Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

does it autofill credit card information?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

so the way to fix this would be making autofill a two step process where it displays a dialog box asking if you want to give this list of personal facts to blah.com

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

wasn't there a brief period of time where you straight up
couldn't download the windows ISO from Microsoft?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Actually it's an RJ-45 connector port :eng101:

8P8C

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/824614107034820609

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/826197552995373057

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Jabor posted:

after that who really cares, but it's not like you're going to spend actual money on patching out drm later, since that gives you literally no benefit

besides ending the payments you're making to your DRM provider

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

CommunistPancake posted:

probably more because of the heavily integrated always online bullshit

how do you think they "heavily integrate" it, if not the "cryptographic virtual machine"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

did intel ever ship that actual rng instruction in chips you can buy

RDRND shipped in Ivy Bridge, RDSEED shipped in Broadwell.

I don't know that anyone dares use them since the output of a stream cipher is indistinguishable from an CPRNG.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

They demand access to laptops and phones from citizens if you're dark enough

or muslim enough or journalist enough

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ate all the Oreos posted:

'being moved somewhere else in memory' is position-independent code right? (the -fPIC flag in gcc) at least that seems to be required for a lot of unrelated things so it's possible it's enabled anyway...

only libraries are built with -fPIC, executables need to be built with -fPIE. so you can apply ASLR to all shared libraries with no change, but not the main executable.

a lot of the mitigations can be partially applied when you mix old and new code, which isn't great but is better than nothing.

have a fuckup:

quote:

Hi,
I using an old version of pdns recursor, and I got below message in
var/log/message

pdns_recursor[1308]: PowerDNS Security Update Mandatory: Upgrade now, see
https://doc.powerdns.com/3/security/powerdns-advisory-2016-02/

my question is how to ignore this?

regards,
bill

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Shaggar posted:

javascript is the absolute worst thing

You can do the exact same thing, easier, with Java.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

cheese-cube posted:

edit: ive been making a lot of dumb posts recently so someone please call me out if im an idiot

ok, you're an idiot! :)

modern "file-less" malware drive-by infects the machine and then never writes anything to disk at all, it relies on long uptimes and multiple machines on the network being infected to re-infect individual machines after they're rebooted and the malware instance is lost

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

32mb of esram disagrees
G-buffers

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

quick, make a bleedflare logo to compete with cloudbleed

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

rjmccall posted:

the filing says they had suspicions when he left and checked the logs when the company got bought by uber

they presumably didn't check as soon as he started talking to those other employees because why would you sue a startup for damages when you could sue Uber

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

i guess the self driving car project must have been its very own little silo because this probably wouldn't have happened if it was developed on core google infra

google has their own homebrew vcs called piper built on top of all their in house distributed computing poo poo and it has all sorts of features to prevent stuff like this from happening. it presents to the developer machine's os as a fuse filesystem, administrators can tag certain subsections of the repository as super duper trade secret confidential and flag anybody who even attempts to access it, they can also purge stuff out of the history and find out who even looked at the stuff that got purged

sounds like somebody hosed up

(n.b. i have never worked for google, this is all stuff they've crowed about in publications about their infrastructure)

did they switch to Piper because of China?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

so how many of you see cloudbleed as buttbleed?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

we had this conversation on pages 67 & 68 right before buttbleed

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

huh. that SHA-1 variant that detects collisions and just hashes it some more is interesting

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

tbf git is completely unsuited for the storage of anything besides plain text

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

we just have toll bridges and hot lanes

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

spankmeister posted:

It uses a security feature of Android, if you block screenshots that means other apps can't access the screen buffer either to potentially steal decrypted messages.

why would android even allow this at all?

alternately: anroid lol

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

doesn't matter because the bar codes they print out are very predictable and have no controls on 'em either

part of the last handful of digits is the price

only for products that have variable weights

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

oh, I thought that was a checkout scale. suddenly your point makes a whole lot more sense.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

welp, if I wanted to be a career rapist, I now know who I'd want to be my Ph.D advisor

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

just more Jacob Appelbaum stuff, this time implicating djb as a facilitator

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

we all agree that the cryptographic link between the touch sensor and the secure enclave is a good thing, right?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Truga posted:

what does it do?

interferes with your Right To Repair

also prevents TouchID MITM attacks

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

so these are all in the Safe Browsing list now, right?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Is there a blessed/reasonable method of getting a user cert for my gmail.com email address?

No.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

use your operating system's secure keychain or equivalent

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

pr0zac posted:

Firefox used to store it with strong encryption but had to change cause they got too many complaints from people losing their passwords cause users are idiots. Now they use easily reversible encryption unless you set a master password. They've never stored in plaintext afaik

I think you're confusing Firefox Sync with local password storage. afaik, the local password storage has always been unencrypted unless you set a master password.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

i dont use Firefox sync for passwords, that was an obviously bad idea

Firefox Sync used to use strong crypto which required you to pair new devices with an existing client to do the key exchange, but users were too stupid to understand the concept and thought Sync was a backup mechanism and got mad when they lost everything when they deleted all their Firefox installs

so Mozilla changed it to just derive the key from your Sync password because we can't have nice things

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

quote:

Beau du Jour found that the Siime Eye creates a WiFi internet access point whose password, by default, is "88888888." That way, anyone in range can connect to it by guessing the simple password, as he explained in a blog post published on Monday. By looking at the code of the mobile app that comes with the dildo, the researcher also found that once on the dildo's WiFi, you can access its webserver. This has a login portal, but the user is "admin" and the password is blank.

By reverse engineering the firmware, Beau du Jour found a way to get root—hacker speak for taking full control of it—and get persistence on the device, meaning that he could connect to it even outside the range of the WiFi. At that point, it was game over for the smart camera dildo.
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/camera-dildo-svakom-siime-eye-hacked-livestream

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ate all the Oreos posted:

why does a dildo have a webserver

why does a dildo have a webserver

how else are you going to get the images from the camera?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

i'm the need for sms integration in my access point

it's a standard feature on all cellular wifi boxes for some reason. presumably because it adds nothing to the cost and everybody else is doing it.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were regulatory issues or the cell providers insist on it

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I'm sure it isn't out-of-band management over SMS

based on the screenshot and my experience troubleshooting my grandmother's lovely Verizon LTE WiFi hockeypuck, it has a web interface on the local WiFi network that can be used to send and receive SMS messages. the web page that displays incoming SMS messages clearly has an XSS that can be exploited to extract information from the rest of the web interface and then exfiltrate it using the SMS sending page

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

your phone is jumping airgaps, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

there used to be a list of adjudication decisions online regarding clearances, but I can't seem to find it at the moment. in your example it would probably be listed as "person has deep and undisclosed ties to groups that have a stated goal of undermining the goverment. was not truthful about past drug use. clearance denied."

http://ogc.osd.mil/doha/industrial/2017.html

this year's crop is pretty boring so far

• Locked thread