Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
To See The First Goldmined Thread, click here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793353

OP's Edited Post:
WARNING : This thread's title has been voluntarily modified by Forum's moderators in order to express mockeries while inviting users to post defamation and/or insulting messages against HYPERDEVBOX by refusing original OP to close the thread. Since Moderators did already impersonate HYPERDEVBOX by changing our original thread title despite our original Title did not break any Forum's rules, without giving a clear notification to users that Thread's Title has been modified and the reason why it has been changed, the very same might/could apply to any post we made in order to flame the discussion.

HYPERDEVBOX

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX HYPERDEVBOX

VIVE LA REVOLUTION!

The Great Thread Opening and Closing War of 2017:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Feb 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
First updates of 2017!

• We have decided to lose the 3D characters in the dialogue screens, and change them in to something more closer to the original 2D designs. We are working very hard on this right now, and hopefully we will have something to showcase within a week.
  • We are working on a visual timeline that will show the first few chapters of the game.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

eonwe posted:

why did you even have to put that ignore list poo poo in your post tho

There is an older thread that just got full of crap talkers and just so much BS.

hyperdevbox fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 6, 2017

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

eonwe posted:

i dont know what this game is or who you are except that your posts are already really bad

Sorry, I thought that you knew about the older thread.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

randombattle posted:

I still think you're not showing what anyone is actually looking for in preview content and just ignoring advice you don't like. That's no way to run a kickstarter or successful game project.

I am not ignoring any advice! We take in to consideration all of your suggestions, and the ones that we agree on should hopefully be implemented in the game. These things take time!
One of the biggest suggestions/complaints about Thermidor, was the 3D characters in the dialogue screen. And we are now actually working on changing it completely!

Regarding the preview content, it exists everywhere, and with a simple search, one can find all the screenshots and graphics that we have of the game thus far. Not to mention, the Indiegogo page has ALL of it.
I wanted to keep this thread simple and un-cluttered, with straight-forward conversations and updates.
And hopefully (fingers crossed) no foul language.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

jizzy sillage posted:

poo poo, you mean i can't swear in your loving thread?

I'd rather you didn't.
But it all depends on the context...

GunnerJ posted:

Question: Why are you titling a French Revolution game that takes place in 1789 and self-consciously sets out to be "the beginning" with a name that unavoidably calls to mind the events of 9 Thermidor Year II (July 27, 1794) when the most radical phase of the Revolution ended? Why are you combining Republican calendar months with Gregorian calendar years? Can we have at least one guillotine in the game so that this naming/dating choice makes even a little bit of sense?

GunnerJ posted:

Like I'll assume that we're actually talking about a span of time in the year 1789 that would be called the month of Thermidor later. Does the whole game take place between the days of July 19th and August 17th? Why, what's the focus point here? The biggest deal events I can think of in this time are the abolition of feudalism and the "Great Fear," although the later took place in scattered areas of the countryside whereas this seems to be a very Paris-centered game. We're too late for the fall of the Bastille and too early for the Declaration of the Rights of Man and Citizen. Does the game tell a story that connects these events? What is even going on.
  • We hope to make this game part of a series (hence, "The Beginning" for the first episode) that will end at Thermidor.
  • It sounds cool in Japanese (テルミドール).
  • It is a romance story that takes place during the French Revolution, and not a French Revolution game.

There might be some connections to real historical events, but at the moment we are focusing more about the story of the two main characters and their adventures together.

lalaland posted:

Whoa stop you're gonna make him cry

Fwiw the music was pretty good op

That's OK. Some people just don't understand how to convey opinions in a proper manner. I was actually going to reply to him, but then why should I reply to someone who tries to insult rather than bringing forward his point.
And as for the music, you should definitely check those two artists out (;

Kelp Me! posted:

I'm really just posting into the void since that moron probably already put me on ignore. Even if he didn't I don't expect any of what i said to actually make an impact, OP has clearly proven himself to be completely "LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU OUR GAME IS GOOD," his delusions are proven by the fact that he actually felt that people here gave enough of a poo poo to justify closing the last thread and opening this one

Again, talk like a respectable human being, and I will reply.
And "our game" is still in its infancy, so no one here claims that it is "good", as it hasn't been fully developed yet. But we are doing our best.

Kelp Me! posted:

It's blatantly obvious that OP isn't actually looking for any feedback and is just interested in shilling the game, so he should probably be banned anyway
Well then you are blatantly delusional.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Nuns with Guns posted:

hyperdevbox: right now how optimistic are you that your game is going to get funded through the current campaign? what mistakes do you think you've made so far in marketing your game? what intelligent choices do you think you've made in marketing it?

