Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Nice, caught this one as early as possible. And I even played the game because I gave myself an early Christmas gift, too!

How far have you played already? Is it still useful to give basic mechanic tips? For example, I never see people recommend trying the transform and L2 attacks of weapons, as well as the running R2s - all of those exist, and especially for the Saw Cleaver the transform attacks are amazing. I told this to my buddy just starting out and he's totally into it, only now he often dies because he wants to chain L1-attacks and just folds and unfolds his weapon, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Oh yeah, I always forget that the Saw Cleaver is one-handed in both forms. In fact, only the Hunter Axe isn't of the starting weapons, but I used that for most of the game :v:.

One thing you might not have been told yet which I see a lot of people neglect: rallying (getting back health to the orange bar) works as long as the enemy hasn't fallen over yet. So if a fucker hits you and you kill it right back, don't stop swinging! You will usually get one or two more units of regeneration of from their blood, making trading where you win hugely favourable for many weapons (some don't have high regain/don't attack fast enough, but the Cleaver for sure fulfills both).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Also, IF the Wiki can be believed (which is, like, 50% at best) the cane form has a hidden damage type called Righteous, which makes it deal additional damage to a certain subset of enemies found in exactly one area. Some of these mechanics are weird.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Man, your co-commenters' advice was just loving you this time!

"Yeah, you totally opened the shortcut!" (even if you did, Central Yharnam is complicated enough that you'd never find back to it without going all the way, no?)
"You can parry bosses!" - that's true, but not for Cleric Beast!
"Breaking limbs doesn't give you any real advantages" - yeah, about that...
"Insight makes enemies hit harder" - that's wrong. It does however make you more susceptible to a certain bad status effect and less susceptible to a good one.

Also, there's another very useful shortcut to the back of the house which you could have taken - maybe interesting for another casual playthrough? It's on the plaza where the brick troll hammers against the door. You might have noticed a window where laughing comes from, I don't remember if you talked to the inhabitants (who only laugh at you more). Next to the window, you can break some debris and fall down among some dog cages - those are right behind the other door of the house.

So anyway, the limb-breaking mechanic is actually super useful to the point where if you know what you are doing, you can shut down some bosses completely. It's just very hard to realize exactly what is happening during the Cleric Beast fight because you're probably panicking, it's a visual mess at first (and second, tbh) glance and the camera is doing the merry-go-round. I didn't understand it until reading up on it and then paying close attention afterwards, either. Which got me my first Cleric Beast DEATH because it's the perfect boss to just R1 spam into oblivion. I hosed around trying to "get it right" and it just stomped on me instead.

The way limbs work: many bosses have hidden health bars on some body parts, and depleting those health bars can stun them for a short time or even stagger them (so you can riposte, aka "visceral attack" them). They will also take a little more damage if you keep hitting the broken limb. For Cleric Beast, this means that you can briefly stun it four times - two arms, two legs - and just keep hitting as it's reeling, with more and more damage racking up. The fun part about Cleric Beast in particular is that it can heal its broken limbs, which only serves to hurt it in two ways - during the heal animation (the red glow that you kept seeing during the fight), it's helpless; and of course, then you can just break the limb again, keeping it basically stunlocked.

And one MORE fun thing to truly gently caress CB over - it also has a head, which you can "break". If you happen to have a weapon that can hit high enough - say, the R1 of the transformed Cleaver - then you can easily do that, and this will stagger it, setting up a visceral. If it heals the head again, you can repeat that process! This may also happen while you're just swinging, if you break a leg of his, he'll crouch down and you can reach the head. None of which you'd realize if you just kept hammering R1 while the camera goes wild, but it's actually a really technical boss.

A final thing about the gun: the (terrible) fextralife Wiki says that you can stagger it with two gunshots to the chest, which clearly does nothing as we saw; I suspect the wiki writer's two gunshots hit the head instead, breaking it normally, it just has little health. But that is the way for you to "parry" the Cleric Beast with the gun.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

There are illusory walls in BB, but only hiding very optional treasure rooms in the game's very optional optional content. I've found exactly one of them so far, reportedly there are...five?...fixed ones.

