Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Vincente Fox is cool and good, and a pro Twitter follow. He appears to just be trolling Trump for shits and giggles at least half the time, which makes him a good person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

DeusExMachinima posted:

I didn't know that! Is this a case of people flying in legally then overstaying their visas?

Yes, or doing things not permitted by their visas. Unsurprisingly, this makes up the vast majority of illegal immigration from countries other than Mexico (and probably from Mexico too, but I don't have the numbers). And yet, inexplicably, Trump voters get most upset about undocumented Mexican and Central American immigrants, and not so much about Canadians or Europeans. I wonder... I wonder what it could be...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

DeusExMachinima posted:

Oh there's plenty of "a culture that's too different can't assimilate!" (while simultaneously considering Asian-Americans to be high achievers, go figure) but alot of it has to do with where most of the migrants are coming from. If millions of Europeans were coming over and taking Rust Belt jobs they'd be hated too.

Canadians and Europeans are, in some cases, coming and taking lots of jobs, and unlike Mexicans, it tends to be good jobs. Just like there are lots of Americans working in Canada, and Europeans working in Canada, and North Americans working in Europe, both legally and illegally, with a variety of either temporary or permanent immigration statuses.

Trump voters don't like Mexicans because racism. That's what it is. You can pretend it's about some nebulous "economic anxiety" but that's just not the case. No one was giving my white Canadian friend poo poo when he was working expatriate in Oklahoma, nor did anyone give a gently caress when another friend of mine was working on a NAFTA visa in the Bay Area.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

galenanorth posted:

To be fair, though, the U.S. GDP per capita is $56,084, the Canadian GDP per capita is $43,413, and the Mexican GDP is per capita is $9,452, so when the employee is Canadian, so the effect on labor expenses becomes more about there being a wider applicant pool.

To the person whose job is "stolen," does it really matter how much their replacement is getting paid? They are still getting $0, because they have no job.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

silence_kit posted:

Lol yeah, PT6A's computer programmer buddies from Canada and Europe aren't 'stealing' American manufacturing jobs. He kind of missed that crucial point.

They might be working towards automating them away though

Only one of them was doing tech work, the others were all in the oilpatch (along with most of the Americans I know working up here in Canada). The sorts of jobs that so-called "Real Americans" would do, I imagine.

• Locked thread