Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Cobra_Commander posted:

I voted for Trump, but he was the worst of the Republican candidates IMO. I voted for Little Marco in the primaries

Trump is still better than Old Crooked Hillary. But it was another Giant Douche versus Turd Sandwich scenario

My dad says the same thing.

He's also pissing his money away on some MLM cult that nobody can convince him to abandon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

People actually say Crooked Hillary?

Huh.

Turns out Trump voters are real

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Extensive Vamping posted:

Incidentally, a wall will not affect airplanes which make up the majority of illegal entry.

I didn't know that! Is this a case of people flying in legally then overstaying their visas?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

DeusExMachinima posted:

I didn't know that! Is this a case of people flying in legally then overstaying their visas?

Yes. That's the vast, vast majority of illegal immigration. Using a wall to prevent immigration has been an outdated strategy for like, thousands of years

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

DeusExMachinima posted:

Yes, or doing things not permitted by their visas. Unsurprisingly, this makes up the vast majority of illegal immigration from countries other than Mexico (and probably from Mexico too, but I don't have the numbers). And yet, inexplicably, Trump voters get most upset about undocumented Mexican and Central American immigrants, and not so much about Canadians or Europeans. I wonder... I wonder what it could be...

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PT6A posted:

Yes, or doing things not permitted by their visas. Unsurprisingly, this makes up the vast majority of illegal immigration from countries other than Mexico (and probably from Mexico too, but I don't have the numbers). And yet, inexplicably, Trump voters get most upset about undocumented Mexican and Central American immigrants, and not so much about Canadians or Europeans. I wonder... I wonder what it could be...
It's because Canadians and Europeans compete for jobs in Coastal Elite Territory, not Real America.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Acid Haze posted:

I'm kind of hoping that Trump builds the wall. Mainly so that it could be blown up/sabotaged and never completed. Why?

Because X Trillion dollars is worth it if Trump voters can have a visual referance for their stupidity in the future. A big, broken, blackened, smoking Trump analog that will be the bulwark of his legacy.

By this measure someone should really fly two airplanes into the dumb wall.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Trump could raise taxes, announce his new brand of luxurious abortion clinics with branches in every state to pick up the slack once PP goes, and declare french the official US language and he'll get nothing but applause and sage nods from the GOP base and pundits.

Apparently, americans will bear anythying from their political class. Unless you try to give them healthcare. Then they will descend upon you like locusts and strip you to the bone, then carve your likeness on the inside of every toilet for eternity as a warning to future hopefuls.

Social security used to be sacrosanct, since even W got sniped at when he tried fiddling with it, War on Terror jingoism or not. But I'm willing to bet that even that is on the table for taking now.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Sephyr posted:

Apparently, americans will bear anythying from their political class.

They drew the line at Clinton.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If I didn't know any better and listened to immigration nuts, I'd picture the US-Mexico border as being like something out of World War Z with people piling on top of each other to get over the line.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

julian assflange posted:

If I didn't know any better and listened to immigration nuts, I'd picture the US-Mexico border as being like something out of World War Z with people piling on top of each other to get over the line.

Same, but with fat Texans taking pot shots like that guy in Schlinder's List.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

PT6A posted:

Oh there's plenty of "a culture that's too different can't assimilate!" (while simultaneously considering Asian-Americans to be high achievers, go figure) but alot of it has to do with where most of the migrants are coming from. If millions of Europeans were coming over and taking Rust Belt jobs they'd be hated too.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 8, 2017

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

Orange Devil posted:

By this measure someone should really fly two airplanes into the dumb wall.

Why would you fly an airplane into something that's already on the ground?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Frogfingers posted:

I thought early 2000s style border crossings were pretty much over in the US. I read recently that deportations were far outstripping overland arrivals something like 10:1.

It's actually better than that. A hell of a lot of illegals that were here are actually going back as Mexico improves and America declines. If memory serves illegal immigration is actually at a net negative right now.

The other interesting thing is that nobody wants to talk about the root cause of illegal immigration. The wealthy just loving love hiring people here illegally under the table with hard cash because they can pay less than minimum wage and not have to pay all those pesky employment taxes that come with it. Entire industries rely on illegal immigrants doing the work to generate big profits.

Another really stupid side of it is that people get this image in their heads of migrant illegal Mexicans being here taking all our jobs by working cheaply but an absolute gently caress ton of people of Mexican decent doing that sort of thing are American citizens. People seem to forget that a poo poo load of Mexicans became Americans when America stomped Mexico and got a bunch of land back in the day. There were also times when moving in legally was far easier. A lot of Hispanic folks here don't speak Spanish and have never left America.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

the FBI on 9/10/01 posted:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Acid Haze posted:

~symbolism~

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Dear Andrew Joseph Stack III,

I am happy to see you are still alive despite the lying media falsely reporting your death. Please take this as an opportunity to live. It would be great if you didn't fly a plane into something.

