Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheSpamalope

by sebmojo
Hey dudes, I just wanted to practice makin' a thread. I don't do a real lot of postin' and that razamatazz but I worry about what could happen to my family in a crisis so I'm trying to learn some essential skills. This is a good place to practice postin' too. So yeah here we go. I'm gonna play some nba jam today. It's real weird actually I just bought it for the genesis and somebody was already using my initials, and their record is really good (6-1) so I was thinking why not just say it was me? I'm hoping if I show it to my family they will respect me more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
i used toward as a thread inspector and looks like everything here is up to code, nice work

Plebian Parasite

Last time I made a thread I made a lot of good rev up posts, but I think I overdid it and flooded the humor chamber and it wouldn't start up. I think the key is to shift to a higher lpm (laugh per minute) for the first few posts and then just let it sit and it'll eventually start up.

TheSpamalope

by sebmojo

Plebian Parasite posted:

Last time I made a thread I made a lot of good rev up posts, but I think I overdid it and flooded the humor chamber and it wouldn't start up. I think the key is to shift to a higher lpm (laugh per minute) for the first few posts and then just let it sit and it'll eventually start up.

I was trying to put together a post injection circuit that will use a sensor to determine if the thread is 'cold or 'hot' and tell the post injectors to widen or close. Sounds like this might lead to flooding the humor chamber though. Maybe this is retreading old ground.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

alnilam

I understand that post injectors are more capable and generally superior, but personally I'll take the simplicity, durability, and serviceability of a good old fashioned humoretor any day

That Robot

ask me anything about robots
i use the postomatic 5000 for automatic posting

Manifisto

spamalope, welcome to the mean streets of byob!

Luvcow posted:

i used toward as a thread inspector and looks like everything here is up to code, nice work

just fyi, it's considered polite to tip the thread inspector for a favorable report

also I see you don't have your emission sticker up yet (also known as an avatar). fluffie's newbie avvie thread is a good place to get that taken care of.

ty nesamdoom!

joke_explainer

Welcome, spamalope! Please start many threads and experiment with all kinds of fun thread combinations. Looks like you've bootstrapped a real fine machine here, too.

TheSpamalope

by sebmojo
Thanks for the feedback guys. I thought once the inspection was done I didn't have to jump through any more hoops, but now I'm hearing about this emissions sticker I need? They don't make it easy to get into this hobby.

I don't have anything as fancy as a Postomatic 5000, those are way way out of my price range. My grandfather had an ancient BBS input module hiding up in his attic which he let me take.

Here's a photo of it. There are actually two encoders working in parallel housed in the central reply unit. The quote transducer has been acting strangely, sometimes quoting normally, sometimes erratically. If I bang the side of the machine, the unit will 'echo' if that makes sense. I'm honestly surprised the forum accepts the module at all, since it's so old and outdated.

I've been cruising garage sales for the last few months and finally picked up a unit to power the input module:

Believe it not it fires up still, no problem. I think it's an OPmaker model, but I have no idea really. This sucker is slow though. It's going zero to OP in 57 seconds. Just unbelievably slow. Does anyone have any tips for working with this old hardware? Feel free to share your own rigs too, I'm still just learning so it's great to hear about what's out there and what your setups are like.

----------------

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
I'm still using this

Manifisto

I don't "post" so much as pass along whatever the monkeys hand me

man those guys can type fast

nice! I think they made a margarita accessory for that rig--pathetically low mpm, but if you can get your hands on one you can sip while you post, very byob

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
I hold my breath until I can see spots and then I assemble the spots I see into letters and take a wild guess as to what the letters are supposed to spell out and then I share that with you all is my posting style if anyone wanted to ask but didn't

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Also:

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

the littlest prince

it's getting real cold in these parts, which reminds me that i used to have one of those OPmakers. when it got cold out the thing would just shut down. i think the topical grease i was fedding it was hardening up when it got inside, but i never did find out the specific cause. here's a tip on how to fix it though, go to the store and get these things (now i know this is going to sound a little atypical but bear with me): a blanket, a bottle of white wine, 2 potatoes, a head of cauliflower, a package of bacon, a small bunch of chives, and a bag of shredded cheese, and a redbox rental of When Harry Met Sally.

what you're gonna need to do is whip up a baked potato soup, which you're going to enjoy with your OPmaker while sipping wine and watching a movie. that thing is going to fire right up once you get to the final scene.

the littlest prince fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 6, 2017

Manifisto

OBHALLOWEENBY?

idgi

alnilam

Finally someone develops a posting rig accessible to our friends in the spirit world

alnilam

When i go to my remote, off grid posting contemplation cabin i use a CW (i.e. morse) posting rig due to the low power consumption and superior SNR across long distances

Manifisto

alnilam posted:

When i go to my remote, off grid posting contemplation cabin i use a CW (i.e. morse) posting rig due to the low power consumption and superior SNR across long distances

it helps that byob posts are highly compressible due to the extreme prevalence of redundant data: recycled ideas, well-worn memes, and emptyquotes

the littlest prince

Manifisto posted:

it helps that byob posts are highly compressible due to the extreme prevalence of redundant data: recycled ideas, well-worn memes, and emptyquotes

TheSpamalope

by sebmojo

Splatmaster posted:

I hold my breath until I can see spots and then I assemble the spots I see into letters and take a wild guess as to what the letters are supposed to spell out and then I share that with you all is my posting style if anyone wanted to ask but didn't

This is fascinating stuff. It's easy to just get caught up in the tools of the trade, but I find the internal element very interesting, especially altered states of posting. My grandfather was deep into meme-mysticism in the 60's. I think what you're describing is part of the Sufi posting tradition? Keep sharing your journey friend.

I'm guessing because it's been colder than usual this winter, that would explain why the OPMaker is going so slowly, although it hasn't stopped entirely (yet). I'm going to attempt the solution already suggested to see if it improves the sluggishness.

I noticed a few of you shared digital posting solutions. What do you think about traditional mechanical posting? My great grandfather was an engineer in the 1920's and worked exclusively in the posting field. I've been told he was an important man but I don't know anything about that. Here's a photo of him working on one of the earliest posting machines. It was only capable of posting under a single gimmick at a time.

My family has been involved in the development of posting for generations. I didn't follow in my father's footsteps though, which is something I've been under constant criticism for.

----------------

Macnult

if i make a thread that's good enough my parents print it out and hang it up on the garage fridge (kitchen fridge is for good grades and artwork only)

Ultra Spoot

Just remember to warm up your threads before posting them if there's cold weather, gotta be able start your threads first to be a postin superstar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a misanthrope

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

That Robot posted:

i use the postomatic 5000 for automatic posting

same. here's a look at my shitpost production facility

• Locked thread