Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Namtab posted:

Is there a reason why there's a block of wake up time in the sleep block?

To poo poo off all the prisoners and raise the temperature of the prison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

It stops people getting grumpy in the morning, by waking them up in the middle of the night they can fix their shower or poo poo needs if they have the appropriate stuff in their cells, before it gets too bad in the morning.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The "midnight poo poo" manoeuvre.

It's a bit cheeky really, and I kinda wish there was some sort of "spooling up" aspect to sleep where the first 2 or 3 hours of a stretch of sleep count for nothing and only then does the sleep need go down - so that disturbed sleep factors in and makes things worse. Mostly to make the night-time shakedown move more of a gamble.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Or that prisoners would wake up naturally at 3am and poo poo, so that they don't wake up at 8am and then spend 20 minutes screaming about it first.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

On the other hand, having your dudes freak out about nothing is a good callback to Dwarf Fortress.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Flesnolk posted:

Changed my mind, I'm out.

Nettle Soup posted:

It stops people getting grumpy in the morning, by waking them up in the middle of the night they can fix their shower or poo poo needs if they have the appropriate stuff in their cells, before it gets too bad in the morning.

Sleeping seems to be independent of the actual regime. If you schedule eating or free time in the middle of the night most prisoners will ignore it and stay asleep.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Contrariwise prisoners will not sleep during the day, so you can't make half the prison nocturnal to avoid shankings.

A!Though now I want to schedule a block of yard time in the middle of the night.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Nettle Soup posted:

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The "midnight poo poo" manoeuvre.

It's a bit cheeky really, and I kinda wish there was some sort of "spooling up" aspect to sleep where the first 2 or 3 hours of a stretch of sleep count for nothing and only then does the sleep need go down - so that disturbed sleep factors in and makes things worse. Mostly to make the night-time shakedown move more of a gamble.

Dumb newbie question. What's the practical difference between adding an hour of lockdown in the middle of the sleep, from adding an hour of lockdown at the END of sleep so they just take their shower and poo poo first thing in the morning?

Is it basically to negate them being pissy about an hour of lockup first thing in the morning? (Would it be that bad to just do lockup in the morning anyways?)

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Section Z posted:

Dumb newbie question. What's the practical difference between adding an hour of lockdown in the middle of the sleep, from adding an hour of lockdown at the END of sleep so they just take their shower and poo poo first thing in the morning?

Is it basically to negate them being pissy about an hour of lockup first thing in the morning? (Would it be that bad to just do lockup in the morning anyways?)

Being in lockdown will poo poo them off, doing it in the middle of the night before their needs get too serious also means they're less likely to kick off.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I want to see someone try to transform this hellhole into a Nordic resort prison.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Goon Prison, Day 42, at last.

I started Day 41 20 hours ago. I've rendered the video five times, an hour each time as it baffled me by cutting off the first few minutes. Then I had to upload over 2.6GB on Aussie internet. It just finished now.

And now I've realised I forgot to fix my commentary audio track. Hooray, mumbles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvnZzL7WAjY

So basically I've left the next architect with a waterfront workshop that needs a door and an experimental nocturnal population I did say 20 hours ago, yes? And three Trumps and a lot of gentlemen with an unfortunate last name. 'Tis a little more prepped for staff needs, I like to think.

And Mark Morris came back, and of his own accord this time.

E: Did I mention there's a Legendary named Featherstone?

VivaLa Eeveelution fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Feb 6, 2017

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Jesus where did all that cash come from. A million dollars?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

All me. :colbert:

I started with 250. 250 came from a bank loan, and about 300k from selling shares. The other 250 I made honestly.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It's the Trumps. They gave us a small loan.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

We will make the prison system great again.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Sooo...

Godna or Veloxyll, you're up.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
Hmm I don't currently have my laptop setup right. I'll go after the next guy blows all this money.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Okay, I'll work on loving things up this afternoon.

