Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

OSI bean dip posted:

r/netsec proves to be the best place to see painful discussions on password managers

https://www.reddit.com/r/netsec/comments/5mahfl/1password_is_still_using_full_dropbox_access_to/

yes. jailbreak your device to fix a problem with 1password's innocuous copy and paste method

doesn't apple already have some kind of secure clipboard feature for safely holding sensitive data anyways? i could swear I saw something like that in a wwdc video once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Segmentation Fault posted:

lol if you think apple isn't doing the same telemetry on their end too

they do some product improvement telemetry (less than windows afaik) but you get a real (once again afaik) choice to opt out. it's one of the setup-on-first-login questions, you can change the setting later if you change your mind, and they do not ever change the setting for you

e: none of which addresses whether one should trust apple to not collect other poo poo invisibly, but apple is deffo less user hostile in their approach to this, especially for individual home users.

BobHoward fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 14, 2017

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Chalks posted:

Also somehow notifying them without utilising power...

notifications can be negative, i.e. thing stops responding to pings

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

anthonypants posted:

yes, you need rm -f to get rid of the directories otherwise it will complain about there being directories. -r deletes files in subdirectories but will still complain about, like, /usr being a directory

no, it will not

$ mkdir asdf
$ rm asdf
rm: asdf: is a directory
$ rm -f asdf
rm: asdf: is a directory
$ mkdir asdf/asdf2
$ rm -r asdf
$ ls asdf
ls: asdf: No such file or directory

-f means 'force', ie never ask for confirmation even when deleting read-only things
-r makes rm recursively delete things, including directories. without -r, rm will never delete a directory, not even if you specify -f.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

infernal machines posted:

atomicthumbs posted:

printers are a trash fire

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Powaqoatse posted:

i had to help my sister with a thing a week ago & used teamviewer :ohdear:

it was just an app she opened and then closed and deleted after, i dont think she even has admin rights on her macbook

did i gently caress up bigtime?

if you were also using a mac and you both have iMessage set up, you can just open messages.app, select a convo with her, click something (her name I think, don't have it in front of me ATM) in upper right area of the window, and request to view her screen. after the connection is established the person on the being-viewed end can opt to give the viewer remote control (via the blinking icon in the menu bar which tells you your screen is being viewed). this connection also gives you voice chat

you are excused for not knowing about any of this because apple hides it behind a non intuitive interface in a place where you might not expect it. it's a nice built in tech support tool once you know about it

oh and afaik aside from the startup requests going through iMessage it's all peer to peer. underlying screen sharing is vnc protocol over an encrypted channel or something like that.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

minivanmegafun posted:

can a sata password be bypassed with a logic board swap?

depends. on some ssds the sata password mechanism is a potentially deece fde (*), but sata is a very pc industry standard so you'd better be sure your particular drive mfr did it right before you depend on it

* - dense flash media can have problems storing some bit patterns - long runs of ones, zeroes, etc. running all the data through encryption helps with that, since the output of good crypto looks like noise. so, there are a poo poo ton of ssds that always encrypt everything written to flash. the algorithm is usually aes-128 or -256 in counter mode

out of the box these drives store the data encryption key in the clear so the drive can function without any unlocking. if the user sets a sata password, a fresh random aes key gets generated (effectively wiping the drive!) and encrypted with the sata PW, so now the system must provide the sata PW in order to unlock the drive. this is more or less equivalent to popular assumed-to-be-good FDE schemes like bitlocker and filevault2, but with everything implemented inside the drive. i don't windows much but i seem to recall that bitlocker can operate in a mode where it actually relies on the sata drive to do all the work

personally i'd rather rely on operating system "soft" FDE because LOL if you think that storage devices have reliably competent implementations of anything. also the OS is more likely to get security patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what even is that, ccleaner for apple computers?

if ccleaner is a thing that promises to make your computer great again but doesn't do much and is ludicrously overpriced for what it does and is almost malware in how hard it is to get rid of once installed and is advertised with popup ads that try to hard sell you on the idea that your computer is full of crud that only ccleaner can remove and then when you try to close the popup some js intercepts the window close and questions your judgement for daring to cut off the lifeline they are graciously extending you, come on get out your credit card right now? then yes

last i heard nobody had identified any way in which mackeeper was actively harmful if installed, but it's still a really lovely product that is sold in the sleaziest way possible. it is more or less a legal way to steal money from people who don't know better

• Locked thread