Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Phone posted:

you actually just quarantined the bad discussion, so like the malposts are technically still infecting your system. with this new form of shitposting, you can't take an anti virus approach to these sorts of things and flattening and reinstalling doesn't work.

BadPOST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zdTSaPs4U8

crosspostin' from yosmas thread because it's highly relevant

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Welp

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Probably just a random guess. VMware/Hyper-V defaults the OS disk to 40-50gb and encourages you to split that in to other disks for data vols so they can be tiered differently, apply ssd caching, whatever. It's a pretty good giveaway for a VM and potentially an analysis sandbox, especially if you are checking for the disk size and not the volume size since I don't think you can get anything smaller than 60gb ssd's in a normal desktop these days.

As for overhead for thin provisioning, you get a little bit of a write penalty as the virtual disk inflates and writes to new blocks (typically allocated in chunks of a couple MB) but there's not a lot of scenarios where this will have quantifiable impact in most use cases

i've run into garbage-tier craptops from major brands with celerons, windows 10, and 32gb emmc for storage

yes lady your computer is running slowly. yes i know you just bought it. no there is nothing we can do about it.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

a redditor posted:

Shhhhh... I'm an engineer for a digital billboard company. Billboards are 100% not hackable. It's all just still images / animations / video files loaded into a playlist. So don't spoil the magic for people who want to believe this is real. If any changes were needed to be made, it would be done off site and saved as a flat image file. It would take too much time for the usually cheap rear end PC in the sign to render a Photoshop or .Ai file every time the sign changes.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

50% of drivers for special-purpose printers are a trash fire

gently caress Zebra

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Jabor posted:

should have bounced through internic instead, then they could have gone back and deleted the logs afterwards
hee

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

OSI bean dip posted:

https://np.reddit.com/r/homeautomation/comments/5xa0h1/ring_pro_doorbell_calling_china/deh3gsz/

This is not a non-routable address (106.13.0.0). This is 106.12.0.0/15 owned by Baidu.
code:
    % Information related to '106.12.0.0 - 106.13.255.255'

inetnum:        106.12.0.0 - 106.13.255.255

netname:        Baidu

descr:          Beijing Baidu Netcom Science and Technology Co., Ltd.

descr:          Baidu Plaza, No.10, Shangdi 10th street,

descr:          Haidian District Beijing,100080
UDP is a protocol no one uses? Do you mean port 1 (tcpmux)? What exactly happened to your end point (the other host) and why aren't packets just continuing to be sent there, even if they are disregarded on that side?

and

are mutually exclusive statements.

How does a non-routable address make "somewhere across the world" so an "ISP [can] deal with blocking"?

Edit #2

It has now been confirmed by two users that Ring is using a fixed source port, destination, and destination port. This means that Ring is effectively poking a UDP NAT hole that would allow return traffic to traverse the NAT gateway and reach the Ring.

Protocol: UDP

Static source port: 51506

Static destination: 106.13.0.0

Static destination port: 1

In a very theoretical scenario, let's say this transmits periodically (which it does), then this would keep open a NAT translation on your edge router and many common NAT devices will use the same OUTSIDE source port if it isn't already in in use for translation.

Traffic sourced from 106.13.0.0:1 and destined for yourip:51506 would reach the Ring device. Let's now pretend the Ring has a backdoored firmware that is simply waiting for a UDP packet to show up and provide an IP for the next command and control channel. In theory, it would only require 2^32 packets to hit every host on the Internet. You can now simply spray every host with one packet and wait to see who shows up.

I'm going to assume this isn't a backdoored firmware, but it very easily could be and the attack vector looks plausible.

Matt, I think you need to provide a little more information. This isn't adding up.
[/quote]

Holy poo poo

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/FakeUnicode/status/848836903860289536

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Truga posted:

i mean, i'm all for people not clicking on random popups, but how do you propose a browser implement a new feature like this?

make it so that if you log into an http page despite the warning the computer shuts itself off

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Mr.Radar posted:

"EFL," tizen's native ui toolkit (borrowed from the enlightenment wm of all places, and, yes, samsung employs the author of enlightenment to work on tizen).

What the gently caress

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

if they're anything like the ATI sirens in San Francisco, they're controlled via (optionally encrypted) FSK via a city radio, on whatever system the city uses for comms

if they're not, they're probably controlled with unencrypted telnet or some poo poo

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Shaggar posted:

are there any mechanisms for padding out data that's encrypted to prevent this kind of thing?