Grumble grumble my screenshot program is giving me trouble with taking pictures.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 10, 2017

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Veloxyll posted:

Okay, I'll work on loving things up this afternoon.

Grumble grumble my screenshot program is giving me trouble with taking pictures.

The Steam Screenshot tool will handily screencap.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Stream screenshots used to annoy me but then I found the local folder where they're all saved and it's all so much easier to process them.

Anyway I just (finally!) got done watching the latest update and will update the OP soon too (it's been a busy week)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Added Space posted:

The Steam Screenshot tool will handily screencap.

Yeh, apparently Irfanview stops screenshotting after I alt tab.

Third time's a charm, I guess!
Though UGH, that means I have to re-do the deployment/schedules AGAIN

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Because gently caress it, we'll do it live, gonna screencap and stream it in half an hour or so

Right: Stream at https://www.twitch.tv/veloxyll

(I will be posting the video to youtube assuming nothing fucvks up)

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 11, 2017

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

This prison is just :magical: for all the best reasons.

Keep up the good work, and hope it doesn't crash and burn.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Everythings' fine. Nothing unusual happened on my playthrough at all!

NOTHING AT ALL. I forgot I meant to find and use the Steam screenshotter. I will grab some screenshots as soon as Twitch stops being a butt. Alternative plans are afoot

Save here

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
And now there's a literal plague. Next thing you know a horde of locusts will descended on this wretched place.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Clearly one last parting gift by James Eaton before he leaves this place for good.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Added Space posted:

And now there's a literal plague. Next thing you know a horde of locusts will descended on this wretched place.

In my defense, I did not realise infirmaries had a maximum range. Otherwise it might not be so bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR4-x25Dgqg Video here, working on making a screenshot update now.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

There is a Mark Eaton in the prison, and I'm fairly sure there was a Simon Eaton at some point (perhaps released, or escaped). But probably no relation. James Eaton's file only lists a mother... though even that might be a bit optimistic. No human can spawn a being of such power.

A mother, but no father? Obviously he's the antichrist.

Bene Elim
Feb 9, 2010

The beast from Crete that can't be beat!
Binged the thread in an afternoon. I had hoped that someone would make a sucession fortress prison at some point and this has definitely not disappointed.

In the spirit of the great DF threads, I wrote a little ditty for our favourite inmate.

The Man they call 'James' posted:

James!
The man they call James!

He killed dog and bitch, then he phased through the wall
got tazed by the guards, then he just killed 'em all

Our love for him now
So hard to explain
The butcher of Goon-block
The man they call James!

Now James saw the wardens' heads breakin',
James saw the wardens lament
An' James, he just kept on slayin',
All the guards in his murderous bent,

But one said 'You can't do this to my people!'
Stop messin' with the warden's head!
Then the sniper took aim, drew a bead upon James,
And shot that bugger down dead.

And he rose from the dead, then he got killed some more
got locked in the dome, then fell once and for all,

Our love for him now
Ain't hard to explain
The legend of Goon-block
The man they called James!

Bene Elim fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 13, 2017

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
It's beautiful :allears:

I think while we wait for Galaga Galaxian to do the next turn I'll do an escape challenge and see how much of the prison I can burn down

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Well, security rooms are not general access now at least!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
The name is Morgan.

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even five hundred would be pretty nice.

As it turned out, I would live for only 11 more hours after after being committed to this hellhole for "pyromania". Mania. Ha! What is so manic about an enthusiasm for energy, the currency of our future?

And it seemed I wasn't alone, for this place was full of energy, if untapped. I spent the early hours, while confined to my box, lecturing my fellow inmates on the virtues of individuality with a series of pithy quotes. Lovegrove was one of the most receptive, although I could only reach him through my window into the next block. But before long, I had many converts, and the commotion only increased as the sky turned light and heralded a new day on this most unsuspecting prison.

When the morning tannoy sounded for the collective shower - a concept worthy of only my greatest disgust - I sought the source of the noise out immediately to witness for myself the seed that I had planted, this act of resistance.

