Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

StrixNebulosa posted:

If you timg LP screenshots, I won't read your LP as I'm not clicking on every picture. No one here is on dialup anymore, it's okay to leave them big.

You do know that timg doesn't affect loading times, right? It's to prevent breaking tables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Dareon posted:

You do know that timg doesn't affect loading times, right? It's to prevent breaking tables.

In all honesty, I don't care: I am not clicking on ten+ images to read an LP.

Now timg-ing a single huge shot like an overview of the prison, sure. Reasonable.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Iunnrais posted:

Note that the vast majority of the "name in the game" bios are horribly written, and unfortunately have a tendency towards naming the crime that they supposedly committed, when the game will randomly generate the crime on file when loaded.

That's not even getting into the fact that prison architect randomly selects a (small) certain percentage of prisoners to have been falsely convicted, and are actually innocent. Including ones on death row. So bios that discuss crimes as fact disguise that even further. The whole "name in the game" thing really drops the quality level of the game... maybe if they had an actual editor going over them all, instead of just someone giving a cursory glance to remove the deeply offensive ones... but they didn't want to offend people who were paying more money.

They could at least have put an option to remove backer prisoners from the game. Right now it's not even moddable - getting rid of them requires manually changing a text file which will get restored by Steam every update.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Iunnrais posted:

Note that the vast majority of the "name in the game" bios are horribly written, and unfortunately have a tendency towards naming the crime that they supposedly committed, when the game will randomly generate the crime on file when loaded.

That's not even getting into the fact that prison architect randomly selects a (small) certain percentage of prisoners to have been falsely convicted, and are actually innocent. Including ones on death row. So bios that discuss crimes as fact disguise that even further. The whole "name in the game" thing really drops the quality level of the game... maybe if they had an actual editor going over them all, instead of just someone giving a cursory glance to remove the deeply offensive ones... but they didn't want to offend people who were paying more money.
Reasons to make a women's prison include: not having to deal with that, more than anything else.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

In all honesty, I don't care: I am not clicking on ten+ images to read an LP.

Now timg-ing a single huge shot like an overview of the prison, sure. Reasonable.

This. If it's timged from the start, it's clearly not important.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Jeeze those backer things are more obnoxious than Pillars of Eternity's backerghosts everywhere.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So is that a fairly standard opening strategy? Bring in a ton of dudes and hope you can deal with the fallout while the funding trickles in to get the amenities?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

Jeeze those backer things are more obnoxious than Pillars of Eternity's backerghosts everywhere.

I've run into at least one fursona while going through prisoner bios. There's rarely a better reason to single a prisoner out for diabolical torture.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Glazius posted:

So is that a fairly standard opening strategy? Bring in a ton of dudes and hope you can deal with the fallout while the funding trickles in to get the amenities?

Well, there are also grants that are offered. Little "missions" to set up various aspects of the prison that offer a cash reward (and sometimes an advance). They can be pretty useful to getting started.

There is also the option to sell your current prison and use that cash to start a new one.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

I've run into at least one fursona while going through prisoner bios. There's rarely a better reason to single a prisoner out for diabolical torture.

:v: I hope it turns up in the LP!

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 10, 2017

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

How long until someone sets up a Thunderdome gladiator death-pit ?

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

inscrutable horse posted:

How long until someone sets up a Thunderdome gladiator death-pit ?

I'm curious about this as well. Can we expect it in the next update? Will gladiators be classed by weight or by propensity for violence or both?

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

Well, backer Goku clones in PoE at least got their descriptions proofread and corrected.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Day 10-12

Is delayed because loving imgur uploaded my screenshots out of order and I can't get it to upload them in the right order and I'm about to kick off like Christopher Hill

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Spookydonut
Posting

=[Status Effects]=
++++ Angry

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Speaking of which, I think my favourite part of Prison Architect is when a prisoner spends 4 hours in a parole meeting with all his needs slowly ticking up, gets denied parole at the end of it, and then immediately goes off in a huff to have an Angry Poo

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Day 10-12

First things first.

