Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

In Training posted:

I beat Hearts of Iron IV (won World War II)

What country were you? (And you don't have a screenshot of the world from the end of the game, do you? There are some pretty crazy alt-history endings I've seen from HoI :D )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

rediscover posted:

i beat two games alreaedy. to be a more powerful gamer than Evil Eagle.. what a rush

Woah, careful though - great power comes with great responsibility

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I think the vast majority of The Witcher 3 references the book series instead of the previous games. I read a plot summary of previous games to try and figure out what was going on and it didn't really explain anything. Then I started reading the books and everything fell into place.

The codex explains everything you need to know anyway.

Yeah, I love it - even now when I'm reaching the end of the recently-translated book the Tower of the Swallow I'm encountering heaps of little details W3 references. So good; even little details like Skellige geography that's mentioned in the book is in the game, as well as details about Toussaint (and Est Est wines - I loved the bit where they described the year Emhyr was born as "a fantastic year for wine...not for anyone else though" after drinking a glass, as I remember that the same line was used in the game at one point) being faithfully recreated in the game. Just amazes me how much effort they put into it; making the game as faithful a recreation as possible.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

it's cool that they put love and care into being faithful to source material

it's not cool that i have to read a book in order to get context for things happening in a game

i wish that they added in a new major character or two that both fans of the source material and new guys could experience together for the first time instead of literally every major interaction hinging on things said or done in the past that i have no idea about but considering the amount of fun i had playing this game it really is a petty gripe. sorry for the derail.

I dunno, I do get what you mean (especially with regards to Regis, who's re-introduction was a serious ":aaaaa: WTF HOW HAVE YOU BEEN AFTER ALL THESE YEARS" moment for me like it was for Geralt), but I think they did a decent job of making the games accessible to newbies to the series, overall. I mean sure you won't get all the little references etc, but you'll get the gist of what's going on in terms of the grand scheme of things, etc. pretty quickly.
(Although are you coming straight into TW3, or have you played the previous Witcher games? Since I feel that the way they started the series with TW1 was quite good, as Geralt had amnesia and effectively had to learn about the goings-on of the world a second time, which would've been a huge help to people unfamiliar with the books)

Urgh, after reading through the books and talking about it, I'm really starting to want to play through it all again, now....And now after Regis' return I just want Cahir to somehow return from the dead too, dammit. :(

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Unfunny Poster posted:

Beat MGS 1 & 2, and loved both of them. I am about a third of the way through MGS3 (from what I remember) and I think it's probably my favorite so far in terms of story.

:hf: Enjoy - I loved MGS3 way more than any of the others, so have fun with it! Such a good story (and stealth/camo mechanics), so for me it just blows the others out of the water. (drat I wish MGS3 got a PC/Steam release :( )
So what part have you gotten up to?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Unfunny Poster posted:

The End battle.

Ah nice, I liked that bit. I only managed to beat it legitimately once though, from memory. :D Since if you weren't aware, he can die of old age if you either wait a week (I think? Might be more/less), or move your clock forward a week

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

extremely steampunk posted:

I beat Age of Decadence twice, first I did a non-combat run with a high charisma merchant type and then i got used to dying repeatedly until I had figured out combat and killed everyone. good game

I've always been curious about that game. How long is it, and is the story actually engrossing enough to make you want to keep going until you beat it? Since I haven't really heard much about it.
Also, which playstyle do you prefer/recommend? Normally I like to focus on charisma, etc. and maybe only get into a fight now and again, in most games like that.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

tumor looking batty posted:

Don't sign your posts

:D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Finally got around to beating the main Vermintide campaign with a friend, if that counts! (And drat, that's the only thing I've beaten, this year...apart from that I've just been playing R6: Siege, and recently replaying Skyrim)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Evil Eagle posted:

8) Europa Universalis 4

Just finished my first multiplayer game after 30 hours. Ended up as the #1 Great Power in the world so I'm going to say I beat the game

Oh, so which nation were you playing as? And congrats! Are you hooked yet? :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh, I beat the Battle Brothers (Noble War) end-game crisis in the last few days. I like my current merc band too much though, so instead of stopping I've continued on with my campaign, and will end up being smashed by another crisis sooner or later (I suspect it will be a huge undead uprising, but could be anything at this point. I'm currently around 170 days in)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

I beat Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor. Good game, I enjoyed it the more I ignored most of the side missions.

