Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
burning swine
May 26, 2004

Last Chance posted:

i remember i tried this with a key i got through some MS win 7 upgrade promotion and it would only let me download a french or korean windows 7 iso lol

ala this poor gently caress

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...d0-62ca58d027cb

the windows 10 download page can be coerced into showing download options for windows 7 and 8 as well with a little js :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

you could just make the user interact with each field individually but the list is still better UX

as has been said many times before, security often comes at the expense of convenience. solution: patch autofill out of all of these browsers

burning swine
May 26, 2004

secfuck thread: the most secure thread on the forums for 24 short hours

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Keep up the good work hackbunny, these posts are awesome

RE: disk size
I checked with the current version of vmware workstation, and if you provision an XP machine without changing any of the default settings you get a 45GB disk
(and one cpu and 512mb of ram lol)

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Rufus Ping posted:

assuming you arent joking, please explain

reduction (arguably elimination) of attack surface

If your password manager is filling out forms for you, it's probably doing some outrageous poo poo like injecting JS into the page you're viewing. Bridging the browser / password manager gap is how we ended up with multiple lastpass vulns along the lines of "whoops, turns out we exposed all your passwords to any website that asked for them"

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I'm the censorship of the word "chinese"

burning swine
May 26, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

the dot product of an attack vector

burning swine
May 26, 2004

some bored college student hijacked his own campus' IoT devices and used them for a DDOS against said uni's DNS servers

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-iot-hackers-turned-a-universitys-network-against-itself/

quote:

In this instance, all of the DNS requests were attempting to look up seafood restaurants -- and it wasn't because thousands of students all had an overwhelming urge to eat fish -- but because devices on the network had been instructed to repeatedly carry out this request.

"We identified that this was coming from their IoT network, their vending machines and their light sensors were actually looking for seafood domains; 5,000 discreet systems and they were nearly all in the IoT infrastructure,"

Default credentials, as always

burning swine
May 26, 2004

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

do any of you know much about Carbon Black? it's apparently an application whitelisting program for windows that they're rolling out here at work. i'm just curious how many ways it inadvertently links other user activity to the admins or vendor, as it sounds like the vendor has to actually help our local admins add things to the whitelist from the internal memo.

man I had this idea years ago. Wrote a service that acted as a whitelist for other windows services. Listened for service start events and killed any service that attempted to start but wasn't allowed by the whitelist

my goal was to stop IT from pushing software onto my work machine via the domain / group policy, lol

it didn't end well

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Midjack posted:

should we just call environmental detection and subsequent behavior modification "vdubbing" from now on?

I like this idea

burning swine
May 26, 2004

sha1 is dead

long live sha1

burning swine
May 26, 2004

E: wrong thread lol

burning swine fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 27, 2017

burning swine
May 26, 2004

OSI bean dip posted:

when is nilbog going to be done?

a week, two tops

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Volmarias posted:

To play devil's advocate, this is only the numbers for devices that still contact the play store (iirc). All the garbage Chinese spin-offs that don't come with Google preloaded, or where the user isn't signed into a Google account (I ran into someone with a G1 a couple years back who never signed into a Google account on the device, and didn't realize that there was an app ecosystem) won't be counted in these numbers.

It's a good graph for deciding what minimum API to support for your Dildo Auctioning app but less useful if you're a TLA.

I tried about a year ago to do android sans google, and it's a loving mess. Even if you install apps from alternate stores (f-droid, etc), drat near everything expects the play framework to be present and will just crash when the api calls fail. Android without google these days basically means android without apps, I doubt there are really that many people in that segment

burning swine
May 26, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

there's an alarming number of embedded devices doing this though

oh yeah, I guess there are. welp

burning swine
May 26, 2004

fishmech posted:

that's actually a 67 frame animated gif that applies changes per each frame that are visually invisible (and which doesn't loop, probably chosen that way because it changes the contents slightly to do it). they also use the per-frame comment feature and the trailing comment feature to further massage the stored data in the file to get the preferred md5

so, typical "stuff garbage into places where they won't be displayed and you can manipulate easy hashes" stuff

i'm microsoft gif animator '95 running in windows 10

burning swine
May 26, 2004

this would be big news except the OPM already leaked all of this poo poo and more like 3 years ago

e: although i guess that data didn't end up publically on the internet so welp

burning swine
May 26, 2004

alternate headline: Chinese government better at protecting US secrets than US air force

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Truga posted:

wait, synergy costs money now?

