Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

flakeloaf posted:

if you give your computer, which contains evidence of you committing crimes, to someone else, you are a moron

Fortunately the 4th amendment isn't means tested to only apply to non-morons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Bulgakov posted:

I remember being about ten or eleven years old and reading fat wallet or slick deals when those people got hold of a pricing error and then invoking notions of "I'll get a class action lawyer!" once dell denied their orders for 200 monitors

a whole lot of severe pedantic dorks when I just wanted to build a computer on fixing AOL installer wages

Most of the time they wouldn't be honored, but sometimes....

And that's how I got a Pentium4 Northwood processor for .99c in like august 2002 .

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

PCjr sidecar posted:

you overpaid

I used it until I bought my c2d E6600 in like 2006.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

OSI bean dip posted:

i got one better

:discourse:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

zen death robot posted:

look the NRC is gonna come down on my rear end if i expose the public to that much radium

:lol:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

OSI bean dip posted:

SA has been owned. There's a username and password dump floating about from 2004/2005

to be fair. when that leak happened, radium forced everyone to change their password to a 12 (or 16+) character password with mandatory minimum symbol representation.

for a long time even in yospos, and before mainstream password vaults, SA had the most secure requirements of most social media.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
true.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Paypal is trash for idiots qtiyd

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Shaggar posted:

if you put locks on your bag and they are not TSA the TSA will cut them off but yeah they're useless either way cause of 100 reasons. the only way to secure checked baggage is to get a hard case with a good lock and transport firearms in it along w/ everything else.

This is the correct way to transport things "securely." Another way is sometimes at large airports you can get your luggage TSA wrapped which makes it less likely to be tampered with.

Otherwise for casual security this "birthday" lock is fine.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 15, 2017

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Kazinsal posted:

they charge you fifteen bucks to wrap your bag with a pound of cling wrap

Yep.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

spankmeister posted:

I only ever see those in lovely airports

I mean yea. It's useful for going outside the US as well.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Wild EEPROM posted:

lol if tsa cuts it open the people who buy that sort of poo poo will try to save their 2 pounds of saran wrap too.

The TSA specifically DOESN'T cut it open. That's the point. It's sealed with anti-tamper TSA tape.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

flosofl posted:

:byodood: But it has an ethernet port!

Actually it's an RJ-45 connector port :eng101:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Trabisnikof posted:

True you have to rent a backhoe or be like the Bay Area snipper and just know when fiber is above ground

while those are more effective attacks. physical access is a hell of a lot harder then internet ddos.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Chalks posted:

Assuming MS is interested in hosting it they'll probably just offer them a competitive price. It doesn't sound like the most horrendous idea when compared to some monolithic bespoke project - as long as MS are confident they could handle it smoothly.

Unfortunately ability to handle a project isn't part of the rubric of enterprise project management. In fact I'd say the only metric they use is number of billable hours.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pro-click.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Munkeymon posted:

and we have him to thank for that amazing short story in response to his craziness

?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Nice!

ty

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

DuckConference posted:

what is the sec thread approved method for crossing a border now? Make dummy social media accounts, claim not to have them, change the password before and after crossing?

All though it is now explicitly legal for customs to go through your poo poo that way, in actuality that type of "extreme" vetting will be rare enough so that it's not worth doing anything out of the ordinary. Just don't unlock your phone, problem solved. If you get hassled you are in for days of pain anyway, and cooperation won't help you so enable the secure erase feature, and tell them to brute force it or send you back.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

when you gaze behind the security theater curtain.

in a better world this would lead to a purging of public/private partnerships and corruption charges. in our currently the gayest of worlds, prepare for full cavity searches being standard for "enhanced" interrogation of domestic travelers.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Lightbulb Out posted:

supermicros security has never been great. their ipmi has been real bad in the past.

Supermicro is a shitshow, BUT they are a cheap shitshow.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Some guy from Amazon posted:

code:
$ ansible-playbook -i prod12.inv destroy.pb.yaml
Oh gently caress, I was supposed to do this instead.

code:
$ ansible-playbook -i prod21.inv destroy.pb.yaml
*millions of dollars in lost revenue for customers*

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

jre posted:

If you are only in 1 region and being down for 10 hours costs you significant money you're the fuckup

I don't think one customer had millions of dollars of loss but thousands of customers had thousands of dollars of loss v:shobon:v

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

NFX posted:

or just by comparing with the old password the user types in. my point was more the poster who unironically complained that he can't use a lovely password

"gently caress you authenticator! if 185593 was a good enough code an hour ago it's a good enough code now!"

An authenticator token for 2fa isn't comparable to a password.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The hacker known as yosposbithc

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cardboard Box A posted:

I found his account

lol passwordgaysowhat

Meh, I don't think that's the worst tbqh, even a weird custom algorithm that produces a long password given a small input is still better then nothing. It's basically a otp at that point anyway.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Chalks posted:

Better than password reuse, worse than a password manager.

To be honest there's so much password reuse and breaches tend to be so large that people don't go through the list of plain text passwords from multiple breaches trying to work out patterns between similar but different passwords, they just throw the whole list at various websites as is and ignore anything that doesn't work first try.

Right. Having your super secret password for a website being [non-unique salt]+websitename+[N repeating characters of padding] is still a solid password scheme for an individual. But yes, just use a password manager.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ate all the Oreos posted:

lol i hope they take every single thing he owns like they do in drug busts and parade it in front of him as they confiscate it

Civil Forfeiture is hosed up and shouldn't be applauded in anyway.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Midjack posted:

didn't work. first thing I tried was lopping off one character at a time

Nice. aol proving they are still a product of the 90's.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Last Chance posted:

REMEMBER AOL DISCS LOL

My computer nerds and I in High School would collect those things. We got up to 2500 of them.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Last Chance posted:

i used a 3.5" aoldisk to store an old copy of leisure suit larry hehe

Same, except instead of leisure suit larry it was an AMI Bios cracker that I downloaded from a BBS so that I could figure out the password to my dad's computer and play while he was at work.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

OSI bean dip posted:

Hilariously the DB was apparently dropped.

Good.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Just don't use auto-fill?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Sure don't use lastpass if you want. But since you should use a password manager, just don't use auto-fill, or auto-sync on any of them.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Truga posted:

or you could use a pwm that isn't broken, but what do i know

Oh Word? You know that %piece of software% isn't broken? drat make sure to link your Computer Science Thesis itt, thanks.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

flakeloaf posted:

wait what's wrong with auto-sync now, that's my whole reason for wanting 1password so i can just change my passwords once and have all four or five or whatever the hell i'm up to machines go 'yup ok'

if dropbox gets owned i'm hosed anyway so hail eris or satan or whatever

Eh, that's just my opinion about limiting risk. If your password vault exists in only one place and you just c+p from it, then all the web-hook vulnerabilities don't matter. If dropbox get's owned, then yea I agree it's basically the same as a sync-service getting owned. Eitherway, I still think it's prudent not to enable web-site integration with any password manager.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Doom Mathematic posted:

If you've got the vulnerability there, why not just port calc.exe to Mac and then inject and run it?

why not just call /Applications/Calculator.app

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

OSI bean dip posted:

browse the site from tor:

:ironicat:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
You know what would be great, if we used the government to pass a law that forbade providers from doing that...wait a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Westie posted:

the forums are so old most exploits probably aren't in it

Security through obsolescence. Alternatively, stop using a piece of poo poo password manager that needs to do anything on the internet for any reason.

*updates passwords.txt*
*will never be "hacked"*

• Locked thread