For this current campaign, I can't say we are too optimistic, but that is irrelevant, as we are going to continue working on this game and find ways to help us fund it one way or another.
This is our first ever crowdfunding campaign, and none of us are experts in the field. We've made some mistakes in marketing the game and presenting it, but have definitely learnt a lot, and are working constantly to improve our pitch.
Marketing the game in three languages (soon four!) was a very good idea, as it is helping in gaining a larger audience in countries where English isn't very strong (Japan & France).

Nuns with Guns posted:

also how many people are on your ignore list right now?

Sadly, a lot.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

DropsySufferer posted:

Really? That is the biggest complaint you have currently accepted about Thermidor...

Instead of blaming others and taking everything as a personal insult maybe consider a concept called constructive criticism. I mean really you have argued with some people here who develop games for a living and were trying to help you. You've been willing to tell an AAA game dev that you know better than they do it. Your $800 bucks on kickstarter sure proves that...

A real "adult" is someone mature enough to not be personally mentally heartbroken over internet horseplay and jokes.
A mature person is willing to take constructive criticism and willing to learn from her mistakes and most importantly be willing to admit they are wrong and own up to their mistakes.

Anyway time for you to be an "adult" and put any opinion you don't like on to the ignore list.
Jokes aren't an adult thing they are they? Oh dear.

Can you please tell me the difference between these two comments -
"Your game seems to be lacking a lot of bla bla and I think you should bla bla"
"Your game is poo poo. gently caress you OP"

Person 1 will get a reply no matter what he says.
Person 2 will get ignored.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Greaseman posted:

What are your plans in the increasingly likely scenario that the crowdfunding campaign fails?

Try again and again to find ways to fund the game.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Corbyn posted:

What are you going to do when you don't get funded? You haven't had any donations for about a week now and you're at $800/$25000. Unless you somehow start racking up $10k a day you're dead in the water. Do you have any alternative means of finding this? Don't you think the lack of interest in funding this is going to be reflected by a lack of sales? Do you think it might be best to cut your losses and just make Real Snowglobe 2?

That's very funny.
I don't think there is lack of interest in the game, but rather a lack of sufficient outreach.
I truly believe that the concept of the game is very cool, and since we will do our very best to make the game lots of fun to play, we have confidence that it will be successful.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I'll let you know when we know.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Greaseman posted:

You're very dismissive of the local 'posting culture', and it paints a bad picture. Even if someone is using 'foul language', they often do have a point in there worth responding to. You're asking people to give your game the benefit of the doubt when they have scant information, but you don't seem to do that for their posts.

Yes, you are right, if someone uses foul language but has a good point worth responding to, I definitely will. But if someone tells me that my game is poo poo, and I am poo poo, and poo poo this gently caress that, why the hell should I even respect his comment with a reply?

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Corbyn posted:

You know I just figured out who Ron's dismissive attitude, unwarranted sense of superiority, dogged determination to get his vanity project published and inability to handle criticism reminds me of

The person you are referring to was not Ron, I am. And I have no problem handling criticism.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

GunnerJ posted:

The only thing here that approaches a reasonable answer is that "It sounds cool in Japanese" which, given how much you hype this up as a trilingual game, seems kinda dumb.

Seriously, though. I'll accept that you're doing the horseshit thing where a politically charged historical event is just a backdrop for a mundane story that could be set in any time and place. You're still nonetheless setting it during the French Revolution. Why not, idk, "Fructidor"? Or literally any other title that actually conveys what this game is about, since this game is not about the end of the Reign of Terror? You're saying the series ends in Thermidor Year II, but this just makes it more confusing that it's the title of the first game. Wouldn't "Thermidor" be a better subtitle for that last game than the name of the whole series? Not trying to be mean here but you're maybe a bit too optimistic about this series taking off if you're naming the whole thing after its last episode. In the meantime, you still have to sell the first.

And on that note: I'm just gonna just toss this out there as a huge French Revolution nerd, but you're probably deeply alienating to large segments of any potential customer base for a video game set in the French Revolution by treating it as this hodgepodge widow dressing for a buddy adventure story. Like I grew up playing JRPGs and I love this time period, this game should be extremely my poo poo, but your approach just leaves me cold and uninterested. Just make a Les Miserables game, I am pretty sure the original novel is in the public domain.