:rip:

I was pretty annoyed by this, they started charging right at the same time that they completely broke synergy on linux. They broke their poo poo then began charging to update to a working version

arch even created a package with this description:

code:
aur/synergy-1.6 1.6.3-1 (11) (0.53)
    Synergy upstream 1.6 branch. 1.7.x is very unstable on Linux.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

infernal machines posted:

er... bitlocker?

annual reminder that bitlocker was significantly weakened after windows 7 with the removal of the diffuser

:nsa:

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Raere posted:

I don't understand why password managers are so bad. Shouldn't they be relatively straightforward to make with some competent security people on your team? I understand that antivirus software is pretty complex so there are secfucks abound, but password managers shouldn't be that complex.

the problems are almost always related to browser integration.

keepass doesn't have browser integration, and as far as I'm aware, their only fuckup thus far was checking for updates over http (which was fixed after some whining by the author)

e:
1pass has a pretty clean record so far as well, right? lastpass is the only one getting flagged for stupid poo poo like this on a weekly basis

burning swine fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 21, 2017

burning swine
May 26, 2004

also:

quote:

Unsurprisingly passwords are stored in plain text and trivial to get out of the database due to verbose logging.
Tried comparing the field password to an integer
Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Conversion failed when converting the varchar value '********' to data type int.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

l o l

https://www.helpnetsecurity.com/2017/03/21/nest-security-cameras-stop-recording/

quote:

Google Nest’s Dropcam, Dropcam Pro, Nest Cam Outdoor and Nest Cam Indoor security cameras can be easily disabled by an attacker that’s in their Bluetooth range, a security researcher has found.

The vulnerabilities are present in the latest firmware version running on the devices (v5.2.1). They were discovered by researcher Jason Doyle last fall, and their existence responsibly disclosed to Google, but have still not been patched.

The first two flaws can be triggered and lead to a buffer overflow condition if the attacker sends to the camera a too-long Wi-Fi SSID parameter or a long encrypted password parameter, respectively.

Unfortunately, Bluetooth can’t be disabled on these cameras, so there is little users can do to minimize this particular risk.

Reported to Google: October 26, 2016
Public Disclosure: March 17, 2017
https://github.com/jasondoyle/Google-Nest-Cam-Bug-Disclosures/blob/master/README.md

burning swine
May 26, 2004

BillWh0re posted:

2017 and this linux user still can't get sound in his browser

burning swine
May 26, 2004

OSI bean dip posted:

this is an e-mail a colleague got

Dear Mr. REDACTED NAME:

Attached is an email that I received on March 24, 2017. I feel that you should be aware that some rear end in a top hat is signing your name to stupid spam emails.

Very truly yours,

OSI bean dip

burning swine
May 26, 2004

lol just checked and my personal site's cert is signed by geotrust

time to dehumanize i guess

burning swine
May 26, 2004

schranz kafka posted:

ive been talking about this and the main reaction ive been getting is "why? they're going to fix the holes" but i still feel like i should move to 1password

Tavis has descended from the heavens and fixed all of their stupid problems, but once he's done he will move on and the lastpass team will continue to introduce new fuckups

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Looks like they turned on basic http auth

not posting the tweet because the IP is right there in screenshot

burning swine
May 26, 2004

why have i never thought of this

burning swine
May 26, 2004

lol I was going to suggest putting it in the thread title but I didn't want to post the actual string lest radium's vengeful spirit come to harvest our souls

burning swine
May 26, 2004

WinNuke: now for linux

edit: dammit this probably impacts my retard phone

burning swine
May 26, 2004

ate all the Oreos posted:

i just overheard our sysadmin talking about how much he loves getting targeted advertising because it's helpful and he's okay with them harvesting all his data because "it's anonymous"

lol forever at people who think like this

most that I know work for advertising companies and rationalize their own line of work like this so they can pretend that what they do isn't profoundly unethical

see also: people working for "relevant marketing" companies and insisting that what they do isn't advertising at all

burning swine
May 26, 2004

reuse your bits

but also

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

if only the convention centre put the doors in a nonstandard location

:eyepop:

burning swine
May 26, 2004

ate all the Oreos posted:

im the guy in the comments trying to sell their own weird email service and whining that people don't trust it even though he charges money. y-combinator proceeds to get really happy about the "value proposition" and other capitalism things, yet not a single visiter with a y-combinator referrer signs up :iiam:

The headlines on this one have been amusing this morning

quote:

Unroll.me head 'heartbroken' that users found out it sells their inbox data

We're sorry. So sorry. So sorry that you caught us

burning swine
May 26, 2004

hey if I ever wanted to hide my_crimes.txt i'd just throw it smack in the middle of a long eula

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I'm with you here though, shaggs. Anyone who gives a third party service their email login credentials deserves whatever happens to them and then some

burning swine
May 26, 2004

infernal machines posted:

mainframe of theseus

NICE!

lol atlassian

My company switched to hipchat a while ago, and I noticed that whenever someone sends a picture (which is frequently a screenshot of something proprietary, or at least not meant for disclosure), it ends up hosted on an s3 instance with absolutely no authentication. URL is something like s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.hipchat.com/[comany's unique ID]/[some other id]/[upload.png]

I'd been meaning to do some prodding and see if [some other id] is predictable, maybe I should take that off the back burner

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

just stick a UUID in there and it's basically as good as authentication over https.

It's waaaaaay too short to be a UUID

e: just compiled a list of all the urls sent to me. It's more or less on par with an imgur identifier. Meh, not as interesting as I had hoped

burning swine fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 26, 2017

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Good writeup on the security dumpster fire that is SugarCRM:

http://karmainsecurity.com/tales-of-sugarcrm-security-horrors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burning swine
May 26, 2004

• Locked thread