Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

boner confessor posted:

this wouldn't include eminent domain costs for the land near the border which would have to be purchased and vacated

Nor would it include the costs of getting the drat things there in the first place. A rather significant chunk of the border's terrain is so rough, remote, and difficult that it considers "inhospitable" a quaint thing that lesser terrain aspires to be. Gigantic swathes of it are of the "no one lives here and no one wants to" variety. You can really just fire up Google Earth and make a cursory glance at the border to get to "wow, that's going to be a pain."

Then if you want to actually patrol all of it good loving luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Volcott posted:

I'm fine with solitary as long as I can NEET it up. I just wouldn't want them adding onto my sentence or anything.

Solitary is considered torture because it drives people insane. Social isolation is psychologically devastating to the point that the rest of the world considers solitary confinement to be a level of torture you just don't do. There are also all sorts of other punishments you can get if you refuse the prison slave labor. Things like not being eligible for parole by some strange mystery I don't know how that happened! or extra time. Some prisons even charge you for being there so if you can't pay you have to work buuuuuuuut it just so happens that the only job available to you, as a prisoner, is $1.25/hour work for whoever is paying the prison this week.

Then if you refuse to work you end up with a ginormous debt to your name which you will never, ever pay off.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Hate to play retard's advocate here, but I feel like this is not gonna shock Trump supports very much. Many of them are probably satisfied with paying for it, as long as it gets done and consider all that Mexico bullying to be just the cherry on top.

Also, many people don't see a difference between Mexico paying up front or getting billed later and won't see this as Trump breaking his promise. In 8 years, Trump will still be "negotiating" with Mexico and his promise will still not be considered broken.

I feel like he is gonna come out this totally clean.

What he needs to stay on good terms with isn't his cult. He will never, ever lose his cult. Who he needs to stay on good terms with is literally everybody else. His cult is a pretty small minority and everybody else already hates him. His approval rating is at historic lows going in to his presidency and he hasn't even taken office yet.

There are even rumblings in the outskirts of his cult as white supremacists are disappointed that he isn't being as racist as promised while die hard Tea Party crazies are upset he won't actually be going after Hillary.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Frogfingers posted:

I thought early 2000s style border crossings were pretty much over in the US. I read recently that deportations were far outstripping overland arrivals something like 10:1.

It's actually better than that. A hell of a lot of illegals that were here are actually going back as Mexico improves and America declines. If memory serves illegal immigration is actually at a net negative right now.

The other interesting thing is that nobody wants to talk about the root cause of illegal immigration. The wealthy just loving love hiring people here illegally under the table with hard cash because they can pay less than minimum wage and not have to pay all those pesky employment taxes that come with it. Entire industries rely on illegal immigrants doing the work to generate big profits.

Another really stupid side of it is that people get this image in their heads of migrant illegal Mexicans being here taking all our jobs by working cheaply but an absolute gently caress ton of people of Mexican decent doing that sort of thing are American citizens. People seem to forget that a poo poo load of Mexicans became Americans when America stomped Mexico and got a bunch of land back in the day. There were also times when moving in legally was far easier. A lot of Hispanic folks here don't speak Spanish and have never left America.

• Locked thread