Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cobra_Commander
Jan 5, 2017

:siren:SHITPOSTER ALERT!:siren:

Put this Nazi-loving dipshit on ignore immediately!
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/05/politics/border-wall-house-republicans-donald-trump-taxpayers/index.html

did rednecks actually believe Mexico would be paying for this poo poo? My taxes better not go up because of this stupid wall that anyone with a ladder or shovel could get past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quincey
Feb 14, 2012
I never saw why Mexico has any motivation to pay for the wall. Is Trump going to fire off a couple of nukes if they don't? If this wall is built, Americans will pay for it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
trump made a lot of obvious, blatant lies in the course of his campaign and they'll get sorted out in time

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Obama just OK'd $128 billion on nuclear subs and current border patrol costs are around $10-15 billion a year. A fence upgrade is just par for the course.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Cobra_Commander posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/05/politics/border-wall-house-republicans-donald-trump-taxpayers/index.html

did rednecks actually believe Mexico would be paying for this poo poo? My taxes better not go up because of this stupid wall that anyone with a ladder or shovel could get past.

I wouldn't worry about the ladders and shovels. The sentry guns can take those out too.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Forget about infrastructure spending too. He'll probably take credit for the upgrades to JFK

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DeusExMachinima posted:

I wouldn't worry about the ladders and shovels. The sentry guns can take those out too.

Most real life antipersonnel sentry guns seem to have about a 3km acquisition range, varying between day and night.

The samsung model supposedly costs $200,000 per unit.

So, if the US/Mexico border is 3201km long, and we space the guns every 2.5km in order for them to be able to cover an area in front of the wall at maximum spacing, that puts the cost of the robo-annihilation wall at $256,080,000 for the guns alone.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

Most real life antipersonnel sentry guns seem to have about a 3km acquisition range, varying between day and night.

The samsung model supposedly costs $200,000 per unit.

So, if the US/Mexico border is 3201km long, and we space the guns every 2.5km in order for them to be able to cover an area in front of the wall at maximum spacing, that puts the cost of the robo-annihilation wall at $256,080,000 for the guns alone.

this wouldn't include eminent domain costs for the land near the border which would have to be purchased and vacated

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
To be fair, some US taxpayers are of Mexican descent.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Wow Trump lied what a shock. At least 8-10 billion worth of chain link fence (well double that to account for the inevitable corruption and outright theft) is a drop in the bucket as far as wasteful federal boondoggles go.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

boner confessor posted:

this wouldn't include eminent domain costs for the land near the border which would have to be purchased and vacated

You could set the turrets up along already publicly owned easements for power lines and just hook 'em up. If you fire over someone else's property you're only using the airspace so as long as Trump can get an FAA license for that he should be golden.

OwlFancier posted:

Looks like the air force is going to be getting 2,500 and a half F-35s.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

He said WALL not FENCE

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/VicenteFoxQue/status/817480450285375488

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
I mean no one had any reason to think that a serial liar and narcissist wasn't telling the truth during his campaign.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Gringostar posted:

I mean no one had any reason to think that a serial liar and narcissist wasn't telling the truth during his campaign.

well, there's the desperate, the stupid, the spiteful, etc.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

OwlFancier posted:

Not to support the idea or anything, but if that's accurate it's basically pennies in terms of US military spending. If it's that low, we can probably afford to go the extra mile and dig the Trench of Fire in front of the wall as well.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Cobra_Commander posted:

Didn't you hear? We're just fronting the cash, and will be reimbursed by Mexico later.
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/817329823374831617
It's great to see the famed negotiator at work. Put up all of the money first, and then demand payment from the counter-party that never even wanted the product at all. Really coming at them with a lot of leverage. How long do you think Mexico will hold out before they break under such superior dealmaking skill?

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

boner confessor posted:

well, there's the desperate, the stupid, the spiteful, etc.

also emails

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Owns

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

I like this guy.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Inferior Third Season posted:

How long do you think Mexico will hold out before they break under such superior dealmaking skill?

How long will they survive the inevitable spite blockade?

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Hell just cut out the middle man. As long as we're going full Hitler, just tell Mexico to build and staff the wall themselves on their side of the border. For every illegal that sneaks by the USAF drops one cluster bomb on Mexico City.

