Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Apparently this hasn't been done before, for reasons I cannot fathom. So we're going to do it now. We're going to build and mis-manage a prison... together!

What is Prison Architect?

I guess, at its heart, it's a Tycoon game, but crossed with Dwarf Fortress. The latter provided a lot of inspiration for the developers, who made a very intricate game with a huge number of complex, interconnected systems. The game is not designed to be a "doomed to fail" game, but it can certainly be played that way, and losing is indeed very fun. We're going to, I hope, have plenty of aforementioned fun.

That's all I'll say about it here because more can be found elsewhere: The thread for the game is here, it's on Steam here, and here is the trailer!

How this will work

Like in any good succession game, goons will manage the prison on a rota. A staff rota, if you will. Goon jerkstoresup has graciously provided us with the initial build (his very first free-build prison!) to work from, and from that point on, goons will take over for 48-hour shifts (with hand-over at 2am). That's about an hour's play time (at normal speed), with enough time to intake prisoners, build poo poo, and change all the prison policies. A single mind can build a very efficient prison, but a hive-mind will surely face considerable trouble, as competing priorities get in the way and long projects are left pissing in the wind. Random events and the presence of prison gangs ("hard mode") will help tell the story of this prison's inevitable success!

There are three house rules we'll be working with:
  • No save-scumming: if an architect makes a mistake, own it.
  • A minimum intake of 4 inmates a day. Just to ensure we can't shut off the tap.
  • Don't be a dick by intentionally crippling the prison or by un-doing others' work (though repurposing built areas will be an inevitable requirement)
(was 4, but "Staff Needs" has come out of beta and now awaits one of our adventurous architects to 'activate' it in the save file...)

Otherwise, anything goes!

Roleplay is entirely optional. In my opinion the game doesn't lend itself too well to roleplay, unlike Dwarf Fortress (edit: I was very wrong about this), but I have made an attempt to kick things off.

Staff rota

The goons who will be architecting the hell out of this place are, so far:
  • jerkstoresup
  • JeremoudCorbynejad
  • wilderthanmild
  • Dareon
  • nielsm
  • Spookydonut
  • Jamsque
  • Tenebraise
  • Nettle Soup
  • Added Space
  • Pittsburgh Lambic
  • The Deviations
  • Godna
  • Veloxyll
  • Galaga Galaxian
If you want in, the only requirement is that you have a passing familiarity with the systems in the game. There are many, so this isn't quite a "pick up and go" kind of game, but you will enjoy your learning experience. Everyone enjoys their learning experiencing with Prison Architect. Shout in the thread if you want adding to the rota.

I hope you enjoy!

Updates and save files

All updates in the thread are linked below, with the end-of-shift save file (read-only archive; if you are playing you can post your file to a host of your choice for the next architect).

Initial build Save file - Day 2

Update 1 (JeremoudCorbynejad) Save file - Day 4
Update 2 (wilderthanmild) Save file - Day 6
Update 3 (Dareon) Save file - Day 8
Update 4 (neilsm) Save file - Day 10
Update 5 (SpookyDonut) Save file - Day 12
Update 6 | Video (Jamsque) Save file - Day 14
Update 7 (Nettle Soup) Save file - Day 16
Update 8 (Added Space) Save file - Day 18
Update 9 Part 1 | Part 2 (Pittsburgh Lambic) Save file - Day 20
Update 10 Part 1 | Part 2 (The Deviations) Save file - Day 22
Update 11 (jerkstoresup) Save file - Day 24
Update 12 Part 1 | Part 2 (JeremoudCorbynejad) Save file - Day 26
Update 13 (wilderthanmild) Save file - Day 28
Update 14 (Dareon) Save file - Day 30
Update 15 (neilsm) Save file - Day 32
Update 16 (SpookyDonut) Save file - Day 34
Update 17 (Tenebraise) Save file - Day 36
Update 18 (Nettle Soup) Save file - Day 38
Update 19 Part 1 | Part 2 (Added Space) Save file - Day 40
Update 20 Part 1 (video) | Part 2 (video) (The Deviations) Save file - Day 42
Update 21 (video) (Veloxyll) Save file - Day 44