Some details on the prison, heats okay but those cell qualities is probably the source of most of the issues.
The regime is completely pants on head stupid. Like, this is guaranteed to cause max sec prisoners to kick off every breakfast.

After the fire I'm going to add more sprinklers everywhere, because I know this prison is going to need them in future.

New psych office up and running that doesn't involve prisoners getting drugs every time they visit. (jesus nielsm)

A no brainer that wasn't added, future wardens will want to build a kennel and stick a dog on this door too.

First kick-off on my watch is our resident gang member.

New cell block

And some shower blocks.

This is not great to see.

This is going to make it easier to deal with though.

Parole is up and running.

At some point soon someone will want to add more parole rooms though.

My first batch, no dumb backer bios but a video game pirate.

loving walter white.

And now this guy is trying to escape? There's some weird bug with this layout that I can't figure out.

We're headed towards a riot.

Yeah good job no one putting phones in, visitation isn't great when there's a 'backlog' of family need.

Phone banks in the yard and canteen should fix this issue for now.

loving WALTER WHITE

Some new guards dropped right into the problem area.

New block progressing well.

New guards have calmed things down I think.

loving. WALTER. WHITE.

And now I had to wait almost an entire day for this door to be installed to complete the building.

Angry++++++++++++++++

No but seriously, with mixed-sec prisons, stagger your sleep blocks, shove them into showers as they wake up then immediate breakfast with phones and other poo poo in the canteen to start the day off as bloodless as possible.
But... I'm only in charge for another 36 hours so not my problem!

The "new" access only zoning is pretty cool.

Shower block progressing.

This guy tried to sneak into the building site to get some contraband thrown in, but I noticed him and now he's in deep poo poo.

New phones wired up.

Danger is way down now.

Another "new" thing to me, mouse over a job in progress and it shows you which worker is doing it.

loving finally.

It's going to be better to have the showers in the middle.

Cha-ching!

We're half way there.

Good to see.

Shower progress.

And this is finally done.

Schedule some classes in our classroom.

Also I fine tuned the guard deployments for the regime, so guards aren't sitting around the canteen at midnight.

Showers are done.

Mostly.

Some quick cloning.

Good job, 91% of you are getting paid this month.

Oh but uh... we don't have an armory

Day 11.

Okay fixed, the storage can live outside next to deliveries.
But uh... ooops.

Oh uh...

Okay fixed *dusts hands*

First shots fired already.

Only one backer bio but it's actually a decent one.

Parole sessions still going along nicely.

Chris tried to kick off during breakfast not realising the guards have tasers now.

But then as soon as the taser wears off he just kicks off again.

Another success!

Oh :eng99:

Good job dickhead.

Doing well here.

Oh forgot to station guards in the new block.

Enjoy lying in your own poop on the floor while getting searched.

Oh gently caress this'll be good.

Yeah right-o mate.

Fixed.

*dusts hands and walks off*

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By7GgkR2s1CWOEtvZHdORlBGNnM/view?usp=sharing

But seriously, I've added enough cells that the guy following me doesn't need to build any assuming he sticks to 4 per day.
Guards have tasers and armor.
We have parole now.
Phones are keeping down the family need.
Showers attached to all cells blocks so the one next to the holding cell doesn't turn into a murder box every morning.

Spookydonut fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 11, 2017

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Thank god for tasers.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
I have the save file, I will do my turn tomorrow and hopefully live-stream it on my Twitch. I have been avoiding the other updates, not because I don't want to read your stories but because I think it will be more fun to go in to this cold and not really know what kind of prison I will be working with.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Nice work, some much-needed efficiencies going in there.

James Eaton was the prison's very first arrival! At 21 he's done pretty well for himself, pity he picked up some extra convictions in that court case (a pity for us that is)

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
So wait, is James Eaton not actually a gang leader?

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

So wait, is James Eaton not actually a gang leader?

He was converted into a legendary prison by the random events, he's not technically a gang leader.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Awww, so he wasn't secretly a super scary dude the whole time? That is kind of unfortunate. It'd be funny to see some MaxSec guy try to gently caress up a MinSec only for the MinSec to just kill him with his teacup or something. :v:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
That could still happen thanks to his reputations, it's just that he isn't technically considered a gang member and won't take part in gang-activities in the prison. He'll still be a nightmare to deal with because if he kicks off it'll take like 50 guards to take him down.

