Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
This roster isn't looking too hot on the marvel side....

At least Strider is back, but Chris??? Really??????????????????????????????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah if that neogaf dude is right I'm probably just going to outright skip this game. Capcom keeps trying to chase this casual market by making their games more "accessible" but unfortunately they have no loving idea what that concept even means.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

sharrrk posted:

i would like for this game to be fun and to have trish and dormammu return. i'm probably asking for too much though

I'm sure their animations will be repurposed to another character like ultron did with Nova.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
http://kotaku.com/marvel-vs-capcom-infinite-wants-even-newbies-to-have-a-1794685310

Looks like they let all the normies play this game and they're swooning over the changes for newcomers

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah I think I'm out

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Zand posted:

the opinions of casuals aren't wrong, they are uninformed. they can keep having uninformed opinions, I don't care about that. the problem lies solely with capcom catering to the strawman "good game for everyone." and the opinions of competitive players are absolutely valuable but being a competitive player doesn't make you a game designer.

This is my big problem with capcom fighting games since Sf4/Mvc3. They keep trying to make this game for "everyone" except it ends up not pleasing either side. SF4 I think was the best version of this type of game I guess or at least the most successful. Marvel 3 was a noticeable step down from Marvel 2 and then SFXT happened. Now we got SF5 and its uh yeah still going I guess, didn't light the world on fire like SF4 did though.

This just looks bad, I can't get excited for it.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

first of all: nice custom text

second of all: srk is trash, we all know

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

fadam posted:

How come Injustice 2 seems to resonate with normies more than the VS series?

Marketing. Capcom has no idea how to market this at all. Or anything for that matter.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
:yikes:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah this is depressing. Watching people play the demo sealed the deal for me and yeah just not going to buy it. It's clear after sf5 and now this that they absolutely have no idea what they're doing. If this manages to move any copies it's gonna be off megaman X and MCU stuff alone probably.

SF5 sold like poo poo and the word of mouth is already formulating on this game as well. I guess all the budget went towards the new monster hunter or something.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Fellblade posted:

This game will sell poo poo because capcom couldn't market a free blowjob machine and it will still sell about 1000 times as many copies as the DBZ game does.

you have no loving idea what you're talking about here friend (except for the thing about capcom being complete utter failures to market their games, I agree on that)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Countblanc posted:

wasn't there supposed to be a monster hunter character? i just see Dahren Mohran which i assume is supposed to be a story encounter because it's an enormous monster

Hunter would be the Monster Hunter character.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Watching some of the gameplay from e3 yeah there seems to be some cool stuff with the gameplay but I feel like there's more bad than good.

Also the story demo they put out is embarrassingly bad.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Lmao I don't even know why they have to lie about the xmen characters not being in the game when we all know the true reason. I really want to see the contract between capcom and marvel now lol.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Wanderer posted:

We don't all know the true reason. Rosas is speaking to the casuals, and saying, "Hey, I know you probably played a lot of the X-Men characters, but we made sure that other characters would fit their various niches, so you should find somebody else you like to play." I assume this is why Iron Man has a rekka now, for example; he's meant to be the "new Magneto."

This is all marketing-speak. Yeah, if you know fighting-games and you're active in the FGC, even just as a stream monster, you can see it as the focus-group bullshit it is, but they aren't talking to you. They're talking to the millions of casual fans who will make up the bulk of this game's sales, whether or not it succeeds, and they're willing to put up with the mockery from the hardcore scene in order to help sell the game to its primary audience.

Never assume something's malicious when it could just be stupid, and in video games, never assume something's stupid when it could just be marketing.

Yes we do, marvel just wants to promote the characters from the film franchise they own the rights for, they don't own the X-men film license. This game is essentially just an AD for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Its not malicious, its just marketing but they shouldn't treat their audience like they have no idea what is actually going on.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Wanderer posted:

Dunning-Kruger rears its ugly head again. Nice going, champ.

It's really not that hard to understand what Rosas was going for, although his phrasing was awful. If you picked a character in UMVC3 for a particular style of play that they represented, he's saying they tried to represent that style in the reshuffled cast, which is why Iron Man rushes poo poo down now, Cap has Taskmaster's counter, Rocket can summon Groot to cover about as much ground as Sentinel could, etc.

Players may have preexisting character loyalty, but if they stick with a game for a while, even if it's just for couch play or dorm match-ups or whatever, they'll pick up other characters who might play better, especially when it's a team-based game. There are a lot of casual players who couldn't give a poo poo about Magneto or Doom as characters, but they still find their way onto a lot of players' teams because they're easy to use and effective. Conversely, there's a good half of the cast where there's no reason to use them besides character loyalty (why pick Iron Man when Doom exists, unless you just happen to like Iron Man?), and a lot of those guys came back for the sequel, so the developers are trying to thread that needle.

90% of their audience doesn't know what's going on. 90% of their audience are casual players who will pick this up on week one from the Wal-Mart electronics aisle because it says "Marvel" on the cover.

If you are into the hobby to such an extent that you discuss the hobby on online message boards, you are part of a hardcore 10% and are in no way reflective of the vast majority of the gaming audience. That's something a lot of enthusiasts don't realize, but once you know that, a lot of what developers and publishers do makes a lot more sense.

The casual audience does not play capcom games

E: i'll make this easier for you. You are talking about an audience for capcom games that doesn't exist anymore. Capcom burned the casual audience good will over the years. UMVC3 was the first one to do this, being released so closely to the original MVC3 that many people felt burned by buying the original (look up the sales). SFxT also sold poorly and they blamed it on there being way too many fighting games, but MK/Injustice/Tekken were still doing well.

By the time SF5 releases and they drop the ball for a third time, the casual audience (and the enthusiast scene to a certain extent) give a huge backlash and just don't even buy that game at all.

So I'm not really sure you know what the gently caress you're talking about since the casual audience is extremely put off Capcom by this point. The casual audience is looking at Injustice 2, Tekken 7 and now the new DBZ fighting game. Capcom is reaching for an audience that doesn't give a gently caress anymore.

The REAL Goobusters fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 25, 2017

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah this game still looks bad? Lol like it looks real bad

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

cams posted:

you're right, the healthy thing is to post about how a game i have never played sucks, how right i am about it sucking, what it says about the stupid people who don't think it sucks, and to do so any time anyone tries to do anything except have a masturbatory meta conversation about the quality of video games because god damnit i am a FIGHTING GAME FAN on the internet and the people NEED me.

a bunch of defective young men taking pride in their opinions of video games on the internet to the point that it becomes part of their identity. cool.

hopefully i'll have my copy of this game today, maybe tomorrow. real excited to put in some time with it.

goondolences

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

The hell only 2 capcom characters.

I mean you see any other capcom games coming out? :smug:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

anime was right posted:

is the online "good" or is it like sfv where we thought it was good but it turns out it's a total coinflip on if you get the lovely or the good netcode

The online netcode for ranked seems fine so far. But online on player lobbies is completely hosed, after testing it with 3 of us having a 5 bar connection it was still lagging / rollback like crazy. Also you can't turn off VOIP at all in player lobbies either.

E: on pc**

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
On pc the game actually runs much better for me windowed than it does fullscreen. Anyone else have this problem?

• Locked thread