THE WORLD WONDERS

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

someone make a certificate thread so that the infosec people who actually know poo poo can go on for 40 pages about tls and i can read about interesting security fuckups in this one

spankmeister posted:

Guys, I'm looking for that article on eavesdropping on microwave links with satellites. I think I was posted in this thread recently but I went back like 20 pages and couldn't find it. I'd appreciate a repost tia.

i think i posted it in the infosec thread when they were talking about sigint

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquacade_(satellite)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

quote:

AGAs have recently been criticised for their high energy consumption and inefficiency.[2] A small, traditional two-oven AGA running on gas will use approximately 425 kWh per week (22,100 kWh per year; perhaps half that if switched off during the summer months). The average standard gas oven and hob uses 580 kWh during a year, only 2.62% of the AGA's consumption.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

if you lie to the carrier about what device it is, maybe. you need a certified device to get on their network

for sprint or verizon, sure

this is GSM

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

akadajet posted:

I thought their job was to collect signals intelligence and to break encryption.

their job is to perform the duties and complete the tasks set out for them by the united states national security agency

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

please do not dox my lan

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

ohgodwhat posted:

And I don't believe they need that information anyway. They have what they need, the audio signal, from the device plugged into the headphones.

having that audio signal sent to the cell phone and back would destroy the noise canceling function of the headphones because of the latency

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

they don't have to send it back, just send a copy to the device for processing. song recognition is a solved problem, especially if you have a high-quality stream

?????

ohgodwhat was talking about the external signal used as the source to invert for noise cancellation being sent to the phone and then bose

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

wait seriously

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunfire_locator#Public_safety

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

A Pinball Wizard posted:

the tweet that started all this was claiming that yes they absolutely do do it

pretty sure the tweet was saying that their app that goes with the headphones (and is a music player?) was phoning home with telemetry about what they're playing, though I might be misremembering

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

MononcQc posted:

Tinfoil hatters worry about RFID chips tire manufacturers embed in there to track their inventory since they could also be used there.

time to get a bigger microwave i guess

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

doesn't help that i gravitate to cpu-bound games

You know dwarf fortress has its own built-in recorder right

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

can barely tell what thread this is due to all the fascinating llvm optimization chit chat but here's something i'll post completely blindly and hope is relevant or interesting

https://twitter.com/FioraAeterna/status/855445075341398017

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

someone recycled a pair of LTE routers that they'd apparently tried to pry either open or out of something with a crowbar, unsuccessfully. they're busted up but they still work. one has a paper logo taped on it that says "Pantry Connectivity Box"

each one has a verizon sim and an at&t backup sim in the slots

the routers do not have GSM modems or AT&T support, but the verizon sims are still active

how much of a security fuckup is this

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

fishmech posted:

well you could potentially run up a bunch of data overage charges on those accounts, but otherwise it's not going to tell you much. maybe the router's configuration will tell you a little about any vpn or internal network routing they used, but they could also just be used as normal routers

wonder how illegal it is to use them for low-bandwidth sneaky things

wonder how well companies keep tabs on their M2M accounts

wonder if they can get the modem's (A)GPS position from verizon

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

They seem to have loaded all their routers with at&t backup sims that can't actually be used so I'm thinking maybe they're not actually on top of it

If I do use these routers it'll probably be after I switch to Google fi and can get a bunch of data sims tied into my account

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

fishmech posted:

here's my suggestion: rig up a solar panel/battery solution to connect them to, deposit them in the middle of a desert next time you're out there, that you know has appropriate carrier coverage, and maybe attach some small device to make sure a heartbeat signal goes out for as long as the devices can get signal and power. see how long it takes for them to be too damaged by weathering to maintain a connection. buy your own cheap prepaid sims to do this instead with the beat up routers and toss the existing cards because those can totally be tracked. i think that'd be neat.

literally 100% my entire plan already

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

do the routers have an at command terminal? no harm in checking if they're registered (at+creg)

i factory reset both of em already and don't remember a facility for that :shrug:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

god drat

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

oh no my favorite robot :(

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

this reminded me that there literally is a [honeypot] subreddit for fake id stufd

there's also a DIY high explosives community on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brliT0t8NOM

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

funny Star Wars parody posted:

this is going to justify a lot of AMD fanboy's terrible opinions

isn't ryzen currently ahead in performance per cost

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

not for the past few years pre-ryzen really, and still not for video cards iirc

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

infernal machines posted:

the article linked last page specifically says it's a vulnerability in the AMT/ME firmware. if your platform doesn't ship with AMT/ME support there is nowhere for that firmware to exist. feature compatibility on ME enabled CPUs does not make the firmware appear on the platform

tl;dr: consumer boards are not affected. enterprise systems should have sccm or similar in place to deploy ME firmware patches as they're made available.

it's bad. it's not the intel apocalypse. "every intel box made in the last 8 years is vulnerable" is not just hyperbole, it's completely inaccurate

right, so every single thinkpad and

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

im glad that Gamers and people dumb enough to buy a celeron netbook with a 32gb sd card for storage, at least, will be able to escape the upcoming catastrophe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

fishmech posted:

ok moron: here's what you're not getting. "non consumer" boards are in a lot of "consumer" pcs, because a lot of "consumers" are buying higher end boards meant for environments where the management engine is supported

most likely it'll be a certain kind of gamer idiot who thinks buying workstation/server stuff is needed for games, and then a bunch of people using machines that used to work machines and were actively managed int heir former environment using the management engine functionality.

so basically, anyone with a high-quality laptop

• Locked thread