Performance review (can't be bothered to keep this up...)

pre:
Architect               Profit
------------------------------
JeremoudCorbynejad      24,999
wilderthanmild         -17,211
Dareon                  30,824
nielsm                 -14,796
Spookydonut            -34,022
Jamsque                 51,973
Nettle Soup            -49,950
Added Space            -13,652
Pittsburgh Lambic       24,108
The Deviations         -22,065
jerkstoresup             5,886
TBC...
And finally, a piece of RP to set the scene...

quote:

Prison firm set to reform operations

3 Jan 2017

Awful Prisons LLC has announced a new pilot scheme to identify the firm's most efficient architects.

The announcement follows months of bad press following the state regulator's damning evaluation of the firm's prisons last year, branding all but one of them "awful" in nearly every metric (the one prison which was rated "terrible" has not yet officially opened and houses no prisoners).

The scheme, which will see the firm's architects applying their talents at a brand new prison on a rotation basis, will be used to identify those architects which hold the potential to turn around the firm's fortunes and improve its competitiveness in the struggling private prison industry.

Under the rules of the new scheme, each architect will be deployed on a 2-day shift and rated on the profit made during that shift. It is a scheme with "absolutely no identifiable flaws", according to today's press release, but a leaked internal memo suggests that top brass have "wavering confidence" that the scheme will be a success. Awful Prisons has a history of launching disastrous schemes, with last year's "Burn them all down for the insurance money" project consistently coming up against red tape, internal politics, rainfall and FBI investigations.

The scheme will go into effect at the new Goonsville Penitentiary.

Let's do this

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Aaaaand here's my update! (it starts at Day 2 because the initial build ended at 2am the following day)

Here is the prison I inherited:

---------

Day 2

02:00 – Started my shift at the new prison, which turns out to be in bumfuck, nowhere. Why did I sign up to this again? Oh well, at least this new place has started out in a somewhat decent shape... guess the company found some talent down the back of the sofa. First inmates arrive in just a few hours and there's no hot water, no cleaning, and worst of all, no staff room - so I got work to do.

05:00 - New cell blocks are coming along nicely. Dorms and private cells. I've requested the full complement of inmates - lord knows we have enough frickin' showers for them all anyway. The place is basically a water park with a prison attached.

06:00 - Had a gem of an idea. Company policy might not allow architects to have their own office for whatever stupid reason, but they can't stop me putting a desk in the staff room and locking the door. Policy that, you fucks.

08:00 - The inmates have arrived. Let's see what gaggle of bastards we ha- wait TWO snitches?

gently caress's sake, all we have is a holding cell! The cell blocks aren't even ready yet! The new fence isn't even up! At this rate I'm gonna be fired before I've had breakfast. Some pencil-pushing pissant at HO is trying to stitch me up, I just know it.

10:00 - I told the guards to put the snitches in the half-finished cell block and lock them in but I just found out one of them has shat the bed already and put the fat gently caress in the block instead. Then left him there unattended while workers run a cable instead of drop everything and get that loving fence up before he does a runner (or a waddle, anyway). I have locked everyone in until this mess sorts itself out. Hopefully he doesn't trip and fall on a worker.

14:00 - EVERYTHING IS FINE. Fence up, blocks open, snitches safely stored away until I can get a dedicated block for them, and I even managed to get an office for the psychologist who's spent the entire morning wandering the corridors. Now I can focus on finishing up the dorms, getting some new offices ready and putting up a secondary fence.

Day 3

01:00 - After a stressful first day, I've spent the early hours putting up some 'solitary' units for our inmates to file past on their way about the prison. A useful reminder, I reckon, not to start any trouble. Lookin' at you, fatty.

05:00 - Went out for a smoke and thought dawn had broke, but nope, it was just what felt like fifty high-vis vests all loitering around the garbage area. I guess things were too busy yesterday for me to notice we had far too many workers on payroll. With the urgent construction out of the way and enough capacity for some time, I've sacked half of them. That should get the accountant off my back.