We do have a new gang member though, Paul Moon, and he's in the green gang (Chris Hill is in the blue gang). Two rival one-man gangs!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

That could still happen thanks to his reputations, it's just that he isn't technically considered a gang member and won't take part in gang-activities in the prison. He'll still be a nightmare to deal with because if he kicks off it'll take like 50 guards to take him down.

We do have a new gang member though, Paul Moon, and he's in the green gang (Chris Hill is in the blue gang). Two rival one-man gangs!

Without gangleaders in the prison gang members are really just slightly more dangerous prisoners.

Also we have tasers and body armor now so that legendary isn't killing any guards easily.
Wait no he's extremely deadly extremely tough :unsmigghh:

Glad I didn't have to deal with him for more than 30 minutes.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
so what does it take to send someone to death row?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Thefluffy posted:

so what does it take to send someone to death row?

The prisoner must arrive to your prison with a death sentence, existing prisoners can't be converted to death sentences.
Then the prisoner stays for a very long time, during which he must go through multiple hearings and in each of those his sentence can be overturned, may even be proven innocent.
After sufficient time, you can make the call to execute them. The execution itself is also a major deal, where the entire prison is forced into lockdown, and various things happen.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
You also have to unlock Death Row from the tech tree before you can get a death row prisoner. It's on the Lawyer branch.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

It's annoying you can't get a judge to send the super tough, super volatile gang leader to death row once he amasses , say, a 500 year sentence, but I suppose that's what freefire is for.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Spookydonut posted:

He was converted into a legendary prison by the random events, he's not technically a gang leader.

Weird. I got that event once and it did turn the prisoner into a gang leader; he suddenly had the gang ink and managed to recruit like a fourth of the prison over the course of the week. That prison failed in wonderful fashion.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
I know I said I'd do it yesterday but now I really am going to stream my turn: https://www.twitch.tv/jamsque

I'll upload the save and post a youtube archive link when I'm done, but I'll write up a text-and-images post too.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Well that certainly is a prison...

Save is up here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2Oid3kfEa4VWVJ6MXVzSTE5YVk

Good luck Nettle Soup!

Twitch VOD of my turn is here and will be available for a month: https://www.twitch.tv/jamsque/v/114311601

I'll edit a youtube link into this post once the export is finished, and I will hopefully put up a text-and-images summary of my turn later today, although I failed to take ANY screenshots so we will see how that goes.

Here is that youtube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U83Z30iJ7X4

Jamsque fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 13, 2017

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Will get to it in the morning. :)

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Jesus Christ the prison is falling to bits!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Jamsque posted:

I know I said I'd do it yesterday but now I really am going to stream my turn: https://www.twitch.tv/jamsque

I'll upload the save and post a youtube archive link when I'm done, but I'll write up a text-and-images post too.

Going in blind was kinda dumb.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Spookydonut posted:

Going in blind was kinda dumb.

Also kinda dumb was completely forgetting about informants and checking new intake for snitches and former law enforcement. Whoops.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I like that you assumed James Eaton was supermax because of a policy issue and let him into genpop, after he had already killed two people.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Jamsque posted:

Also kinda dumb was completely forgetting about informants and checking new intake for snitches and former law enforcement. Whoops.

Also Also dumb was me researching micromanaging and then not enabling searches on incidents.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

I like that you assumed James Eaton was supermax because of a policy issue and let him into genpop, after he had already killed two people.

I mean, yeah, but since there were no cell blocks for min/normal/max/supermax and no regime differences between max and supermax he was kinda already in genpop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jamsque posted:

I mean, yeah, but since there were no cell blocks for min/normal/max/supermax and no regime differences between max and supermax he was kinda already in genpop.

Over the past couple days I've been thinking about that dude and how the best way to keep him out of the general population in the prison as it stands... is to put him in Protected Custody. :downs:

• Locked thread