Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Captain Foo posted:

0day poastin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
it gets better

https://twitter.com/ErrataRob/status/819740885504192512

https://twitter.com/ErrataRob/status/819741399465816064

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
my mom just replaced her washing machine that she's had for almost 20 years with a model that will likely only last a quarter of that

e: poo poo this is the security thread not the tech bubel thread, ignore me

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

quote:

The story noted that vDOS earned its proprietors more than $600,000 and was being run by two 18-year-old Israeli men who went by the hacker aliases “applej4ck” and “p1st0”. Hours after that piece ran, Israeli authorities arrested both men, and vDOS — which had been in operation for four years — was shuttered for good.
history is about to repeat itself, :byewhore: Paras Jha

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

spankmeister posted:

We already have "cyber reservists" here.
I would guess a double-digit percentage of americans would install a DARPA-designed official LOIC-type app if the new administration advocated it. Or hell, just straight up pay telecoms to install servers in their networks, it's not like they've turned down free money for doing that in the past

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

that's insipid

NSA already installs stuff at telecom facilities

and the reason to use residental/small business internet connections for attacks is to make attribution difficult, hard to do when parties are going right out and saying "install this poo poo that lets us run attacks from your connection"
serious question? does any one government department control enough resources to create a substantial ddos? I don't even know. I know there's a lot of server farms and some have taps everywhere, but what about actual traffic generation?

I'm not saying that it's necessarily smart or subtle, but as a ham-fisted way of putting pressure on someone I could kind of see the incoming administration looking at it as cyber gunboat diplomacy

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

hackbunny posted:

[*]IsBuildOlderThan20150211: false. what a weird check! it compares two static dates: the build timestamp encoded in the version number, and february 11th, 2015 (the next day). always evaluates to false, regardless of when, where and how the code is executed. very confusing
I suspect this is a check to short-circuit similar to RunningInVMAndApplicationOlderThan5Days to prevent 'dev' builds (built after the hard-coded feb 2015 date) executing automatically. It's a way to pin auto-execution to only code that has (presumably) been tested to work in the build-test vm framework and prevent auto-execution for newer code, though it's a really wacky way it do it. I could see doing it this way if you have some sort of framework that you use for both development of new features and testing of the operation of mature ones, and your build system inserts that date into the code based on last tested-good configuration (or you alter it manually).

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 24, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

the point is that previous ruling was the only reason patriated data centers mattered. if you have a legal requirement to store data domestically, you had the option of using local data centers even if they were being managed by an american company, because at least legally speaking the us couldn't just subpoena all your data across national boundaries.

ms specifically built a bunch of canadian DCs so that they could bid on a shared services contract for the federal government. whoops, that's out the window now.
there was a lot of hand-wringing and discussion @ SAP when I still worked there, specifically with supporting HANA and some other products sold to the german government. contract required everything to be local, including all support staff, and no data was supposed to cross borders. This played havoc with a modern-day IT support infrastructure, where we had centralized management (in the USA!) for a dozen DCs around the world, plus tier-1 in bangalore, etc. It got ugly and gradually escalated upwards and legal got involved and finally we ended up making an exception for the germans while simultaneously vowing never to enter into another contract like it.

i'm sure the groaning will start because it's still deployed (but not managed!) by american staff and that access tunnel potentially means the feds will have legal avenues to grab data

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

geonetix posted:

Best advice? Got big German clients? Make sure you're doing what you've said you were doing ;-).
my takeaway was to keep your cloud away from zee germans, it cannot be profitable and you will regret it

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
they really made some huge opsec mistakes, they only made see-through mesh pockets after one of their guys got popped?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I was paranoid and factory reset my phone and then installed a vpn when I went to china. didn't really matter since they didn't allow google anyway, I hardly used my phone at all on the trip

e: should probably mention i also went into tibet including some of the militarized areas so it wasn't totally unfounded paranoia

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

power botton posted:

the weakest part of AD is all the servers and desktops storing kerberos tickets and hashes in memory to get retrieved with mimikatz et al, but MS keeps adding new features to minimize that. the chance of your average Fortune 500/1000 enabling them is nonexistent but hey.

the adsecurity.org guy cares way too much about AD security and has easy to read and well cited articles if you want to read more.
imo the weakest part of AD is how easy it lets you shoot yourself in the security foot, like for example making domain-wide admin service accounts that have access to everything, never expire, and never require password changes

there's no fixing stupid, but you could at least give a warning / confirmation popup

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

theres no reason to wait until it compiles to commit if you have a reason to commit. the CI system will only spit out compiled artifacts so it doesn't matter if a build breaks cause you should be using the last successfully built artifact instead of the source for the artifact.
you're assuming CI is only used for spitting out artifacts, which is really limiting what a good setup can do. I have it so if a dev tags one of their branches the CI will pick it up and run it's tests for them, so they can repeatedly run different tests on feature branches in their own sandbox ahead of time to know before even creating the pull request into dev if it'll pass. it doesn't auto-test on every feature branch commit, only on main commits to the dev branch (which no one should ever commit anything directly to unless your group is tiny)

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
troy hunt could make some serious money by setting up a watchdog notification service for businesses to sign up to, for a small yearly fee

dude prolly doesn't need any more cash though, he's already got a massive house on the aus gold coast

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

if a dev is running their own feature branch who cares if they break the build? they're the only ones working in it.
if you don't do it that way, you need the CI as a gatekeeper to prevent garbage making it's way directly into the dev branch and also for testing the feature->dev pull requests regardless

also good and related: make sure you don't just lint and do basic CI, better check for passwords as well because devs "whoops" them from their private code into dev all the loving time