08:00 - Oh boy oh boy, what delights does Head Office have in store for me today. Two more fat fucks, one with an unknown reputation. Other than being a glutton that is. Better install some weights benches in the yard. And some guy getting a license to practice law at the advanced age of 18? Ok.

20:00 - The day has proceeded without incident. A common room is now open, new security is in place and cleaning is underway.

21:00 - Uggggh, jinxed it. A fight broke out in the canteen between Lingenfelder and Brindley.

With the paperwork for a medical ward on site still 5 hours away, this is gonna end up on my file. Those absolute bastards. I have called in paramedics, but not after letting them bleed a little. Then they can stay in the solitary pens overnight, that'll teach the fuckers.

Day 4

02:00 - Finally, my shift is over. I have left a post-it note on the desk for the next schmuck with some key advice. Let's see if this place survives to see my return in about 2 weeks! :byewhore:

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 27, 2017

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
My updated cross posted from the other thread:

Here is the prison as I received it. Immediately I notice a few things that grind my gears. First, no remote doors. Second, no laundry. Third, no security room. Finally, no surveillance cameras. I shall aim to fix these things. I start by starting research on remote access. I'll want to star installing remote doors asap. I love remote doors.

Here is my new dorm and laundry room in progress! I also upped the intake to 10 per day. At least temporarily to fill the new space! This surely won't backfire.

I had 2 guys get into a fight in the cafeteria in the evening.

Kori was still unconcious hours later, so I had to call the paramedics. 4 guys seemed a little much, but whatever.

Wiring for the new door and camera system as well as the new security office!

Violence is continuing to be a problem.

Yep a big problem. We have a :siren: RIOT :siren:

The cause? They really wanted to kill a snitch named Duncan Nash. Guess he shouldn't have ratted his partners out on... Criminal Damaging?

Another fight later in the afternoon!

I decided to stagger the eat and shower times to reduce traffic and crowding.
I've also added a phone tap to hopefully ID snitches and other security threats as well as adding more guards.

Things are getting worse! But it's not my problem now! Good luck to our next Warden: Dareon

:siren: Download Link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3oVOHecs6g8SHNlcTNQdkg1ak0/view?usp=sharing

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Day 6

I get in the door and the first thing I hear, from across the goddamn yard, is the rattling of tin cups on cell bars. I get to my desk, and as I dig through the papers I find a still-sealed letter from the CEO. Apparently it's been here a week. I pitch it in the trash without opening it. As my first act of management, it feels good. Decisive. Then I decide to wander over and see why everyone's angry.

That would do it, there's 30 of them crammed into these dorms like sardines. So many of them have made an issue of things that they're hot-bunking in the two solitary cells. I arrive just in time to see one of them start kicking the toilet as another guy is using it. I order some more toilets in there and station a second guard, but it's a stopgap measure. We need better cells. On the way out I see an inmate with bloody toilet paper on a head wound. We also need some goddamn doctors.

I throw up a set of ropes and stakes for a new cell block, cribbing off the designs from my predecessor. I haven't worked much in the cold, and the last place I was at didn't know how hot a boiler got, resulting in a situation the inmates called the Ol' Spicy Psychologist.

And a small medical ward. The soothing sounds of truncheons meeting heads spurs me on.

As the inmates apparently get too tired to maintain their anger and climb into bed, we get the infirmary up and running. The broad-shouldered doctor immediately says something about saving lives and dashes off to administer injections. Sure, doc. You do you.

The metal detector pings on the morning's shipments of cabbage and potatoes.

Some dingus at the farm left their spoon in the box. The potatoes, meanwhile, had a pointy bit of metal that could have been dangerous if a prisoner got their hands on it. I made a note to mail a strongly-worded letter to the farm about diligence in packing techniques.

Eight AM rolls around, and we get our last load of high-volume prisoners to fill out our cells. I drop the intake back down to 4 and go to see who we've got.

Someone's loving with me. They all seem benign, at least, even if one of them smuggled in a drill. The guard says I don't want to know how.

Bartleby goes absolutely nuts in the showers, earning him a nice pair of bracelets. This is not how we deal with our feelings, Bartleby.