There are plenty of reasons we decided to go with that period of time, and go with that setting. And our writer is working hard on creating an engaging story for the game that will have a deep connection to that era. He might (probably will) include some historical events and connect them to the main story.
Even though the game has a working playable engine and complete characters designs, it is still in its late concept to early development phase. which means ANYTHING (including the name of the game) can change at any time, because we have the freedom to do so.
A JRPG fan who's also a French Revolution nerd is exactly who we want to hear from, and you never know, this game might be exactly your cup of tea!
So please stay in touch, and more than anything, please be patient. This game is in its infancy and will take a long time to develop, so your continued communication with us is genuinely appreciated.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

DropsySufferer posted:

For person 1 There's a difference between replying and having an actual dialogue. You only want to hear your opinion. When given to suggestions contrary to that you avoid and defect. Life isn't an echo chamber of approval and agreement and the only way you are going to find that online is to create your own forum and private small echo chamber.

For person 2 Most posters aren't saying that directly. If you were that hated you would have been banned here by now. What your comment shows me is that you are insecure about this game. If you want to share or present any idea, you have to be open to being attacked or criticized especially online. This is something you need to learn to accept and just deal with. EVERY developer gets criticized and attacked it's part of the job. The fact that you have to ignore comments shows they bother you when it shouldn't. Who cares what idiots online think? Why let that get to you.

My feedback to you is: Really the biggest problem with your campaign/game is there is nothing to show. If you had a working demo or anything of substance there could be a discussion but all we have a few screenshots and that's it.

If you want to be really be taken seriously provide a playable demo or heck even a 30 minute gameplay video but there's no substance here. Unless your name is Chris Roberts, you can't expect get 250,000 off an idea only without showing working gameplay. [/serious]

Anyway I kinda want this mini-guillotine but $20 is a little too much would be cool though.

Agreed.
Though you'll have to wait a few months for that playable demo.
When the game gets funded (one way or another), I will personally buy you that DIY circumciser.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

GunnerJ posted:

OK, so here's my communication:

1. Change the title to something that makes sense to this game as opposed to some hypothetical future final game in a series OR
2. Add guillotines to the game in some capacity

(Actually do both though.)

Note taken!

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Nuns with Guns posted:

actually I have a few more questions: the guy running your account here is the composer for the game, right?
Right!

Nuns with Guns posted:

why pick a video game composer over a professional PR person?
Are you saying I should be fired? No, but seriously, without getting in to too many private inside details, each of our staff members does a lot of things on top of his expertise (in my case music and sound design), including PR, translations, design and more.

Nuns with Guns posted:

have you consulted with PR people fluent in the languages and cultures to see how you can best attract people to fund you?
Yes! And we still are.

Nuns with Guns posted:

what outreach steps have you done besides making posts here and some other video game forums?
Social networks etc' - Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, Google+ and more recently Tumblr.
Different crowdfunding or gaming websites posts/reviews like this one
Press releases and so on.
There is still a lot of work to be done in that area.

Nuns with Guns posted:

why pay to register an account here of all places?
Our CEO certainly regrets that LOL.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Wait does this game you're crowdfunding not have a complete outline of the story ready?
Not complete yet, no.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Reiterpallasch posted:

Hi, OP! Since you seem to be very interested in only talking to people with some kind of credentials, I am a developer on a project that has more app downloads than everything HyperDevBox has published, combined! I hope this qualifies me to talk to you about your development pipeline!

1) In my professional experience with mobile gaming projects, both direct and indirect, you have gone public and requested crowdfunding at an extraordinarily early stage in development. I am aware that you may have special circumstances, but you have not explained those circumstances in your pitch. Is there a reason for this?
2) In my professional experience with mobile gaming projects, both direct and indirect, 14 months is an extremely long amount of time to have gone between beginning the project and being at the "late concept" phase. Is there a reason for this?
3) In my professional experience with mobile gaming projects, both direct and indirect, I would have expected to see day-0 outreach to various gaming journalism sites. Many of them will pretty much publicize your press release for you, no questions asked, and still somehow get significant traffic. Is there a reason you've chosen not to do this?
4) Do you seriously expect to hire an experienced mobile developer for an office in Ikebukuro for the equivalent of $28k US per year?

I am not only interested in talking to people with "some kind of credentials". I am interested in talking to people who are genuinely interested in this game and its setting, JRPG lovers in general, and people who converse in a mature manner.