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 21, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

iu guess I don't really see the problem w/ broken builds getting into the CI system since either
A) The non-compiling code is critical for moving forward in which case it has to be fixed and building the code before it was checked in is pointless
B) The non-compiling code is not critical for moving forward in which case we use the last compiled build

idk maybe none of my projects are hugely monolithic like that.
its fine with small groups but balloons into a huge problem when you have people basing new feature branches off of HEAD that's pre-broken and when they test their poo poo for the first time and it's broken and they spend an hour tracking down the code only to find out it was actually a coworker all along

best case it becomes a joke, worst case egos get involved and the knives come out

mostly it's managed by a mutual understanding of what being in a particular branch means, if you work with ppl who know there may be broken builds, that's fine for your org. but we work on a sprint where a release branch is branched off dev on a specific day and time, not necessarily by the people committing code, and they need to know it's at least in a mostly-functional state so they can start doing integration/acceptance testing

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 21, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
i do have to admit using the build servers themselves to generate bitcoins is a spark of genius, since in a lot of cases part of the build process is to pull poo poo all over from random places on the internet (hello, maven) so outgoing firewalls are often already open to the build slaves

the next step is obviously combing for :8080 jenkins and non-github stuff that's open facing so you can do the same thing with them. there are lots and lots of CI systems open to the internet out there

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

If your builds are so large that minor changes in one branch break productivity for everyone your design is probably pretty heinous. also its infinitely more likely that the junior dev will horde his code because the CI keeps rejecting him and then he puts in a slew of changes that have hardcoded garbage to pass tests but that breaks everything in runtime. now you've been building your own stuff against his broken code for weeks cause you've trusted the CI server to gate things for you.
reports are that this is exactly how the microsoft windows codebase is run

any junior dev that does an end-run around the testing system deliberately, well, that's not a dev thats around for very long. plus, you know, code review, right? collaboration?

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 21, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

sure but one real great way to trigger an out of band code review is a check in that doesn't build. lots of jr devs aren't gonna ask for help cause they're just out of college and they dont understand that they didn't learn anything there. now you're creating a build environment that's hostile to them and they're gonna fall back on the bad habits their profs taught them. A jr dev dodging tests in order to get code to compile is to be expected of a jr dev because they don't understand why tests are important yet.

I like failing builds as a mechanism to detect struggling devs who aren't asking for help. Also I want code in the repo even if its not finished. The last thing I want is code sitting on a laptop that hasn't been checked in in days because its not "perfect".
and that's part of why we have a mostly separate and stable dev and only-test-when-you-want feature branches and never deny / rollback direct commits, i can see using failing builds as a barometer but that's untenable in the long run or with larger groups; designing a substandard system because you're assuming people are going to otherwise cheat it is no way to go through life

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
e: nm, moved to politics security thread

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 21, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
+++ATH0 just in case

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I would buy a consolidator for fobs from aliexpress instantly

like, this http://www.wexinc.com/wex-corporate/the-rise-of-the-all-in-one-card-consolidator/ but for fobs, even if it was just HID or something i have four of the loving things

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Truga posted:

the s in iot stands for security

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

apseudonym posted:

Judging by the Android section this is pretty old stuff

https://twitter.com/matthew_d_green/status/839161256061857792

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
there's definitely a theme but VA paid a college intern

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

ate all the Oreos posted:

the real trick is to only do it to moderate to poor people, obvs
fixed because rich people hire rich lawyers and sometimes (horror of horrors) can get someone to call their boss directly and apply political pressure

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
armchair lawyers (but with actual law degrees) are less optimistic about his chances. because it's the internet, of course people piled on

https://twitter.com/kurteichenwald/status/842754912249434112

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

anthonypants posted:

"his wife" immediately jumped on twitter after the gif was sent to tell the person who sent the gif that he was having a seizure

here's an article with more background on this guy
not gonna read all that, but if you're implying his wife didn't do that, it'll definitely come out in court

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 18, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
"when techies have smartphones they surf like this, but when blue collar workers have smartphones they surf like THIS"

but with arbitrary encrypted traffic, a dozen data points and fairly reliable accuracy. three cheers for metadata!

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1701/1701.00220.pdf

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
it's already dead! please, someone call him off!!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
https://twitter.com/thegrugq/status/845972521761624065

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

OSI bean dip posted:

oh boy i cannot wait for the recommendations for a vpn service coming down the pipe

:allears:
where's that top 10 "most vpns have malware / tracking" chart from the study

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Progressive JPEG posted:

I'll be the city limits reaching out to all the reservoirs:

i'll be the conspicuous hole at the combination golf course, park, and expensive suburb

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
today's a good day for fuckups. how would you like an over the air PoC against samsung tvs that survives factory resets? war driving's back, baby!

https://arstechnica.com/security/2017/03/smart-tv-hack-embeds-attack-code-into-broadcast-signal-no-access-required/

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
well, it's new to me

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

cheese-cube posted:

i do all my hacking from the most weird domains, ones that would be extremely awkward for a prosecutor to read out

they'll never find me because I come from IIIlllIIlIliiilillIlllIlll.com

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
people who believe that binding common, fingerprintable daemons to non-standard ports improves security are dumb and so are the security mandates they create

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 19, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i am shocked, truly, that the developers aren't completely in a vacuum from researchers

e: it is very telling that even in a worm of this magnitude the most effective research is being done in public and unpaid

https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/863425539616284673
https://twitter.com/blakehounshell/status/848139529697546241

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

They claim it was an "unprecedented database corruption event" but how the hell it sat for so long and why they weren't able to restore within a day of the failure is a mystery to me
I'll take "You try to restore the DB from backups and it turns out the backups were bad ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" for $100, Alex

• Locked thread