Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Yeah Stardom world is exactly the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

SalTheBard posted:

Stardom has a streaming service too?!

Visit stardom-world.com for all your watching Kairi Hojo lose at paper-scissors-rock while dressed as Arale from Dr. Slump needs.

One could be forgiven for assuming their entire English site is the work of a particularly ambitious high schooler but it's worth the 750 a month.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Kris Wolf also gets points for being pretty much the only Stardom foreigner who can show up alongside the Japanese women without the room suddenly turning super awkward because neither side knows how to interact with the other.

I mean, it's awkward too, but it's the good, deliberate kind of awkward where she can nail the comedic timing of telling Kagetsu not to worry too hard about what "lady times" means. Kris Wolf and Oedo Tai are treasures.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
When I first got into NJPW the main way I tried to sell it to friends was to tell them it's "so good that there's a guy who always comes out dressed like Marty McFly and he's not even my favorite."

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Yeah, I have a couple Japanese shirts with the NJPW tag and they're really nice. I usually wear a US L and the XL in them fits perfectly.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Thrifting Day! posted:

Reddit is saying this is the new "IWGP European Championship" despite the fact is clearly says "Intercontinental" on it.

Everyone is in uproar at the amount of belts but nobody in the thread has pointed this out and I give up

The album that the Reddit post linked to even says "So what would you think if there WERE a European belt? This isn't a picture of one, I just found it on google and thought it might be a neat design for a hypothetical belt that nobody has said is going to exist." But really it's the poster's fault for assuming people on Reddit read anything before posting about it if there's a picture.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
It's cool that my first live NJPW experience is gonna be Kenny defending the US belt against Juice and all, but part of me was hoping that Tana/ZSJ would be Kobe's main event just so I could be the one hapless foreigner in a ZSJ shirt surrounded by a sea of GO ACE

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Gaz-L posted:

Be the only guy in the crowd wearing Juice merch.

Ew, no

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Giant Murderbaby posted:

He really is intensely hateable. Do any other wrestlers get a similar response to the "Taichi go home" chant? I imagine there are very few who do since Japanese audiences are so respectful.

Another big reason Taichi gets so much heat: The typical Japanese celebrity response to getting caught cheating on your spouse is to bawl your eyes out at a press conference that ends with you bowing deeply until people stop taking photos of how apologetic you are.

Taichi's response was to announce his intention to retire, then go back on it and return from suspension with his heels dug even harder into his flashy sleezeball womanizer character. I don't know whether that predates "Taichi go home" or not, but it doesn't make people shout it any less.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

harperdc posted:

buuuuuut you also get things like the AKB member shaving her head for the audacity of having a boyfriend, or the TV talent Becky being involved with a married singer and getting MUCH more of the heat than he ever did. Taichi's wasn't a big deal because he's not that famous but also because it wasn't another famous person involved (just a fan IIRC).

Man, the Becky thing in particular really bummed me out. She was the highest-profile half-Japanese celebrity in Japan and she got vanished into the cornfield for half a year while the dude and his lovely band rode the wave of publicity. It was just so transparent what was going on. Anyway wrestling. Naito give sexism the Destino thanks in advance.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
It started a few BTEs back when they allegedly got a cease and desist on using the catchphrase "gently caress the Revival" and now, at least storyline-wise, it's spread to "Suck it."

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

abraham linksys posted:

:'(

am i an idiot for really thinking zsj had a shot there

Probably, but I was right there with you.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
The news is a few days old at this point but I don't think I've seen it mentioned in here: Tanahashi/Elgin vs. Ibushi/Finlay has been added to Destruction in Kobe this Sunday, as well as Beretta's first heavyweight singles match against Yujiro. I bought my ticket a while back so when I heard there were changes I was bracing myself to hear Kenny wouldn't be back in time after all, but he says he's "at 100%," so hey. Either way, please, Kenny, kill Juice, not yourself

Oh also the War Machine/GoD/KES three-way is now a Tornado match, which I guess is fun but there are limits to how excited I can get with both GoD and KES involved.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Either they got Evil a new scythe or it looks realer IRL

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
gently caress that was so good

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Japanese Twitter is raking Yoshi-Hashi over the coals with such gems as "That line is way cooler coming from Tanahashi," "Being able to speak English should be a prerequisite for challenging for the US title," and "So is it in Yoshi-Hashi's contract that he gets to challenge Kenny out of nowhere, or..."

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Ayumi Nakamura being stoked that "Kaze Ni Nare" got the same sort of pop when Suzuki showed up in the US as it always gets in Japan is delightful.

https://twitter.com/ayumi_nakamura/status/912553082340311040

"This is amazing!! My manager Bambi cried when she watched this!!! It's just too moving!!! Thanks so much to the person who filmed this! What a wonderful gift!"