1) Yes, I think that once a person reads through our campaign page and watches the pitch video, he can clearly see how small our company is, so I personally don't think there is need to further explain these "circumstances".
2) Yes, there are many reasons for this. But since these are private matters, I don't see any reason to go in to details.
3) Who said we haven't?
4) As a person with professional experience with mobile gaming projects, both direct and indirect, you should know that is none of anyone's business.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Original_Z posted:

I still want to know why you went with IGG instead of Kickstarter considering KS has a much larger reach, most people won't even bother looking at the game if it's under IGG, whether or not it's fair is irrelevant, it's just fact. Videogame projects have historically been much less successful on IGG, especially with the budget you're shooting for. Also, why $30 for the game? That's much more expensive than the typical buy-in for this type of game on a crowdfunding site. It's not in an "impulse" territory that many of these projects thrive on.

We know very well how better Kickstarter is for games than IGG. But as I've mentioned before, Kickstarter, unfortunately doesn't currently accept accounts from Japan.
There is an Early-Bird perk for $30 that includes the game with fast track access, the OST, a digital artbook, wallpapers and website credits. That is a pretty good deal if you ask me.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

OP you didn't answer my questions in the last thread so I'll repeat them here:

1) If you weren't going to spend any money on advertising why did you go with IndieGoGo and not Kickstarter for funding? You campaign page isn't good by any stretch of the imagination but it looks kind of glossy, and Kickstarter's internal marketing would have got you a lot more pledges based just off that and the anime pictures. Not quarter of a million worth but way more than $800, which should be embarrassing to you if you're running PR.

2) If you were going to go with IGG and you're making this game anyway, why didn't you go for flexible funding? You guys seem like the sorts to do that anyway, may as well go all in.

1) Who said we weren't spending money on advertising? And as mentioned a few times already, KS doesn't accept Japanese accounts, so we went with Indiegogo.
2) Ignoring your sting at the end there, flexible funding is not for big budget games like Thermidor. our goal is the amount needed in order for us to be able to complete the game, and there is no point on settling for anything less than that.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Just saying, I appreciate your answers to all my questions in the previous thread about the gameplay, and you should really do a writeup on the battle system and a video or series of pictures showing how it works. I can't say I speak for everyone here but I for one am unlikely to even consider pre-ordering a game without first seeing a working prototype. As a potential video game-buying customer, I agree with jizzy sillage's analysis of your reply to reiterpallasch's questions. They way you have answered them is extremely defensive, gives little information, and makes me suspicious of your ability as a development company to actually produce and release a complete, enjoyable product.

I agree. But for the moment, any updates in the development of the game (gameplay, battle system, etc') will have to be announced as updates to the campaign page. Thermidor and its campaign is a work in progress, and we are sharing every single step in the development and completion of the game.

Crazy Achmed posted:

There is a 90s tactical combat game called Shadow Watch that has a vaguely similar interrupt/conterattack system to yours: you can assign unused action points to shooting at enemies that enter your line of sight, during their turn. If the enemy takes a path towards you that avoids your line of sight, they can attack safely without interruption. While it was overall a fun game, it did skew the game balance vastly in favour of the defender because it was easy to ensure a stealthy approach was impossible.

Yep, you are totally correct. I mention shadow watch as it's a particularly extreme example of this leading to half-baked gameplay: the player characters (and enemies alike) had relatively few hit points - you could only take two or three bullets before being very dead - and because of this it was almost impossible to enter a room with just a couple of guards watching the doors. Most maps were best handled by finding a way to manipulate the enemy AI to come to you, or finding a way to operate extremely stealthily. I'm wondering if the OP will comment on how their system will avoid this kind of gameplay problem.

That's a very valid point you make. I hate it when in certain games you have to rely on a specific aspect of the game in order to finish it, and can't play more freely and actually THINK of original ways to complete a stage.
Some TD games have this problem, where if you don't place towers on a specific place on the map, or if you don't use your budget precisely like the developer intended you to use, you can't complete the level. This totally sucks, and leaves no room from strategic planning, but just leaves you trying to figure out what the developer of the game wanted you to do.
In Thermidor's case, we are planning on having our "DAS" feature be part of the game in a balanced manner, rather than something you rely on in order to succeed in the game. As much as we want this game to be challenging for the player, at the same time we want it to be fun.
There will be many ways in which one can approach an enemy without being detected - having another group member do something to distract, or perhaps throwing an object to a different location on the stage.
Also, the whole "getting detected by the enemy" thing will be a matter of probability in Thermidor. Certain paths will have a higher percentage of getting detected, while others less.

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

they will hit $802 by the end of the campaign at this rate

oh hey OP, two stickied threads! Congrats, I think it means the mo-mos appreciate what you're doing here even if most of us ingrates don't seem to.

Thank you ?

