Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

hackbunny posted:

"the worst that could happen", when you're a pedophile and you get caught, handily beats that, I'd say

point of order: they claim he's a pedophile, they haven't proven that, or even charged him with being one.

i can't think of too many other reasons he'd spend a year and a half in jail rather than co-operate either, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
bep bep secfuck car question: other than that jeep thing from a couple years back, have there been any reports of internet connected vehicles being hacked?

teslas are basically just a bunch of networked ubuntu vms, and i'd be curious to know if gm onstar systems are meaningfully firewalled from the ecu in any way

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i've worked with a company that supplies pos solutions to grocery chains. their standard builds for both POS and admin terminals disable UAC and store the system admin password in the registry. all the first run batch scripts they use to prep the image also ship on the PCs and are not removed, passwords for the system and the POS apps are hardcoded and appear to be the same for each client.

once they sent me the IPs and VPN keys for an unrelated client while trying to figure out how to configure a secure VPN tunnel. a tunnel to an otherwise open network in a retail store, with apparently no firewall rules to block connections on their end to other clients.

they claim PCI compliance

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i get that this isn't the place for it, but is there a thread we can use to talk about the ongoing comically terrifying opsec fuckups of the american administration? cause boy howdy there's a humdinger today.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i also did a thing: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3809850

race to see who gets gassed first

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

*NSA, and random aides, while surrounded by mar-a-largo guests having diner

join us in the opsec thread for more

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

stoopidmunkey posted:

Finance uses it at work for talking to our bank. The program sucks and the brightcloud protections in it time out causing connection issues. We had to turn off the web filtering to get it to work for the nice ladies that cut my check.

it's been pushed for years up here by a few of the banks. i'm constantly having to pull it from systems because it breaks https sessions in new and exciting ways. breaks in the sense of connections just plain ol fail at random if it's running. it also occasionally manages to peg an entire cpu core, doing something

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

local secfuck: went to a local rogers reseller today to swap my cable modem, all their demo androids are signed in using the store's gmail account. google drive shows all the store's files, presumably backed up to the cloud, including store security, accounting, employee, and customer information.

somehow no one seems to have noticed this.

gg guys.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol, an iot safe?

loving amazing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

apple ditched supermicro over servers with compromised firmware

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

rjmccall posted:

i mean, that too

but i guess it shouldn't surprise me that the yospos labor solidarity brigade would actually be first in line to report their coworkers for un-corporate activity

information security is job security

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

so the ex-kaspersky guy got fingered for treason by a well connected business man who is also allegedly involved in cyber crime

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

burglary as a service

also, just a low rent clone of the unfortunately named fobcouver.ca

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

or slip a receipt under the door.

but yeah, why did you carry a can of compressed air?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that's very sneakers of you

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

too early to tell if it's a secfuck, but amazon broke the internet

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

is there anything particularly wrong with microsoft's sstp vpn?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I loose the rights

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ultramiraculous posted:

hacking a very specific model of samsung tv to be used as a listening device...

i haven't seen that part of the dump yet, but samsung tvs share an in house linux distro, unless the specific exploit has been patched, pretty much every smart tv using that stack will be vulnerable, and that can span several model years and series

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

apache struts vuln getting savaged in the wild

bonus: tons of implementations remain unpatched because it has to be updated on an application by application basis

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

3DO will also read burned discs without modification, although it's very selective about what type of burned discs it will reliably read.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

FTC: IoT will just have to self-regulate. i'm sure it'll be fine

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

what would the scope of IoT regulation be, if there were some? "thing with network connection"? seems more FCC at that point

roughly, something mandating ongoing manufacturer support and minimum levels of security for internet connected devices.

e.g. your fridge/stove/babymonitor/drone/doorbell connects to the internet in any fashion then you have to provide security updates for x number of years for any discovered vulnerabilities and it has to have some basic level of authenticated access, no hard coded root passwords, etc.

