Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PT6A posted:

Yes, or doing things not permitted by their visas. Unsurprisingly, this makes up the vast majority of illegal immigration from countries other than Mexico (and probably from Mexico too, but I don't have the numbers). And yet, inexplicably, Trump voters get most upset about undocumented Mexican and Central American immigrants, and not so much about Canadians or Europeans. I wonder... I wonder what it could be...
It's because Canadians and Europeans compete for jobs in Coastal Elite Territory, not Real America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Another really stupid side of it is that people get this image in their heads of migrant illegal Mexicans being here taking all our jobs by working cheaply but an absolute gently caress ton of people of Mexican decent doing that sort of thing are American citizens. People seem to forget that a poo poo load of Mexicans became Americans when America stomped Mexico and got a bunch of land back in the day. There were also times when moving in legally was far easier. A lot of Hispanic folks here don't speak Spanish and have never left America.
The territory America took was mostly empty though, which was probably the point. Had America wanted a bunch of Mexican Catholics it could have taken far more. I mean, sure, they would have made their numbers felt to a greater degree than them being equivalent to maybe 0.4% of the US population would indicate, being in a sparsely populated region, but I don't now if they would ever count as a poo poo load. It's roughly equivalent to half a years worth of immigration at the time.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 8, 2017

• Locked thread