Thanks.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Another really stupid side of it is that people get this image in their heads of migrant illegal Mexicans being here taking all our jobs by working cheaply but an absolute gently caress ton of people of Mexican decent doing that sort of thing are American citizens. People seem to forget that a poo poo load of Mexicans became Americans when America stomped Mexico and got a bunch of land back in the day. There were also times when moving in legally was far easier. A lot of Hispanic folks here don't speak Spanish and have never left America.
The territory America took was mostly empty though, which was probably the point. Had America wanted a bunch of Mexican Catholics it could have taken far more. I mean, sure, they would have made their numbers felt to a greater degree than them being equivalent to maybe 0.4% of the US population would indicate, being in a sparsely populated region, but I don't now if they would ever count as a poo poo load. It's roughly equivalent to half a years worth of immigration at the time.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 8, 2017

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

So what you're saying is we need to build a wall, AND hundreds of SAM sites to protect that wall from planes. This Wall thing is really starting to come together.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

DeusExMachinima posted:

Oh there's plenty of "a culture that's too different can't assimilate!" (while simultaneously considering Asian-Americans to be high achievers, go figure) but alot of it has to do with where most of the migrants are coming from. If millions of Europeans were coming over and taking Rust Belt jobs they'd be hated too.

Canadians and Europeans are, in some cases, coming and taking lots of jobs, and unlike Mexicans, it tends to be good jobs. Just like there are lots of Americans working in Canada, and Europeans working in Canada, and North Americans working in Europe, both legally and illegally, with a variety of either temporary or permanent immigration statuses.

Trump voters don't like Mexicans because racism. That's what it is. You can pretend it's about some nebulous "economic anxiety" but that's just not the case. No one was giving my white Canadian friend poo poo when he was working expatriate in Oklahoma, nor did anyone give a gently caress when another friend of mine was working on a NAFTA visa in the Bay Area.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Acid Haze posted:

You don't, and no one did :tinfoil:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

quote:

No one was giving my white Canadian friend poo poo when he was working expatriate in Oklahoma, nor did anyone give a gently caress when another friend of mine was working on a NAFTA visa in the Bay Area.

To be fair, though, the U.S. GDP per capita is $56,084, the Canadian GDP per capita is $43,413, and the Mexican GDP is per capita is $9,452, so when the employee is Canadian, so the effect on labor expenses becomes more about there being a wider applicant pool.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 9, 2017

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Acid Haze posted:

For Allah. Obviously.

And I never knew the Twin Towers hovered.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

PT6A posted:

Canadians and Europeans are, in some cases, coming and taking lots of jobs, and unlike Mexicans, it tends to be good jobs. Just like there are lots of Americans working in Canada, and Europeans working in Canada, and North Americans working in Europe, both legally and illegally, with a variety of either temporary or permanent immigration statuses.

Trump voters don't like Mexicans because racism. That's what it is. You can pretend it's about some nebulous "economic anxiety" but that's just not the case. No one was giving my white Canadian friend poo poo when he was working expatriate in Oklahoma, nor did anyone give a gently caress when another friend of mine was working on a NAFTA visa in the Bay Area.

It always seems to come back to racism with Trump voters, though it's not like they were ever subtle about it. They just knew that it's too calling out racism is seen as more taboo than any act of racism itself, so they get excused at all times.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

galenanorth posted:

To be fair, though, the U.S. GDP per capita is $56,084, the Canadian GDP per capita is $43,413, and the Mexican GDP is per capita is $9,452, so when the employee is Canadian, so the effect on labor expenses becomes more about there being a wider applicant pool.

To the person whose job is "stolen," does it really matter how much their replacement is getting paid? They are still getting $0, because they have no job.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

PT6A posted:

To the person whose job is "stolen," does it really matter how much their replacement is getting paid? They are still getting $0, because they have no job.

If your job is sufficiently "replaceable" by an immigrant, then your payscale trends towards the lower end of the curve.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Shbobdb posted:

If your job is sufficiently "replaceable" by an immigrant, then your payscale trends towards the lower end of the curve.

Lol yeah, PT6A's computer programmer buddies from Canada and Europe aren't 'stealing' American manufacturing jobs. He kind of missed that crucial point.

They might be working towards automating them away though

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

silence_kit posted:

Lol yeah, PT6A's computer programmer buddies from Canada and Europe aren't 'stealing' American manufacturing jobs. He kind of missed that crucial point.

Only one of them was doing tech work, the others were all in the oilpatch (along with most of the Americans I know working up here in Canada). The sorts of jobs that so-called "Real Americans" would do, I imagine.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

silence_kit posted:

I get that the US isn't Canada, but in general for white collar jobs worth having employers will actively trip over a thousand dicks to hire an actually qualified American. That isn't to say that they'd rather fill those middle positions with more HB1 slaves -- they absolutely would. But if you are fighting against HB1s then maybe you need a long look in the mirror because you are probably a huge rear end failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

DeusExMachinima posted:

Oh there's plenty of "a culture that's too different can't assimilate!" (while simultaneously considering Asian-Americans to be high achievers, go figure)
This is actually a big factor, specifically language. There are a lot of people who get completely driven up a wall by the increasing amount of Spanish-language stuff in the US.

• Locked thread