Sole.Sushi posted:

On a personal note to Ron/not Ron: I can understand a level of anxiety when people are leveling even legitimate criticism over something you've poured many hours into. But, by putting yourself and your company out there and asking the populace for funding (which includes everyone in this thread), you have also opened yourself up to questions, criticism and complaint. This isn't something you can avoid, but the way you handle it says volumes about you, which in turn reflects upon your company as you are their PR person.

In your case, for every question you answered legitimately there were tons more questions you replied to with snark, defensive posturing and outright unprofessional conduct; what that says to me is that you, personally, cannot be trusted to handle investments. As an appointed public relations official by your own company, this in turn means that your company cannot be trusted to handle investments.

Perhaps the most short-sighted thing here is that, seeing as the internet is an archive, no matter where you go to advertise (or in this case pander) your conduct here will be brought up every single time. Let's say you get lucky, and a games media outfit shows interest in putting out an article about your game. The first thing they are going to do is look into you and your company. A quick Google search of "Thermidor Game" will bring up this thread, and with it, many more questions that are far more pointed than anything seen here will be asked. How will you handle that?

tl;dr
Everything about your sales pitch, from your Indegogo webpage (which is busy and screams "amateur art project") to your reactions and conduct on this forum not only make me unwilling to invest, but should I hear others talking about this project at a later date, this thread will be the first thing I'll recall about this game and your company. Make me and everyone else in this thread give one drat about this game of yours, and do it in a manner that isn't pretentious or simply posting a link to a crowdfunding page. Why should you do this? Because, apparently, it's your drat job.

That guy was fired.
Until we hire any PR guy or gal, I will try and do my best.
Wish me luck?

Rough Lobster posted:

OP please screenshot and post your ignore list! I need some juicy ignore list screenies!

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

nerdz posted:

OP, how is it like to be an expat living the dream of moving to japan and making games?

It's freakin GREAT.

Sole.Sushi posted:

My favorite ending is when Ron shows up and saves the day, all mary sue style then puts the evil people who look an awful lot like everyone on his ignore list into the guillotine.

That is not a bad idea...

Rough Lobster posted:

OP is your full name Ronald? If so, why do you choose to go with the cookie-cutter nickname Ron when you could use the daring and innovative Nald?

My full name is Ron, which means "dragon" in chinese, "cheerful song" in Hebrew, and "theory" in Japanese.
Quite happy with that.

Axetrain posted:

You know the French revolution wasn't a whimsical adventure and actually was super violent and terrifying right?

Totally crazy times!

Craptacular! posted:

I think that Ace of Spades was Motorhead's best album, but my friend thinks it's Orgasmatron. Which of us is right?

(EDIT: Okay, serious question: Why are you targeting Android first when iOS is proven to be where the money is and where piracy is far less easily enabled?)

Not a big fan of Motorhead, sorry. I used to be a huge metalhead though, and Pantera for me were just the most amazing group of musicians in the world. Luckily, my taste in music has changed vastly (:
Check these guys out - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGjt2btKAUE

Oh, and the game will be released for iOS as well.

The Crusher posted:

At first I thought "Ooh, this poor foreign dude doesn't have a really good grasp of internet tendencies, let alone the Something Awful forums", but for as much as this has developed and for as dedicated HDB as a whole seemingly have been with these and other promotions I'm assuming they're just jerks who happen to be developing a game.

Ron, this is serious advice. No insults or jokes or whatever intended.

1.) I would refrain from attempting to crowd fund your game until you have something resembling a semi-finished product. Like most kick-starters or indie go go's that I've seen (not just related to video games), there's already a tangible product ready to be used or tested that can be judged. The money requested for those is usually to generate the means to distribute or to get a hold of interest. With as little as you're presenting you'll find almost everyone saying "I can't find reason to drop $30 on this.". It sucks, you may feel underappreciated, but when marketing something to people who don't know a thing about you or your company, the burden of overwhelming them with a good product comes on you.

2.) Check out The Making Games Megathread. Note, this is NOT A PLACE TO ADVERTISE OR SHILL YOUR GAME. Do not click here pointing to your indiegogo or trying to rally supporters. This is a place to ask questions about developing and look for advice. You consistently remind people you're a small team who can't do all the poo poo a big company can. There's more and more games these days that are more or less 1-person jobs. If you're experiencing struggles in management, workforce priorities, opinions of your game's music/3D models/Storyline, this might be a place to look into.

