Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Network Technology?
nas
san
ethernet over fibre channel
fibre channel over ethernet
ax.25 300 baud comedy option
View Results

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
we don't have a real networking thread and the closest thing i can remember is the cat 5 in the laundry room thread so why the hell not

talk about wifi and ethernet and sonet and atm and frame relay and your personal token ring setup and your infiniband home lan and your fibre channel san or your 40gbE nas or whatever the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

things i have or will have going on at some point
  • 10gbE chelsio nic someone must've recycled at some point that I found in my storage unit
  • dell powerconnect 6248p someone definitely recycled. very loud and it has four 10gbE SFP slots
  • four buffalo wifi APs for my dad's place
  • i can get a spool of plenum rated cat 5e from work for $20 to wire said place the hell up. was gonna buy the cat 6 we had but i pulled on it and there was only 4 feet of cable left

my eventual plan with the Very Fast Ethernet equipment is to build an iSCSI NAS to hold all of my archived digitized video tapes and photo scans so I can stop janitoring my free space.

I already have a rackmount appliance thing with the ram and hard drives removed, but it's pretty old. I can gut the digital parts and reuse it I think. It was originally a NebuAd UTA-1000. the Nebuad Ultra Transparent Appliance was basically a deep packet inspection box used to build detailed advertising profiles on ISP's users and insject ads into their web pages.

so basically I'm going to eventually have a big storage box built in the husk of a server that caused "congressional concern" :allears:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

in fairness the cat5e in the laundry thread was probably peak networking discussion

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

if my dad's plans go forward someday i might be putting cat5e in the sauna

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Thanks Ants posted:

in fairness the cat5e in the laundry thread was probably peak networking discussion

it was

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Thanks Ants posted:

it was cat6 utp

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i want NBASET

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i want to get 10 or 100gb speed network between my home PC, my NAS and my set-top media player thing (currently a WDTV). any ideas on where to start? it's a synology nas 2-bay nas.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Beast of Bourbon posted:

100gb speed network between my home PC, my NAS and my set-top media player thing (currently a WDTV).

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

streaming hd video needs like 20-40 mbps max bro

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I think borbon has a 4k tv

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

unless he has 4k content encoded in mpeg2 i dunno how anyone would need let alone use more than 1 gbps within their household

servers belong in your colo cage friends

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQghgR9kbRs

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
currently i have a 2011 sharp 1080p hdtv. it's got 1 hdmi in, so i'm all set there, thank you.

the wdtv is also from 2011, it does 1080p out and has an "ethernet" jack on it, i think it's 100mbps but maybe we can OC that bad boy up to 100gbs. this isn't for streaming bullshit, this is for xferring files over there. right now it can take like...several minutes for a linux iso rip to get xferred to the wdtv.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Beast of Bourbon posted:

currently i have a 2011 sharp 1080p hdtv. it's got 1 hdmi in, so i'm all set there, thank you.

the wdtv is also from 2011, it does 1080p out and has an "ethernet" jack on it, i think it's 100mbps but maybe we can OC that bad boy up to 100gbs. this isn't for streaming bullshit, this is for xferring files over there. right now it can take like...several minutes for a linux iso rip to get xferred to the wdtv.

:hellyeah:

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
do i need to upgrade the entire system to 100gbs or will it slow down if i have a 10/100mbps device on the network, like WiFi does.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i want to get 10 or 100gb speed network between my home PC, my NAS and my set-top media player thing (currently a WDTV). any ideas on where to start? it's a synology nas 2-bay nas.

does the nas support 10gbE? also you're probably not getting 100gbE

Infiniband DDR equipment is cheap now :shepface:

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

atomicthumbs posted:

does the nas support 10gbE? also you're probably not getting 100gbE

Infiniband DDR equipment is cheap now :shepface:

it does 1gb ethernet. also it has 2 sata disk hard drives in there.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Beast of Bourbon posted:

it does 1gb ethernet. also it has 2 sata disk hard drives in there.

i think you need 9 more nas to make it 10gb

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
then you take the cable and put like 1 wire into each port?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

then you take the cable and put like 1 wire into each port?

Put the wire in your butt.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

10gbE is either fiber (good) or 10GBASE-T (apparently sucks) or some weird standard nobody uses

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

atomicthumbs posted:

10gbE is either fiber (good) or 10GBASE-T (apparently sucks) or some weird standard nobody uses

10GBASE-T is fine with good cables (cat 7)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

mishaq posted:

10GBASE-T is fine with good cables (cat 7)

yeah but then you've got to haul them out and replace them when the next UTP standard comes into effect for 55GBASE-T or whatever the gently caress

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

I think borbon has a 4k tv

come to bourbons home next time you Mother Fucker

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
silver you stupind loving rear end in a top hat get off your drat couch and shag carpet and get on the mother loving coastliner and get up in here you loving piece of poo poo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! peer pressure is IN in 2017 Mother Fucker!!!

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Help I am running out of ports on my 24p home network switch

Terminating a bunch of cat5e with a nice sharp punchdown tool is oddly therapeutic, but also bad for the knees

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
what kind of garbage house needs 24 ports

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme
I have some consumer-level VDSL2 modem/router with one 1Gb port for my NAS/digitv-server. Thus normal desktop computer is connected through lowly 100 mbps port and everything else is on 2.4 GHz WLAN. The 2.4 GHz channels are congested af so maybe the next investment for me is a better VDSL2 box that has more 1Gb ports and 5 GHz transmitter.

ahmeni posted:

what kind of garbage house needs 24 ports
Maybe garbage house has multiple wall panel plugs for wired home network? :shrug:

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
just get a switch

Maximum Leader fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 6, 2017

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The Biggest Data I've worked on

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Smythe posted:

silver you stupind loving rear end in a top hat get off your drat couch and shag carpet and get on the mother loving coastliner and get up in here you loving piece of poo poo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! peer pressure is IN in 2017 Mother Fucker!!!

poo poo

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Rosoboronexport posted:

Maybe garbage house has multiple wall panel plugs for wired home network? :shrug:

this is some groverhouse socket every 6 feet level poo poo

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

r u ready to WALK posted:

Help I am running out of ports on my 24p home network switch

Terminating a bunch of cat5e with a nice sharp punchdown tool is oddly therapeutic, but also bad for the knees

just get a 48 port switch. no big deal

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

ahmeni posted:

this is some groverhouse socket every 6 feet level poo poo

A family friend is building a 6+ room house and I haven't counted how many wall plugs he has installed on it. Legal demands here require that there is a 2-socket RJ45 plug on each bedroom.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Rosoboronexport posted:

A family friend is building a 6+ room house and I haven't counted how many wall plugs he has installed on it. Legal demands here require that there is a 2-socket RJ45 plug on each bedroom.

where the gently caress do you live

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Rosoboronexport posted:

Good. A well wired house with like 3 outlets per bedroom plus an extra 3 per other room is fine and good.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

if you used thinnet you'd only have to run one cable

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Captain Foo posted:

where the gently caress do you live

Finland. Though I don't know if this is domestic or EU legislation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

clever ssids are passé. the new trend is clever ULA prefixes.

• Locked thread