Truncheons are applied. It's just one in a long line of truncheonings in this place. Every hour there's two or three people running at someone fists up. There's a systemic problem here, in that this place is dead boring. People get two measly hours of free time, and protective custody doesn't even get that.

A nice book should fill the time. The warden mentioned a lot of these prisoners are illiterate, but that's not my problem. Fill them with picture books, maybe. And maybe put in a library sometime down the line, a classroom, maybe better the lot in life of these guys, don't let Truncheon Land be their one and only destination. I also throw radios and prayer mats in the canteen and dormitories. Worst-case scenario, it's another thing to break.

Around 4 PM we start work on the new cell block. Sorry for messing up the fenceline, but we gotta expand. I also take the Cell Block B grant and knock out the Security Procedure Certification as well. Not like we're short on money, but just in case.

So far, the quality of life improvements seem to be working. No more fist-fights, no smashed toilets, only a little cell-rattling.

I have heard the radios referred to as "straight fire", just driving home that I will never understand these young people.

The leftover Greens also seem to appreciate the improved holding cell.

Spoke too soon, Ian Howell started punching people for their coleslaw. So we still have problems, just fewer of them.

As midnight rolls around, we've got about half the building finished on the new cell block, and only a few prisoners are angry enough to make an issue of things. Going by the amount of booze complaints and vomit around, we may want to consider starting alcoholism counseling. We'd need a larger common room for that, however, and it would give people the opportunity to shank snitches, I think. Most of the complaints come from people being unable to see or talk to their families, so that's on the agenda for tomorrow.

Day 7

I realize I've been forgetting to keep an eye on the solitary cells, and in short order manage to recruit two confidential informants. Eight more are recruited throughout the rest of the day. The next order of business is a visitation area. There's a decent chunk of real estate between the psychologist's office and the showers, which unfortunately leads to the problem of people having to go through said rooms to reach it. Another problem is the choice between visitation tables and visitation booths. Tables allow whole families to visit, but allow contraband to be smuggled in straight across the table. Booths are much more secure, but allow for contraband to be arranged to be thrown into the prison. Now, our fences solve most of that problem, and we can wiretap the booths, but that would require another security room and more wiretaps.

I eventually decide on tables, and soon our new visitation room is going up.

I do make a small miscalculation and forget to put a drain under the door.

But the first visitors are already here, as well as a new quartet of prisoners!

You're making GBS threads me.

You're loving making GBS threads ME.

Oh drat, Chris just ripped off his shirt and started punching fools. There's another fistfight in the canteen a couple hours later, too, and two people smashing up the shower room.

LINGENFELDERRRR! :argh:

Otherwise, things are quiet for a while. I order some cell block searches, don't turn up much.

Three of the Heisenbergs are sitting together.

Aww, how cute, one of Hill's daughters came to see him.

Oh my god, Burgess found some scissors.

I can see the family resemblance.

As midnight rolls around, I stop and listen carefully. The cacophony that greeted me when I arrived is no more. There are occasional grumbles and one or two people with voices raised in anger, but I feel like my presence here has been a benefit. I improved quality of life, upgraded prisoner capacity, added medical facilities, enabled tearful family reunions, and made a number of other, minor improvements. Also, I accrued a $31,000 profit, mostly out of grant money.

To my successor, nielsm: I have left you enough prisoner capacity to hold out for your reign without building more. You are of course in charge, but I would recommend focusing on further quality-of-life improvements such as mail service or education. I think the dormitories are overcrowded, and the mixed nature of them makes the staggered lockdowns a little weird. The primary needs being complained about are Privacy, Freedom, and Alcohol.

:siren: Download link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B632PwypaMxbVWhFRWF0VTFQS2s

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I want in. I love this game and all its little fiddly bits. It's great to relax by following a prisoner through his day or keeping everyone on lockdown and watching who breaks first.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I want in. This looks like it's gonna kick rear end.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I have the save file.
I'll play my turn later today, have some errands to take care of first.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Dareon posted:

Three of the Heisenbergs are sitting together.

We know exactly where they're sitting, but how fast are they eating? We can never know.

edit:

Dareon posted:

Aww, how cute, one of Hill's daughters came to see him.