Kilano
Feb 25, 2006
- OCTOBER 22, 2016 -

DONALD J. TRUMP DELIVERS GROUNDBREAKING CONTRACT FOR THE AMERICAN VOTER IN GETTYSBURG

7. End Illegal Immigration Act Fully-funds the construction of a wall on our southern border with the full understanding that the country Mexico will be reimbursing the United States for the full cost of such wall; establishes a 2-year mandatory minimum federal prison sentence for illegally re-entering the U.S. after a previous deportation, and a 5-year mandatory minimum for illegally re-entering for those with felony convictions, multiple misdemeanor convictions or two or more prior deportations; also reforms visa rules to enhance penalties for overstaying and to ensure open jobs are offered to American workers first.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-releases/donald-j.-trump-delivers-groundbreaking-contract-for-the-american-vote1

It's always been the plan to make mexico pay for the wall after the fact.

He's still an idiot but cmon now

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kilano posted:

normally when people say "i'm going to order a pizza and steve will pay for it" what they dont really mean is "i'm going to order a pizza, pay for it, and then beg steve to reimburse me"

of course he backpedaled on the details after his embarassing trip to mexico but the language he's used was always a very forceful and blatant lie

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Kilano posted:

I'm sure Trump clearly said this fact every time he brought up that beautiful wall in his many speeches.

No one wants the loving thing if we're paying for it.

T8R
Aug 9, 2005
Yes, I would like some tea!
He's obviously setting up some kind of economic threat to Mexico in which he rewrites NAFTA and bullies American manufacturers into staying in America. Using this as leverage he will undoubtedly make Mexico pay for the wall. Maybe he'll throw in a pussy grab as well. Who knows.

:shrug:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

boner confessor posted:

Nor would it include the costs of getting the drat things there in the first place. A rather significant chunk of the border's terrain is so rough, remote, and difficult that it considers "inhospitable" a quaint thing that lesser terrain aspires to be. Gigantic swathes of it are of the "no one lives here and no one wants to" variety. You can really just fire up Google Earth and make a cursory glance at the border to get to "wow, that's going to be a pain."

Then if you want to actually patrol all of it good loving luck.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

lmao

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
It's not being built at all. The notion that domestic taxes will pay for it is a precursor to the entire promise being back-pedalled and shelved. Not doing it at all is far more palatable than raising taxes for it.

Also watch for Trump denying it was a promise at all. The wall was always pure snake oil.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
The wall already exists, but is only visible to true patriots.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Vincente Fox is cool and good, and a pro Twitter follow. He appears to just be trolling Trump for shits and giggles at least half the time, which makes him a good person.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Don't worry we'll save some cash by using prison labor, which some law enforcement officials have offered:

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a52073/inmates-build-mexican-wall/

haljordan fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 7, 2017

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

haljordan posted:

Don't worry we'll save some cash by using prison labor, which some law enforcement officials have offered:

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a52073/inmates-build-mexican-wall/

Can you politely decline hard labor and just spend all day in your cell being a lazy piece of poo poo? I think that would be my preference.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Volcott posted:

Can you politely decline hard labor and just spend all day in your cell being a lazy piece of poo poo? I think that would be my preference.

no, it could lead to you getting solitary. meanwhile your labor goes to profit all kinds of businesses. it's literally modern slave labor

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Condiv posted:

no, it could lead to you getting solitary. meanwhile your labor goes to profit all kinds of businesses. it's literally modern slave labor

I'm fine with solitary as long as I can NEET it up. I just wouldn't want them adding onto my sentence or anything.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Volcott posted:

I'm fine with solitary as long as I can NEET it up. I just wouldn't want them adding onto my sentence or anything.

Too bad prolonged solitary confinement makes you go so insane that you'll start chewing off your own fingers just to make the boredom go away. You're not exactly playing Xbox in there.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Volcott posted:

Solitary is considered torture because it drives people insane. Social isolation is psychologically devastating to the point that the rest of the world considers solitary confinement to be a level of torture you just don't do. There are also all sorts of other punishments you can get if you refuse the prison slave labor. Things like not being eligible for parole by some strange mystery I don't know how that happened! or extra time. Some prisons even charge you for being there so if you can't pay you have to work buuuuuuuut it just so happens that the only job available to you, as a prisoner, is $1.25/hour work for whoever is paying the prison this week.

Then if you refuse to work you end up with a ginormous debt to your name which you will never, ever pay off.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I've been saying to people that I expected Trump to go into an incompetence spiral and lose the support of even his most die-hard voters by the end of 2017, as what he promised and what is actually possible got into a collision.

I'm starting to think I was giving him too much credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Wanderer posted:

I've been saying to people that I expected Trump to go into an incompetence spiral and lose the support of even his most die-hard voters by the end of 2017, as what he promised and what is actually possible got into a collision.

I'm starting to think I was giving him too much credit.

At this rate he's not even going to make it to the inauguration.

• Locked thread