They could do a three way Final on the Dome preshow or as an opening match.

Of course, it's entirely plausible Kitamura simply runs the table as well. But the fact that they didn't set up Kitamura vs Oka as a straight winner takes all match is making me suspicious....

LION'S GATE PROJECT 10
December 21st at 5:00 EDT/10:00 GMT
Shinjuku FACE

YLC Match:Hirai Kawato [6] vs. Shota Umino [4]
YLC Match:Tomuyuki Oka [6] vs. Katsuya Kitamura [8]
YLC Match:Tetsuhiro Yagi [0] vs. Ren Narita [0]
Hiroyoshi Tenzan and Dinosaur Takuma [K-Dojo] vs. Manabu Nakanishi and Kotaro Yoshino [K-Dojo]
Satoshi Kojima vs. Daisuke Kanehira [HEAT UP]
Yuji Nagata vs. Yuma Aoyagi [AJPW]

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

oatgan posted:

Most of Kenny's njpw run has had foreign objects and interference for drama i don't think they're worried about Jericho's tank with this stip

they really cut back on that in 2017 after Suzuki-gun's return tho. His big NJPW matches have all been pretty clean this year

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/942918033776959488

sadly I doubt we're ever gonna get subs of this one tho:

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/942862671623348224
https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/942864183187587072

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

So I assume the card is then set?

I was thinking we might get a three way Kitamura/Kawato/Oka YLC final added after thursday, but there's an article on the Japanese site that states "all cards decided"

Was on there to attempt to figure out who the show's sponsor is, and while I was unsucessful I did notice that Jericho now has a profile on the Japanese site.
http://www.njpw.co.jp/profile/62240

Thauros fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 19, 2017

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Reminder that this is tomorrow morning and will be the end of the YLC unless there's a three way tie

LION'S GATE PROJECT 10
December 21st at 5:00 EDT/10:00 GMT
Shinjuku FACE

YLC Match:Tetsuhiro Yagi [0] vs. Ren Narita [0]
YLC Match:Hirai Kawato [6] vs. Shota Umino [4]
YLC Match:Tomuyuki Oka [6] vs. Katsuya Kitamura [8]
Hiroyoshi Tenzan and Dinosaur Takuma [K-Dojo] vs. Manabu Nakanishi and Kotaro Yoshino [K-Dojo]
Satoshi Kojima vs. Daisuke Kanehira [HEAT UP]
Yuji Nagata vs. Yuma Aoyagi [AJPW]

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Kitamura runs the table to win the first YLC in 12 years

Thauros fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Dec 21, 2017

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Baron Corbyn posted:

Kitamura is heading to the USA next year.

Big mistake. Just take a glance at the ROH roster and then one at CMLL's. Which group of guys would you trust to hook you with the good stuff?
"

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

the global YouTube channel subtitled a recent hour long Okada and Gedo interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KshqyweSAiM

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I'd totally buy an EVIL Christmas cake if they made one. Get on it Bushiroad!

http://priroll.jp/shopbrand/ct1101/

Naito currently has the number one selling cake on the whole site, and they do tons of other licenses including Hello Kitty.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 24, 2017

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

official number of sold tickets last year was 26,192 for comparison's sake. 35k seems obtainable given the amount of time remaining assuming there's any walkup business at all.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

VJeff posted:

Just have the Yakuza guys make an NJPW beat em up.

a yakuza style game where you switch off between tana, okada, and naito as the playable characters would be my dream game. minoru suzuki is basically kuze from y0 anyway.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

my guess is that this year's big NYD angle is going to be a Bullet Club split, because yeah the hinting was as blatant as his Ishii answer was on that interview he did during his "hiatus"

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

It's not something I would expect for months and months.

they have to shoot a big angle at NYD, omega's explicitly face in his current angle, jay white needs a stable, and i don't think the goto turn is happening even tho I'd love to see it. BC split would make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Closing thread, have the WK one up here. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845238

Will start a new regualar thread after NYD

• Locked thread