Hang on, is that the prison's first gang member? :unsmigghh:

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jan 7, 2017

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Hurray to having real individual cells and visitation! I didn't think I'd have the time to build a visitation room so I tried to at least cut the need a little with phones, which totally aren't just tools to spy on inmates.

Also hurray to our first gang member!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I exist!

I'm eager to see what nielsm does and how that will factor into my plan.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Playing now. Plenty of unplanned stuff happening... :supaburn:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Hang on, is that the prison's first gang member? :unsmigghh:

He was already here when I got the place, the only arrivals on my watch were Greens and Whites.

And if there was any mystery about that, yes I did set that up intentionally. I think I missed out on any of them having reputations that way, though.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Halfway through the second day...

...I just want to share this one quickly.

"OH GOD I NEED MY WEED RIGHT NOW! GOOOOD!!!"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
That Lingenfelder is a real piece of work.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

That Lingenfelder is a real piece of work.

If he's still around on my turn he's going right into the hole to become the bird man of Goonsville.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
He's been recruited as a CI already, though :stare:

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
Let Lingenfelder have this one.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Boring things first: Here's our current bureaucracy extents:

I'm going to research Education so we can maybe improve the life of the criminals in the long run.

Now, there's been lots of trouble recently, and I need to crack down on that. The dormitories are bound to be a hotbed of hidden weapons, drugs and whatnot. I order the guards to search everything and everyone during the night.

And yes, as guessed, they found plenty of contraband.

Unfortunately it isn't enough to stop things in the short run. It will take some time for everything to go into effect. The maxsec prisoners have barely made it to the canteen for breakfast before a fight breaks out.

Things do not end well.

One of our brave guards is murdered!

We have identified the perpetrator.

Meanwhile, the metal detectors have once again gone off while bringing in food. Another knife in the cabbages, and a power drill?!

Four new convicts have arrived.

Uhm...

:phoneb: Apparently it's urgent?

:supaburn: gently caress gently caress gently caress :supaburn:

CALL THE FIREFIGHTERS! RIGHT NOW!!

Phew, under control.

The damages are limited to the kitchen, and some light scarring in the canteen. We may not be able to get food ready on time for all the prisoners, but hopefully that won't cause any further trouble down the road.

Our workmen get to repairing the damaged areas and equipment.

There's still a bit of soot about, the janitors should get on that soon enough.

Amidst all the chaos, someone found a photo someone had taken in the canteen. No idea when this was, but it looks like happy days may be possible to achieve even in a detention facility like this.

Since we do have a psychologist employed, and an equipped common room, I start up an alcoholics group therapy program. I hope this can lower the frequency of alcohol smuggling, and in turn drunk rages from the prisoners.

With nothing else of importance happening, I go to greet some of the visitors to the incarcerated.

Was that a teen pregnancy? Mr. Hambley, knocking up a 15 year old girl when you are 18 yourself is grossly irresponsible.

The rest of the day passes without any major events, and in the evening a new expansion of the protected custody wing is taken into use.

We have constructed a small shower and canteen area dedicated to the vulnerable prisoners, that should let them dine and clean themselves without being put unnecessarily at risk.

In the cell block next by, inmate Burgess has obtained a sharp pair of scissors for himself and decides to go on a rampage. A guard catches him quickly and has him subdued without major incident.

However this event does prompt a nightly search of the entire general solo-cell block.

Definitely a good idea. Turns out a crafty prisoner has been attempting to dig his way out via the water pipes!

Overview of the entire area at the morning of day 9:

This morning, a fight breaks out yet again among the maxsec guys.

Also note the cooks bringing food to the protection wing canteen.

Gang member Christopher Hill is under lockdown and cannot participate in the common meal. Instead a guard brings some grub to his cell.

And another four new arrivals.

After ordering installation of some toilets in the common shower room, I get reports of a fight having broken out among the medsec inmates currently using it.

This is resolved without further incident.

...who is that running around near the outside fence?

MISTER LEANDER SHAMBLES!

You get a young girl pregnant, goes off to get yourself into trouble and leave the kid behind without a father, and then show absolutely no remorse or respect while serving. Smuggling in contraband?! This is ridiculous.