3.) Understand that Something Awful has a paywall so a lot of people look to the forums as a place to receive a slightly more realistic and unbiased answer and discussion on subjects. It stops everyone with the limb strength of holding a tablet from jumping in to tell everyone how gay they are and which game sucks. That being said, it's not every day someone (usually with a fresh account/registration date) comes in and starts to shill a game that they support or are making. I'm sure it could be done tastefully and humbly, but I really don't see that too often. Considering the state of your current game, which is to say there's not much state to properly judge aside from anime here and there, it's a pretty easy target for mockery. If you're adamant about asking for advice here, the best thing to do is take guillotine and obviously sarcastic remarks meant to antagonize your easily antagonize-able thin skin with stride and take any and all advice with a thank you, whether you agree with it or not. (Also don't respond with too many " ;) " or " ^^ " faces, lest you set yourself up for more mockery. This is a really cute thing in Japan/Korea, but generally you'll just look like an rear end in a top hat otherwise.)

Seriously best of luck.

Thank you for the good advice, I agree with a lot of what you said.
I will check out the Making Games thread, thanks!
And yes, we are well aware of our current situation, and are looking at all of our options.

Stumpus posted:

Don't you know that the jerky guy isn't Ron? Ron is the cool guy who posts and is super knowledgeable.

:blush:

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Corbyn posted:

Ron, why did you name your band Balangist? That sounds suspiciously similar to Falangist.

Balaganist means "messy person" in Hebrew.
And sounds nothing like Falangist...

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
We've been working on an animated intro for Thermidor, which shows the events preceding the start of the game.
It is still a draft, but check it out, and let me know your thoughts!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgjS532bsJE

hyperdevbox fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 10, 2017

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SniperWoreConverse posted:

How do you envision the final quality intro?

We will do our best to make it look absolutely beautiful!

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SniperWoreConverse posted:

C'mon man, gimme some deets I can really sink my teeth into.

And if you know Hebrew and love games for nerds, you might want to check out the forums game Paradise Lost. We're deciding the best way to kill a giant scorpion creature because it doesn't love El.

Now that's a JRPG setting I'd be heavily into. France is cool, but drat, totally ripped muscle dudes, giant monsters and stuff? Piety and all that kinda noise? Intrigue? Secrets? No real idea what's going on around you? Could rock the world of tactical Japanese role playing games.

Sorry, there aren't many deets I can give you about the animation. We've created this draft with the music for now, and at some point will continue working on it. Right now, to be honest, we are working on more important things, such as - Changing the dialogue screen characters to a better looking 2D character animation, and on other parts of the game that will better showcase it.

Regarding the giant scorpion monster, there is only one way to kill him - build a giant guillotine and lure him to it using a freshly boiled lobster!

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Corbyn posted:

Are you actually working on the game? Are you a programmer in addition to a musician? Truly a modern day renaissance man.

Thank you!
Actually, I do a lot here at HyperDevbox, but programming is not one of them.
When the game gets funded (one way or another), all I will be doing is focusing on creating a great soundtrack for the game, and that is where my real passion is.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Corbyn posted:

His very first post introduces himself as Ron.

He also PMed me a link to his SoundCloud for some reason

There is a reason it's called a "Private Message", so it is not to be shared publicly.
But you had to go and do that... with a screenshot and all! :doh:
The reason I sent you a link to one of my band's tracks is because you said it was lovely (I'm presuming before even listening to it), so I thought that maybe after you gave it a listen you might change your mind.
But now you've ruined all of that, so never mind.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

You didn't what?

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Corbyn posted:

Change my mind

OK!

Anyway, the 2D animations for the dialogue screen are looking good, and it looks like we should be able to showcase them by Thursday!
We have also added some new cooler looking images to better introduce the characters, and also an improved timeline showing the first four battle stages.

I'll keep you updated!

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The first four battles of the game!

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Baron Corbyn posted:

Wait, the police investigate the tavern to find the girl? But in that opening video they search it before she gets kidnapped.

The scene in the opening video, where the police come to Leandre's house, has nothing to do with the kidnapping!
Leandre always gets in to trouble with the police...
And after he manages to escape from them, he meets Armandine for the first time. They go out and enjoy each other's company for most of the day, until she suddenly gets kidnapped by unknown men.
And that's when the game begins.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

raditts posted:

So the police show up... And they fight the police? Then more police show up and imprison whoever doesn't get slaughtered on the spot, how does that lead to the next battle?

At the beginning of the game, the police (to be accurate, the king's Swiss guards) show up to investigate the disappearance of Armandine, and ask to search the tavern. But Leandre asks them to wait until his father comes back so they could talk to him instead.
Thus, the first "battle", which is also a kind of tutorial stage for the game, would be Leandre trying to buy time until his father comes back. And since this is a Tactical JRPG, it means there will be some sort of battle.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Greaseman posted:

Are the ???s meant to indicate you haven't figured out what happens at that point, or that you're teasing us with the promise of things happening?

