Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Migishu posted:

Security Fuckup Megathread - v13.0.1 - looks like them secfuck boys are at it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

whoever was complaining about signal's egypt approach earlier:

https://twitter.com/whispersystems/status/817062093094604800

That was me, and I'm gonna stand by that with skill its not impossible to catch using things like timing and sizes and such signals, I worked with people who built tools for this kind of stuff (and sold them to lovely human being :smith:) and I hosed a lot of lovely tor stealth projects that tried to mask as other things.

Thankfully Egypt blows and hasn't blown the money on people who can :toot:

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

spankmeister posted:

Yeah but can you do all that on a national scale?

Sure, why wouldn't you? The information you get at a national scale makes it easier to spot outliers.

But y'know, :effort: and :10bux:

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

ate all the Oreos posted:

wanna talk about how to not broadcast traceable signals if you know about it?

I might drunk effort post it later but it depends the scale and skill of your attacker. If you're trying to hide from the spooky level country/worldwide stuff I don't have a good tip except "don't".

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

pr0zac posted:

gonna just quote myself on twitter here then go rock climbing instead of arguing cause the people who want to assume facebook is mustache twirlingly evil will never be convinced otherwise

https://twitter.com/pr0zac/status/819917881899155456

The security community is dumb and people running around shouting "WhatsApp can't read your messages even if they want to" was dumb and primed this freakout. People thinking it's a backdoor and not an obvious feature (omg I switched phones and didn't get your messages :() are just silly.

End to end doesn't mean you don't have to trust the people building your messaging app, but it seems like a lot of people missed that.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Ah yes, the good ol' "I don't trust my OS but somehow don't think Im completely hosed"

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

I knew we were missing someone in this security bingo.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

I got another recruiter email from Uber, at least this one got closer to what I actually do.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Play stupid games win stupid prizes

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Jabor posted:

Pretty sure no-one thinks this is a good fix for the issue, but if the developer thinks they've addressed it sufficiently then it makes sense to release the details so everyone else can make up their mind about it.

I mean, what's the alternative? Say "we don't think your fix is good enough" followed by ... releasing the details after 90 days because the developer is happy with their solution and hasn't done anything more?

This is correct.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

redleader posted:

have there been any reports of malware taking advantage of av vulnerabilities?

I've heard rumblings.

AV and security products make great targets because they're highly privileged low quality code. They're absolutely perfect targets if you're doing something targeted and want to be sneaky.

If I wanted to get on your network all sneaky like I'd go for security boxes you've got (firewalls, AV boxes, MitM boxes, etc) first.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I doubt AV RCEs are going to be a serious risk for home/personal computers. There's enough fragmentation in the market that you're not going to get consistent payload deployment like going after the OS/browser/plugin trifecta and releasing an exploit through spam or ad channels is going to get it picked up on by the vendors quickly and a hotfix is going to get thrown in to their update channel and distributed to virtually all the endpoints inside a day or two. That's a whole lot of effort developing the payload for an RCE only to immediately bring yourself under heavy scrutiny and have your ingress cut off and your payload wiped in the next definition push. Government and corps should definitely be concerned since it will be worth the attacker's effort and the limiting targeting means you're more likely to go completely unnoticed and keep a permanent presence on their network.

Fragmentation makes it less effective but OSes are improving greatly and AV is not, it's only going to get worse. The cost of a chrome exploit is less than an exploit in some lovely AV that injects stuff into chrome.

Then again if you're going for maximum machine count you just ignore personal devices all together and make a botnet of lovely iot devices.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

This doesn't look retarded enough to be real

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

don't say retarded

:shrug:

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

OSI bean dip posted:

i have a grey that doesn't get why teamviewer is idiotic

yes. let's have a third party service provide access to my desktop because it's secured by 2fa

I dont understand how that thread is so good at bringing out weird views on security.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Winkle-Daddy posted:

E: ^^^ I was like you once before. Then I learned I was being stupid. :/

MitM SSL strip isn't just about security, it's also about liability. In that regard it does what it needs to.

I think F5 is one of the companies to stay away from. We reported some tls issues to them and they were huge cocks about how they know what they're doing (despite providing a poc exploit).

We're working on our ssl decryption project now so I've been indulged in business meetings where it's made clear security is secondary to appeasing lawyers. But our biggest concern at the moment is industrial espionage.

Because MiTMing stops someone from exfiltrating all your secrets off your network

MiTMs remain a bad idea.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Winkle-Daddy posted:

can you give some examples? our research team had fun with some endpoints protection stuff recently and I'd love to throw them some suggestions of things to look at next

The security appliances are in an even worse state than endpoint security, I've never gotten my hands on one that wasn't laughably bad.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

What did I just read?

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

pr0zac posted:

how does this thread have 90 pages of discussion i am so loving confused

D&D

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

James Baud posted:

My theory goes: "indistinguishable from regular behavior" (as you do get occasional PIN prompts despite fingerprint), but I'm basing that on how the Nexus 5x and Pixel work, dunno about other phones.

Generally I'm not convinced there are many situations where they'll just go "darn, foiled by this clever nerd" and not just make your life rather unpleasant.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

hackbunny posted:

why would they do that?

why would that happen?