Nothing major happens after this.

A small shower niche is installed in the yard, to let the prisoners take care of personal hygiene during yard time too. This may make some of them less cranky.

Mr. White is not good at picking his fights.

And I definitely thought I saw that guy flashing another pair of scissors just before.

Another small annex is added to the dormitory wing, to hold a mail room. Two prisoners are employed to sort the letters received.

The extension to the protection wing has also been equipped with an indoor yard area. This will let the inmates in protected custody still enjoy some relaxation and entertainment, rather than staying locked up all day.

I invite some of our hired informants to the security room to get some news.
It is revealed that one of the general population prisoners is in fact a snitch and has previously served in law enforcement, and may be a hot target. I immediately reassign him to protected custody.

The informant also reveals that someone is smuggling drugs in with the food deliveries.

It turns out to be true. The guards find syringes loaded with hallucinogenic substances among the bacon. These dangerous objects are sent to destruction.

My turn as architect is drawing to an end, but some things still need to be taken care of.

An increasingly large number of prisoners have been granted legal right to a parole hearing, and we need to implement the procedure ASAP.

The psychologist's office next to the visitation room would be a suitable place to perform the parole hearings, so I order a new expansion of the administration building constructed, next to the medical ward. The psychologist's office could be moved here, it may also be a more suitable location for prisoners that require individual psychological consultation.

Finally, a new school building is nearing completion.

Here's the save

nielsm fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 7, 2017

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

:stare:

Those firefighters are not very good at their jobs!

Also:

Dareon posted:

He was already here when I got the place, the only arrivals on my watch were Greens and Whites.

And if there was any mystery about that, yes I did set that up intentionally. I think I missed out on any of them having reputations that way, though.

If we wanted to do boatmurdered-style goon-in-the-game, this sounds ideal... but I didn't know it was possible! Did you use a mod and can you just write up new names that easily?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

:stare:

Those firefighters are not very good at their jobs!

I have no idea why, but they just didn't open the hoses by themselves. I had to push H to make them spray manually.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
It looks like one of them caught on fire while walking into the kitchen, then walked over to the corner of the room and set the wall and floor on fire, and all his colleagues followed him and got burned in the process.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It looks like one of them caught on fire while walking into the kitchen, then walked over to the corner of the room and set the wall and floor on fire, and all his colleagues followed him and got burned in the process.

Indeed, I was an idiot and told them to walk right into the flames :downs:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

If we wanted to do boatmurdered-style goon-in-the-game, this sounds ideal... but I didn't know it was possible! Did you use a mod and can you just write up new names that easily?

Writing up new names is, as far as I know, not possible without a mod. What you do is go into the Extras submenu in the main menu and hit "Names in the Game". That gives you every static prisoner that people have bought for themselves. You can then search for names and transfer them into the prison on the next migration wave.

If some goons did buy in and put themselves in the game previously, we could add those that way.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
So far my contribution is sprinklers EVERYWHERE.

edit: And showers

edit2: Only 8 hours in an I've already got my first death

edit3: Those loving walter whites

Spookydonut fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 8, 2017

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Okay I've done my 2 day turn, just don't have the time to finish cropping the screenshots and writing a post today.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
No worries, there's no rush. Speaking of which though, is there an easier way to take a screenshot than via steam? If I could just pause the game and use the snipping tool that would be ideal. It's a right faff as it is

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

No worries, there's no rush. Speaking of which though, is there an easier way to take a screenshot than via steam? If I could just pause the game and use the snipping tool that would be ideal. It's a right faff as it is

I've found that external screenshot tools break with Prison Architect. I tried using ShareX's screenshotting to grab with, and it typically didn't grab what was actually showing, but rather what had been on screen last I switched back to the game after having switched out to something else. I.e. if I took multiple shots of different scenes, they'd all be identical.