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Crazy Achmed posted:

Thanks for tellng us more about the battle system. Will the player's success depend heavily upon the stealth elements, or is that more of just a nice bonus? Also, is there much of a reliance on character stats versus their equipment, and if so is there a mechanism to let players 'grind' to level up between major battles?

Thank you for your comment!
The stealth elements will be an important part of the attack, and will make it easier to approach an enemy, but definitely not something the player will have to rely on in order to succeed in the game. As I've said before, Thermidor will be challenging to a certain extent, but hopefully always fun to play.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Also, is that a sketch of Armandine threatening her captor with a sword? I wasn't aware that two-handed swords were still in use during the French revolution - and nobody trained in fencing would ever two-hand a one-handed weapon like an infantry sabre/spadroon/etc. They also wouldn't be standing with their body squared towared their opponent... unless she's got her hands on a Japanese katana somehow and is also skilled with that?

That's a very good observation! But I'm sorry to disappoint you, as Golden Goat said, it's a stick!
She wakes up in a dark room, not knowing how she got there and who took her, but she still decides to fight off the guards and grabs the stick, which is the closest thing to a weapon she could find.

Aardark posted:

Ron, isn't Kickstarter available in France? Couldn't your CEO have used a French bank account? Getting 240k would be out of the question either way, but you'd be doing better than on Indiegogo. Aren't you starting to question the leadership of your company after seeing how the campaign's turning out?

Is it wrong that I'm imagining you as the girl in your avatar?
Anyway, don't answer that, I'd rather not know the truth...

As for your question, we are looking at all of our options at the moment, and KS might be one of them.
We are WELL aware of the benefits of having a campaign for a game on KS rather than IGG.

weak wrists big dick posted:

will there be collectibles in this game, similar to Fallout: New Vegas?

Yes!

Thursday Next posted:

I am a software engineer with almost 20 years of industry experience so I can critique you I think?

Please do. All of you can critique!

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dramatika posted:

I like RPGs and whatnot, but you desperately need to take a look at this trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh5CB2lnZ7c
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1535515364/pathologic
This is a teaser for a remake of a game called Pathologic. The original won multiple game of the year awards in its' home country of Russia when it came out in 2005, and was featured in series of articles in multiple major gaming publications - Rock Paper Shotgun's 3 part feature on it was great. It was translated (poorly) and released in the US - it's considered somewhat of a cult classic, and is one of the darkest, grimmest story driven games out there, and the original was strong enough to be played even with the poor translation and somewhat grindy gameplay. It was made by a company named Ice Pick Lodge, who've created a second award winning game, called The Void.

In 2014, they launched a Kickstarter to fund a remake of Pathologic, from the ground up, in a new engine, actual translators, and the knowledge they've gained in nine years of game development. The above is the trailer they put out as a teaser.

They already had a fully developed story, characters, and map from the original. They already had a cult following. They had an extremely well done trailer that made anyone who had played the original game, and especially anyone who had given up on the original game due to aged graphics and shoddy translation, extremely excited. This was a known, respected game company asking for help to go back and remake their magnum opus, in the way they originally envisioned it.

This game earned $330,000 in it's kickstarter.

Here's another example - Darkest Dungeon - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1460250988/darkest-dungeon-by-red-hook-studios
Darkest Dungeon is a unforgiving, brutal dungeon crawler with 2d paper cutout style artwork. All of its' gameplay systems were clearly explained, if not thoroughly, enough to excite and give people an idea what gameplay would be like, in the original pitch - and the trailer clearly displayed a coherent theme, and showed multiple gameplay segments in different areas, featuring different mechanics.

This game, which loving owns by the way, asked for $75,000 as it's goal, and made $313,000 in crowdfunding.

I want you to take a look at these two kickstarter trailers and feature lists, and ask yourself - how does your trailer, credibility, and promo material stack up to games that actually make the money you are asking for? These games show the kind of work that needs to be already done in order to convince people to spend that kind of money - not a 2 minute tech demo and a song with a storyboard.

Also, I'm pretty sure there's a guillotine somewhere in Darkest Dungeon.

First of all, I'd like to say that I highly appreciate your input.
Observing such successful campaigns like Pathologic and Darkest Dungeon, amongst others, is definitely something we can learn from, and to be honest a bit reassuring. Let me tell you why. Very similarly to these game developers, HyperDevbox too has a large following and fans that have stuck with us throughout the years, and are always excited to hear about any new games from our studio, which means that potentially we should've had a good start to the campaign. But unfortunately, and as many here and on other forums have pointed out, we did not have enough to showcase, therefore the campaign was a disaster.
There are other reasons why this current campaign will not succeed, but there is no need to mention them here.