However, I can think of at least one instance where hitting a "wall" breaks it, but a) it's rather obvious imho, b) your helpful messengers will probably tell you anyway and c) that, too, is optional.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Yeah, liquidy told me last night about them and I added an annotation in to mention that. :v:
Man, I was doing the dishes while watching the video, don't judge me :(

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Gahs-ko-ah-nye

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Swedish Howler posted:

Currently getting crazy owned by Chaos Argate in PVP, help

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Aw, they should have let you fight the guy

Friend of mine did and just kicked him off the tower first try!

If you had to fight him regularly, well, you can actually get back down to the foot of the ladder within like 30 seconds. You can just run off the first building and keep rolling!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Chalices are super boring in comparison to the main game, but I like to do them whenever I'm failing at a boss too much, don't want to run through the next area just now, or just if I need a bunch of Echoes right now. If you do them as a side activity while progressing, it's fine; just stop the Chalice progression once they get too crazy and return a little stronger. On my first character, I ignored them until way late and sleepwalked through the first ones, that was a giant unfun slog.

For a stream unless you're super into summoning people to play with you in them, they're not ideal, though. And almost impossible to do well in an LP context. I'd say "definitely bring guests" but you know :v:. Wondering what ChaosArgate has planned, though...

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Brainsuckers are the loving worst enemy in this game, I hate them so much. Just annoying as hell to fight.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The Bagman powerup makes them deal even MORE damage (think being crushed between two trucks instead of being hit by just one), and they noticeably get more aggressive with their attacks. They might also lose their superstrange and seemingly useless energy sphere and drag-in moves, so they only have jumps, punches and sick kicks to truckcrush you with.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I cringed so hard when I saw you had 4 Vials left, then spent all your Echoes on two levels, leaving you with exactly nothing...I have GLADLY spent an entire boss' worth of Echoes on Vials before, it just saves so much hassle.

The Bagmen thing goes like this: they do show up after BSB and only after BSB. Amelia has nothing to do with it afaik. If you do BSB very late, you even cannot ever go to Hypogean Gaol! (saying why would be spoilers for the thread, dunno how long you have played)

Now, that does mean that getting shot at by Djura at least once is absolutely mandatory, and no, not killing beasts doesn't affect his hostility at all. Then you kill BSB, go to bagtown, kill Paarl, open the back door and talk to Djura like you did; he's all like "whoa didn't see you come in", apparently having forgotten you. You've seen this.

It's even slightly more "obscure" than that: you do not have to kill Paarl for all of this to happen. You can see Paarl, get killed or Mark out, warp to BSB's lantern and walk backwards through Old Yharnam, and Djura will still be non-hostile. Now that doesn't make any sense, but maybe they wanted to make it a little more likely for players to stumble upon the event, as Paarl is a huge fucker if you go there asap.

Speaking of: Paarl is a huge fucker and I consider him the worst boss in Bloodborne. He's a twitchy mess who'd be hard enough to hit if he had regular proportions, but he has gangly-rear end legs that are constantly moving and you cannot lock on to them. It's just frustrating. His difficulty is also really binary: the first time I killed him, he didn't get to do ANYTHING because you can chain-break his legs if you're aggressive enough with charged R2s (I recommend the Hunter's Axe spin move). To elaborate on that: each leg can be broken separately, getting rid of his lightning field. He'll collapse for a bit, allowing you to wail on him; if you wail on his head, you can "break" that, making him open for a visceral.

After he gets back up, he might swing at you lazily a bit, but mostly retreat quickly and put the lightning field up again. This doesn't hurt you. So the best strategy is to break a leg first asap, try hitting his head and/or other legs while he's down, then keep following him closely as he backs off, keep hitting while he charges up and quite possibly break another leg because that's the only time he stays loving still, guaranteed :argh:. Repeat until he's out of hit points and never let him get a moment's rest. If he can jump and dance around, he's even more loving annoying to hit than BSB and it drives me up the loving wall.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Neither of you should feel too bad, co-operators get scaled down in level and stats to match yours.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Nice job on the Witches! I also really like their fight. A gimmick done right, imho - they are just fragile enough to not make it tedious.