Lovegrove, of course. As Lovegrove showed me in fascinating detail the move he made on the toilet to spring a leak, a guard rushed in and tried to neuter his fellow saboteur.

But this was a futile move. This small resistance, this reprisal against the oppressive state, had offered a glimmer of hope to all around, as I had to Lovegrove, and inspired something much greater.

The denizens of my own block had wrested control of their destinies from those who would dream themselves our masters, using their own weapons against them.

The collective shower had rightly become a focal point of the resistance.

As doctors went about healing the injured guards, not realising that the wounds to this regime were mortal, I found it trivial to slip in to the psychologist's office unnoticed and steal my prize.

The target was in sight! He who controls the sources of energy controls the means of survival. This prison would control the source no longer.

But the corridor swarmed with agents of the state. I would need a smarter approach.

The room behind the generator was empty. A perfect opportunity. I set the tables ablaze, soaking them first with a bottle of rum someone had kindly left behind, as if inviting me to the task at hand.

Foiled! A pack of dogs, bereft of morals, had burst through the door to silence me. But it was too late.

As I jumped and dodged the ravenous animals, the fire did its duty.

The hounds mauled me as the fire had mauled their precious prison. I laughed, for though the sprinklers had put out the fire and I was bleeding heavily, the lights has gone out. For he who controls the so... sourc... he who

When I came around, I stumbled out into the light, unsure if I was awake or dreaming. A line of hearses clogged the road. At its tail, a fire truck jogged my memory. I fumbled around in my pocket. My lighter. I still had it. And the firefighters were held at bay! This was my chance! The generator had been my holy grail, but there was more to burn. Resources exist to be consumed.

The lights were back on. How could this be? There must be another generator. I ran through the prison, shoving some uppity guy calling himself Creaser out of the way, and happened upon a sight most wretched -

- some sort of collectivist, forced labour camp! Brandishing my lighter I began freeing these souls immediately.

A solitary dog showed up and limped after me. The regime was breaking. But I would never see the fruits of my labour.

Some ungrateful, or perhaps brainwashed, inmate called Martin shanked me with a screwdriver, and then stabbed my unconcious body to death. As life faded from my body, I saw beyond the door at the back of that horrific place, a brighter future lying within reach of all of us.

I had lived but 11 hours, but my legacy would live for a thousand. I could settle for that.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
This escape story has some pretty huge implications for the Alpha Centauri canon.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I read in the update logs that damage to the prison gets repaired when you are caught. If you want to really torch the place you have to get tough enough and recruit followers to stave off the guards. On one hand there's an absurd number of guards; on the other the save as it stands now will create near-endless riots.

Added Space fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 14, 2017

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Just because we have something like a guard for every 2-3 prisoners!

And, you know, some other problems.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I've dropped Galaga Galaxian a PM because I don't think he knows it's his turn. Or maybe he took one look at the prison and decided to run a mile

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It's my turn! Truth be told I haven't checked the thread in at least a week and I guess I'll just not read the recent updates and go in semi blind. It'll be fun. I'll get the update in soon by Friday, maybe Saturday.

As for running... why? Should I? Let me bring my running shoes... :ohdear:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Starting my turn shortly I haven't forgotten.

[edit] Oh man, an epidemic! I've never dealt with one of those (not to mention this prison is about 4 times the size of the largest I've built and much MUCH more byzantine).

And now blood is spilling as much as vomit. :ohdear: Technical difficulties! Please Stand by!

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 19, 2017

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Starting my turn shortly I haven't forgotten.

[edit] Oh man, an epidemic! I've never dealt with one of those (not to mention this prison is about 4 times the size of the largest I've built and much MUCH more byzantine).

And now blood is spilling as much as vomit. :ohdear: Technical difficulties! Please Stand by!

Remember to own your mistakes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh I don't mean technical difficulties as in I'm ALT-F4ing, I just mean I'm totally in over my head.

• Locked thread