But this whole journey in the past 4 months or so, was a huge learning experience for everyone here at HDX, and we feel very confident about our next steps towards funding Thermidor. And also thanks to people like you, who give us great insights and helpful advice, weather it's something we are already aware of or not, it always helps solidify our knowledge in this crazy world of crowdfunding.

Things are changing all the time here, and we are steadily moving towards showcasing the game better, and towards the next steps.

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
:pcgaming: I'm very excited to announce that we have decided to add guillotines to the game!!! :pcgaming:

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
nah, just kidding
:flipoff:

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

sethsez posted:

You've got to have SOMETHING meaningful to show.

I don't know why some people are getting the impression that we haven't released any games, and only did porting for Android...
Here is a list of the main titles we have developed:
  • Matchiiz
  • Indy 500 Arcade Racing
  • ExZeus
  • ExZeus 2
  • LoveCatch

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

this is a stickup posted:

to be fair, you really shouldn't be telling people you developed those. stick with ported, it looks better

Why is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperdevbox
Aug 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

sethsez posted:

I played the ExZeus games when they came out. They were neat for the time but don't demonstrate the ability to handle anything resembling the kind of scope that you're trying to fund here. And while Indy 500 is a pretty cool little 90s Sega racing homage, it also doesn't really scream "potential tactical RPG developer" to anyone.

Given that I've played three of the five games you listed, and enjoyed a couple of the games you ported, and find the French revolution fascinating, and don't have an issue with it being trivialized for the sake of a different story, I'm about as close to being in your corner here as anyone's been thus far. But the extent of your interaction with tactical RPGs up to this point has been porting them, and the extent of your development up to this point (at least from what I've experienced) has been 90s arcade homages. There's nothing that indicates your ability to tackle a project of this scale, nothing that hints at the quality of your writing, nothing that implies you're even capable of making a generic tactical RPG, let alone one with an interesting twist on the format that would inspire me to put down money for this. Hell, why would I even go for this over one of the games you've ported?

You're acting like you've already proven yourself, but you really haven't. That's not to say you can't prove yourself, but you need to show more than you have to prove that you've got a coherent vision for this thing, and an idea for how it's going to play beyond merely stating what genre it falls into. You keep stating that you have reasons you're not along that far yet, which is fine... but that also means it's a really terrible time to start the campaign.

No one here is acting like we've proven ourselves already...
I don't understand what's wrong with showcasing the fact that we have ported big JRPGs to mobile and developed several games. This is just to show our experience in the gaming market. Isn't that better than having no experience at all? Are you saying that you would only consider backing a game by a company that already has experience in developing games in the same genre? That doesn't make any sense to me.
And yes, we realize that our timing wasn't great, and that we should've waited longer until we had more to showcase, but we believe that the concept of the game is attractive and cool, and we know we can make this game. But the only thing we need right now is support from people who would like to see this game come to life.

You can say that you would like to see this game released, or that you think the concept is cool/interesting, wish us luck and follow our progress. Or you can also critique our workflow, our game, or give us tips or ideas about our game, growing our community or about crowdfunding.
But I don't see the point in saying things like "I'm as close to being in your corner here as anyone's been thus far", as if you're expecting a big thank you from us for being the "only" guy who supports us.
:smugjones:

Prism posted:

I didn't get that impression.

I got the impression you released a few games, and wanted to make people think you had more to do with the others you only ported than you did, too.

We don't "want to make people think" anything. We are transparent about everything we've done.

Thursday Next posted:

Honestly, I had no idea you guys were responsible for porting some of my well-liked tactical JRPGs like spectral force. Did you guys port the psp / PlayStation versions of these games too, or just the android ones?

I'm actually a massive fan of anything tactical rpg. Haven't found a good one in years. I must have sunk a hundred drat hours into some of them (disgaea).

I wish there were some good tJRGs still.

Thank you! We are hoping to make Thermidor a GREAT Tactical JRPG. So just stay in touch! SA is a good place to be in contact with us and let us know if there is anything you would like to see in the game (:
Oh, and we did not port Spectral Force by Idea Factory, we ported Spectral Souls.

By the way, the new dialogue screen looks great. And I'll try to get a screenshot today so you can see what we've been working on the past week.
Also, we've been working on some concepts for new baddies for the game, and all I can say right now is that they look friggin cool, and are super evil... :dva:

• Locked thread