Why would they not, they can assume that you were using duress mode if they dont like you and treat you accordingly. I don't think duress modes actually work in practice, the claim that they'd help you against a repressive government sounds like a good way to get a dissident murdered.

infernal machines posted:

also in the news: you don't have to provide us with your decrytion key, but we will hold you in jail indefinitely until you give us your unencrypted data so we can build a case against you.

you're being held for contempt, because the court ordered you to hand over in-the-clear data to investigators, but you haven't actually been charged with a crime.

I mean, yeah? That's been the legal precedent and its not like they're going to say "darn, foiled by this clever nerd" when you refuse to provide them access.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

hackbunny posted:

but he did foil them? they can't write anywhere that he's a pedophile. it's not a small victory for a pedophile that was caught
I wouldn't call being held in contempt of court until he provides access winning. :shrug:

quote:

why do people have to turn instantly dumb and resort to absolutes when certain topics are discussed. no consideration of risk, reward, precedent, just straight to the scenario where they beat you for the password (which is trivial to solve btw: just don't know the password). why the hell would they do that?! (answer: because the solution is too much work and you'd just throw your hands up and pretend it's unsolvable)

you desperately want to frame the border police poo poo, how about this: the usa is now the kind of country with an asterisk next to it in international travelers guides

There's always been countries where this kind of poo poo was possible and this has been on the minds of people for a while(and CBP has been lovely for a loving while) its not a new thing. We're being 'dumb' because when you're building security features you have to make sure that they actually provide the properties you are promising your users. Promising security you cant deliver, especially against a repressive regime is unethical as gently caress.

I don't think any of these duress features have been properly thought through in any of the considerations you listed. Your adversary doesn't care if you don't know your password or if you wont share it, this isn't some sovereign citizen poo poo where you say some magic gotcha and they shrug and give up, they want the access and dont give a gently caress about excuses and if they think you're lying they can be pretty lovely to you.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Meat Beat Agent posted:

car go bep bep quote this if you agree

Sorry I'm in a lovely argumentative mood

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

This made me very sad, thanks thread!

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

I would have accepted "most Security Experts suck rear end at building real things" as a response instead of "OMG NSA".

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

"Terminating TLS is smart and wont blow up in our face!"

:smug:

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Lol

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

To my dear nephew.
-(nintendosign)

I would break TZ for this shirt

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

It's probably because the NSA won't give the FBI any more exploits if they get burned all the time. At the moment they are prosecuting more cases they are having to drop with this exploit so it seems to be a sensible move if they feel it means more paedophiles end up in jail overall

In other news wikileaks have dumped a bunch of CIA docs and tools
https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/

The internet of poo poo is not just for botnets and injecting ads!

Judging by the Android section this is pretty old stuff

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

OSI bean dip posted:

how old? i imagine that there is a lot of android 2.x use out there

https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html not really.

Given that they don't even mention anything newer than KK in any way maybe 2-3 years at best, all the devices they reference are also at least that old.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Volmarias posted:

To play devil's advocate, this is only the numbers for devices that still contact the play store (iirc). All the garbage Chinese spin-offs that don't come with Google preloaded, or where the user isn't signed into a Google account (I ran into someone with a G1 a couple years back who never signed into a Google account on the device, and didn't realize that there was an app ecosystem) won't be counted in these numbers.

It's a good graph for deciding what minimum API to support for your Dildo Auctioning app but less useful if you're a TLA.

If you're a TLA it depends on your targets, you're still going to be needing to attack flagships.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Pryor on Fire posted:

holy loving poo poo

I'm just gonna move my entire loving life offline, gently caress this noise

Finally posting quality will improve.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Volmarias posted:

Sure, but the point was that the graph isn't necessarily representative of the actual demographics of Android in the world.

Given the number of devices that go into it it's still pretty representative overall outside of China.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Volmarias posted:

So, having not actually read the source material, and not wanting to read the possibly hyperbolic wikileaks writeup, is there anything in the recent CIA leak which is particularly unexpected? It seems like "no" since normally I'd be reading all about it here with :rip: smilies etc if there was.

No

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

This is a better answer than mine

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Plorkyeran posted:

there's iOS 9 exploits in the dump so it can't all be that old

The dates don't seem consistent at all, the Android section is definitely mostly written before L shipped (it mentions some upcoming stuff in L in future tense)

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

ya abusing captive portals is in the cia's docs where they outline that the https cert for captive.apple.com is a big pain in the rear end and they'd never be able to source it

hopefully firefox isn't just plain http as cheese-cube says

Captive portals are garbage so you have to test http if you plan to send anything plaintext, since they may let HTTPS through unmolested but then gently caress up HTTP. Pretty much everyone does this but usually only when you move networks or if something looks particularly off.

Captive portals are a fuckup.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

:jerkbag: oh hey its the snapchap poo poo again

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

pseudorandom name posted:

why would android even allow this at all?

alternately: anroid lol

Because that's not what FLAG_SECURE is protecting against (because apps reading other apps windows is stupid Windows level poo poo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

didn't it used to be possible to overlay a transparent window over the active one and read back the composited result of your "own" window? I remember us stumbling across something like that when building the messenger chat heads, but I could be misremembering. maybe it was the opposite direction (main window could read chat heads).

Not content AFAIK, but you can abuse SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW to snag taps or mask UI but pass through taps.

• Locked thread