Steam's screenshotting works perfectly, however. I just used that and went over them all afterwards. I used IrfanView to open the screenshots in Steam's screenshot folder and crop/resize them appropriately. I set up a hotkey in ShareX to upload from clipboard to LPix, so I could just copy from IrfanView and upload directly, instead of saving each edited shot to a new file first.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Huh, I think I have this game in my Steam backlog. I'll try to play along and learn something in the process.
First question: am I correct that CIs are active snitches that will blab on their fellow inmates, while plain Snitches are those that have already blabbed and now have to be protected from getting shivved/beaten to death when other inmates find out about it?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Pierzak posted:

Huh, I think I have this game in my Steam backlog. I'll try to play along and learn something in the process.
First question: am I correct that CIs are active snitches that will blab on their fellow inmates, while plain Snitches are those that have already blabbed and now have to be protected from getting shivved/beaten to death when other inmates find out about it?

CI's are prisoners you have hired to get intelligence, to actually get information from them you have to activate them, which causes a guard to bring the CI to the security room, and then you get some additional insight visible in the Intelligence view. If you then act on some of that information while the CI is active (and possibly a while after?), the prisoner gains "heat", and too much heat may cause him to be outed as a snitch among the general population. In other words, CIs are only in danger if you use them too much or too obviously.

Prisoners can also arrive with the "Snitch" reputation, meaning they're known in the underworld to previously have outed partners. You never know all the reputation tags on new arrivals, so you may not know someone has a reputation as a snitch before it's too late. CIs can help discover reputation tags, as can phone taps.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

If you timg LP screenshots, I won't read your LP as I'm not clicking on every picture. No one here is on dialup anymore, it's okay to leave them big.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Yeah old habit. I'll edit them.

Done. Thanks for pointing that out, it's enough of a faff posting them without making it faff for everyone else as well :P

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 8, 2017

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'd heard of this game but didn't realize it was a combination dwarf-like and tycoon thing. I think it's pretty ingenious to make the premise of the game that you're managing people antagonistic to your goals, as opposed to the premise of dwarf fortress that you're supposed to be a benevolent overseer (obviously not observed as such very often).

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Huh, I've heard of this game but never bothered to check it out. It looks very interesting.

Though I'm wondering why some prisoners have really short bios (They got sentenced for X crime and that's it) and others have full fledged ones.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fetus posted:

Huh, I've heard of this game but never bothered to check it out. It looks very interesting.

Though I'm wondering why some prisoners have really short bios (They got sentenced for X crime and that's it) and others have full fledged ones.

It was an early access game and one of the things you could buy was "Name in the game" which included the chance to write a bio. The ones with bio's are generally from that, though some were added directly by the devs. The ones with little or no bios are either random generated ones or "Name in the game" ones that didn't choose to have a bio included.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Can you make certain inmates have....accidents?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Scaramouche posted:

I'd heard of this game but didn't realize it was a combination dwarf-like and tycoon thing. I think it's pretty ingenious to make the premise of the game that you're managing people antagonistic to your goals, as opposed to the premise of dwarf fortress that you're supposed to be a benevolent overseer (obviously not observed as such very often).

Yeah this is probably the most interesting aspect of the game - you have to take care of the prisoners, but being prisoners they fundamentally don't want to be there. So it's a balancing act between making sure they're well treated and also laying down discipline to keep them in line.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Note that the vast majority of the "name in the game" bios are horribly written, and unfortunately have a tendency towards naming the crime that they supposedly committed, when the game will randomly generate the crime on file when loaded.

That's not even getting into the fact that prison architect randomly selects a (small) certain percentage of prisoners to have been falsely convicted, and are actually innocent. Including ones on death row. So bios that discuss crimes as fact disguise that even further. The whole "name in the game" thing really drops the quality level of the game... maybe if they had an actual editor going over them all, instead of just someone giving a cursory glance to remove the deeply offensive ones... but they didn't want to offend people who were paying more money.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

Can you make certain inmates have....accidents?

Whoops, accidentally built a wall in front of your cell door. Shame you'll have to starve to death now.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Why go through the effort of constructing anything when you can just put the offending inmate in a cell with your favorite murderous lunatic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Why go through the effort of constructing anything when you can just put the offending inmate in a cell with your favorite murderous lunatic?

Because you don't get paid for dead prisoners.

• Locked thread