Fun fact: if you have a lot of Insight and I think the day needs to have progressed one more stage, the witch servants start spawning all over Hemwick - so if you do this optional area quite late, the difficulty actually "scales". That's pretty nice. It also means that the crazy summoned monsters are not actually real, or at least the only become real to you if you are insightful enough...

...which means that if you have no Insight whatsoever, you can change the boss fight drastically in your favor!

"But Simon, don't you get one Insight for seeing the boss?"

That's right, but you can Mark out and spend that. Afterwards, well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x34y6v-eFcI

(this also shows that the second witch is always there, she just doesn't have a health bar)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

You can also kill Valtr asap to get the man outside to spawn. You'll have to fight him in succession, though!

That's how you get the item he drops early instead of having to farm Vermin (if, like me, you're cheap and have no online on your PS4).

Also, amazing job at the Shadows. That took me far longer (but most bosses do - I tend to think too much if that makes sense. BB really wants you to just get in there, and that does work far more often than not!).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

You guys are too handholdy sometimes, I swear. Of course you're intended to "be here" in the Nightmare Frontier - you are obviously encouraged to try out the Tonsil Stone as soon as you get it, and they specifically make it available at a certain point in the game. Also, Argate was doing quite fine...so far.

Otoh, he was letting all the Crystal Lizards go which hurt me deeply, so nevermind I guess :v:.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Who says anything about finishing? I'm talking about you dying five to ten times and THEN getting told "you know this is completely optional, right?" :kheldragar:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Good Lord you murdered Logarius. Parrying is the key to doing really well against him, but that's usually easier said than done. You're just insanely good at it.

You did so much damage that he skipped the power-up move and just went straight to the second phase - which means that he doesn't have an aura around him which he'll usually get from the charge-up, and that aura will prevent bullets from hitting him (it happened in your first try, I think). That made the fight even more of a slaughter!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The whip is loving perfect for Amy, I have no idea what your co-commentors were on about!

Though it IS also really great to shoot her in the face with a cannon. I did that my first kill and it loving owned so much.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Yeah Ebby was the last boss I killed because I could just NOT get her down. She'd hit me with the magic and instant kill me (like the first attempt here), or destroy me with the charge attack over and over and over again. It really is loving hard to dodge, but Argate is just loving good at it, I guess.

I recently had a friend play Bloodborne for the first time on my PS4 and he did her first try. I kinda figured because I know he's better at Souls games than I am, but he also used the BoM and even more ruthlessly just slaughtered her. Didn't even see the magic attack...or the divebomb charge...or much of anything really.

My problem is I think to much. I want to understand bosses and dodge their moves well and I see "ah, this is her weakpoint" and aim for the head, try to bait out attacks and such, when really, I should just R1 her flanks until the cows come home. But then I get HIT and I didn't see it COMING and shouldn't I be doing this SMARTER??? But no. I shouldn't. I should just keep hitting. I still am struggling to make myself do that. Argate has mastered it already.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I have no idea why the Living Failures of all things have my second-favourite track in BB (after Ludwig I mean come on), but they do. I think it sounds like Star Wars music after the initial buildup, which is...strangely appropriate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Also, the Chalices = Lore thing? Well, there is a huge lore thing riiiiight at the end of the Pthumeru Chalice chain, related to Queen Yharnam. How do you open that final layer of Pthumeru Chalice? Well, it requires that single Living String you just obtained from its only source.

You can buy Blood Rocks after killing the Wet Nurse. It's really annoying because it's the best thing to spend Insight on, so it's a good idea to save up, but then you spend the entire game having high Insight. At least after you bought all the armors because FASHUN.

Finally, if you gently caress up (or consciously make, I guess) a simple choice coming up very soon, Mergo's Wet Nurse might well be your final boss. Which is absolutely underwhelming, as you stated correctly; considering the point where you fight it, even with no DLC in-between, the Wet Nurse is really easy.

• Locked thread