Suzuki's right there in her mentions with "American fans kept asking, 'who made that great song?' They actually know what 'kaze ni nare' means, too."

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 28, 2017

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Everyone talks about Hiromu and Daryl but the real NJPW social media cuties are War Machine and their adorable namesearching. Every time I've tweeted something about War Machine during an NJPW event, even without any @ or hashtag, one or both of them have faved it, usually within like forty minutes of the event ending. I just imagine Hanson and Rowe getting out of the shower and immediately hitting up their phones, gleefully high-fiving each other about how much the internet likes them.

e: Also

https://twitter.com/tanahashi1_100/status/917379970082553858

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 10, 2017

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Hanson in particular has definitely faved tweets of mine before his beard has even had a chance to dry off from his match. Normally I'd clown on people who namesearch but they're just so shameless about it that I'm kinda tempted to tweet nice things about War Machine out of the blue, like once every week and a half or so, just to say, "put 'er there, you big galoots."

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 10, 2017

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
The Japanese commentary team always goes out of their way to comment on how nice and polite War Machine are, it's fantastic.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

St Evan Echoes posted:

Wonder how Zayn will react to his heel turn inevitably getting botched :pray:

Evil! Bushi! Sanada! Hiromu! Naito! y... Generico!

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Baron Corbyn posted:

https://twitter.com/toshanshuinLA/status/918945035349086210

Can anyone in Japan confirm whether or not the Japanese press are saying ROH is the reason NJPW is so good?

This probably doesn't need saying, but: ahahahahaha no.

e: Marty, Cody, etc. have plenty of fans in Japan but this person is... really, really overestimating how they measure up to more homegrown talent in terms of popularity. Nobody here is batting much of an eye at Marty and (ROH world champion) Cody getting teamed up with the one solitary gaijin who enjoys Okada/Tanahashi/Naito levels of excitement and being sent off against a trio that includes Jado and Yoshi-Hashi at a major event. Kinda says it all.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Oct 14, 2017

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

exploded mummy posted:

so what you're saying is clearly, this man is delirious

I honestly can't think of any way a person in his position could even pose the question unless he's either delirious or speaking in kayfabe as a promoter with delusions of grandeur

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Meanwhile Minoru Suzuki is furious at him for telling people about it and making it look like Suzuki-gun cares

(just kidding, Suzuki himself recently tweeted about how he promised to deliver a kid's piggy bank to Takayama's medical fund, the big softie.)

https://twitter.com/suzuki_D_minoru/status/921696674094788608

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Osaka rules too but if you're just visiting for a short time it's probably best thought of as a base with easy access to both Kyoto and Kobe with awesome food in the meantime.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Fuji-Q Highland? I don't know about that particular park from personal experience but it looks like they'll be open throughout the New Year holidays, and since that's usually the second or third longest span of the year when people get time off, I'd expect it to be pretty crowded. Crowds should drop off on weekdays after around January 3rd, but Monday the 8th is also a holiday next year, so heads up.

This site has a calendar showing anticipated crowds for 2017. It's all in Japanese but the important parts are pretty self-explanatory; white is not particularly crowded and red is "lol why did you think this was a good idea."

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 26, 2017

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Sure. PM me or e-mail me at nineissix at gmail and I'll try to hook you up.

e: may wanna hustle if the deadline is before midnight on the night of the 28th though, since it's already about 6 PM on the 27th here.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Aesop Poprock posted:

That just seems like a bad idea in general tbh

AFAIK they're only actually selling them in Japan, where you can buy toy guns that look exactly like real guns because nobody has any real guns

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Chris James 2 posted:

Notable is Dave says Kenny's contract is up Jan 31 again "but unlike last year, there’s little talk of him leaving."

This time around he's explicitly said he won't.

The article is in Japanese but includes quotes from Kenny to the effect of, "I don't know why [the WWE] can't get it through their heads that I'm staying here... I've turned down any contact from them so many times, I guess they're sending someone to try and beat me in person... WWE wants a dick-measuring contest where they can say, 'we're the major leagues,' but that way of thinking is too black-and-white. In this world, there isn't just 'major' and 'minor' - there's Kenny Omega, who's way beyond that. I'm absolutely staying here. New Japan is where wrestlers can really be true to themselves. I want to show the world how great it is."

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
On one hand Mikey is easily the most tranquilo, but Naito is also the epitome of "cool, but rude."

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Juice is Charisma Man, gaining superpowers from being around Japanese women who don't know he's CJ Parker

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Why not both

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

VJeff posted:

Hey that bit where Naito does Destino is sick as hell qtiyd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

harperdc posted:

NJPW fighter in the Tekken engine

DO IT

I hope the entire announcement is just "we're putting Suzuki's haircut in the Tekken 7 character customizer."

• Locked thread