Hm, maybe I should get back into it and do the same. I remember getting into the second/forested area, but I got burnt-out as I was doing a lot of the side missions.
I loved the nemesis system though - it's so disappointing that nobody else has picked that up and used it in their own games.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

Oh, I beat the Battle Brothers (Noble War) end-game crisis in the last few days. I like my current merc band too much though, so instead of stopping I've continued on with my campaign, and will end up being smashed by another crisis sooner or later (I suspect it will be a huge undead uprising, but could be anything at this point. I'm currently around 170 days in)

As of last night I've also beaten the Battle Brothers (Undead Scourge) endgame. Not looking forward to the Orc invasion one though, as they're tough in this game.
My poor, squishy mercenaries :ohdear:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, I just finished Max Payne 3, after around nine and a half hours total playtime. I haven't played a purely single-player action shooter in a while, so I enjoyed it, as a bit of a break from Rainbow Six: Siege.
Very linear as some here have already pointed out, but eh, Max Payne has always been linear, so it's nothing new. Still good, although I'm not sure if I'll ever replay it - I feel that Max Payne 2 has better overall replayability.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Far Cry: Primal. I liked it despite some Ubisoft AIDS. The setting was really neat.

I know they're quite different, but how does it compare to say, Ghost Recon: Wildlands? I was initially curious about FC:P prior to its release, but then...didn't see or hear anything about it, for the next months/year. (Hopefully the reason behind that isn't because it's very poorly regarded, or something! :v:)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Spoderman posted:

That may have been it? Still, I'm going to be extra careful next time. This was my first playthrough where I've ever shaken the temptation to go lethal during arsenal gear. I'm getting there. I'll play MGS 3, then loop back to 2 and see if I can do a speedier non-lethal.

Nice! Much better than what I've done - I've never even bothered going LTL on Arsenal Gear, simply due to it being a big enough pain in the arse, without needing to keep the enemy soldiers alive.
I hope you enjoy MGS3; it's the best one, I think. I found it much more enjoyable taking the LTL route in MGS3, than in MGS2. Can't get enough of that camo system.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I made it to 1821 in EU4 as a nation I imported from CK2

Oh nice, which nation? Hopefully the world wasn't completely full of blobs, by the 1700s

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Welp, I've finally finished my Dishonored 2 playthrough, which apparently took 19hrs 35min. Did it on hard as Emily without supernatural powers, as well as without being spotted or killing anyone, too. (Although at the end I did just rush through the last couple of minutes after going into the painting and just killing Delilah, so I could see that ending sequence as well)
Now it's time to go through it all over again as Corvo, and have a high-chaos run where I don't care about being spotted. Should be a good change of pace, after that last playthrough.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Last night I finished my hard difficulty, minimal reloading (so if I get caught, I'll fight it out), high chaos playthrough of Dishonored 2 as Corvo. It was soo liberating, playing the game this way. Not only did it take me like, less than half the time my initial no powers+stealthy/no-kill playthrough took, it was so fun just being able to duke it out with a bunch of guards and totally outclass them with my powers.
Great change of pace. I also liked how everyone treats you differently, when they know you've killed poo poo-tonnes of people throughout the game. Instead of being like "yeah, I'll support you because your cause is just!" they'll be like "FINE, I'll help you because you're better than them, but you're a TOTAL DICK for killing all those people." (Plus I noticed that Meaghan doesn't tell you who she really is, if you go high-chaos. She just legs it the moment you turn away, after she speaks to you)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Popular Human posted:

I beat The Sopranos: Road To Respect. Don't ever play The Sopranos: Road to Respect.

Oh wow, I didn't even know there was a Sopranos game! Just looked it then, and yeah, doesn't sounds great. Kudos to you though, for sticking with it the whole way through

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

extremely steampunk posted:

When I went to start new game + I realized that I haven't had any of the free DLCs installed so I will get to see some new stuff on my second playthrough

Nice, in hindsight I probably should've done this, as well - probably the best way to play NG+.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I 100%ed Heat Signature, which I found to be quite a fun little game. I'm starting Death of the Outsider at the moment; should be good.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

goferchan posted:

Also I'm in a good position to beat Breath of the Wild right now but I just can't bring my self to go kill Ganon. I know I can keep loving around after that but it won't really feel the same...

Yeah, I know that feeling. :( I get that a lot, in games with a climatic finale. Same deal with Red Dead Redemption - I know you can keep playing/messing around in that playthrough afterwards, but I just completely lost the desire to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

hahaha touché! :D

• Locked thread