have really basic pen testing certification requirement, like a CE mark

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes, but that's the whole point of having something like the FTC, to pass regulation to protect consumers because businesses will not do it voluntarily.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

anthonypants posted:

afaik the CE mark is a lot like UL certification, and neither of those are the american government

but the FTC requires those certifications for certain types of products to be sold in the us.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ate all the Oreos posted:

seems more like they're saying the FTC should require certification of some kind that's aimed at security rather than physical safety

it's this, i was responding to subjunctive about how this could hypothetically fall under the FTC's mandate, shaggar also presented a solution

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

fishmech posted:

the pickiness reputation for the 3do comes from the fact that a lot of 90s/early 2000s cd burners and media were just plain lovely, and would produce discs on the edges of tolerance. it's far less of a problem with any disc you'd buy in recent years.

from experience, no. i experimented with a half dozen different brands of cdr to get my FZ-1 to read burned discs, only five years ago. the pickup will read pressed discs 100% of the time, depending on the cdr, it will either not see it as a valid disc at all or fail/reset while loading constantly.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

holy poo poo. this seems like it should be bigger news

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Volmarias posted:

I'm sure that the company that operates entirely from China is going to actually provide those updates after pinky swearing to do it. Are you going to mandate that the retailer does it instead?

how do we deal with any other product that is found to be defective after sale?

computers are not magical unicorns, we can use the same legislation we already have.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm not drafting policy here. broadly, you have minimum security standards and a certification mark showing you meet the standard. you have minimum ongoing support requirements for anything that's found to breach the standard, for x years

your company, or your representative in the us is financially responsible for costs associated with any lapse or recall.

i don't know exactly how enforcement works, to my knowledge there are some basic requirements for electrical devices sold in the united states, things like requiring UL and CE marks, so in theory something similar to that

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well i suppose it depends on how you qualify a safety hazard. if your device has a known vulnerability, you don't patch it, and it participates in a DDoS that knocks the eastern seaboard offline, i think there's an argument to be made for culpability there.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

somewhat, so either i'm very wrong (likely), or this is another case where computers are magic because reasons and no one has gotten anyone to bite on those grounds (probably not)

i think you would have a clearer case if some critical infrastructure went offline due to an IoT DDoS and there were a directly attributable loss of life. although even then, it would probably be easier to focus on the direct cause of death.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 15, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bandwidth costs?

hardship due to the police shaking you down over participating in cybercrime (lol)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

if a life-critical piece of infrastructure fails because of unwelcome network traffic, lawyers are going to be pretty busy without figuring out the makes and models of the light switches generating the traffic, yeah

do i need to go find the screenshot of the aws support posting where the guy was crying about their home care monitoring infrastructure being down because aws made an api change or something?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

okay, but if your iot doorbell is participating in a botnet and so your glucose monitor fails to upload your stats and trigger an alarm, and you go into a diabetic coma, have we come up with a sufficiently obtuse example where iot device security becomes a consumer safety issue?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

no more so than an ISP error, power outage, or misplaced backhoe, IMO, so probably not. I'm not likely to be called as an expert witness though

and i'm not likely to be writing consumer safety policy for the FTC, so i think we're both in the clear

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that's how the conversation started, the ftc made a statement washing their hands of responsibility for iot cyber security issues, saying they needed to see what threats would emerge before they could say if they had any standing on the issue

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 15, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

to be more succinct, i think iot security is a consumer safety issue as long as things like smoke/co alarms, stoves, and fridges are being connected to the internet. webcams in a botnet are a bit of a red herring, it's just a convenient example since it's been in the news

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

anthonypants posted:

who's culpable? the manufacturer, who can claim ignorance? the consumer, who was """""""notified""""""" about the vulnerability but neglected to patch the device or take it offline? the consumer's isp, who allowed their customers to participate in a botnet?

the botnet doesn't matter, it's a convenient example of compromised devices. who's liable if your smoke alarm doesn't go off while your house burns down because someone hacked it for lulz?

being part of a botnet can prevent devices from functioning, but the same access methods can be used to modify their behaviour in other ways, the fact that they're vulnerable to remote intrusion is the problem

specifically the manufacturer's problem

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

man, i can't wait until they make .local a public tld

• Locked thread